Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TACD posted:

Are you sure it auto-deletes old tracks?

Yes, but it does it through some kind of voodoo algorithm. It would be more accurate to say it deletes less important tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

You could turn off "Show all music".
Well bugger me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to add old tracks to a current podcast? I've got a few old episodes of a podcast (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History) that I'd like to put back in iTunes, but every time I try to drag them to iTunes, they show up as a separate podcast.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I wish smart playlists updated properly in iTunes match and there was a quicker way to view what's on the device than scrambling through the settings, a smart playlist for what is on the device for example.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got another problem..I've been adding a bunch of audiobooks to iTunes, and despite the fact that each book has 'remember playback position' checked, and the format is set to audiobook, iTunes always reverts back to the 1st file when I try to resume playback. Do I have to combine all these files into one single file for iTunes to remember where I left off?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there any way to add old tracks to a current podcast? I've got a few old episodes of a podcast (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History) that I'd like to put back in iTunes, but every time I try to drag them to iTunes, they show up as a separate podcast.
I remember looking up how to do this a while ago. It's an absolute clusterfuck of editing .xml files and hoping you don't destroy iTunes. Google it but it's probably not worth it. :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Got another problem..I've been adding a bunch of audiobooks to iTunes, and despite the fact that each book has 'remember playback position' checked, and the format is set to audiobook, iTunes always reverts back to the 1st file when I try to resume playback. Do I have to combine all these files into one single file for iTunes to remember where I left off?

All of my audiobooks are split among multiple files and iTunes remembers my positions just fine. I can't tell you what your problem is, but at least now you know what it's not...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Choadmaster posted:

All of my audiobooks are split among multiple files and iTunes remembers my positions just fine. I can't tell you what your problem is, but at least now you know what it's not...

Yeah, it's really strange, as I figured once all the tracks were grouped together under a single audiobook in the books menu it would remember position as 'book x time y' but all it remembers is how far into each individual track I am. So if I get to track 3 minute 5, when I try to play the book again it starts back at track 1, but when it hits track 3 it moves to minute 5. It's doing this for all the books I've added so far..bleh.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Maybe check and make sure all the tags are consistent in each file? And all properly filled out? I get mine from Audible so they're all tagged properly, but other sources may be less stringent.

One set of tags that stand out to me are the "track X of Y" tags. I could see the lack of those being what's confusing iTunes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell I've got everything properly tagged..just checked one of the books and all the files have the same Artist, Album Artist, Album, Year, 'of' track # (and all of them have proper #s as well), disc #, and genre. Grouping, composer, comments, and BPM are all blank, but I don't think that'd matter. Under the Options menu, Remember position and skip when shuffling are both Yes.
One thing that is weird is the media kind says Music, but all the files are located under the Books section of iTunes. When I change that to Audiobook and select OK, then check again, it's back to music..is that normal or is something weird going on?

edit: just checked, and when I look at individual tracks, the media kind is listed as Audiobook, so I doubt that's the problem either...

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 25, 2012

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

make sure you are the owner of the files in your iTunes library and that you have full write permissions, sometimes you'll only have read access to a file and it makes things not work properly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anmitzcuaca posted:

make sure you are the owner of the files in your iTunes library and that you have full write permissions, sometimes you'll only have read access to a file and it makes things not work properly.

Yup, all the permissions seem to be fine too. Just tried removing all the audiobooks from the library, moved the folder out of the iTunes music folder, restarted the computer, re-added the files to iTunes, set the media type to audiobook...still no luck..bleh.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I've got a new internal harddrive for my computer, so I can finally fit all my music on there, instead of only a selection, while the the whole lot is stored on an external drive. If I just drag the music folder on my external drive into iTunes now, will it also import the tons of duplicate files? I set iTunes to copy everything to my Media folder, so might there even be some duplicate filename problems?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FLX posted:

I've got a new internal harddrive for my computer, so I can finally fit all my music on there, instead of only a selection, while the the whole lot is stored on an external drive. If I just drag the music folder on my external drive into iTunes now, will it also import the tons of duplicate files? I set iTunes to copy everything to my Media folder, so might there even be some duplicate filename problems?

1. If it's already in iTunes tell iTunes not to manage your music (if you haven't already).

2. specify your library location for iTunes and tell it to manage your music.

3. use the iTunes consolidation option and it will move all the music into your iTunes library directory

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

TACD posted:

Are you sure it auto-deletes old tracks? I've never seen anything that says that. Genuinely curious, if it does then I'd love to know so I can stop deleting albums once I've listened to them to save space. Wish there was an easy way to view all the music currently loaded on the phone.

Part of iOS 5 is the ability for the OS to delete application data that can be redownloaded to make room for new data. App data can either be "cache" in which case it's not backed up and can be purged as needed by the OS, or "documents" which do get backed up and are not subject to being purged. I'm assuming that with iTunes Match that all music is considered cached since it can be redownloaded as needed.

This actually presented a problem to pilots like me who use the iPad for aviation chart data. Chart data is big enough that the aviation apps treat it as cached since it can be redownloaded, but finding out that your aviation charts got purged because you downloaded a new song before hopping in the plane is less than ideal, especially since you're not going to be redownloading it while in the air. Luckily Apple added the ability to let apps mark cache data as "don't purge" in 5.0.1.

edit since I didn't realize there was another page of the thread when I typed this:

GobiasIndustries posted:

You should be able to right click on the podcast, tell it to show all available episodes, then click the get button to download them. If you want to keep them around, be sure to select those episodes, right click and tell iTunes to not allow auto delete.

fordan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 25, 2012

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

You should be able to right click on the podcast, tell it to show all available episodes, then click the get button to download them. If you want to keep them around, be sure to select those episodes, right click and tell iTunes to not allow auto delete.

That worked for most of my podcasts, but a few of them have removed old episodes from the RSS feed (This American Life, DCHH, etc.) so this won't work unfortunately.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

benisntfunny posted:

1. If it's already in iTunes tell iTunes not to manage your music (if you haven't already).

2. specify your library location for iTunes and tell it to manage your music.

3. use the iTunes consolidation option and it will move all the music into your iTunes library directory

It imported everything properly, but there still remain some duplicates (with a trailing "1" in the filename). I searched for those in Finder and deleted them from the harddrive. Is there a way to tell iTues to mark/filter/delete those library entries that have missing files now?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Go to the File menu, and pick show duplicates. Then you can probably sort the list by date added to group up all the invalid files. Then delete them.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Edit: I'm an idiot. Carry on.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 26, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should read the OP. Specifically, the "Moving Your Music and Library" part I wrote.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

TACD posted:

Are you sure it auto-deletes old tracks? I've never seen anything that says that. Genuinely curious, if it does then I'd love to know so I can stop deleting albums once I've listened to them to save space. Wish there was an easy way to view all the music currently loaded on the phone.

Yes, but it has to reach the threshold.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Blah, I tried to go into the iTunes store today and for some odd reason iTunes decides to crash every time I do so. I get a sync services issue also whenever I open iTunes. Could this lead to the problem or is it something else.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Still having problems with the multi-part audiobooks. I've gone as far as buying the Audiobook Builder software and using that in an attempt to create apple-specific audiobook files with no luck. For reference, I've now tried multiple books in mp3, m4a, and m4b formats, and NONE of them resume playback on the correct part of a multi-part book. Am I missing something completely obvious here, or does iTunes just not handle audiobooks correctly at all?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Still having problems with the multi-part audiobooks. I've gone as far as buying the Audiobook Builder software and using that in an attempt to create apple-specific audiobook files with no luck. For reference, I've now tried multiple books in mp3, m4a, and m4b formats, and NONE of them resume playback on the correct part of a multi-part book. Am I missing something completely obvious here, or does iTunes just not handle audiobooks correctly at all?

GobiasIndustries posted:

just checked, and when I look at individual tracks, the media kind is listed as Audiobook, so I doubt that's the problem either...

Did you check every single file? Maybe only the first is getting marked as an audiobook when you're trying to change the set or something.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Choadmaster posted:

Did you check every single file? Maybe only the first is getting marked as an audiobook when you're trying to change the set or something.

Yep, I've gone through and checked all the settings and id3 tags individually as well. I've even got a set of files in m4b format, all tagged correctly, which is supposed to be Apple's audiobook format. I'm starting to feel crazy here because I've gone over the settings about a hundred times now and any article I look up about this stuff on google is usually from 2009 or so. I'm starting to feel crazy now, like I'm expecting some functionality that just isn't in there.

edit: after loading some books on my iPod classic and finding that the audiobooks menu is just a gigantic list of files rather than categorized by book, I'm going to just go with the assumption that apple doesn't support multi-part audiobooks the way I wanted. Thanks for the help all, this doesn't seem to be a fight worth fighting anymore though..

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 27, 2012

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Anyone know of a good AtomicParsley GUI for Windows? I've been using Videoscripts, but it's been spotty.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Armitage posted:

I've had that happen when I sync my iphone. Some songs I know I've listened to the same day as I sync to iTunes don't update. Others, the play count doubles :psyduck:

I'm sure a solution has been posted here, but I can't find it for the life of me :(

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get this to work properly, or if there are alternates to itunes.

I played a bunch of songs since the last time I synced. Only one song updated it's play count and last played this time. At least it didn't double play counts.

I don't know what to do. If it helps, I have Windows 7, and don't have iTunes Match. I've tried to look online for information but it doesn't seem like there's any real information on this despite a lot of people talking about it.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 27, 2012

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit: after loading some books on my iPod classic and finding that the audiobooks menu is just a gigantic list of files rather than categorized by book, I'm going to just go with the assumption that apple doesn't support multi-part audiobooks the way I wanted. Thanks for the help all, this doesn't seem to be a fight worth fighting anymore though..

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. You should be making a single book file with multiple chapters. If it's a big book, break up up into like 5-10 hour chunks to keep the file sizes decent and limit the number of chapters you have to sequence through. iTunes/iPods/iPhones/etc should keep track of where you are in any given chunk.

If you do a "Get Info" on the file you're not able to hold your position on, does it have "Remember Playback Position" checked under options?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. You should be making a single book file with multiple chapters. If it's a big book, break up up into like 5-10 hour chunks to keep the file sizes decent and limit the number of chapters you have to sequence through. iTunes/iPods/iPhones/etc should keep track of where you are in any given chunk.

If you do a "Get Info" on the file you're not able to hold your position on, does it have "Remember Playback Position" checked under options?

I have a large number of audiobooks broken up into individual chapter files (chapter 1.mp3, chapter 2.mp3, etc...) and it seemed to me that, once under one 'book' in the audiobook menu, iTunes would have remembered both what file and where in that file I'd left off. Even if this wasn't the case, I was expecting the iPod Audiobooks menu to be broken down by book, rather than a huge list of individual files. I was wrong on both counts. I'm in the process of converting each audiobook to a single .m4b file now so it's pretty much a non-issue now, I think i was expecting some functionality that iTunes/my iPod don't provide.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I have a large number of audiobooks broken up into individual chapter files (chapter 1.mp3, chapter 2.mp3, etc...) and it seemed to me that, once under one 'book' in the audiobook menu, iTunes would have remembered both what file and where in that file I'd left off. Even if this wasn't the case, I was expecting the iPod Audiobooks menu to be broken down by book, rather than a huge list of individual files. I was wrong on both counts. I'm in the process of converting each audiobook to a single .m4b file now so it's pretty much a non-issue now, I think i was expecting some functionality that iTunes/my iPod don't provide.

Yeah, it keeps track of position within a single file, not where you are in bunch of files. You have Audiobook Builder which should make it fairly simple to combine them all into a single file with chapter markers; I used it to convert my CDs of the various Harry Potter books to audiobooks.

The iOS-based iPod Touch & iPhone will hide the individual files under a single entry for the book, but it still won't remember which file you're listening to. Typically I use a playlist to keep track of the audiobook chunks I haven't listened to (usually Audible.com, which splits books at around the 6 hour mark), and when I listen to a chunk, I remove it from the playlist. It can also control which books get synced which I use for my iOS devices, although with my iPod Classic I just keep all my books on there and use the playlist to track what I haven't listened to yet.

blazing_ion
Jul 11, 2008
Just hopping in to give a big thank you to this thread. You've inspired me to turn my disorganized mess of music I never listen to into a lean, mean, powerhouse of playlists. I've actually discovered GiGABYTES of music I never knew I even had this week and also purged over 50GB of useless, repetitive garbage I've been carrying around for 10+ years.

5'd.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this'll help anyone else, but I posted in this thread earlier about my problem with Podcasts not being grouped together properly in the podcast menu. If anyone is interested in fixing that problem, I used MP3Tag to access the extended ID3 tags on some of the files I was having problems with. I copied the EDIT: PODCASTURL field from one of the 'good' podcasts, added it to the files I wanted to get included in the podcast, and voila! Everything is showing up properly now.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 30, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
QUESTION. This is actually a few questions so please bear with me. I hate iTunes and most Apple products with a justifiable passion, but the iPod is pretty drat neat and iTunes is an awesome way to get music.

I just spent the last 3 hours editing the metadata of all the music I have on this netbook (about 5 gigs.) These 5 gigs is the result of about 4 years of various downloads, CD Rips, and purchases from Amazon, Allofmp3.com etc. As a result of this, the metadata for the tracks was all over the place. Now that I have all the metadata fixed, I want to buy an iPod Classic 160 GB to start my music collection with!

1.) If I move my current perfected library into iTunes, will iTunes gently caress with the data and jack it all up again? I know iTunes is very heavy handed, authoritarian, and restricted on how it manages your music and what it lets you do with your own music.

2.) If I move all my current perfected music onto an iPod and hook it up to my desktop PC, can I 'synchronize' the iPod without deleting everything on it? I don't want to lose all my perfected metadata music and have it replaced with the old hosed up stuff. That would seriously piss me off!

That's it! How will iTunes gently caress with my music files and can I connect an iPod to another computer without iTunes deleting everything off the iPod and re-synching it to another library? Can I just say 'No, don't do that. Instead, just let me tell you what music files I want from this different computer onto you."

Please say yes. I want an iPod Classic but if it wont let me do what I want then I'm stuck with this SanDisk :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

5GB? Why don't you just back it up somewhere and then give it a try. And if you don't like it, restore it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

IUG posted:

5GB? Why don't you just back it up somewhere and then give it a try. And if you don't like it, restore it.

Ok, I suppose I can do this. I do have an external 500GB harddrive that can easily accomodate it, but what about the iTunes problem?

When I go to hook up my iPod to my desktop, iTunes will tell me I need to synch it to the desktop. Doing this will result in my perfected music to be wiped and replaced with the hosed up music. I don't want this.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Packard Goose posted:

QUESTION. This is actually a few questions so please bear with me. I hate iTunes and most Apple products with a justifiable passion, but the iPod is pretty drat neat and iTunes is an awesome way to get music.

I just spent the last 3 hours editing the metadata of all the music I have on this netbook (about 5 gigs.) These 5 gigs is the result of about 4 years of various downloads, CD Rips, and purchases from Amazon, Allofmp3.com etc. As a result of this, the metadata for the tracks was all over the place. Now that I have all the metadata fixed, I want to buy an iPod Classic 160 GB to start my music collection with!

1.) If I move my current perfected library into iTunes, will iTunes gently caress with the data and jack it all up again? I know iTunes is very heavy handed, authoritarian, and restricted on how it manages your music and what it lets you do with your own music.
No, iTunes will not modify ID3 tags unless you tell it to. However, any file inside the iTunes library directory will get renamed to fit the "Artist\Album\TrackNo - TrackName.*" naming scheme. Files outside the iTunes library directory will be kept intact.

Packard Goose posted:

2.) If I move all my current perfected music onto an iPod and hook it up to my desktop PC, can I 'synchronize' the iPod without deleting everything on it? I don't want to lose all my perfected metadata music and have it replaced with the old hosed up stuff. That would seriously piss me off!

That's it! How will iTunes gently caress with my music files and can I connect an iPod to another computer without iTunes deleting everything off the iPod and re-synching it to another library? Can I just say 'No, don't do that. Instead, just let me tell you what music files I want from this different computer onto you."
You'll have to manage your music manually, otherwise iTunes will clear the iPod.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

hirvox posted:

No, iTunes will not modify ID3 tags unless you tell it to. However, any file inside the iTunes library directory will get renamed to fit the "Artist\Album\TrackNo - TrackName.*" naming scheme. Files outside the iTunes library directory will be kept intact.

You'll have to manage your music manually, otherwise iTunes will clear the iPod.

The link you listed doesn't work.

My concern about the ID3 tags is having the song labels and titles screwed with. I hate seeing poo poo like 05_01_Song_Title. I thought if I wanted songs displayed in iTunes and songs to be moved onto iPods it had to be in the iTunes library. Can iTunes be told where to pull music from to put on an iPod without it actually being in the iTunes library?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Packard Goose posted:

The link you listed doesn't work.

My concern about the ID3 tags is having the song labels and titles screwed with. I hate seeing poo poo like 05_01_Song_Title. I thought if I wanted songs displayed in iTunes and songs to be moved onto iPods it had to be in the iTunes library. Can iTunes be told where to pull music from to put on an iPod without it actually being in the iTunes library?

Link works for me. I'm 80% sure what it says only applies to non-iOS based devices, but since you were talking about a iPod Classic, that should be ok. (Why a Classic with only 5GB of music?)

As was said, iTunes won't gently caress with your id3 tags; if the id3 is correct when it goes into iTunes, that's what will populate the iTunes database and get pushed to the iPod. What iTunes will do is rename your files to fit into its hierarchical naming scheme if you let iTunes manage your files for you. You have the option to keep them outside of iTunes control, but the thread title has an opinion about that.

If you go into iTunes and change the song title, artist, etc inside iTunes it will push that down to the tags in the file, but that's probably desired behavior for most people.

As for your second question, what are you trying to do? You can't pull music off an iPod (other than iTunes purchased music) without 3rd party software. If you just want to be able to listen to your music on the second computer, you can actually play the music from the iPod through iTunes, you just can't copy it. Alternatively, you could spend the $25/year to get iTunes Match and have your music be in the cloud where any iTunes associated with your account can get to it and stream/download it regardless of the iPod being connected.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ Match won't work with Classics.

Packard, one thing that may be confusing you is the fact that there's an iTunes library, and the iTunes media folder, and they're not the same thing. This is kind of repeating what others have said, but ...

The library is just a database of songs (and video, apps, etc., but let's keep it simple) you've told iTunes to include. iTunes won't touch these files unless, as mentioned, you explicitly edit the name/tag in iTunes. Adding files to the library can be done a few ways, but the most common is probably just by going to File -> Add Folder To Library.

The iTunes media folder is a folder that iTunes uses as a default to include in your library. In addition, *if you set it to*, iTunes will move or copy (depending on your settings) any songs you add to your library to the media folder. This action will rename the file (as mentioned, to the <disc #> <track #> <Title>.<ext> format you don't like), but won't mess with the tags.

You don't have to use the media folder at all -- in fact, I didn't from about 2004 until a few months ago. But, as the thread title suggests, you'll most likely find in the end that the benefits of letting iTunes manage things outweigh the fact that you have to live with "04 TrackName.mp3".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I'm certain that some time ago I read how you can add and play mkv and avi files from your iTunes library, but now I just can't find it again. Anyone have any links, or how to do this?