Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

You don't see how people would prefer to have Vice City/Liberty City Stories on a system with good controls and the ability to not have it be a fogged-out mess?

PS2 had one of the best controllers ever made for sheer versatility. How can you say it had bad controls?

I would love to see a re-release of GTA3-SA including liberty/vice city stories on PC with some minor changes like official out of the box 360 controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

How would PS3 controls be any different than PS2 controls? Its exactly the same controller other than the Home button and motion gimmick.

MrJacobs posted:

PS2 had one of the best controllers ever made for sheer versatility. How can you say it had bad controls?

I would love to see a re-release of GTA3-SA including liberty/vice city stories on PC with some minor changes like official out of the box 360 controller support.

You people do understand that the games are original to the PSP, and the PS2 version has poo poo graphics right? The PSP version has good graphics, the PS2 version has good controls. Putting it on the 360 and PS3 would mean you have good controls AND good graphics for the games for the first time.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Online activism!

http://www.petitiononline.com/gtalcsfc/petition.html

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

You people do understand that the games are original to the PSP, and the PS2 version has poo poo graphics right? The PSP version has good graphics, the PS2 version has good controls. Putting it on the 360 and PS3 would mean you have good controls AND good graphics for the games for the first time.

"I'd buy them all again, if they re-released all the GTA3 era games for Xbox360/PS3. Especially Vice City. It's just so good!"

Doesn't sound like that to me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

"I'd buy them all again, if they re-released all the GTA3 era games for Xbox360/PS3. Especially Vice City. It's just so good!"

Doesn't sound like that to me.

The Stories games are III-era. Also not everyone likes them on the PC.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

The Stories games are III-era. Also not everyone likes them on the PC.

As are III, VC and SA. Since he mentioned VC by name I thought it a bit ridiculous to be asking for a rerelease already. Although, to be fair, I don't think you could find them in normal stores anymore, which would be a decent reason to.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

The problem with Vice City Stories was that everything was so goddamn bright. It just looked silly.

I didn't find it too much brighter than Vice City. Even then, you could turn the Trails option off if it became distracting since it is on by default and all it does is increase the saturation of the colors and add a motion blur effect.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Calling it now that GTAV will feature full frontal female nudity. After The Lost and the Damned and Rockstar's LA Noire, the probability of stuff like nippletape seems low.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Calling it now that GTAV will feature full frontal female nudity. After The Lost and the Damned and Rockstar's LA Noire, the probability of stuff like nippletape seems low.

Red Dead Redemption already had this and a sex scene. Full frontal nudity's been done.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crappy Jack posted:

Red Dead Redemption already had this and a sex scene. Full frontal nudity's been done.

Yeah, like in LA Noire, which I mentioned. My point is there's never even been boob in GTA.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

Red Dead Redemption already had this and a sex scene.

When does this happen ? I don't remember it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GreatKesh posted:

When does this happen ? I don't remember it

Somewhere during the Mexican line of missions. There's a cutscene where you walk in on Reyes having sex with a maid.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't feel that I'm some crazy misogynist who demands women be nude in all games, but even when the strippers were low-poly visually disgusting messes in the previous generation games, it just irked me that they were all strategically covered up. If you're going to put a strip club with strippers in your game, do it proper. MY IMMERSION!

Edit: vv I just had to look up what a zoop cursor is. I'd much rather be driving cars into people :P

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 12, 2012

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I don't really care for nudity in video games, but then I don't really care for violence in video games either. I don't care at all for immersion, so I'd just as soon be running a zoop cursor into tetris blocks as a car into people. That being said, I think it's really important that society move beyond its reflexive censorship of popular media, especially the perverse way in which sexuality is deemed as less healthy than is violence, and as long as the movie and television industries are beholden to massive media/distribution conglomerates which seek political approval of "family" organizations, it's gotta be video games that get us there.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
I'd like to be able to buy safe houses again. I like that you get some in missions but I love to blow money of awesome places.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, the longer into the storyline they can make currency matter, the better in my book. I don't mind doing side missions early to grind up dough.

\/ \/ pros rush in and out of that room for 2:30, nowhere near the time sink of Cherry Popper or finding that car that eludes you for Sunshine.

bort fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2012

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

davebo posted:

I don't feel that I'm some crazy misogynist who demands women be nude in all games, but even when the strippers were low-poly visually disgusting messes in the previous generation games, it just irked me that they were all strategically covered up. If you're going to put a strip club with strippers in your game, do it proper. MY IMMERSION!

I think what bothered me most about the strippers in previous GTAs was when Vice City forced you to watch one for 10 minutes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I'd been struggling on and off for what must be years now to play GTA IV on my 2.66 GHz C2D computer. It always sputtered, and probably ranged between 4-20 fps, even with utterly minimal detail settings and resolution.

I've just started doing missions for Florian/Bernie if that means anything; I think I'm getting pretty close to the end.

My friend just gave me his quad-core 3.0 GHz C2D after upgrading to a whole new i7 computer.

Holy loving poo poo what a difference. The game is suddenly buttery smooth at 1920x1200 with the details up as much as my videocard memory will allow :swoon:

It may have wrecked much of the GTA IV experience for me, but at least I have the DLC to look forward to.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've reinstalled GTA IV to experience it with my now beefier PC, along with the higher resolution texture mods and iCEnhancer. Problem is, while iCEnhancer looks mega-pretty, the lighting is too drastic. Night (and interiors) are too dark, and the daytime is too bright. In trying to find some answers about this, all I can find is:

These mods will give different results for different PCs

So, you can change the settings yourself

...okay, that's loving fantastic. But I cannot find ANYWHERE that explains how I can change the lighting contrast. Everywhere I look, people ask about this issue, and the answer they get is "you can change it, good luck with that".

Can anybody help me with this, or at least point me to where I can find some answers?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've got San Andreas playable on PC with an Xbox360 controller now using Joy2key. I think I'm going to play through it a second time to see what it's like after GTA IV and the Saints Row games.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I want more news on GTAV so bad I would be willing to literally anything for it. Any Rockstar employees reading this, I want you to know that I mean it. Anything.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No new GTAV news but the ESRB just re-rated GTAIII and Vice City for PS3 which probably means they'll be released as PS2 Classics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pablo Gigante posted:

No new GTAV news but the ESRB just re-rated GTAIII and Vice City for PS3 which probably means they'll be released as PS2 Classics.

gently caress yes :rock: Day one purchase for me.

There's no chance they'd get HD remakes instead of just getting re-released as PS2 classics, huh? That would be incredible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

gently caress yes :rock: Day one purchase for me.

There's no chance they'd get HD remakes instead of just getting re-released as PS2 classics, huh? That would be incredible.
It's possible! Nobody really knows right now. That would be awesome if they did a GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas HD pack. Hell, toss in the Stories games too! Can't be that much extra work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If the original assets weren't made at a high res I know I wouldn't want to spend time retexturing everything.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Those PS2 Classics don't have trophies, do they?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I would pay money for the Stories games to be re-released. It would mean I wouldn't need to get a new PSP to play them right now.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's possible! Nobody really knows right now. That would be awesome if they did a GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas HD pack. Hell, toss in the Stories games too! Can't be that much extra work.

My god, if they do a PC Re-release of those in HD I will buy it day one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I believe the Android version of GTA III has higher resolution textures than the original releases iirc. They'd be more likely to update them if they can release multiple ports I think, i.e., get more mileage out of the effort involved.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pablo Gigante posted:

Best case scenario, for sure. That would be so awesome and would keep me occupied for quite some time.

But

The Dave posted:

If the original assets weren't made at a high res I know I wouldn't want to spend time retexturing everything.

this makes sense so I don't know how likely it is :smith:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Those PS2 Classics don't have trophies, do they?

Nope. The PS2 classics are pretty much just the actual game, no bells or whistles aside from a PS button menu that lets you stretch out the picture and stuff.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't believe in a god, but if there is one, I hope he or she or it makes the new GTAIII and Vice City's for ps3/360 have an immense graphical and control upgrade. Just porting up won't be justice and those games deserve better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'll buy them if they make it so the right control stick can control the camera like in San Andreas and all games after it. If they don't do that, no sale.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope they just give it pc free-aim. Make it like Saints Row.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The textures originally were higher resolution. There were a bunch of pictures going around when the phone GTAIII was first announced comparing original GTA3 textures to the new ones.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There's a nice writeup on Eurogamer, where they compare the original Xbox, PS2 and PC versions with the new iPad version.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-retro-face-off-grand-theft-auto-3

Who knows, they just might use the better assets for a re-release:unsmith:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

I've got San Andreas playable on PC with an Xbox360 controller now using Joy2key. I think I'm going to play through it a second time to see what it's like after GTA IV and the Saints Row games.

gently caress, can't use both triggers at once.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Dave posted:

That hasn't stopped any other developers from releasing HD ports with the original textures!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

That hasn't stopped any other developers from releasing HD ports with the original textures!

Ah well my mistake then. The only classic games ive ever bought were Xbox live remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Iacen posted:

There's a nice writeup on Eurogamer, where they compare the original Xbox, PS2 and PC versions with the new iPad version.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-retro-face-off-grand-theft-auto-3

Who knows, they just might use the better assets for a re-release:unsmith:

Sweet, that article drew my attention to the GTA III PC-XBOX mod which I must have missed earlier in this thread:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=399016&st=0

Just started playing it again a couple weeks ago while I tired of GTA IV chugging on my computer.

• Locked thread