Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Santa is strapped posted:

Thirding yes because even with film, the film is processed and can be processed with different chemicals/temp ratios to give a different look.

yes, not to mention darkroom exposure times when making wet prints, which are based off of contact sheet exposure times which are dependent on the negative's processing. shooting black and white film takes time, dammit.

and even if you scan the negatives in, the scanner turns RAWS into tiffs or whatever. what if you have dust on your scanner bed? or negatives? right, so gently caress post-processing, whatever.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

aliencowboy posted:

Yes. Especially considering most images look terrible right of camera when shooting digital.

What? Disagree.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

What? Disagree.

Panasonic raw files look like absolute poo poo right out of camera, I have oft lamented that they look so bad with a supplied editing program crafted from pure manure that a huge whack of the beginner market will just think gently caress it and only shoot in jpg - which is heavily edited by the camera itself.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Santa is strapped posted:

Thirding yes because even with film, the film is processed and can be processed with different chemicals/temp ratios to give a different look.

Yep, not to mention Ansel Adams, that master of photoshop, I think. Or maybe he was the master of the darkroom. Still, he post processed his pictures one way or another.

*Obviously I know that he wasn't using photoshop, but you never know what goons will believe.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The amount of "photoshop" Adams did to his photos is probably more than anyone nowadays will ever do with their film or digital photos. Just reading his explanation of how he "photoshopped" Clearing Winter Storm was insane.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alkanphel posted:

The amount of "photoshop" Adams did to his photos is probably more than anyone nowadays will ever do with their film or digital photos. Just reading his explanation of how he "photoshopped" Clearing Winter Storm was insane.

Got a link? It's still impressive that he did it all manually and it's an amazing photo.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Got a link? It's still impressive that he did it all manually and it's an amazing photo.
I don't think there's any online link for it, I read about it in his book The Print. There's a very brief description of it here: http://www.antsmith.net/Articles/FIEC.htm

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm thinking that a Kodak film division with a simplified product line would be a pretty attractive investment for an entrepreneur with deep pockets. The problem would be getting the rights to all the applicable names and trademarks.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

HPL posted:

I'm thinking that a Kodak film division with a simplified product line would be a pretty attractive investment for an entrepreneur with deep pockets. The problem would be getting the rights to all the applicable names and trademarks.

They were saying their chemical/film patents are worth hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. Its not cheap.

Interesting reading up on the difference between Kodak and Fujifilm. Fujifilm knew that film was dying so looked for new ways to use their chemicals and chemistry.

They created a film that covers LCD screens which is now pretty much the only one used on all screens. They also released a cosmetics line created by their chemical engineers.

Kodak did nothing like this and screwed up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Didn't fuji also turn out to be a front for organised crime?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

A5H posted:

Didn't fuji also turn out to be a front for organised crime?

You're thinking of Olympus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

You're thinking of Olympus.

As someone who owned an E-500, I am in no way surprised by Olympus being terrible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fists Up posted:

Kodak did nothing like this and screwed up.
Not quite. Kodak invested in several other chemical technologies, they reasoned (incorrectly, it turns out) that their expertise in organic chemistry could translate to pharmaceuticals. Fuji went a slightly different way, into cosmetics, with more success. The mistake(s) at Kodak, at least according to what I've read lately, were mostly of omission rather than comission - they failed to do certain actions, rather than getting diverted into too many weird projects.

Big exception there was the development of the "Advanced Photo System" only a few years before the rise of digital would require deep pockets and careful planning to navigate. That minor boondoggle drained Kodak of ready cash right when a few hundred million in liquid assests might have seen them through.

My (baseless) prediction: in 10 years you'll be able to buy 4-5 films with "Kodak" printed on them, in each of black and white and colour (probably a mix of slide and print), courtesy of some other currently-obscure company that negotiates a deal for a suite of patents. I think Kodak's current "Our intellectual property is worth billions!" is strategic posturing, and not really honest. Nothing is worth any more than somebody is willing to pay for it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

What would be interesting would be to sell the film "effects" as an official branded app or whatever for the iphone/android.

It's not quite enough at this point though, but I would definitely imagine the Kodak name will live on in some way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Nothing is worth any more than somebody is willing to pay for it.
Or can be made by a court to pay. Thank you oh great patent system.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I saw this article on kodaks missed opportunities. It really is hilarious in a tragic way and explains precisely what went wrong, but only if you read between the lines

Jeffrey Hayzlett, Kodak Chief Marketing Officer posted:

“It’s sad because they still have good people there,” says Jeffrey Hayzlett, who was Kodak’s Chief Marketing Officer from 2006 until 2010. “Overall the company has made a bunch of bets on technologies and business models that needed a longer runway than they had.”
His bad bets?

quote:

“If you want to point back to the most pivotal moment that caused this,” says Hayzlett, “it was back in 1975 when they discovered the digital camera and put it back into a closet. Some of the same people are still there. I actually had an executive from Kodak come up to me last week and say, ‘I think film’s coming back.’”

The guy maybe wasn't driving the ship when it sank, but he was when it hit the iceberg and took on water without anyone bothering to pump. And he still doesn't see that divisions that make money are more valuable than inkjet printer and digital photo frame divisions that don't. And he manages to shift blame to everyone else (in this article at least)

edit: I realise he wasn't CEO, but it's the CMO's job to move product and generate revenue, so he does have to take a huge chunk of the blame

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 24, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Kind of hit or miss, but this popped up on my Facebook feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnxtdT_wQsI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Kind of hit or miss, but this popped up on my Facebook feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnxtdT_wQsI

That seems more like photographers making fun of wannabe photographers than adherence to the meme. :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

xzzy posted:

That seems more like photographers making fun of wannabe photographers than adherence to the meme. :colbert:

I see no problem there :colbert:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think anything that shits on someone for not doing photography "their" way is pretty lame.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
http://youtu.be/dvu2QPQLlYA

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

35' large format camera for portraits across the country:

https://vimeo.com/34571640

http://www.gizmag.com/35-foot-camera-vanishing-cultures/21178/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

http://youtu.be/dvu2QPQLlYA

Of course comments are disabled. That made me laugh more than the poo poo photographers say video.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I went a few pages back and didnt see anything mentioned and I'm absolutely a rookie when it comes to post processing so could someone tell me what the difference between the VSCO film product is and preset actions?

http://visualsupply.co/film

Are they just very well done presets or actions you run in LR or PS or are they something more actually worthy of purchasing?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
AFAIK they're just really well-done presets.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You could always just pay for some film and shoot it. Instant preset.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Shmoogy posted:

Of course comments are disabled. That made me laugh more than the poo poo photographers say video.

oh yeah, me too. x100

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

dukeku posted:

You could always just pay for some film and shoot it. Instant preset.

I'm aware, I did learn on film but was on a crop sensor for a long time and didnt have the drive to buy up a film body and lenses. I'm about to make a decision based on the the next D800 vs 5/7DMKIII to finally go full frame. Once I buy up some decent glass maybe I'll get a film body too. Till then I was just curious about the product.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

you can get a pentax 35mm and decent glass for dirt cheap. it's not like you need to save to buy for it if you're aiming for a full frame as is.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

titanium posted:

I went a few pages back and didnt see anything mentioned and I'm absolutely a rookie when it comes to post processing so could someone tell me what the difference between the VSCO film product is and preset actions?

http://visualsupply.co/film

Are they just very well done presets or actions you run in LR or PS or are they something more actually worthy of purchasing?

These aren't that great imo.

They're just preset sliders.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

guidoanselmi posted:

you can get a pentax 35mm and decent glass for dirt cheap. it's not like you need to save to buy for it if you're aiming for a full frame as is.

Everyone should have a Pentax ME or similar. Man they are fun.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

These aren't that great imo.

They're just preset sliders.

I like how the Portra ones actually crank up the saturation. So accurate!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dukeku posted:

I like how the Portra ones actually crank up the saturation. So accurate!

Yeah, actions/presets are the snake oil of photography. Especially the sets that are charging 100s of dollars.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I used the dxo demo once upon a time when I only shot digital - I REALLY loved the look of some films. I thought to myself how pathetic it was to simulate film when the real thing is not really hard to get. i think most of my personal photography is film now.

the most important part of moving to film was actually knowing there's a cost per each shot so i made drat sure i wasn't wasting my money. in a few months, my photography really improved.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

guidoanselmi posted:

the most important part of moving to film was actually knowing there's a cost per each shot so i made drat sure i wasn't wasting my money. in a few months, my photography really improved.

It's amazing how many digital-only shooters say that film isn't good for learning on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

It's amazing how many digital-only shooters say that film isn't good for learning on.
I loving sucks to learn the technical side. Once you've got that down, it forces you to think and make photographs instead of just hammer the release. IMHO.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Just to clarify my post I know there isnt a true perfect alternate to film I was just curious if they were selling fancy sliders. I'm aware there are cheap options for those looking to get into film but like I said it's something I dive into later on.

Right now I'm just re-allocating my would be yearly international trip money to a very nice full frame DSLR which I had planned to buy anyway. For some bizarre reason (hopefully not a terminal illness) my dad has decided to take the family to Italy all expenses paid, that seems like as good as an excuse to drop a ton on a nice camera. Like I said I intend to get a film back for whatever brand I end up buying lenses for.

My dads camera from college and the camera I learned how to shoot on starting back in middleschool. I should see if he still has it stashed somewhere, my step-mom tagged me in that photo because she found it after my dad accused me of losing it years ago and would hound me about it every time anything photo related came up. I wouldn't be surprised if he's since donated it.

titanium fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 24, 2012

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

evil_bunnY posted:

I loving sucks to learn the technical side. Once you've got that down, it forces you to think and make photographs instead of just hammer the release. IMHO.

It extra sucks when you're doing medium or large format. Every time I release the shutter with film in the holder on my Crown Graphic I'm out $5-$10 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

titanium posted:

My dads camera from college and the camera I learned how to shoot on starting back in middleschool. I should see if he still has it stashed somewhere, my step-mom tagged me in that photo because she found it after my dad accused me of losing it years ago and would hound me about it every time anything photo related came up. I wouldn't be surprised if he's since donated it.
You should really, really take that along on that Italy holiday and use it there. Try not to lose it ;)