Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not holding my breath, but intrigued all the same:

"Dubbed as iOS 5 Battery Fix, currently the tweak is only available to VIP members of the insanelyi forum/repository. Although in public beta, various tests suggest pretty miraculous results, and prove that battery retention can be achieved amongst all iPhone 4S users."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Xenomorph posted:

First jailbreak tool, used for my 4S and iPad 2:
absinthe-mac-0.1.2-1.zip

Second jailbreak tool, used for my wife's iPad 2:
absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip
-1 and -2 is just safari naming the file differently than the same file that you've already downloaded.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

TrueWhore posted:

Speaking of status bar tweeks, what is the current best of for status bar icons for mute and unread mail? Use to be statusbar notifier or some such. What works well on ios5?
LockInfo has options for both, if you're into using lockinfo I guess.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

coldplay chiptunes posted:

-1 and -2 is just safari naming the file differently than the same file that you've already downloaded.

Perhaps those weren't the filenames, then.

0.1.1 and 0.1.2, possibly. I thought there were two releases before 0.2 came out.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Is anyone else having issues with Navigate From Maps, specifically in conjunction with TomTom? When I put in an address and tell it to navigate there, TomTom opens it up but won't go to the specific address, just a random point on that street.

For example, pulling up "123 Main Street, Mytown" and pressing "Navigate here with TomTom" will just end with the directions at "Main Street", nowhere near where I may want to end up. Newly jailbroken 4S here, although I was having the exact same issue with my jailbroken 4 last year. The changelog for the app claims it was last updated in December to add iOS5 support.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

TrueWhore posted:

Speaking of status bar tweeks, what is the current best of for status bar icons for mute and unread mail? Use to be statusbar notifier or some such. What works well on ios5?
I've been using OpenNotifier without issue. It has both of your desired options, as well as the ability to assign status bar icons to any other app that has notifications.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Those of you with SiriToggle (the legit Big Boss version)

half the time the brightness thing doesn't work. I will say poo poo like:

Reduce brightness to 20%.

or

Lower Brightness to 20%.

It brings up Wolfram Alpha lookups on what 20% 'means'.

The App-Launching and Wifi enabling/disabling, etc, work pretty much all the time though.

Anyone else getting similar oddness with the brightness thing?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Valencia posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Navigate From Maps, specifically in conjunction with TomTom? When I put in an address and tell it to navigate there, TomTom opens it up but won't go to the specific address, just a random point on that street.

For example, pulling up "123 Main Street, Mytown" and pressing "Navigate here with TomTom" will just end with the directions at "Main Street", nowhere near where I may want to end up. Newly jailbroken 4S here, although I was having the exact same issue with my jailbroken 4 last year. The changelog for the app claims it was last updated in December to add iOS5 support.
I don't have tomtom installed anymore but navigate from maps works perfectly with navigon, (which I prefer.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Now that there's an A5 jailbreak, will it be possible for someone to create a siri port for non-4S phones (or iPods) that doesn't require setting up proxies and such? I don't know a lot about how siri works, so it could easily be something that's just downright impossible, but I seem to recall someone saying that something like that would become possible once the A5 jailbreak was released.

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche
I was getting white icons and crashes all over the shop after jailbreaking with redsn0w and installing sbsettings to hide some icons.

I went stock for a couple of weeks but missed the jailbreak too much.

I have an iPad 1 wifi only, I have a few key cydia apps installed:

RetinaPad
FakeClockUp
NoLockscreen
CleanStatus
StayOpened

What else would you lot recommend?

How good is FullScreenSafari?

Edit: FullScreenSafari is nice.

Over The Road fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 23, 2012

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there any way to get a VPN toggle with IntelliScreenX?

I'm debating whether or not to purchase it or just use SBSettings...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Now that there's an A5 jailbreak, will it be possible for someone to create a siri port for non-4S phones (or iPods) that doesn't require setting up proxies and such?

no, you will need a 4S unique identifier

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Jailbreaking just doesn't like me! :(

Everything was working good for a while, then while trying to fix some settings in BiteSMS to stop it from being so irritating and taking away my notifications and stuff, my phone respringed and then froze on my lock screen for a good 2 or 3 minutes.

Forced a shut-down, and now my phone can't get past the white Apple logo when trying to reboot. It's meant to be untethered so I shouldn't have to use my PC should I?

edit: Haha and just as soon as I hit Submit Reply, the phone boots! I guess the jailbreak just makes it exceedingly slow to come back up.
Well, I may as well post some content then. Is there a good tweak that can be put into SBSettings to turn off the vibrate when I have the physical switch set to Silent? Basically a night mode so it won't buzz and wake me up while I'm asleep. Auto-dimming the brightness would be cool too, but optional.

edit2: And so long as I'm posting, BiteSMS is being a pain in the dick with disabling all my Message notifications and not letting me see the Badges in my actual Messages app. Is there some other (free) app I can use for a Quick-Reply box that doesn't come with all the other junk?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2012

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Any way to add Flash support to the iPad2 now that we're jailbroken?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Bitesms is supposed to replace your messages app, there's even an option to hide it in the settings...

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a good tweak that can be put into SBSettings to turn off the vibrate when I have the physical switch set to Silent? Basically a night mode so it won't buzz and wake me up while I'm asleep. Auto-dimming the brightness would be cool too, but optional.

iScheduler allows you to set all sorts of settings and toggles on a schedule - perfect for disabling vibrate at night, as well as lowering brightness I believe.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

iScheduler allows you to set all sorts of settings and toggles on a schedule - perfect for disabling vibrate at night, as well as lowering brightness I believe.
iScheduler looks awesome but I'd much rather those things be a toggle rather than at a set time, since I don't want it turning off vibrate on nights where I'm up late.

m0isty posted:

Bitesms is supposed to replace your messages app, there's even an option to hide it in the settings...
I just get annoyed that it seems like every time I launch BiteSMS, notification banners for new SMSs seem to become disabled and it will now only vibrate once instead of twice when I get a new message. I guess I just don't like apps that, when launched, start changing all my settings without telling me about it or making it easy to switch it back.

edit: Basically, all I want is a wee quick-reply box that can handle SMS and iMessage and nothing more. If the app can do other things, I want to be able to disable it all and keep using Messages like normal (with notification banners, maybe a status icon at most) but with the advantage of quick-reply if accessing the text through a notification. Any suggestions? Or maybe an ideal way to set up BiteSMS to do this?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 24, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Unicorn Vomit posted:

Not really. There's Frash, which works the way Flash does on Android (flash objects show as big grey squares that you can tap to activate), but 90% of content, including all video players and games, fail to work and the stuff that does work has like a 50% chance of crashing Safari.

There's a browser out there that handles flash video but in a really clunky way and doesn't work with any non-video flash content.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Unicorn Vomit posted:

iSwifter (no JB required.)
Frash (JB required.)
If you've a PC or Mac on all the time use Splashtop as a proxy.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Regarding the Activator app, I'm not really looking on how to use it. I'm rather asking whether anyone has some good ideas on how to put it to good use.

I'm too busy to experiment, and I really don't want to experiment. But if someone has or knows of the best uses for Activator, I'm all ears.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

randyest posted:

iSwifter (no JB required.)
Frash (JB required.)
If you've a PC or Mac on all the time use Splashtop as a proxy.

I had decent results with Puffin browser, though it's been ~six months since I last used it.

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!
The swipe up from the bottom of the screen gestures are really useful. I have one side assigned to show the native app switcher and one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps. Feels very natural and well-suited for one-handed operation.

Also, I find that assigning hold volume up/down to play/pause or next track is really useful for when your phone is in your pocket. Another nice tweak is SpringFlash which turns the flash on/off to use as a flashlight through an Activator action (no need for unlocking and using a separate app).

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

toastR posted:

I have one side assigned to show the native app switcher and one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps. Feels very natural and well-suited for one-handed operation.
Nice. Stuff like this is what makes Activator so great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

toastR posted:

one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps. Feels very natural and well-suited for one-handed operation.

This is loving awesome. Like "holy poo poo how am I just trying this out now" awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 24, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stumpus posted:

Regarding the Activator app, I'm not really looking on how to use it. I'm rather asking whether anyone has some good ideas on how to put it to good use.

I'm too busy to experiment, and I really don't want to experiment. But if someone has or knows of the best uses for Activator, I'm all ears.
On my iPhone I set:
- "From Anywhere":
- - "long hold power button" = springflash (turn on LED flash for flashlight, must install springflash from cydia first)
- - "triple press home button" = open camera app

On my iPad I set:
- "From Anywhere"
- - "power connected" = launch Guardian Eyewitness (app)

I don't use anything else, but as you can see you can set anything to do anything, so it's pretty handy if you're into automating tasks and saving a few clicks. If you don't care, ignore it; you don't have to use it. :shobon:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I had decent results with Puffin browser, though it's been ~six months since I last used it.
Cool! Trying this.

toastR posted:

and one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps.
This too; Thanks!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Are there any iOS 5+ compatible fonts?

Existing font packs (loaded with BytaFont) are missing things like the Dictation key and Hide Keyboard key. In their place it shows a weird symbol that looks like a W over a tiny 3.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Quick note for anyone with white icons:

I got the white icons today, googled about it and saw a post that said "download and install anything from Cydia and it'll fix it". I opened Cydia and updated 3G Unrestrictor and when I respring the icons were fixed.

YMMV, obviously.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I've only encountered it once or twice while installing new stuff, but a respring always fixes it.

Also, SiriToggles seems to understand "Restart" but so far it just seems to crash into safe mode instead of actually rebooting or respringing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Two resprings and a full reboot didn't fix it for me. Updating an app in Cydia did.

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!

Over The Road posted:

What else would you lot recommend?.

On my iPad I'm getting a lot of use out of a couple tweaks besides the ones you mentioned:

Tab+: allows you to open an infinite amount of tabs in Safari (very useful for me, YMMV)

Action Menu Plus: adds different options to the copy/paste menu like clipboard history, tweet, word lookup in google/wikipedia, and my favorite: copy all

Infinifolders: removes folder app limit

iEagleEye: perform actions on images in Safari like Google Images reverse image lookup, TinEye, and best of all ImgOPS for quick rehosting.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
After starting the Jailbreak I sit there for about half an hour and nothing happens. Am I completely screwing something up? I'm doing this on windows.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

ddogflex posted:

Is there an app on Cydia that forces Airplay video? For like HBO Go where it only airplays audio and not video normally.

AllPlay might work for that.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

mewse posted:

i know its old hat for you iphone 4 guys but i'm so happy my 4S has a sexy lock screen now

typophone + some clouds background
Why do you have 2 clocks

mewse
May 2, 2006

TomSellek posted:

Why do you have 2 clocks

Typophone installed "clock hide" which added a clock to the status bar. Found an option to turn that off, good call

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

mewse posted:

Typophone installed "clock hide" which added a clock to the status bar. Found an option to turn that off, good call

I think his point was there's no need for that huge obnoxious themed clock. But I also like my huge obnoxious clock, so :colbert:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

burmart posted:

After starting the Jailbreak I sit there for about half an hour and nothing happens. Am I completely screwing something up? I'm doing this on windows.

Restore as a new device and then jailbreak and then sync all your poo poo over again. That's what I had to do. You'll have to re-sync everything but them's the breaks.

Not sure if restoring from a backup fixes it. I just did the above.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Enjoying all the nice new benefits of jailbreaking and haven't noticed any severe battery drain yet, but it's the first day so let's see how that goes.

I've just installed Winterboard with Typophone 4 as a lockscreen but is that going to be much of a battery drain? I'm not gonna be skinning anything else on the phone, just the lockscreen, but every little bit of battery helps so if it's likely to cut hours off my daily usage then I'll go back to unskinned.

Actually, for that matter, if I have Winterboard installed but no themes selected, I assume it won't drain my battery at all, or is still there chugging away in the background?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it's worth installing something from Cydia does NOT remove the white icon problem.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a tweak that makes your icon pages loop? So if I swipe to the right on the last page it will go back to the first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Bucket Joneses posted:

Is there a tweak that makes your icon pages loop? So if I swipe to the right on the last page it will go back to the first?

Maybe Wraparound? I've never tried it myself though, just saw something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plebC696Xo&feature=player_embedded

• Locked thread