Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

The corner loop is quite a bit easier, actually. On the corner loop, the key is just keeping everything quick and solid. If you only do one M in the air, you can do 4 reps before a TK plasma beam xx air finger lasers. If you're wanting to do sphere flame or level 3 though you're right, they're going to tech out after the OTG on the 4th rep so you have to end it at 3. I've found it actually doesn't matter if the H OTG hits once or twice, in fact letting it hit twice increases the damage and meter gain.
You can do 4 reps of the corner loop into level 3 if you let the s.H hit twice and activate right after the second hit. Also I think s.M f.H might be a faster relaunch if you feel you won't make it in time for the s.H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Brett824 posted:

If you use Morrigan assist and don't use an rear end combo on hit you can remain neutral (or a little big negative, but if you have a full meter at the start as buffer you can still kill an entire team if the dude puts down his controller)

Personally my problem is that I can barely play Firebrand and can't play the rest of the team at all. I'm gonna keep working at it, though.

e: I'd like to see someone way more talented than me try running the team in a serious manner though. I'd probably just choke and drop it if I was far along in a large bracket.

Can you run the loop in a meter neutral way with Strider anchor for the Vajra assist? I played a guy online who flew up back with Firebrand, spit fireballs, and called Vajra anytime he thought I might superjump up to him. It was pretty tough to deal with and I only got in on him because I baited one of firebrand's swoopy moves and punished him. Plus, Strider anchor with orbs is crazy good.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So is Vajra assist a good anti-air then? Because if it is I may try that on my Sentinel on point troll team.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Rokstar posted:

So is Vajra assist a good anti-air then? Because if it is I may try that on my Sentinel on point troll team.

From everything I've sen on Streams, Vajra is amazing anti-air. It's decent anti-everything, but it makes many safe air moves unsafe.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

The Rokstar posted:

Ever got tired about Wesker doing bullshit 'port up and shoot' poo poo? Vajra is the ultimate counter to stuff like that and flying in general. So yeah, it's pretty decent antiair.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Well, drat. I need to practice with Morrigan again. Never even realized a lot of that stuff was possible.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah. Vajra is great anti-air. It tracks the opponent and causes hard knockdown if it hits them in the air. There is some synergy with Sent since he can pick people up with L Rocket Punch.

You'll also want to check if Vajra can work as one of the assists in Sentinel's s.H xx c.H + assist 1, s.H xx c.H + assist 2, repeat offense. It seems like it should but I haven't personally tried it.

Dren fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Vajra is good AA but not in the way that MvC2 assists are good AA. It'll knock someone out of a super jump really nice (which is actually super useful in this game because of dicks like Zero and Wesker) but if someone is tri jumping on you it's not great. It's still perhaps the best assist in the game though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
It's possible to grab Strider through Orbs. Usually after a teleport.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Strider pretty much feels like DP at this point when he has Xfactor+3 meter you are going to lose a character maybe 2 pretty much no matter what happens.

I play Strider as my anchor and I can say for certain that L3XF + Orbs is still not nearly as scary or good as L3XF Dark Phoenix.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If you activate XF3 and LV3 and then manage to kill a character (which does feel pretty inevitable, yeah), Ourobouros will definitely run out of time before you can do much damage at all to the second character, and probably before they come in at all. At that point you're dealing with just a regular XF3 character, which admittedly are almost all absurdly powerful, but it's nothing at all like dark phoenix where you can burn through an entire team long before the x-factor timer runs down.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so this is a totally dumb question and it's going to expose how much of a training mode warrior I am, but how do you deal with someone who picks a quick character like X-23 and just mashes on jab or other really quick poo poo all day? It doesn't seem like your standard block and punish works in this game like it works in Street Fighter because everything is just so goddamn fast.

There was also the game where I lost to Ghost Rider j.S spam, but we shall not speak of that...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Okay, so this is a totally dumb question and it's going to expose how much of a training mode warrior I am, but how do you deal with someone who picks a quick character like X-23 and just mashes on jab or other really quick poo poo all day? It doesn't seem like your standard block and punish works in this game like it works in Street Fighter because everything is just so goddamn fast.

There was also the game where I lost to Ghost Rider j.S spam, but we shall not speak of that...

Just don't press buttons. Seriously people will throw out random jabs or low shorts with high priority because they expect that you will probably press a button. Just block the whole string or pushblock to get them off you and and then attack at the right time.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Somewhere, Dieminion is looking at this video with the look of discontent on his face. The only Morrigan Combo you need is Soul Fist xx Soul Fist xx Soul Fist xx Soul Fist xx Soul Fist.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

As soon as I get paid I'm likely grabbing Ultimate so I can get thoroughly destroyed by everyone. What are the best sticks for XBox?

edit: I traded in vanilla but played entirely pad and it was sometimes a pain in the rear end BUT I am also cheap as hell

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Spaceman Bill posted:

As soon as I get paid I'm likely grabbing Ultimate so I can get thoroughly destroyed by everyone. What are the best sticks for XBox?

edit: I traded in vanilla but played entirely pad and it was sometimes a pain in the rear end BUT I am also cheap as hell

The Fighting Game Thread posted:

This one.

Spaceman Bill posted:

Then you're S.O.L. Sorry.

You could get an SE or some crappy Hori but they're cheaper because they're worse.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Oh nooooooooooo!

edit: maybe I can make the jump to REAL DEAL w one of my February paychecks (since I'll basically get double for one of my teaching gigs since the semester started so late) but for now my godawful Deadpool/Doom/Skrull team will have to tolerate an xbox controller

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 25, 2012

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

The Rokstar posted:

Like the other dude said, don't press buttons. Just pushblock and zone her out the best you can. What's your main team?

quote:

Teleports shut him down.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

The answer is different for different characters. When you're fighting someone who mashes on jab all day you can block the jab until it pushes you out of jab range, wait for them to whiff a jab, and punish. Some characters are safe when they're in your face with a blockstring. You have to find other ways of opening them up besides block -> punish.

Spaceman Bill I have two Hori sticks. They are nice. I've never used a TE, though I intended to buy one when I got the nicer of my Hori sticks. The TEs are always sold out when I go to buy them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Spaceman Bill posted:

Oh nooooooooooo!

edit: maybe I can make the jump to REAL DEAL w one of my February paychecks (since I'll basically get double for one of my teaching gigs since the semester started so late) but for now my godawful Deadpool/Doom/Skrull team will have to tolerate an xbox controller

The SE is a fine option to start with. The parts will last a while, and they're fine, especially if you don't know better. I got an SE, played on it for about 5 months, then dropped sanwa/seimitsu parts in it once a single button sorta started to go (and I really 2 spares since they're 8 button controllers.) Total cost was roughly equal to a TE, and I actually enjoy the smaller size of the thing. I'm pretty sure that dual mod solutions, like the TEasyStrike, fit the SE, so the only real downside is that you can't get custom plexis for art or whatever. But if you buy an SE now, you'll probably get the WWE-branded BRAWLSTICK which already has the best possible art on it.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Boxman posted:

so the only real downside is that you can't get custom plexis for art or whatever.

This isn't true anymore. There's a dude on SRK who can do custom stuff for the SE body now. It's also worth noting that at least the TE Kitty does NOT work with the brawlstick despite working with the old SE (IIRC) so it may be the same for the TEasy Strike.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Spaceman Bill posted:

Oh nooooooooooo!

ill play with you sometime just remind me

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

The Rokstar posted:

As mentioned teleports are good vs ghost rider, but if you can do anything at full screen then that's also a good place to be since he can't do anything at that range. j.S is pretty easy to push-block and against most ghost rider players don't expect them to stop throwing out crap all the time. That's pretty much all he can do.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
My strategy against Ghost Rider is to just kill the other members on his team and time him out, since my team typically controls mid-screen and I can't really do anything to Ghost Rider at that range without getting smacked about. It works until I have to fight him on point. :derp:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Ghost Rider is fairly easy to zone out. Magneto's disruptor with Sentinel drone assist is a big hassle for me to deal with. Deadpool on his own can gently caress right off but he's gonna have assists for that added layer of protection.

After playing him for so long I'm not sure why people have trouble with him unless they're just unfamiliar with him. He needs assists to do adequate work because the only trick up his sleeve on his own is catch people rushing in with XFGC Penance Stare.

I recently put him on the shelf because the people around here know what's coming with him.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 25, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Metrohunter posted:

My strategy against Ghost Rider is to just kill the other members on his team and time him out, since my team typically controls mid-screen and I can't really do anything to Ghost Rider at that range without getting smacked about. It works until I have to fight him on point. :derp:

What team do you play? There is definitely stuff you can do against Ghost Rider. The big thing you need to do against Ghost Rider is find a way to get into a spacing that he doesn't like. If you can get too close to him or too far away from him most GR players will spire or dash to reset the spacing, which should give you some time to call an assist that will help you get in.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chocolate America posted:

Like the other dude said, don't press buttons. Just pushblock and zone her out the best you can. What's your main team?
Last night I was running Hulk/Sentinel/Doom, which is probably why I was having so much trouble because Hulk and Sentinel's normals (even their jabs) seem to be in startup for seven years. I do need to pushblock more though, I know that's something I'm not doing enough.

I sort of get the feeling that Hulk is just straight up hosed against Ghost Rider though. He has to get close to do anything, and as soon as I got midscreen or closer Ghost Rider would trade in his j.S spam for standing H spam and oops I'm on the ground hey ouch stop doing that

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Rokstar posted:

Last night I was running Hulk/Sentinel/Doom, which is probably why I was having so much trouble because Hulk and Sentinel's normals (even their jabs) seem to be in startup for seven years. I do need to pushblock more though, I know that's something I'm not doing enough.

I sort of get the feeling that Hulk is just straight up hosed against Ghost Rider though. He has to get close to do anything, and as soon as I got midscreen or closer Ghost Rider would trade in his j.S spam for standing H spam and oops I'm on the ground hey ouch stop doing that

Can you hyper on reaction to something like j.S and hit? Ghost Rider seems like he has such a long recovery on some of his attacks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

X-23 has a 4 frame jab. Doom is 5 frame, Sent is 7, Hulk is 9. To put this in perspective for you,

4 frame jab - beats 69.8% of the cast
5 frame jab - beats 35.8% of the cast
7 frame jab - beats 7.5% of the cast
9 frame jab - doesn't beat anyone, Hulk's jab is the slowest in the game

Fun fact, Ammy has the fastest jab in the game. It's 3 frames.

The takeaway is don't try out-jab people with Sentinel and Hulk.

Does Hulk's Gamma Charge beat GR's s.H?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dren posted:

Yeah I figured that out eventually, I'm just sort of slow when it comes to these things. :downs: Now it's just a matter of figuring out what I *can* do.

My reactions aren't that good anyway (plus I'm playing online), so even if their jabs were faster I still don't think trying to out-jab someone would be a good idea. It's just sort of what I go to, for whatever reason.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

Dren posted:

X-23 has a 4 frame jab. Doom is 5 frame, Sent is 7, Hulk is 9. To put this in perspective for you,

4 frame jab - beats 69.8% of the cast
5 frame jab - beats 35.8% of the cast
7 frame jab - beats 7.5% of the cast
9 frame jab - doesn't beat anyone, Hulk's jab is the slowest in the game

Fun fact, Ammy has the fastest jab in the game. It's 3 frames.

Does Hulk's Gamma Charge beat GR's s.H?

You don't have to worry about this, Marvel isn't really a frame data game. Especially when you have jab/shorts that rapid fire. If you have problems against people who mash jab, just pushblock and/or whiff punish. X23's Ls don't have the best hitboxes, a lot of people have buttons that will beat hers. Sent/Hulk armor moves are great here

Don't fight Ghost Rider with Hulk, swap your team order.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
As a dedicated Hulk player, it's not really worth using Hulk against Ghost Rider.

Assuming any Hulk player has some sense, you're probably going to want to run him on point usually, which means that you should get Hulk out of there whenever he's matched up against GR.

If you have to play Hulk against GR, be prepared to be very patient and block. A lot.
It reminds me a lot of the Gief-Sim matchup in ST although much worse because this game has Superjumping and Hulk's throws aren't really worth a poo poo unless you X-Factor cancel or have them in the corner.

Just keep in mind that 1-on-1 Ghost Rider has no way to chip you when he's in the air, and that Hulk's standing M has armor from the 3rd frame and can kara-cancel into other moves with armor/invincibility.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Dren posted:

What team do you play? There is definitely stuff you can do against Ghost Rider. The big thing you need to do against Ghost Rider is find a way to get into a spacing that he doesn't like. If you can get too close to him or too far away from him most GR players will spire or dash to reset the spacing, which should give you some time to call an assist that will help you get in.

Captain America/Skrull/Sentinel. Sentinel's big enough to get tagged by GR's chains at full screen and Cap can't safely throw shields around in the range that I want to. I only picked up Skrull a few days ago but my usual approach is airdashing into crossup Orbital Grudge which gets stuffed by his standing S.
It's just playing patiently to get in but then when I am in, his st.H followup leaves him at +3 so it's not easy to catch him out of anything after a blockstring either.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!
1v1, Cap/GR matchup is usually in Cap's favor. It really comes down to who has the better assists. Cap's usual movement options are jump shield throw. Ghost Rider has few options at that angle (in the air as well) except for diagonal chain grab and the chain projectiles. Those options are really slow and if predictable, Cap has options around them. If Ghost Rider throws projectiles, Cap can shield charge through them. Ghost Rider with strider vajra assist is powerful in stopping Cap and other people that are in those bad angles. The matchup is in Cap's favor if he can call a long range assist that will continue to hit after he does his jump shield throw, setting him up for another jump shield throw or whatever he needs to stay in.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

I dunno I've never been able to start up a shield slash offence when playing Ghost Rider and the Captain America forums on SRK seem to suffer from similar issues in the matchup. :shobon:

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Metrohunter posted:

Captain America/Skrull/Sentinel. Sentinel's big enough to get tagged by GR's chains at full screen and Cap can't safely throw shields around in the range that I want to. I only picked up Skrull a few days ago but my usual approach is airdashing into crossup Orbital Grudge which gets stuffed by his standing S.
It's just playing patiently to get in but then when I am in, his st.H followup leaves him at +3 so it's not easy to catch him out of anything after a blockstring either.

I imagine a well-timed Elastic slam could be used to either punish a ground string or grab them out of the air before the j.S comes out??

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Should do. To be honest, I haven't seen any Ghost Riders since I started playing Skrull but he's been the main thorn in my side when I have Cap on point.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Am I right in thinkin Doom's plasma beam assist is the best for Captain America and Super Skrull? I've been trying out all three of his assists and I can't really figure out which one I like the most.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Can't you extend Cap's combos using a beam assist? Or does that only work with Iron Man's beam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Cap reeeeeally likes a horizontal space-covering assist (of which plasma beam is still the best in the game) to cover his cartwheel crossup nonsense. And I've seen cap players do L shield slash + beam assists for easy relaunches in the corner.

• Locked thread