Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
If you like EQ1 Bards you won't like SOD bards. Other than that, a really fun server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I have only played a bard like once or twice but they seemed alright. I like how you can just pick your spells to play and it does it for you.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...22PvP+server%22

People I know are talking about playing on p1999 Red, and I'm sitting here knowing that if I play I'm just going to wish it was a Shards of Dalaya PvP server instead. :sigh:

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Saw the banner add, read the first couple of pages. drat you EQ, I will never be able to take these nostalgia goggles off.

Will probably start up tommorow, question for you vets-

I dont want to dual box, so its one character for me.

That being said, I was thinking of playing a (from what I remember of old EQ) good solo class, like a necro or druid, possibly bard.

Is there any class I should shy away from? Is there rougly 13 million necros? Is there about 1 enchanter on the server and hes got a lovely internet, so rolling a chanter means people will line up to talk to me?

Basically looking for the state of the game and seeing what I can roll up to help out my fellow goons.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Necros and Druids are both good soloers. Bards are good too but more situation dependent. If you want to single box and solo shy away from rogue, monk, paladin, warrior, sk.

There are always need for druids but there are also a whole hell of a lot of druids. Necromancers I would say there are less of but that does not always equate to easier grouping - healers are always needed.

Enchanter is one of the most powerful end game classes and is also fairly low in population since they were only recently properly rebalanced. That being said soloing on an enchanter is tricky, tricky business. I know lots who have done it but it is not as safe as a druid/necro.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Double Monocle posted:

Saw the banner add, read the first couple of pages. drat you EQ, I will never be able to take these nostalgia goggles off.

Will probably start up tommorow, question for you vets-

I dont want to dual box, so its one character for me.

That being said, I was thinking of playing a (from what I remember of old EQ) good solo class, like a necro or druid, possibly bard.

Is there any class I should shy away from? Is there rougly 13 million necros? Is there about 1 enchanter on the server and hes got a lovely internet, so rolling a chanter means people will line up to talk to me?

Basically looking for the state of the game and seeing what I can roll up to help out my fellow goons.

I would very much suggest you reconsider your stance on dual boxxing as it can make it difficult to get things done on a single character.

In regards to class I think druids are one of the cooler healing classes especially at high end. Necros are disgustingly overpowered in terms of damage and utility as well. At the moment we are lacking in both in our raiding ranks but that shouldn't impact your decision at all. Enchanters are also scarce but people are too stupid to realize how good enchanters are so good luck getting a non goon group on an enchanter(at max level at least).

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
I'm curious what changed with enchanters to make them better. Other than giantkin I don't think they had anything significant to contribute aside from being a buffbot when I played, and i'd be interested in hearing how that changed.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

I'm curious what changed with enchanters to make them better. Other than giantkin I don't think they had anything significant to contribute aside from being a buffbot when I played, and i'd be interested in hearing how that changed.
Umm hmm well, they replaced some of their relic spells with better stuff, added in a group rune with ikisith, added charm daze (debuff on charm break to make it easier to recharm mob) and control enhancement (aa to increase charm duration etc), added in a focus effect that ups slow values/mez durations/maybe something else, added in a passive bonus called Shared Mind that lets you share resist AAs and some others with group/raid respectively.

Really you will always have things to do on a raid as an enchanter but a lot of it like giantkin is really boring and the charming/mezzing aspects of the class barely come into play past a certain point.

cinn
May 13, 2011
enchanters are hands down the strongest class on SoD.

it is absurd.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

To note, enchanters were the strongest class in EQ (at least up to the point I quit when TSS was out) dunno what it's like now, but tash+charm = win

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I love grouping with enchanters. Having a charmed pet on your side is amazing. Really, you can't go wrong with druid, enchanter, necro, and cleric of course. But really make whatever character you feel like because they are all good.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Trying to get this to work, really want to get some of this sweet action. :v:

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Holy poo poo, completely forgot about SoD.

Checking up on my old toon, who's surprisingly still there after all these years, what's up with all the "Bound" stuff?

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Robbie

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Got the game to work! Super excited about this! I've convinced some of my friends to roll up characters with me. Should I bother dual-boxing something if I'm going to have teammates almost all of the time? I'm pretty sure I want to play a SK, so I guess I could box a cleric or enchanter or something depending on what my buddies roll. I know one of them will definitely be making a necro.

The little bit I played last night was fun. I always forget how brutal early levels in EQ games are. There I was, punching bats, and suddenly a little lizard man raped my face. Repeatedly. :(

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Boxing will make your life a lot easier on you so I would suggest doing it. As to bound items those are items that are now bound on equip and so they become automatically bound to your character.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
How is that different from how items are anyway? I thought they made it so everything becomes nodrop when equipped. Or is it that those items can't later be unbound?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Anything that is bind on equip becomes bound after you equip it but can be unbound and resold to players or unenchanted and sold to a merchant.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Goon Squad is on quite a roll lately, having killed Generals and a few other major fights, so if you're looking to escape your relatives for the winter break or whatever now's a sweet time to roll up a new char.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Goon Squad completed ToT? Have you guys done Thaz1/2 yet?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
No but if I have anything to say about it we will soon!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Thread needs more pictures!

Doin some poo poo in Grobb Undercity, a tough tier 9 zone but it has a lot of cool fights!

Quickstreamin super hard! Lizards swim down a river and if you kill enough, quickstream appears! Good XP and cash as well.

Killing some dudes in Emberflow, a fun six man dungeon!

Doing the Eternal Well event! Fun raid event even though it takes a while.

We were killing Baladkins in Prophets Landing and a bored gm started turning us into random creatures!

Just killed some trash mobs in yclist. gently caress these guys are tough :(

There was this big fukkin lizard in a zone!

Staring down the the Generals guards in Tower of Tarhyl!

Here is a dog jetpack!

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 18, 2012

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You should probably not post BMPs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's in the Everquest spirit of ancient formats at least. :v:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

More tanks should come back to play. I need xp. Exion, Qward, I'm talking to you!

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Those BMPs are brutal. Wow.

Whose idea at Verant was it to save them as BMPs anyway.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Null1fy posted:

More tanks should come back to play. I need xp. Exion, Qward, I'm talking to you!

no love for Ruach? shame about me working 2pm to 11pm pst anyway :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Look at that cool monk gegen in a few of those killer bmps, he's so slick and cool, and not actually dead in any of those picture! pretty sure he was probably dead before or after the pictures thought

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Null1fy posted:

Coincidentally, I just got the itch to start playing again. I'll be poorly-tanking with Exion maybe once or twice a week. What are you playing now that you need a tank?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

What nights does Goon Squad raid? Thinking about busting Susvain out of retirement if you could use a monk, or maybe putting some time into a new character.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

On-tier raid nights are Sundays and Thursdays, 8pm eastern. We're starting to get an influx of older characters returning, so we're trying to do off-night below tier content as we can.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

What nights does Goon Squad raid? Thinking about busting Susvain out of retirement if you could use a monk, or maybe putting some time into a new character.

You could come back and tear poo poo up with Susvain because there are no on-tier monks in goonsquad right now. But you'd also be royally cock-blocking Gegen and I if you did come back and play Susvain :p. If you want to come back and play, definitely do it - we're having a lot of success raiding!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

What's the deal with SoD 3.0? It seems like there was a summary post that Zaela made and other people quoted snippets of, but has since been deleted or something.

Null1fy posted:

You could come back and tear poo poo up with Susvain because there are no on-tier monks in goonsquad right now. But you'd also be royally cock-blocking Gegen and I if you did come back and play Susvain :p. If you want to come back and play, definitely do it - we're having a lot of success raiding!

I'll probably log in a bit and see who still plays that I know, maybe raid depending on how much free time I have this week. I wouldn't show up and start rolling on items or whatever so don't worry about that. I never personally raided beyond Thaz, Tarhyl, Prison, etc. so seeing the Well, Grobb and any Ikkisith content would be fun.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 24, 2012

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

What's the deal with SoD 3.0? It seems like there was a summary post that Zaela made and other people quoted snippets of, but has since been deleted or something.

It's a slow transition to the modern client. It allows for newer things, namely classes, AAs and UI features. It has been a very tedious and slow process and since so much of the dev team has overhauled it is probably postponed indefinitely until they get their feat back on the floor with a new batch of devs to lead the project.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Suprfli6 posted:

There's been off and on work on an updated client to get around a lot of limitations on what the devs can do. No word on when anything might be released, though.

quote:

I'll probably log in a bit and see who still plays that I know, maybe raid depending on how much free time I have this week. I wouldn't show up and start rolling on items or whatever so don't worry about that.

It's not so much gear as raid slots, since we have a ton of dps coming back and are scrambling to find places for them all. That said, you'd be more than welcome, especially if you decided to come on offnights and xp as well.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Is there a guide anywhere on raising Gruplok faction? It had only been added very recently when I last played so I'm not sure how to go about working on it. Would the refuge port clicky be easier to get than the Gruplok?

Also, is the fastest way to Ikkisith still North Tarhyl -> PL?

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 31, 2012

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Is there a guide anywhere on raising Gruplok faction?

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/The_Gruplok

Suprfli6 posted:

Would the refuge port clicky be easier to get than the Gruplok?

No. You have to do way more to get refuge faction. It's later down the road.

Suprfli6 posted:

Also, is the fastest way to Ikkisith still North Tarhyl -> PL?

You can port directly to the murk once you're dubious with the frogs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Or just bind there anyway when you're kos LIKE A MAN.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah Sus is bound in the Murk since I'm dubious with Gruplok. I had forgotten how cheap gate potions were.

Trying to catch up on ikkisith stuff is pretty annoying with all of Zaela's posts being deleted.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
A group of friends are thinking of starting up on this server and I was planning on playing the tank. What would be the best class to go with for a full group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Clinton1011 posted:

A group of friends are thinking of starting up on this server and I was planning on playing the tank. What would be the best class to go with for a full group?

Paladin is the best leveling tank. AE blind/stun makes you a tanking god when splitting is not an option.

• Locked thread