Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

For what it's worth installing something from Cydia does NOT remove the white icon problem.

Yeah, usually installing something from Cydia requires a respring, which is a temporary fix for white icons. I'm guessing that's why some people keep repeating that as some sort of "fix". All the suggested "fixes" have been useless. Telling people to install something from Cydia, respring, or reboot is silly, because even if you install something from Cydia, respring, or reboot, the white icons come right back.
Luckily, after jailbreaking my 4S a third time, I haven't seen any white icons. So if you haven't yet, you may want to backup & restore, then use Absinthe 0.2+ to jailbreak.

Also, anyone looking for a call blocking app, there is one called "Call Blocker" for $0.99. I haven't used it yet, but anything has to be better than that $12 iBlackList poo poo.
Not only are the iBlackList authors dishonest, they are straight up liars. I've been emailing them about why they are charging $6 to get access to a license I already paid for. They seem to be idiots that can't settle on how their own product name should be. They have it randomly capitalized as iBlackList, iBlacklist, and IblackList throughout their website and even the program. They will straight up deny that to if you ask them about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
maybe this happened prior to the ios5 JB but I didn't notice...

has anyone else had it happen where BiteSMS (which I've set to replace messages.app as much as I possibly can) shows the apple style popups rather than quick reply when;

1.sliding to unlock

and

2. if you dismiss, or don't use quick reply/bring up the message from the notification center

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
So, from what a source tells me, the dev team is supposedly aiming to release a more stable version of the A5 jailbreak in the form of redsn0w. Apparently they're aiming for a release this Thursday if it's stable enough.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the general consensus on InfiniFolders versus FolderEnhancer?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bazaar apparatus posted:

So, from what a source tells me, the dev team is supposedly aiming to release a more stable version of the A5 jailbreak in the form of redsn0w. Apparently they're aiming for a release this Thursday if it's stable enough.

Hoping that has less/no icon fuckery. I just woke up my phone to see some SUPER weird poo poo. BiteSMS has the calendar icon (minus the date) My calendar just has a floating date font (no icon.) Reminders is blank.

Sure it's not hurting anything, but its pretty retarded.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2012

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
I jailbroke my 4s last night running 5.0.1 and I've noticed that songs I've purchased from iTunes will no longer play. Is anyone else having this problem?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

Not holding my breath, but intrigued all the same:

"Dubbed as iOS 5 Battery Fix, currently the tweak is only available to VIP members of the insanelyi forum/repository. Although in public beta, various tests suggest pretty miraculous results, and prove that battery retention can be achieved amongst all iPhone 4S users."
I don't have any battery "issues" but I do have $5 balance sitting in PayPal so I'll give this a try. Looks
Iike a shady as poo poo repo though. :raise:

Edit: for anyone else trying this and unable to find "ios5 battery fix" it's actually called "battery fix ios5"

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 24, 2012

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!

Vinlaen posted:

What's the general consensus on InfiniFolders versus FolderEnhancer?

FolderEnhancer is better in most ways (options, customizability, nested folders, etc.). Infinifolders is much more elegant, it's basically Apple's native implementation without the app limit restriction. I use FolderEnhancers on my phone but I like Infinifolders on my iPad for some reason.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

I don't have any battery "issues" but I do have $5 balance sitting in PayPal so I'll give this a try. Looks
Iike a shady as poo poo repo though. :raise:

Edit: for anyone else trying this and unable to find "ios5 battery fix" it's actually called "battery fix ios5"

The whole thing is shady as gently caress.

No files in the download ("it's all scripted!"), no perceivable changes (possibly placebo), no information on what it actually does, and then the balls to ask people to pay $5 to get access to it (for just one year).

Edit ... and other sites are calling it a hoax.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2012

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Are there any apps to make a bluetooth keyboard more useful? e.g. fixing the ctrl key in iSSH or binding keys for navigation in Safari.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

randyest posted:

I don't have tomtom installed anymore but navigate from maps works perfectly with navigon, (which I prefer.)
Well, unfortunately I'm not really willing to fork over $60 for another GPS app when I've already paid roughly that for TomTom and it works quite well normally. Hoping someone else has seen this issue with TomTom, as googling the problem has not been helpful.

This is the screen I get whenever TomTom loads up the link it gets from Maps.

On my 4 it used to just state the ending street name instead of "NomDestination", but never the full address. I'll probably have to end up emailing the dev to see if they can help.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Percy Teatwillow posted:

I jailbroke my 4s last night running 5.0.1 and I've noticed that songs I've purchased from iTunes will no longer play. Is anyone else having this problem?
Are you using iTunes Match? I've found that since jailbreaking I've had to delete and redownload any songs that were on my phone before the jailbreak to get them to play.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

Diabolik900 posted:

Are you using iTunes Match? I've found that since jailbreaking I've had to delete and redownload any songs that were on my phone before the jailbreak to get them to play.

No I'm not, but I haven't tried redownloading them yet.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Valencia posted:

Well, unfortunately I'm not really willing to fork over $60 for another GPS app when I've already paid roughly that for TomTom and it works quite well normally. Hoping someone else has seen this issue with TomTom, as googling the problem has not been helpful.

This is the screen I get whenever TomTom loads up the link it gets from Maps.

On my 4 it used to just state the ending street name instead of "NomDestination", but never the full address. I'll probably have to end up emailing the dev to see if they can help.
I have the exact same problem... I just tried it today as a matter of fact.

Navigon seems to work though...

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
I never got into making some fancy pansy lock screen. I like simple.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

toastR posted:

The swipe up from the bottom of the screen gestures are really useful. I have one side assigned to show the native app switcher and one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps. Feels very natural and well-suited for one-handed operation.

I just tried this but for some reason I can't get it to work all the time, sometimes the swipe from bottom gesture works but other times it either registers as a press and activates whatever button it touches or it just doesn't register at all. Is there a way to change the sensitivity or something?

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I got an iphone 4S that I just tried jailbreaking and I can't get past the "ABSINTHE is now setting things up, please stand by..." screen. Do I need to wipe it and start from scratch? It works just fine on my iPad 2.

Edit: Nvmd. Redoing it 6 times is apparently the solution.

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 25, 2012

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
It's been a while since I bothered with Spire or heard any news about it. Are there any reliable Siri proxies running at this point that make it worth reinstalling Spire?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

The whole thing is shady as gently caress.

No files in the download ("it's all scripted!"), no perceivable changes (possibly placebo), no information on what it actually does, and then the balls to ask people to pay $5 to get access to it (for just one year).

Edit ... and other sites are calling it a hoax.
Yeah, agreed, but I did it anyway. $5 for 3 device licenses (perpetual for the app; the "for a year" part is just for "VIP access" to their special Cydia repo, which I don't give a poo poo about.) Got "Battery Fix iOS5" installed on my 4s and my wife's 4, (pad2 not supported, contrary to previous reports I read.) I'll reserve judgement until I've run down the batteries to 0 and then charged back to 100% to "calibrate" but so far it does seem to be draining less slowly. 30 minutes of Netflix at 100% brightness with wifi, 3G, and bluetooth on dropped it from 71% to 69% and before it was more like 4-5% per 30 min which would work out to the "advertised" 10 hours of video v:shobon:v If I can get even 10% battery improvement for $1.67 per device it'll be worth it. I wonder what the catch is though...

Cythrelo posted:

It's been a while since I bothered with Spire or heard any news about it. Are there any reliable Siri proxies running at this point that make it worth reinstalling Spire?
No.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Regarding that battery fix: it does nothing.

http://www.bingner.com/batteryfix.html

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I finally got Barrel after all the praise it gets and I'm just not feeling it. I can't imagine what it used to be like when it only had 1 effect and people were still recommending it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zeph posted:

Regarding that battery fix: it does nothing.

http://www.bingner.com/batteryfix.html
Yeah getting worse http://translate.google.com/transla...unziona&act=url

I guess I just donated $5 to some shady fuckers and took one for the team v:shobon:v

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe
Oh man, there's been like 400+ posts since I last checked this thread and the A5 JB is finally out! Yay!

So here's my question: My ipad2 is running 4.3.3 and I'm wondering what the best way to upgrade is without losing all my data. I heard TinyUmbrella doesn't work anymore for 5.x, but I've used DataDeposit to back up all my important data, so I'm guessing that can be restored easily. Is there an easy way to restore all my Cydia apps, or will I just have to redownload them again? I'd like to do this with losing as little stuff on my ipad as possible...

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You don't have as much on there as you think. Back up your app data with DD and then do a wipe and start clean. It's better that way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know why people always throw the start clean. Unless something's broken, why?

I went from a jailbroken 4 to a 4S which I finally jailbroke and since it was still the same iCloud backup all my jailbreak settings were there once I installed the apps. No need to put my info for the GV Extensions or sign up / link DataDeposit. Even my activator settings were there.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I'm having trouble SSH-ing into my phone. It's a 3GS running 5.0.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm on a mac, and I can ping to the phone's IP just fine, but when I try "SSH root@IP Address" I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused". I've tried googling but all the links coming up are old and mostly for windows. I've also set the phone to not go to sleep. Anyone know what's up?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Monarch posted:

I'm having trouble SSH-ing into my phone. It's a 3GS running 5.0.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm on a mac, and I can ping to the phone's IP just fine, but when I try "SSH root@IP Address" I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused". I've tried googling but all the links coming up are old and mostly for windows. I've also set the phone to not go to sleep. Anyone know what's up?

Have you installed OpenSSH on your phone via Cydia?

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Monarch posted:

afaik you can't connect if the screen is locked

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know why people always throw the start clean. Unless something's broken, why?

I went from a jailbroken 4 to a 4S which I finally jailbroke and since it was still the same iCloud backup all my jailbreak settings were there once I installed the apps. No need to put my info for the GV Extensions or sign up / link DataDeposit. Even my activator settings were there.

Starting Clean isn't a necessity, but it's ALWAYS a good idea.

I know this isn't an iPhone example, but I had a new iMac that kept waking up at weird hours and lighting my room. NOTHING I could do could fix it. Turns out it was a corrupt setting from a backup dating FOUR loving computers ago (like 6 years.)

You'll encounter less issues starting clean. Starting NOT clean doesn't guarantee you'll have issues. Starting clean just improves your odds, and narrows your problems.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if jailbreaking messes with iCloud synchronization/restoration? I haven't had any problems with it nor have I heard anyone else have problems with it, so the answer's probably no, but I'm curious nonetheless.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Starting clean also helps streamline your applications/tweaks/media. If you need something on your iPad after wiping it then you'll install it. If it was something you installed 8 months ago but have never used then why have it installed in the first place? I know it's not needed in the grand scheme of things, but it really helps clean up things as your start from scratch and install stuff on a need by need basis.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Karthe posted:

Does anyone know if jailbreaking messes with iCloud synchronization/restoration? I haven't had any problems with it nor have I heard anyone else have problems with it, so the answer's probably no, but I'm curious nonetheless.
iCloud is fine. No idea about iTunes Match but that's a messy piece of poo poo anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone having issues with iBlocklist on a 4S? It works great but when I do answer an incoming call the phone locks up after I hang up and I have to reboot it.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Have you installed OpenSSH on your phone via Cydia?

Yes, and like I said I set the screen to never lock.

Sledge
Oct 18, 2004

Breathing in Fumes!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

iCloud is fine. No idea about iTunes Match but that's a messy piece of poo poo anyway.

No kidding. Biggest waste of $25.00 I ever spent. Hopefully the make it better before my renewal is up

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Siritoggles works like less than 50% of the time. When I say "Lower Brightness to 20%" DONT loving BRING UP WOLFRAM ALPHA STATISTICS OR TELL ME YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M ASKING, OKAY?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For anyone wondering, OS X version of Absinthe requires Snow Leopard or Lion.

It doesn't work with standard Leopard. Yes, my Mac mini is old.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is there an app to mirror image (flip in X or Y direction) the screen no matter what is running/displaying? Sounds crazy, but my wife doesn't have a phone mount in her car, but she does have a flat dash, and I can toss my phone up there, the bumper keeps it in place/no sliding, and in anything less than direct sunlight it "projects" a perfect HUD image on the windshield, perfect for Navigon .. except for that whole left-becomes-right effect of mirroring. :(

Feenix posted:

Siritoggles works like less than 50% of the time. When I say "Lower Brightness to 20%" DONT loving BRING UP WOLFRAM ALPHA STATISTICS OR TELL ME YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M ASKING, OKAY?
Do you have a lisp or something?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is it a known issue that WinterBoard may cause iAds to appear on the springboard?

Also, those Siri controls kept failing for me. Repeating the same command would alternate between it doing it, and it doing a search for what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

Is there an app to mirror image (flip in X or Y direction) the screen no matter what is running/displaying? Sounds crazy, but my wife doesn't have a phone mount in her car, but she does have a flat dash, and I can toss my phone up there, the bumper keeps it in place/no sliding, and in anything less than direct sunlight it "projects" a perfect HUD image on the windshield, perfect for Navigon .. except for that whole left-becomes-right effect of mirroring. :(

Do you have a lisp or something?

Nope. I don't have an accent, a lisp, a mumble or a stutter.

Legit Siri stuff NEVER misses a beat with me.

Furthermore, Siri is repeating back (in text and in voice) EXACTLY what I asked, so I know she heard me right. She just says she doesn't know what to do with that info. (or she brings up some Wolfram Alpha calc page on what 20% means.

What verbiage are you using to ask her to do backlight stuff?

• Locked thread