Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuked posted:

I've decided on what turntable to purchase (Audio Technica LP60). And now I'm looking for a decent pair of speakers around $100 that have a decent amount of bass, I listen to a lot of hip-hop and bass is a must for me. I'm looking for good sound quality, but I have my ATH-M50s for backup when I'm looking to do so.
If you're serious about vinyl, don't buy the LP60. Splurge the extra hundred for the LP120. It's upgradable, better sound quality, has adjustable anti-skate/tracking pressure, and is just better overall. If the LP60 comes to you with tracking pressure or anti-skate set improperly, you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
And for $100, you won't get anything with a lot of bass or anything good, for that matter. Your options are limited to 2.1 systems, probably by Logitech.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nuked posted:

I've decided on what turntable to purchase (Audio Technica LP60). And now I'm looking for a decent pair of speakers around $100 that have a decent amount of bass, I listen to a lot of hip-hop and bass is a must for me. I'm looking for good sound quality, but I have my ATH-M50s for backup when I'm looking to do so.

Look on Craigslist or maybe Goodwills and thrift shops. You just might get lucky, there was a listing near here for a set of Advent Heritage speakers in excellent shape for $100. Sometimes someone will post Pioneer HPM or CX series, Sansuis or old Marantz for a good price. I'm listening to an awesome set of KLH 17's that I picked up like that.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
I know this is the vintage thread, but if you can find some Pioneer SP-BS41-LR for $100 (theyre kind of hard to find right now), they are amazing speakers for the money (and they have pretty good bass).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Picked up a technics sld202 for 5$ randomly helping a friend buy a table on craigslist, replacing my ancient piece of poo poo toshiba. Great shape altho cosmetically a bit ugly, spent 20 minutes tearing it apart and cleaning it, looks new!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Ok so I'm trying to put together a system and I really don't know anything about anything... Trying to keep the budget under £500 and I'm thinking about doing it like this:

Amp: Marantz PM6002 off of Gumtree for £90 -- good for an entry level receiver?
Deck: Rega Planar 3 (fully serviced with some AT cartridge) for £199 or a Rega RP1 for £225 -- which is the better bet?
Speakers: Some floorstanding model. Tannoy Mercury at £100 or Kef iQ5 for £200 look like candidates, what else should I be looking at?
Interconnects: worth getting anything special in this price range?

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 149 days!
Forewarning:

I am a complete noob when it comes to audio systems.

Basically a friend recently found a lot (500+) of old vinyls and I want to buy him a turntable so he can listen to them. He has a decent home system that plays cds/aux/ipod etc. and I was wondering if I can just buy him a vintage turntable and connect it to his existing system or if it needs its own speakers/receiver.

Sorry if the question comes across as dumb.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
A vintage turntable will require a phono pre-amp which boosts the turntable's signal, while also applying equalization to the signal. From there, it can be connected to the aux input on whatever system he's currently using. If his system has a pre-amp built in (very unlikely), you can plug the turntable directly into it. You can confirm this by checking if there's an input labeled "phono" on the back.

Phono pre-amps range from cheap to ridiculous in price, but anything in the $20-30 range would probably be all your friend needs to get started. If he wants to upgrade later that's always an option.

Newer turntables have pre-amps built in to avoid having to buy extra components, but those turntables are usually pretty junky.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

primitive posted:

Ok so I'm trying to put together a system and I really don't know anything about anything... Trying to keep the budget under £500 and I'm thinking about doing it like this:

Deck: Rega Planar 3 (fully serviced with some AT cartridge) for £199 or a Rega RP1 for £225 -- which is the better bet?
Speakers: Some floorstanding model. Tannoy Mercury at £100 or Kef iQ5 for £200 look like candidates, what else should I be looking at?

Is the Planar 3 used for that price? I would definitely go with that over the RP1 even if it's used.

Everything else will probably be more than adequate for that budget :) As for interconnects, I personally don't think the fancy stuff is worth it at all. I just got some cheap "premium" stuff from monoprice and have had no problems. Not sure what the UK equivalent to monoprice is :P

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 149 days!

Dumbledore 64 posted:

A vintage turntable will require a phono pre-amp which boosts the turntable's signal, while also applying equalization to the signal. From there, it can be connected to the aux input on whatever system he's currently using. If his system has a pre-amp built in (very unlikely), you can plug the turntable directly into it. You can confirm this by checking if there's an input labeled "phono" on the back.

Phono pre-amps range from cheap to ridiculous in price, but anything in the $20-30 range would probably be all your friend needs to get started. If he wants to upgrade later that's always an option.

Newer turntables have pre-amps built in to avoid having to buy extra components, but those turntables are usually pretty junky.

Thanks a lot!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

primitive posted:

They're all good quality components, and should make some very nice sounds. I've owned Marantz amps, Tannoy speakers and Rega turntables, and can vouch for their performance. Tannoy speakers in particular are said to have good synergy with Marantz amps.

Personally, I would take the Planar 3 over the RP1, assuming it's in excellent condition and has a new stylus, but don't forget the RP1 will be new and warrantied (having said that, there's not much which can go wrong with Rega decks as they're pretty simple mechanically). Also, the AT cartridge could be anything from a bottom feeding (but still okay) AT91 all the way up to the OC9 moving coil.

You won't need interconnects (unless you want to hook up your PC/CD player/iPod as well) as the turntable arm will have them attached. As for speaker cable, just get some decent gauge (thick) wire to avoid strangling the signal. I use Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade stuff which is good quality and inexpensive.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Gram-O-Phone posted:

You won't need interconnects (unless you want to hook up your PC/CD player/iPod as well) as the turntable arm will have them attached. As for speaker cable, just get some decent gauge (thick) wire to avoid strangling the signal. I use Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade stuff which is good quality and inexpensive.

He'll surely need RCA interconnects between turntable and pre-amp, and pre-amp and receiver?

That said, all RCA cables are basically equal. Don't pay more than you would for a big mac. =)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

He'll surely need RCA interconnects between turntable and pre-amp, and pre-amp and receiver?

That said, all RCA cables are basically equal. Don't pay more than you would for a big mac. =)

I'm pretty sure the Marantz has a phono pre-amp built in, and the Rega arm has the arm lead moulded in to the bottom of the arm housing. But I agree, £15 or £20 is the really the most you should spend on interconnects (even if only for the build quality and the reduced likelihood of breaks in the connection between plug and cable causing channels to drop intermittently. This seems to happen all the bloody time on cheap interconnects).

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I'm pretty sure the Marantz has a phono pre-amp built in, and the Rega arm has the arm lead moulded in to the bottom of the arm housing. But I agree, £15 or £20 is the really the most you should spend on interconnects (even if only for the build quality and the reduced likelihood of breaks in the connection between plug and cable causing channels to drop intermittently. This seems to happen all the bloody time on cheap interconnects).

It does have a phono input, which is nice. I picked up 5m Van Damme Blue, and I'll get some RCA cables when I buy the turntable.

Next question: do speakers get "tired"? I'm looking at some Acoustic Edge Aegis 2 I think and though the reviews are good, the units have got to be pushing 10 years old.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

primitive posted:

It does have a phono input, which is nice. I picked up 5m Van Damme Blue, and I'll get some RCA cables when I buy the turntable.

Next question: do speakers get "tired"? I'm looking at some Acoustic Edge Aegis 2 I think and though the reviews are good, the units have got to be pushing 10 years old.

The Acoustic Energies will be fine, assuming they've been looked after - 10 years is really nothing for loudspeakers. They will probably still be working and sounding fantastic quarter of a century from now.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'm running a set of KLH 17's that are probably 40 years old.
The biggest problems with old speakers are the foam surrounds tend to deteriorate and need replaced or in the KLH's case the cloth surrounds need resealed and then the crossover caps, hell, any electrolytic caps can go after 20-30 years and should be suspect.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Retarded Pimp posted:

I'm running a set of KLH 17's that are probably 40 years old.
The biggest problems with old speakers are the foam surrounds tend to deteriorate and need replaced or in the KLH's case the cloth surrounds need resealed and then the crossover caps, hell, any electrolytic caps can go after 20-30 years and should be suspect.

I just picked up some KLH 17s my dad got for $10, they sound really really muffled compared to the Polk bookshelf speakers I have from the 80s.

Are they worth gettin' looked at at an electronics shop?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

alg posted:

I just picked up some KLH 17s my dad got for $10, they sound really really muffled compared to the Polk bookshelf speakers I have from the 80s.

Are they worth gettin' looked at at an electronics shop?

That depends on the labor rates and if the tweeters are ok. Or you could refurbish them yourself, they're pretty simple devices. You can even be ham-fisted with a soldering iron and still do a decent job.
Here's a thread about it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102176

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Retarded Pimp posted:

That depends on the labor rates and if the tweeters are ok. Or you could refurbish them yourself, they're pretty simple devices. You can even be ham-fisted with a soldering iron and still do a decent job.
Here's a thread about it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102176

Hmm. Yeah I think I can do that. I just have no way of knowing if these tweeters are good or not.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The Acoustic Energies will be fine, assuming they've been looked after - 10 years is really nothing for loudspeakers. They will probably still be working and sounding fantastic quarter of a century from now.

The "mint condition" speakers ended up having damage to a speaker cone, ugh. The hunt continues...

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

alg posted:

Hmm. Yeah I think I can do that. I just have no way of knowing if these tweeters are good or not.

Take them out and play something softly through them, an mp3 player should put out enough to tell if it's sounding ok.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

primitive posted:

The "mint condition" speakers ended up having damage to a speaker cone, ugh. The hunt continues...

If you can buy them for next to nothing, you can get replacement drivers here:

http://www.technosound.co.uk/eShop/ssAE.html#AEGISCOMPACTLF

Should be easy enough to fit, although you'd have to get them (the speakers) really cheap for a repair to be economical.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 26, 2012

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just wanted to say that after getting my counter-weight set properly my turntable sounds awesome, thanks for the help guys!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Hey everybody, I picked up that SL-1300 today. It looks great and is running really smooth. Now waiting on amazon to ship a new stylus.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Ok so I caved big time, got tired of faffing about looking for a deal on a turntable and snapped up a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 of 2009 vintage off eBay for the princely sum of £200.

It's coming without headshell or cartridge, so I made a little more money go away through the purchase of a Sumiko HS-12, which seemed reasonably priced compared to a new stock headshell and seems to be the go-to unit.

Now I need a cartridge. I need something that will track rock / metal without tearing my stuff up. What's the recommendation for this kind of listening?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I have a Shure M97xe on my 1200 very happy with it for the price. It tracks solidly at 1.25 grams

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Bandit posted:

I have a Shure M97xe on my 1200 very happy with it for the price. It tracks solidly at 1.25 grams

I have one of those coming in from Amazon right now. I can't wait.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

primitive posted:

Ok so I caved big time, got tired of faffing about looking for a deal on a turntable and snapped up a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 of 2009 vintage off eBay for the princely sum of £200.

It's coming without headshell or cartridge, so I made a little more money go away through the purchase of a Sumiko HS-12, which seemed reasonably priced compared to a new stock headshell and seems to be the go-to unit.

Now I need a cartridge. I need something that will track rock / metal without tearing my stuff up. What's the recommendation for this kind of listening?

Ok so I'm an idiot and let myself get ripped off kind of -- ended up paying £100 for some Mordaunt Short MS25i of 1998 vintage rather than £75 for the Tannoy Mercurys that I was originally shooting for, but they came with the original retail box and packaging and look brand new so whatever. Worst case scenario when I decide to spend moneys on some nice 3-ways they'll get demoted to Playstation 3 usage.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

These speakers are set up for bi-wiring. It sounds like a bunch of snake oil bullshit to me, but my amp is capable of it, so what's the worst that can happen? Except for spending another £20 on speaker cable and banana clips? Thoughts?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Fixed my Carver C1 Preamp, it started making a strange noise like a thump and hiss/humm when I enabled the tone controls. Did the contact cleaner treatment on the switches and it reduced what little static there was in them and it sounded great for an hour or so until I turned it down then it made that noise again all the time.

So I spent about 4 hours yesterday taking it apart, resoldering the components and took the pots apart and sprayed contact cleaner over their internals and worked them until the cleaner dripped clean. It looks like a couple of rotating ground tabs on the inside wore a deeper groove into the casing and metal flakes probably got into places it shouldn't have.
A couple of the tone pots and the balance still feel rough while turning, so I'm going to see about getting some Deoxit lube and try that. If that doesn't smooth them out, we'll see about getting some new Alps pots.

Who knows, maybe it was the pots, or maybe there was an iffy solder connection.

Anyway, I put about 4 hours on it playing music and Portal 2 and drat if that system doesn't sound good.
Carver C-1 Pre> Carver M1.0 Amp> Polk SDA-2a

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

primitive posted:

Ok so I'm an idiot and let myself get ripped off kind of -- ended up paying £100 for some Mordaunt Short MS25i of 1998 vintage rather than £75 for the Tannoy Mercurys that I was originally shooting for, but they came with the original retail box and packaging and look brand new so whatever. Worst case scenario when I decide to spend moneys on some nice 3-ways they'll get demoted to Playstation 3 usage.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

These speakers are set up for bi-wiring. It sounds like a bunch of snake oil bullshit to me, but my amp is capable of it, so what's the worst that can happen? Except for spending another £20 on speaker cable and banana clips? Thoughts?

The MS25i's are good speakers, so I don't think you got ripped off. I had their little brothers, the MS20i's and liked their clarity and tight bass (almost like a sealed box). Are they the Pearl editions, or the regular ones? The Pearls were a later refinement, and sounded a bit better.

With regards to bi-wiring, the worst that can (and probably will) happen is you won't notice any difference. By all means give it a try, but I personally don't think it's worth it. Bi-amping, on the other hand, is a whole different kettle of fish.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

The Bandit posted:

Do you use your's with the little brushy thing down? I could never get it to track properly with mine down. I ended up replacing my M97xe with an Ortofon 2m red - for some reason I just like the mids a bit better on the Ortofon. When that needle kicks the bucket I might try something else though.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Tiny Faye posted:

Do you use your's with the little brushy thing down? I could never get it to track properly with mine down. I ended up replacing my M97xe with an Ortofon 2m red - for some reason I just like the mids a bit better on the Ortofon. When that needle kicks the bucket I might try something else though.

Don't forget to add a quarter to half a gram when you put the brush down.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Tiny Faye posted:

No, I've never used it with the brush down. One of these days I'm going to get a new stylus for my old Shure V15, but they're kind of expensive.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

primitive posted:

Was it cone damage or a crushed dust cap? Dust caps are easy to fix.

Surround damage is also a fairly easy fix.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 2, 2012

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

stizu posted:

Was it cone damage or a crushed dust cap? Dust caps are easy to fix.

Surround damage is also a fairly easy fix.

Damage to the actual cone, it looked like it had been bent / flexed.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did you play them? I have a set of Signet bookshelf speakers with a crease in the driver cone and it plays just as good as the other.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Retarded Pimp posted:

Did you play them? I have a set of Signet bookshelf speakers with a crease in the driver cone and it plays just as good as the other.

They sounded fine, but I didn't know any better so I took a pass.

I'm going to try these MS25i out, and if they are bad ill demote them to entertainment use and get so e proper 3-ways.

Question time: for hard rock / heavy metal should I go for 2-ways that go deep or 3-ways?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, then.

I got my transistors for my Pioneer SX-1700, replaced them, still blew a fuse.

I pulled the board out and have two charred spots around the terminals for two 2W resistors that are part of the negative voltage PSU rail. One of them got hot enough that it desoldered itself.

I am worried that the blown components we're looking at are those diodes and that they're super-rare diodes, but if they're standard voltage Zeners I should be okay.

This is all I'm throwing into it, though - I will readily admit that I'm trying to fix this $40-on-eBay receiver because it was my dad's. After this, it's just going to have to go, as any more money I would spend on it I'm just going to spend on a working receiver.

Edit: Think I found it.

The resistors themselves or the diodes aren't the problem, I don't think. C706 reads 1.2 uF and dropping as the meter sits on it, and has an ever-decreasing DC resistance, not fully shorted though. After closer inspection, R705 is the only charred resistor, and C706 the only damaged cap. Going to replace both and see if it works.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 3, 2012

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Anyone know of forums or sites that are good for finding semi-local people to buy and sell vintage electronics and stereo stuff? I am looking to sell my Cerwin-Vega 380SE and craigslist doesn't really have the type of people who are looking to shell out a bunch of money on speakers.

I'm in Boston if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sledgehammer
Jan 26, 2003

I have a question about resistance. I have a pair of Pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelf speakers with nominal impedance of 6 ohms and maximum input power of 130W. I was thinking about driving these with an Outlaw RR2150 receiver which delivers 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Would this combo be at risk of over-driving the speakers or blowing them out or would it be budget audio nirvana?