Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, that's the passage I was referring to earlier in support of the bifurcation idea. There's various ways it can be read, of course, but I very much doubt there'll be another scratch - I believe that the point of bringing that up is to give a reason why the A1 players had to scratch and to hint that bifurcation is what's happening here.

As for the reference to Lord English - if it means anything for the B2 universe, it's probably that he'll show up in it eventually (or, rather, is already there). But then the mechanism is unclear. It doesn't seem like he could use the GCat like he used Doc Scratch... although he could perhaps travel laterally after he's done with A2.

(Note that Lord English eats the host universe, not the session it spawns. It's entirely possible that even if he appears in B2, he might be defeated or escaped from, or at any rate kept out of the new universe created in the session.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

I finally caught up with the thread today, and I notice that the "bifurcation of the meteors" theory was brought up again. Wasn't the big problem with the original troll session that they weren't created within their session?

In this page right here, it highlights that as a major glitch in the system. I'll quote the relevant bit:

So, either it can't be bifurcation, or the kids hosed over their own universe in more ways than one by introducing the glitch that Lord English apparently uses as his calling card and dooming the session, requiring another scratch.

Thoughts?

The thing about this, is that I think that if the Bifurcation theory is true and the Ancestor's issue and the post-scratch Kid's issues are similar, in reality it seems like they could still be two different things.

What does the lack of not being created in their session mean for the Post-Scratch kids mean? It means that they were created in the last session. On the surface this doesn't seem to be a problem. What does not being created in their session mean for the Ancestors? It means that they were never born, at least not yet, which strikes me as a pretty sizable issue on the surface.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chic Trombone posted:

I finally caught up with the thread today, and I notice that the "bifurcation of the meteors" theory was brought up again. Wasn't the big problem with the original troll session that they weren't created within their session?

In this page right here, it highlights that as a major glitch in the system. I'll quote the relevant bit:

So, either it can't be bifurcation,

Midnight Raider posted:

It means that they were never born, at least not yet, which strikes me as a pretty sizable issue on the surface.

The original troll session not having an ectobiology session is one of the bigger pieces of evidence behind the meteor mirroring.

Troll Session 1: Trollkids raise Trollcestor players. Delivered from a reality not yet conceived.
Troll Session 2: Trollcestors raise Trollkid players. Karkat makes everyone in the lab and sends them through the meteors, swapping places across universes.

Kid Session 1: Guardians raise Kid players. John makes everyone in the lab and sends them through the meteors.
Kid Session 2: Kids raise Guardian players. Delivered from a reality previously conceived, swapping places across universes, with all of the objects they brought with them perfectly duplicated.

quote:

or the kids hosed over their own universe in more ways than one by introducing the glitch that Lord English apparently uses as his calling card and dooming the session, requiring another scratch.

I would think it plenty obvious by now that English has had quite a lot going on in this scratched universe!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The kids couldn't scratch the new session even if they wanted to anyway. Neither Jane, Jake, Roxy, or Dirk are heroes of Time, and the Beat Mesa has left LOHAC.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

YF-23 posted:

The kids couldn't scratch the new session even if they wanted to anyway. Neither Jane, Jake, Roxy, or Dirk are heroes of Time, and the Beat Mesa has left LOHAC.

...Technically speaking, the best outcome for paradox space here is failure. The current session is isolated from every other universe in every way if it fails; Lord English is trapped.

Kind of a depressing revelation, that.

EDIT: Assuming English works like that. Which he very well could not.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 23, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

What does the lack of not being created in their session mean for the Post-Scratch kids mean? It means that they were created in the last session. On the surface this doesn't seem to be a problem. What does not being created in their session mean for the Ancestors? It means that they were never born, at least not yet, which strikes me as a pretty sizable issue on the surface.

If I am understanding the story right, it would mean the A1 players literally had no choice, as the session being scratched was required to keep a time loop stable, and any deviation would just result in Beta Timelines.

In a way, the B1 kids didn't really have a choice either. Things like Robo Liv Tyler show that the B2 session was already required to happen in order to keep other time loops stable. So far, most of this story has been Fate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The idea of the auto-responder ironically failing the Turing test is incredibly amusing to me.

These three characters are already some of my favorite in the whole comic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also I'm pretty sure it was already mentioned, but the responder's text being more or less Dave's color works perfectly when pretty much the same thing happened (in reverse) with Davesprite and Dave. The responder won't even have to change its text color, that's what it will be when it enters the kernelsprite!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lady of the Beech posted:

I cannot unsee tall Karkat now.

In my headcanon Karkat was always the smallest troll.

I think Karkat being short is canon, since nobody seems to remember this exchange between Karkat and Equius:

quote:

CCT: D --> I'd like to add to this useless memorandum
CCT: D --> That I still don't recognize the validity of your leadership
PCG: SWEET MOTHER GRUB'S OOZING VESTIGIAL THIRD ORAL SPHINCTER.
PCG: HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE BE SO STUPID.
CCT: D --> It may be true that we are all playing in the same session, but I see no reason to disband the former power structure
CCT: D --> Especially if it means instituting a tactical midget with a short fuse, a foul mouth, and paralyzing insecurity over the color of his b100d

Now we know the truth. All of the Trolls are midgets.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't know if you're being serious there but I don't think "tactical midget" is meant to be read in the same way as you'd read "tactical nuclear weapon". Seems to me it's supposed to mean something more like "person whose tactical understanding and skill is minuscule".

(In so far as Karkat is short, I suppose both readings apply, though.)

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is height ever mentioned as being something Troll society values? Because as a general rule, if it's considered an asset in Troll culture, Karkat doesn't have it. see: impressive horns

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fortis posted:

Is height ever mentioned as being something Troll society values? Because as a general rule, if it's considered an asset in Troll culture, Karkat doesn't have it. see: impressive horns

When you've got psychic powers, I dont think height matters as much.

I still picture Equius as being loving huge though, because hes STRONG.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Anyone else notice that Roxy types with her elbows?

I don't think she's actually ever "drunk" at all, she's just very consistently typing with her elbows.

Her hands are never on the keyboard.

(Also when she's typing on her phone she only uses 1 thumb. She's fat-thumbing too!)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 23, 2012

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I interpreted her typing as not giving a poo poo ever. Whether or not she's drunk.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

sitchelin posted:

I think Karkat being short is canon, since nobody seems to remember this exchange between Karkat and Equius:

Now we know the truth. All of the Trolls are midgets.

There is no canon as to the height of the trolls. They are as tall or as short as the reader wants them to be.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lady of the Beech posted:

There is no canon as to the height of the trolls. They are as tall or as short as the reader wants them to be.

Gamzee's too short to ride a unicycle though. and Jade's got stubby arms and can't reach the low notes on a bass.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that's mostly a silly reference to the artstyle being used at the time.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Mazerunner posted:

Gamzee's too short to ride a unicycle though. and Jade's got stubby arms and can't reach the low notes on a bass.

And the Handmaid can't reach the back of her own head except when she's rendered in a less symbolic manner. It is a joke!

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Prison Warden posted:

In a way, the B1 kids didn't really have a choice either. Things like Robo Liv Tyler show that the B2 session was already required to happen in order to keep other time loops stable. So far, most of this story has been Fate.

A theory in this thread earlier was that English's "calling card" wasn't so much that the session didn't spawn its players (which was explicitly mentioned but, come on, this is Doc Scratch talking) as it is that the universe/session had interference with its own scratched version. That is, A1 contained the results of A2's ectobiology, and B1 had B2's Liv Taylor robobunny.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Fortis posted:

Is height ever mentioned as being something Troll society values?
only in my invaderzim/homestuck slashfic

karkat and zim are such a randoXkawaii couple XD

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 24, 2012

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Oh, the arguments they would have.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
That sure is a lot of words about people being gay, Hussie.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Man, autoresponder is pretty cool for a robot. Especially since robots dont have feelings.

Now to wait for whoever it was who called it that ALL the peeps were into Jake. Any second now...

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I'm just waiting for this to somehow be part of the puppet master's plan. The gay ruse was a DISTACTION.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I think this is a funny case of fandom predicting canon incredibly fast and accurately. They weren't even trying to think of why Jake/Dirk would be canon (they didn't even know Dirk's name) but they drew fanart of it and now it will be canon.

Unless we get a callback to the I Am Not A Homosexual conversation.

These are some good updates. I think it would be really funny if none of the ectobiological pairings that formed the kids actually ended up becoming real romantic pairings with the B2 teens.

It's also really easy to forget that AR is literally a pair of sunglasses that Dirk wears on his face. I keep reading his text and thinking of him as a robot or something like Aradiabot.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Another thing to glean from this update is that Roxy's browser is Nix, which means her Denizen is probably the same.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It sure does put Dirk-Bot's Easy Mode into perspective.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I know this is a comic and that ectobiology is wacky or whatever, but this weird is-it-incest-is-it-not thing is kinda creeping me out here.

VVVV Well looks like I'll be searching through the backlog of this thread to figure out all this ectobiology poo poo because I am honestly seriously confused.

Business as usual with Homestuck I guess.

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 24, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh hey, we're already pretty close to what is probably the death of Frigglish who is probably Jaspers. I mean there's a couple more pages of pesterlog between Roxy and Jane first but we already read all of those so they'll probably go faster since Hussie doesn't have to write them again.

Unless, of course, this is where we switch to Dirk.

Boneless Jogger posted:

Another thing to glean from this update is that Roxy's browser is Nix, which means her Denizen is probably the same.

As befits a hero of Void. :v:

Waverhouse posted:

I know this is a comic and that ectobiology is wacky or whatever, but this weird is-it-incest-is-it-not thing is kinda creeping me out here.

It needn't because nothing is actually happening and also the answer would be "it is not" if it were.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

None of these kids are related. Theyre only clones of themselves.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think the auto responder maybe lying to Rose (just like he was messing with Jake) to start something, which is why the auto responder is hiding the chats with Rose from Dirk. In past pesterlogs Dirk seems to just think of Jake as his dumb friend, and Jake just thinks Dirk is a bit annoying.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh dear this cannot end well. No wellness in any of the endings :ohdear:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jvempire posted:

I think the auto responder maybe lying to Rose (just like he was messing with Jake) to start something, which is why the auto responder is hiding the chats with Rose from Dirk. In past pesterlogs Dirk seems to just think of Jake as his dumb friend, and Jake just thinks Dirk is a bit annoying.

I think the amount of mental gymnastics people are going through to avoid having to admit that Dirk is gay is pretty astonishing.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I think the amount of mental gymnastics people are going through to avoid having to admit that Dirk is gay is pretty astonishing.
Now that's the tricky question, but I was mainly on the subject of Jake and Dirks relationship. They seem to have just a regular friendship, never saw any of something more from the past pesterlogs. All we got is AR's word, which he could possibly be an unreliable narrator judging from him playing games with Jake. But it could go the other way too!

I'm interested in what Dirk actually talks to AR about in private though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Cabbit posted:

Gay guys can have male friends who are just friends.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Gay guys can have male friends who are just friends.

And yet somehow I think that if Jake was female people wouldn't be coming up with so many explanations for how Dirk wasn't *really* into him. V :) V

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In a stunning twist, Jake will declare himself asexual and turn down all propositions except those involving ectobiological reproduction.

Also it's a little too early to write the shipping diagrams until we get firm proof about whether the bifurcation theory is accurate (so none of these kids are related) or whether there was ectobiology done in this session and it was the reverse of last session.

Also there's a lot more relationship shtick with these new kids over the original four kids. Maybe less than the trolls, but certainly quite a bit. I think it might be a result of them being older, especially following what the auto-responder just said about not having any strong 'feelings' about anyone and being the 13-year-old Dirk.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 24, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

In a stunning twist, Jake will declare himself asexual and turn down all propositions except those involving ectobiological reproduction.

Also it's a little too early to write the shipping diagrams until we get firm proof about whether the bifurcation theory is accurate (so none of these kids are related) or whether there was ectobiology done in this session and it was the reverse of last session.

Also there's a lot more relationship shtick with these new kids over the original four kids. Maybe less than the trolls, but certainly quite a bit. I think it might be a result of them being older, especially following what the auto-responder just said about not having any strong 'feelings' about anyone and being the 13-year-old Dirk.

The bifurcation theory is all but explicit and always has been. It's just common sense really!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Even IF the bifurcation thing turns out not to be a Thing (which I think is extraordinarily unlikely) that doesn't mean these kids are related either. There's no reason any ectobiology done in this iteration of the universe wouldn't proceed the same way, with the kids creating their ectobiological children and sending them back in time as guardians, In fact I think this is far more likely than the ectobiology being "reversed" because the likelihood of that even working on a genetic level would be pretty slim I should think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also going to call Jake being asexual, as that means tumblr will collapse upon itself with its huge collection of special snowflakes