Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It holds the secret third engine for when it goes hypersonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Psion posted:

Well by that logic it could be the storage tank for the poop; Fullbacks have a toilet onboard.

And a cot!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

priznat posted:

This seems relevant, being that it was during the cold war and USN personnel were involved: 42 52 :downs: years ago today (Jan 23, 1960) the bathescape Trieste probed the murky depths of the Challenger deep, 10,916m below the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPU1heok3GE

Speaking of cold war deep sea stuff the story of the Glomar Explorer is amazing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FATWOLF posted:

Speaking of cold war deep sea stuff the story of the Glomar Explorer is amazing.

If by amazing you mean "colossal failure that cost a fortune and was a possible kickback from the Nixon administration to Howard Hughes".

The original plan to salvage the important parts of the wreck with ROVs was passed over for the Glomar Explorer which managed to drop the important parts of the wreck.

... or did it. :tinfoil:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah it was just a very ambitious cloak and dagger scheme that makes for an amazing story regardless of the outcome.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Psion posted:

You know, this has been bothering me for a while, and really started bothering me when I was flying one in Ace Combat a lot (shut up :mad: )

What is in the enormous penis long, hard shaft between the engines on every Flanker? Or the super huge one in the Su-34? I've heard anything from RWR to a full-up rear facing radar set and nobody seems to know for sure. Except, presumably, Sukhoi, but seriously. You'd think a huge dick pointing out the back of an aircraft would get more attention on the internet where these things are the foundation of stupid epeen debates on Youtube over which aircraft is better than which. All of one article I can find on the internet discusses it and calls it a tail stinger, for what that's worth, but no details on what's in the thing.

Seriously. Look at the size of that thing.

It's an ovipositor. Where do you think Su-31s come from?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There are very few places you could take a dump in relative comfort while breaking the sound barrier!

Less now that the Concorde isn't flying anymore.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

You know, this has been bothering me for a while, and really started bothering me when I was flying one in Ace Combat a lot (shut up :mad: )

What is in the enormous penis long, hard shaft between the engines on every Flanker? Or the super huge one in the Su-34? I've heard anything from RWR to a full-up rear facing radar set and nobody seems to know for sure. Except, presumably, Sukhoi, but seriously. You'd think a huge dick pointing out the back of an aircraft would get more attention on the internet where these things are the foundation of stupid epeen debates on Youtube over which aircraft is better than which. All of one article I can find on the internet discusses it and calls it a tail stinger, for what that's worth, but no details on what's in the thing.

Seriously. Look at the size of that thing.

Serious answer: Countermeasures dispenser.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Serious answer: Countermeasures dispenser.

pretty sure it's the galley pod

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It's how they mate.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
RWR/Rear facing radar/chaff/flare dispensor/ EW pod. Its all the things.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
On Su-27s at least it's where the drogue chute comes out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Found a couple pictures from some terrible forum I'd rather never speak of again.

Amusingly, they linked to Livejournal. I should've gone there first, it's the Russian source for everything. Have some sweet Sukhoi photos:

http://dmitrydreamer.livejournal.com/24772.html

There's something EM-transparent on the tip of the stinger and what look like vents (supposedly for the APU exhaust?) and chaff/flare dispensers on the bottom. The -34's chute pops from further up the fuselage, so what's in the stinger is clearly something else.

also some extreme internet grognards claim that it's even worse: There's the standard Su-34 stinger and then a modified, different version! Too many airplane dicks. (The theory is the modified one is for a jammer/ELINT/SEAD platform, a la EF-111 that can shoot back)

So apparently it does everything, indeed.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It's clearly nothing more than an enormous cock 'n balls flipping off the west.

quote:

24. Quite a few places in the tail section is a gas turbine APU, which allows running engines on the ground without the use of ground equipment. This increases the autonomy and expands the number of airbases. All Su-34, manufactured in 2011 equipped with APU. A lot of holes in the bottom of the beam - a place for the false heat targets.
Su-34 has a rear-facing radar, too. May simply be a supersonic aerodynamic thing to have it extend the length of the aircraft like that. Most likely a hosed-up center of gravity from adding the 2nd seat to the cockpit and new phased-array radar that required a massive anal suppository to balance it out.

Worst of all, between the nosejob and suppository, they made it ugly. It takes a lot to turn an Su-27 ugly, but the Su-34 somehow managed it. With such a high polar moment of inertia, it's ruined the Su-27's maneuverability, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 24, 2012

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I donno, I think it looks cute like a big-headed cartoon character.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Su-34 is adorable. You take that back.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The Sukhoi was ugly the second they put canards on it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

jwoven posted:

The Sukhoi was ugly the second they put canards on it.

Look at how wrong you are.

So sad that they pulled the canards from the production version of the -35 though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 25, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I like the look of the 35 without canards, but they fit the 34 just fine. At no point can a Sukhoi be 'ugly'. The Typoon, on the other hand... :barf:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

s0nar posted:

The Su-34 is adorable. You take that back.
OK mom.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The -34 is probably the only ugly jet Sukhoi has produced since the Su-25 (which is ugly by design) and I can't think of one that is ugly (or at least, uglier than its contemporaries) beyond that, so I can cut them some slack on it.

Mr. Despair posted:

So sad that they pulled the canards from the production version of the -35 though.

According to my extremely detailed research on "the internet" which may have consisted of five, maybe six whole clicks, canards are apparently complete poo poo for low RCS, and thus are getting ditched by everyone. Except the Chinese J-20, because I guess they just don't care.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 25, 2012

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's because it was in the design of the Lavi and they can't make anything that isn't copied THERE I SAID IT :colbert:

Except freaky-rear end bullpup rifles I guess.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Mr. Despair posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

[tig]http://i.imgur.com/mLwye.jpg[/timg]

Only looks good from that angle because you can't see the canards :v:

Gross:

Hooray:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

jwoven posted:

Gross:

Hooray:

They're both awesome. :colbert:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

canards are apparently complete poo poo for low RCS,

Not strictly true; the Eurofighter's FLCS automatically adjusts trim so the canards can be kept in a position that minimises their signature.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

Not strictly true; the Eurofighter's FLCS automatically adjusts trim so the canards can be kept in a position that minimises their signature.

I'm not a Radar Master, but wouldn't this fail miserably if you had two+ sources trying to paint the Eurofighter?

Plus the geometry of canards just doesn't lend itself to super-low RCS. Like anything that's a tradeoff, though - if they provide enough benefit in other areas, then they aren't inherently bad for having a downside. Everything has a downside.

bring back variable geometry :colbert:

e:

okay I've been making bad jokes about it looking like a dick but come on from this angle you've got the balls and everything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That jet is hung.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

okay I've been making bad jokes about it looking like a dick but come on from this angle you've got the balls and everything.
I knew I liked that picture for a reason. :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

I knew I liked that picture for a reason. :allears:

This puts all those hours grinding in the Su-34 in AH in a new, somewhat unsettling context.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Psion posted:

I'm not a Radar Master, but wouldn't this fail miserably if you had two+ sources trying to paint the Eurofighter?

Well yeah, but obviously as you said the canards give it an advantage in manoeuvrability.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I heard you guys were talking about sexy aircraft? (bonus: with canards)

Packed Lunch
Jul 25, 2007

jwoven posted:

Gross:

I'd never seen that plane before. It's awesome!

But I think this plane is the best looking plane ever. So...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

Yay Swedish aircraft sex time!

The Draken looks like some super-villain's personal jet from an alt-history timeline.

Gripen and Viggen. Know what's even cooler than calling your plane "Thunderbolt"?

Building a gliding sub-munitions dispenser for it that can be released from just above the treetops at mach 0.9 and naming it after the Mjollnir, the hammer of Thor, god of Thunder, that's what. :black101:

...well, OK, sometimes I too like to go hogging :shobon:

The Tunnan ("Barrel") wasn't the sleekest plane but it did stand up for itself, like a fat redneck female drunkenly defending her male companion from the lustful glances of other females at the water hole.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SAAB automobile can burn in hell though (different division and all that anyway)

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress the haters, Su-34's own, canards own, get out. :colbert:

Edit: the Su25 looks great too :frogout:

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 25, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Totally TWISTED posted:

Still the best value for a new build tactical fighter in my humble opinion.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

iyaayas01 posted:

Still the best value for a new build tactical fighter in my humble opinion.

Still the prickly supply issues of buying equipment from a neutral country if you ever go to war though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Krigen posted:

Still the prickly supply issues of buying equipment from a neutral country if you ever go to war though.

Eh, but you'll always run this risk to some degree...just look at the Argentinians and the (lack of) French support for their equipment during the Falklands conflict. Hell, look at the dispute going on with the JSF and the U.S. refusing to allow access to the source code for other countries buying the jet. Really you're probably better off buying from someone like Sweden that has a much more hands off foreign policy than someone like the U.S. that is going to put all sorts of caveats on what you can and can't do with the weapons system and that has such an expansive foreign policy that you run the very real risk of trying to go to war with a country 15 years down the road and finding out that since they are now a U.S. ally due to some vagary of world affairs your support just got cut off.

(This is assuming you are an unaffiliated country...obviously a country like the U.K. or Japan gains significant advantages from buying poo poo from the U.S. given those bilateral relationships.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I don't know what you're smoking, getting into bed with the US was the worst thing British hawks ever did. What yes, let us rely completely on an ally who is across an easily blockade ocean :downs: On that note...