Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Corrour in Scotland, the highest station on the British railway network, yesterday.

Poor little 156

e: more seasonally correct smilie

A 156 with an electronic display?? :aaa:

Also I love its cute little high-vis connector sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Corrour in Scotland, the highest station on the British railway network, yesterday.

It's probably also the most internationally well known Scottish station, after Trainspotting (what a coincidence!) filmed there...

For the record, it's in the middle of nowhere, with no roads to it... http://binged.it/uXtOJv

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
... So why is it there? why is there a demand for service in the middle of nowhere?

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Nerobro posted:

... So why is it there? why is there a demand for service in the middle of nowhere?

So some toffs could go shooting easier! When the railway company wanted to build a line to Mallaig, the landowner gave them permission to cross his land, on the condition that they built a station to service his shooting lodge, up at the other end of Loch Ossian.

These days hillwalkers use it for easier access...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh Scotland. Given the area, I assume the lodge was for hunting youths or something because I don't see much else out there.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
It's amazing to me how much "unoccupied" land there is in a country that's been around 10? 15? 20 times as long as mine.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That is some drat beautiful countryside.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Woohoo, I've convinced the wife to rent a narrow gauge caboose for her birthday! Just the two of us, in the wilderness, with a bunch of narrow gauge Alcos and Shovelnose GEs going by.

Oh, and we'll be taking the steam train up the pass, too. Too bad it isn't scheduled to run past while we have the caboose :(

With any luck this will help convince her to go watch them run the rotary in 2013.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That is some drat beautiful countryside.

Another you will recognise:

The Glenfinnan Viaduct - from the Harry Potter films

And some of the best scenery in the world for steam... A Black 5 loco rounding Ben Dorain on the West Highland line

And the bligatory "Can't post without mentioning Land Rovers at some point" pic - at Spean Bridge station

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Has anyone travelled towards Carlisle on the West Coast Main Line? I like the two hills that look like boobies. My friends and I refer to it as "Motorboat Fell"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
BTP's christmas jollies video is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ijGfDMiIs

ho ho ho :ohdearsass:

E: also Merry Christmas from all at South West Trains

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 25, 2011

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Someone just referred me to this thread so I gave it a read through. I've been with the 'orange' company for a while now. As Commies (Telecom Techs) we work regular 8 hour days with rotating call days on weekends.

We don't generally get called out unless something really breaks, or some engineer opens a trouble ticket on every dispatcher radio between Cheyenne WY and Laurel MT. (What's in common here, your loco radio or the 20 radios on 3 telecom territories you passed through?)

Regardless of how I feel about the coal industry, some of the trains they throw together out here are pretty amazing:
(Censored to prevent too much sperging)

I've seen these as low as 0.3HPT a couple times.

spipedong fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 20, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

reddeathdrinker posted:

And some of the best scenery in the world for steam... A Black 5 loco rounding Ben Dorain on the West Highland line

I love Black 5s. Perfect mix of function and form. They're just really gorgeous locos.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

spipedong posted:

Someone just referred me to this thread so I gave it a read through. I've been with the 'orange' company for a while now. As Commies (Telecom Techs) we work regular 8 hour days with rotating call days on weekends.

We don't generally get called out unless something really breaks, or some engineer opens a trouble ticket on every dispatcher radio between Cheyenne WY and Laurel MT. (What's in common here, your loco radio or the 20 radios on 3 telecom territories you passed through?)

Regardless of how I feel about the coal industry, some of the trains they throw together out here are pretty amazing:
(Censored to prevent too much sperging)

I've seen these as low as 0.3HPT a couple times.
I ran a 15,500 ton at 0.83 over Sherman yesterday. 2 hours at 13.8 mph with 3 AC's and 105klbs is no fun. All we needed was a drop of water and we would have been all done.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

B4Ctom1 posted:

I ran a 15,500 ton at 0.83 over Sherman yesterday. 2 hours at 13.8 mph with 3 AC's and 105klbs is no fun. All we needed was a drop of water and we would have been all done.

I'd imagine there's not much traction with steel on steel, except for the immense weight. Snow probably gets ejected at the contact patch too, but I really don't know much about that side of things except how to get a track warrant, and how to get on and off equipment. I can tell you all about AEI though.

Also, here's a picture my boss sent the other day - somewhere in Nebraska in August.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
That is some scary poo poo right there.

We have an AEI in one spot here, on some tracks that are really close together, where the antennas on the inboard (between the tracks) side are half buried in the ballast pointing up from the ballast at an angle.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Felt the need to drop this in here...

http://books.google.com/books?id=hycDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA73#v=onepage&q&f=true

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I can't help but wonder if Santa Fe told them to call it all one locomotive instead of four for union reasons. I love how they point out it has a windshield wiper!

The next article could have been written by Glen Beck.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

B4Ctom1 posted:

On the coal line this summer we had tons and tons of 135 car 3 packs (19000ish tons). Think that equals out to something like .5ish? hp per ton in notch seven. Nothing like climbing all the hills at 7 to 8mph.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Welp, made it through the annual MWOR re-qualification today. Always great to hear about the astounding ways in which we kill people.

And since people are always sending me awesome gently caress ups, here's another one.

When reading bridge clearances.... THINK METRIC! :canada:

I'm thinking there was a very unhappy bridges & structures supervisor on the other end of the phone.

spipedong fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spipedong posted:

When reading bridge clearances.... THINK METRIC! :canada:

:aaa: jesus gently caress, I would expect a railroad bridge to hold up better than that. I could see some minor damage to the bridge with the load being utterly destroyed, rather than the other way around.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

On the coal line this summer we had tons and tons of 135 car 3 packs (19000ish tons). Think that equals out to something like .5ish? hp per ton in notch seven. Nothing like climbing all the hills at 7 to 8mph.

I guess time isn't a factor?

Edit: I'll share this nugget I've had on my DropBox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13788814/DRS-24-a%20Manual.pdf A diesel locomotive operators guide for 1956

ijustam fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2012

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

Geoj posted:

:aaa: jesus gently caress, I would expect a railroad bridge to hold up better than that. I could see some minor damage to the bridge with the load being utterly destroyed, rather than the other way around.

I thought so to. It's almost like the weight of the bridge deck was all that held it down.

On the other hand, my compliments to whoever tied down that backhoe!

Here's the other side.

spipedong fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
that guy's lucky the bridge didn't come down on the cab.

spipedong posted:

I thought so to. It's almost like the weight of the bridge deck was all that held it down.

that is actually how they're built. look closely next time you're under a freeway overpass.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 24, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

Edit: I'll share this nugget I've had on my DropBox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13788814/DRS-24-a%20Manual.pdf A diesel locomotive operators guidebook for 1956

Fact: Coal is a low priority move.

Spipedog: I wanted to tell you these new JEM radios and the new kenwood narrowbands really suck. I still cling to my old Motorola dt2000 like the grim death! Can you fix screens? Mine has bit the weenie and I its a pain to take the battery out to remember what channels the dial sets to.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Fact: Coal is a low priority move.

Spipedog: I wanted to tell you these new JEM radios and the new kenwood narrowbands really suck. I still cling to my old Motorola dt2000 like the grim death! Can you fix screens? Mine has bit the weenie and I its a pain to take the battery out to remember what channels the dial sets to.

Typically it doesn't matter how long it takes the coal to get there, just how often the loads show up.

All Motorola stuff here has been banished to the land of wind and ghosts. I literally have an e-waste box full of HT600's an HT1000's - no 2000's though. You're looking at a pretty steep battle if you want to hang on to that old thing. There are no parts even available through our ordering system to fix any part of it.

What type of radios are they giving you guys? If you're in love with the HTx000, the TK-290 is the most similar control wise and you may be able to request one. Standard issue NB refarm is the NX-210 which is a lot more modern.

As for the narrow banding issues you mentioned, I have a bit of a ranty explaination: (deep breath)

By switching to narrowband, you cut the deviation (bandwidth) of that radio in half. Unfortunately a lot of the commies either don't know or don't care how everything fits together.

Loco/Portable -> Base Radio -> Phone Interface/T1 -> NOC -> Dispatcher

When you go NB on the loco and the base radio is not NB, you're essentially at half the volume that the base is expecting, leading to dropouts and poor reception. It's looking for 5Khz deviation and you're talking to it at 2.5Khz. Inversely, the dispatcher is coming back to you at double volume, leading to over-modulation and distortion.

Similar situation when the tech just uploads the narrowband software to the base radio and doesn't check all of his levels. Now you've got your loco and the base radio matched up, but there's a mismatch between the radio and the telephone interface. As a result, you're going to the dispatcher at half deviation and he's coming back at half deviation.

Luckily, things are getting more uniformly NB which means the majority of the issues will work themselves out. Also, as the telephone interfaces break the replacements are getting aligned for NB as well.

By the way, there is a narrow band related BNSF telecom advisory out with a very specific set of steps to be followed when you write up a radio defect. Hopefully your guys will follow it.

TL;DR = NB won't work as well as WB until everything everywhere is NB. Hang in there!

spipedong fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 24, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ijustam posted:

Edit: I'll share this nugget I've had on my DropBox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13788814/DRS-24-a%20Manual.pdf A diesel locomotive operators guide for 1956

Thanks for this, its glorious.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

spipedong posted:

All Motorola stuff here has been banished to the land of wind and ghosts. I literally have an e-waste box full of HT600's an HT1000's - no 2000's though. You're looking at a pretty steep battle if you want to hang on to that old thing. There are no parts even available through our ordering system to fix any part of it.*snip*

TL;DR = NB won't work as well as WB until everything everywhere is NB. Hang in there!

Damnit, now you made me miss my HT1000. I'm not about to cry for the HT600 though. :-)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

spipedong posted:

Making me sad about my Motorola.
Well, I have been issued a Kenwood, I claimed I didn't know where my Motorola was, so I still use it though. I think the range on my Motorola is way better, even when I am in the bowl tracks getting a track together the engineers can hear the Motorola way better than the Kenwood. So mostly yard guys are clinging to Motorola's and trying to keep them going. But I work for the big yellow monster, so I imagine that might be different than green and orange.

Anyways-

Just for any one who cares, Coal is a pretty low priority move. Its mostly the "Piggy Backs" or "Z Trains" that are the hot shots and all trains usually give way to them.

Ranked order from highest priority to lowest:
1. Piggy Back
2. Amtrak
3. Standard Inter-modal (just double stacked cars)
4. Mixed Freight (box cars, tank cars, hoppers, you know the mixed up trains)
5. Grain
6. Coal

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How do trains handle reefer units? Do they? Does the train crew have to check the reefer units?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

How do trains handle reefer units? Do they? Does the train crew have to check the reefer units?

Not anymore. Most have GPS monitors that do all that stuff. With all the "green" things coming into play they really are super efficient. The GPS will alert a center saying "door is opened" or "low fuel".

I actually popped the cover on one to check out the engine (what good AI'er would I be if I didn't?). The one I found had a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel. This was a bigger reefer car with a Carrier refrigeration unit. Most of them have 500 gallon diesel tanks. I think this is the same diesel John Deere uses in their tractors, and the only reason I am assuming that is because it had a JD oil & fuel filters.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
This is what I am currently working on.

A T class made in 1955. She is loud as gently caress, and the wheels howl even when we do a 7 millimeter cut.

Could do with a clean, though.

(I'm on my phone so could somebody tell me if the image is breaking tables?)

tehsid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 25, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tehsid posted:

the wheels howl even when we do a 7 millimeter cut.

For those of us who are not in the railroad business, what does this mean?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

joat mon posted:

For those of us who are not in the railroad business, what does this mean?

That machine its sitting on is giant lathe. We run the wheels and try and cut the wheel until its nice and smooth again. A 7 millimeter cut is a standard first cut for us. On this first wheel we cut 38 millimeter because it had a massive gash in the flange.

Oh and by howl i mean its screams. Its very loud.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's like an inch and a half. At what point do you have to replace a wheel?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

jamal posted:

That's like an inch and a half. At what point do you have to replace a wheel?
With this one, when the wheel diameter is down to 930 mil unless we have special permission in which case its 921 mil. Under that and we scrap the whole set of wheels.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

tehsid posted:

That machine its sitting on is giant lathe. We run the wheels and try and cut the wheel until its nice and smooth again. A 7 millimeter cut is a standard first cut for us. On this first wheel we cut 38 millimeter because it had a massive gash in the flange.

Oh and by howl i mean its screams. Its very loud.

We'd probably scrap it anyway if it's a problem with the flange. I don't know to be honest, just seems to be the thing that's done. If in doubt, throw it.

What diameter do you guys start fresh wheels on for those?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

BlackShadow posted:

We'd probably scrap it anyway if it's a problem with the flange. I don't know to be honest, just seems to be the thing that's done. If in doubt, throw it.

What diameter do you guys start fresh wheels on for those?
1020ml or so. I'm not 100% as this is the 3rd one we've had in for over a year.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

BlackShadow posted:

As I understand, for us it depends if you can get the flange back in profile or not. If you can get the profile (P2, P3, etc.) back without going under minimim thicknesses on any key measurement, they'll turn it.

e: I presume 'gash' means 'surface defect' not 'crack through flange thickness'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

Nerobro posted:

Damnit, now you made me miss my HT1000. I'm not about to cry for the HT600 though. :-)

If you wanted a paperweight, there are many other options ;)

How's this for some high quality track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11qWro1LzQ#t=1m10s