Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
edit: It seems the already existing Book Barn thread wasn't for general Star Wars EU discussion so I'm going to move this into there and re-open it. Have fun.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This thread gets moved around more then the stolen death star plans. Speaking of stolen death star plans. I have no idea if this was Zhans way of mocking the cliche or jumping head first into it, but in Specter of the past it turns out Han helped another group steal parts to one of the super lasers, and thats why he was so conviviality on Tatooine.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That was actually a reference to a story Zahn wrote that was in the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina collection. It wasn't that Han had anything to do with the actual event, he just heard about it later (iirc, during the run-up to the assault on the second Death Star) and could therefore verify the identity and story of Shada Dukal.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its been joked about a lot, but is there actual a terribly convoluted flow chart of the Death Star plans? I'm sure it would need a few alternate realities and continuities. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline. I seem to remember capturing the shuttle used in ROTJ in a few different games for instance. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Bombadilillo posted:

Its been joked about a lot, but is there actual a terribly convoluted flow chart of the Death Star plans? I'm sure it would need a few alternate realities and continuities. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline. I seem to remember capturing the shuttle used in ROTJ in a few different games for instance. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline.

I always operated under the assumption that all the different "plans" from the Death Star throughout the continuity (Dark Forces and some PSP game both had Death Star plans) were all pieces or otherwise incomplete. Up until the Bothan's plans in New Hope, which finally gave them the complete schematic and a flaw to exploit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The Bothans didn't have anything to do with the first Death Star, as far as I'm aware. They only found out about the second Death Star under construction over Endor.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Esroc posted:

I always operated under the assumption that all the different "plans" from the Death Star throughout the continuity (Dark Forces and some PSP game both had Death Star plans) were all pieces or otherwise incomplete. Up until the Bothan's plans in New Hope, which finally gave them the complete schematic and a flaw to exploit.

The Bothans were the ones who got the Death Star II plans. Or take credit for it. Its one of those things in the EU where they're all proud about it and stuff, even though it was a trap set by the Empire.

Oh, and the whole 'many Bothans died to bring us this information' is dumb. The fight for them happens in the SOTE novel, and like a single squadron of Bothans is shot down. In a time of intergalactic war, that seems quite a petty thing to moan about.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Carnaticum posted:

The Bothans were the ones who got the Death Star II plans. Or take credit for it. Its one of those things in the EU where they're all proud about it and stuff, even though it was a trap set by the Empire.

Oh, and the whole 'many Bothans died to bring us this information' is dumb. The fight for them happens in the SOTE novel, and like a single squadron of Bothans is shot down. In a time of intergalactic war, that seems quite a petty thing to moan about.

That's an easy mistake to make, but Mon Mothma didn't actually say "Many Bothans." She was talking about her lover, Manuel Both-Hanz, the daring and resourceful intelligence agent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carnaticum posted:

Maybe there are just 50 Bothans alive in the galaxy. "Relatively many Bothans died to bring us this information" just doesn't sound as nice.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's an easy mistake to make, but Mon Mothma didn't actually say "Many Bothans." She was talking about her lover, Manuel Both-Hanz, the daring and resourceful intelligence agent.

Good lord...

This is a good explanation. Shame it is non-cannon (makes more sense than most EU explanations for things.)

e:

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe there are just 50 Bothans alive in the galaxy. "Relatively many Bothans died to bring us this information" just doesn't sound as nice.

If there were whole races out there with such tiny populations, the size of the Clone Army suddenly makes sense...

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 25, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There's only like 1 or 2 cities on any given planet, so ..

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Anyone remember a graphic that was in memory of "Manny Bothans" who died getting the 2nd Death Star plans?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

I think some more died on the planet (Kothlis?) when Vader & friends attacked it after Luke, but in comparison to the deaths around the galaxy during wartime, it would have hardly registered.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

arioch posted:

The Bothans didn't have anything to do with the first Death Star, as far as I'm aware. They only found out about the second Death Star under construction over Endor.

The G level canon is that it was one human spy called Manny Boffins who died to find the plans. The EU added the alien species.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manny_Boffins

efb. to this joke.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

arioch posted:

And Dash Rendar helped with stealing the plans (at least in the N64 game). AAm I the only one to remember this?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Pththya-lyi posted:

This is one of those links I go to click and just know its a fake one.....well gently caress me running.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Darth Freddy posted:

This is one of those links I go to click and just know its a fake one.....well gently caress me running.

My initial reaction was that he must have written the article up really quickly prior to posting but nope, years of history and revisions. Star Wars never stops giving.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ashcans posted:

My initial reaction was that he must have written the article up really quickly prior to posting but nope, years of history and revisions. Star Wars never stops giving.

Do you honestly think I could come up with something that clever? If you knew me at all, you'd know I'm not nearly that funny. (You'd also know I'm a "she." :smug:)

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
So, was there originally a "lorelol" explanation on why Jabba went from a fat dude to a man-slug of sorts?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Duckman2008 posted:

And Dash Rendar helped with stealing the plans (at least in the N64 game). AAm I the only one to remember this?
And there was a cutscene in either X-Wing or Rebel Assault (pretty sure it was X-Wing) that showed the plans being intercepted by a Rebel listening post disguised as an asteroid.

"Stole the Death Star plans" is basically a meme at this point.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Ashcans posted:

At least its from a comic book and not actually cannon. Still the idea of Mon Motha dating so little chubby midget dude makes me smile.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Do you honestly think I could come up with something that clever? If you knew me at all, you'd know I'm not nearly that funny. (You'd also know I'm a "she." :smug:)

It just struck me that the Star Wars thread is a place where you won't get nerdbombed for being female. Oh how far we have come.

All the pubecent nerds are probably discussing Mass Effect. Stupid series, has no official cannon. We've got like 4+ :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

omg car crash posted:

So, was there originally a "lorelol" explanation on why Jabba went from a fat dude to a man-slug of sorts?

As I recall, The Secret History of Star wars has something on it, but don't remember what exactly. I do recall the author fully debunking Lucas' claim that Jabba was always going to be a slug-creature superimposed over the human actor.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

As I recall, The Secret History of Star wars has something on it, but don't remember what exactly. I do recall the author fully debunking Lucas' claim that Jabba was always going to be a slug-creature superimposed over the human actor.

The arguement was that the actor had a fully developed costume (browns on a brown backround) with props and stuff, also Han walks around back. Both these these made it extra difficult to CG over (impossible with tech lucas knew of at the time).

Also the line "Jabba, you're a lovely human being" works as a badass moment but the Secret History argues it was supposed to be literal, weaker of the arguements from where I'm sitting. The fully developed costume is pretty telling.

Edit: Also scripts may said he was a human, but I'm not sure on that.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It just struck me that the Star Wars thread is a place where you won't get nerdbombed for being female. Oh how far we have come.

All the pubecent nerds are probably discussing Mass Effect. Stupid series, has no official cannon. We've got like 4+ :colbert:

That sound you just heard was a 1000 thousand goons clicking on her profile. Honestly outside of "ironic" comments SA treats both members of sex the same. Wanna see the creepy stuff? Join a pubbie ST TOR guild.

Jabba was suppose to be human. Just look at the original scene.

It wasn't until the finally script he went all slugo. From what I have read he was suppose to be originally a more furry character before that. Pretty much he got changed around a lot since the first script came out.

Triple edit. I know what I am gona be next Halloween.

http://old.boxwish.com/profiles/merchandise/fancy-dress/adult-jabba-the-hutt-inflatable-fancy-dress-costume

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 25, 2012

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Duckman2008 posted:

If I remember the novel correctly, Dash helped steal the plans, but failed to save some Bothans when a "diamond shielded missile" headed for the Bothans that Dash failed to take out (which got a smug Luke partly happy to see Dash taken down a peg for not being the hotshot he thought he was but also sad for not being able to save those bothans as well). It then turned out that Dash's shot was spot on, but nothing he had on board would stopped the missle. Dash Rendar was as good as advertised.

I know it hasn't aged as well, but I want to say that I thought Luke's combat scenes using the force were very enjoyable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's been a while, but I just ran across something on Wookieepedia that actually made me say "oh for gently caress'S SAKE" out loud.

This is canon.

Is that a battle-droid face for his shoulder armor?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Powered Descent posted:

It's been a while, but I just ran across something on Wookieepedia that actually made me say "oh for gently caress'S SAKE" out loud.

It's just for a card game. I wouldn't put too much stake in it actually holding up as canon. The card games have often taken liberties with canon.

EDIT: Besides, he looks kinda badass.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Esroc posted:

It's just for a card game. I wouldn't put too much stake in it actually holding up as canon. The card games have often taken liberties with canon.

EDIT: Besides, he looks kinda badass.
No lie, he looks kind of horrifying. I would not cross that dude even without the lightsabre. If all gungans had been like that, the prequels would have been saved (or at least significantly closer to it).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Gonna just leave this here:

Mike Krahulik posted:

If you want to read a really incredible story of a Jedi falling to the Dark Side check out the Legacy of the Force series. Despite Troy Denning attempting to ruin it with every word he writes, the rest of the writing team managed to make a great story. Karen Travis writes a fall to the Dark Side that is actually believable. You really get an idea for how seductive the Dark Side can be and how an honestly good person could give themselves over to it.

It makes me excited for the future of SW:TOR. Imagine a future update in which one of the Jedi story lines involves a brush with the Dark Side and even the ability to fall. Now that would be amazing!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Say what you will a game mechanic where you can fall to the dark side would be awesome. I don't know if something like this exists, steering clear of TOR cause, you know kids and life and stuff. But a mechanic where you can tap into dark actions or powers with no indication of how it changes your character behind the scenes would be awesome. SW games generally have you working your rear end of building towards the dark side. Imagine a hard boss fight where the game offers to instantly unlock the highest level force lightning! Tempting, but with unknown and unstated consequences.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 26, 2012

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Oh god, I can only imagine the amount of man-babies that would be crying about how they spent so much time crafting their perfect jedi and it's not fair that they went to the dark side and they should have been warned and that they want a do-over.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Scruff McGruff posted:

Oh god, I can only imagine the amount of man-babies that would be crying about how they spent so much time crafting their perfect jedi and it's not fair that they went to the dark side and they should have been warned and that they want a do-over.

Good news, everyone! I've just invented a campaign that can redeem your fallen Jedi. And even better, it only costs $50 for the DLC.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Scruff McGruff posted:

Please some autistic nerd would figure out on day 1 the optimum amount of "dark sided-ness" would be ideal for the most powerful Jedi ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Please some autistic nerd would figure out on day 1 the optimum amount of "dark sided-ness" would be ideal for the most powerful Jedi ever.

I have to know, are you using "autistic" because aspergers doesn't officially exist anymore?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Flagrant Abuse posted:

No lie, he looks kind of horrifying. I would not cross that dude even without the lightsabre. If all gungans had been like that, the prequels would have been saved (or at least significantly closer to it).

All other Gungans where like that, it's just that Jar-Jar was a total gently caress-up that happened to have the most screen time.

E: its it's

Constant Hamprince fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 30, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened to Luke's lightsaber after his hand was cut off in Could City?

I assume that was the one Obi Won gave him in SW.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

euphronius posted:

What happened to Luke's lightsaber after his hand was cut off in Could City?

I assume that was the one Obi Won gave him in SW.

Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to. :colbert:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker%27s_second_lightsaber

List of canonical owners of Anakin Skywalker's second lightsaber (I presume it means users people who touched it, since Padmé never owned it):

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
Dooku
Hondo Ohnaka
Padmé Amidala
Grievous
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Luke Skywalker
Palpatine
Luuke Skywalker
Leia Organa Solo
Mara Jade Skywalker

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 30, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I read that. I seems to remember from ESB that Luke's hand falls out into the atmosphere of Bespin. But that claims a maintenance droid found it and the laser sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Locutus of Bald posted:

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
Dooku
Hondo Ohnaka
Padmé Amidala
Grievous
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Luke Skywalker
Palpatine
Luuke Skywalker
Leia Organa Solo
Mara Jade Skywalker

I thought this was both a duplicate and a typo, but no, there is somebody actually called Luuke Skywalker. I don't think I could ever read that without hearing "LuuUUUUke" like how the cartoon dog says "CoooOOOOkie Crisp!"