Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

revmoo posted:

E36. Same as yours though: M50B25 (402 ecu).

Oh excellent. Where did you pick this chip up? Of course if I really want some performance out of mine I should probably fix the VANOS seals first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Your e35 has VANOS? I thought it was a non-vanos. Is it a m50tub25 then? I think that's a 403 ecu. You have to know for sure before ordering. I cross-referenced a couple charts I found since I was too lazy to physically check.

Loving the chip more and more as I drive it. It really adds a lot more aggression to the engine. I'm not going to post the 0-60 time I got until I can verify with better equipment, but I'm very happy w/ it. Do other 325s have to do a shift to third for a 0-60 run? I don't but it's pretty close to the revlimit.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

faulteroy posted:

Looks like it probably is: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61409

I'd never heard of this before, but it looks like trade assist basically equals lemon. According to that thread, BMW will sometimes offer "trade assist" if your car can't be fixed or if the fix would take longer than 30 days. The old car is sold as a "BMW Trade Assist" vehicle, rather than a lemon. This is done because many states will declare a car a lemon if any one problem will take more than 30 days to repair.

Yep. Found the service record for this one. Lots of issues.
code:

10/24/2011 10/31/2011 26 23,833  Input flange (incl. rotary shaft seal) leaking
10/04/2011 12/29/2011 0 23,840  Failure of navigation CIC (car information computer with hard disk) Navi Professional Software error

10/04/2011 10/31/2011 0 23,840  Failure of navigation CIC (car information computer with hard disk) Navi Professional Software error

09/09/2011 09/09/2011 0 22,023  CORE CREDITS - AUTOMATIC VIA IWS - MINOOKA PDC

09/09/2011 09/09/2011 21 22,023  Navigation CIC (car information computer with hard disk) Navi Professional, failure Software error /

08/12/2011 08/12/2011 1 21,406  Radio Professional Software error / internal device fault

08/10/2011 08/11/2011 1 21,279  Xenon lights control unit Software error / internal device fault

08/09/2011 08/10/2011 0 21,255   OIL SERVICE(MP)AFTER THE 1ST
85990501MP STANDARD OPERATION MP

07/05/2011 07/12/2011 8 18,517  SCR active reservoir, including mounting cracked / broken / torn off
61610077MP FT WIPER RUBBER INSERT-MP

05/16/2011 05/18/2011 3 13,799  E90 M57 Protective Hose, B16 13 10

04/21/2011 04/22/2011  1ST ENG OIL SERVICE-FULL MAINTENANCE
85990501MP STANDARD OPERATION MP

07/16/2010 08/09/2010 Idling quality under all operating conditions misfires / malfunction

06/21/2010  QCI SPOT DELIVERY

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I did it!

I pulled the trigger on a clean black 07 E60 550i. Holy crap I mean, I thought my E39 was a rocket ship (with out M fast parts), but this car takes it to a whole new level. It feels heavy, but still way more nimble due to the rack and pinion instead of the recirculating ball set up. A stack of records showing it was looked after, all in all paid around 18,000. I ordered up a set of rims for summer tires and it already has a winter set on it. The butt dyno says that it is definitely faster than my 540i.

The previous owner purchased another 550i. And he had a E39 540i before that, so I am not worried about the miles ore if it was looked after. He seems like he knew the weak points of a BMW, and that he put some new suspension bushings on recently (record confirmed) and that he replaced the radiator recently (again confirmed).

Pics will follow when it finally gets nice out and I am not working.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Quick e36 question: Does anyone know off the top of their head if the e3 328is diff is a 4 bolt input shaft with a 6 bolt (evenly spaced) output shaft? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3.23 LSD to make rallycross a bit more fun, but I'd prefer to avoid having to swap flanges when I change the diff.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

revmoo posted:

Your e35 has VANOS? I thought it was a non-vanos. Is it a m50tub25 then? I think that's a 403 ecu. You have to know for sure before ordering. I cross-referenced a couple charts I found since I was too lazy to physically check.

Yeah all the 525i models 1993+ have them. Mine was built late 1992 so its probably one of the first to have the VANOS. At the moment I kind of wish it didn't because the car is gutless below 3k rpm due to a bad seal.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
So as you may or may not be aware, my e39 M5 has been getting random errors on startup (maybe 3-4x a month it'll throw an SES and then clear it after the next startup)

Finally, I got a code that wasn't just "MISFIRE CYLINDERS 1-4 HURR"!

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0491: Secondary Air Injection System (Bank 1)
P0172: System too Rich (Bank 1)
P1346: Misfire During Start Cylinder 3
P1348: Misfire During Start Cylinder 4
P0316: null
P1344: Misfire During Start Cylinder 2
P0313: Misfire Detected with Low Fuel

It's always been misfire during start, bank 1 too rich, bank 1 too lean, misfire w/ low fuel, etc.

I've swapped plugs and coils between banks, but it's always bank 1. Finally I have a code that tells me SOMETHING.... but what is it? M5board says "get the powerchip with the carbon buildup fix" but that seems like a half-assed hack. If there's something actually hosed up or a shitload of carbon build-up, I'd like to fix it, not bandage it.

The actual "fixes" described are usually summed up as "pulling the heads off and a minimum of $5K". What the hell?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I've heard about that on other engines but didn't know it was an issue with those. It seems like it senses the passages are clogged, or at least it's effects, but doesn't really plan for reading rich because of it. I'd honestly say get the chip if there's one that kills the error. It's a stupid cold start emissions thing that barely runs and barely does anything when it does and isn't even going to be tested for at an emissions check.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's the coils. It's always the coils. (disclaimer: may not be the coils)

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
So my 528e has developed a transmission leak and I don't even know where to begin with figuring out exactly what it is, but I have done this much:

I put my car up on jacks when it was pretty much out of fluid. Started the car, put some more transmission fluid in, and within just a couple seconds it started dripping from... well, where this picture shows.

It drips pretty freely (ate through a total half a gallon of fluid after about half an hour) and I have absolutely no idea what that thing is, or where the liquid is coming from. All I know is it's in that general area and when I clean it to try to find the source of the drip, it seems to just magically manifest and drip from the same spot without me being able to see a visible source.

Help please? This is unfortunately my only vehicle right now and I love it to pieces but :smith:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Got around to changing my plugs this weekend.

Welp.

That's plugs 1-6 left to right. Car runs considerably better, but, honestly, still like poo poo. Blowing oil out exhaust, smoke above 4k, etc.
I had planned on pulling them out in a few hundred to see if its the coils...anyone have any ideas? I was planning on selling my cabriolet this weekend but after seeing this...I'm having second thoughts and may consider getting rid of the coupe in a hurry.

e: Also, there was absolutely no oil in my spark plug holes when doing the job, a little carbon that increased numerically, but nothing more.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Crustashio posted:

Quick e36 question: Does anyone know off the top of their head if the e3 328is diff is a 4 bolt input shaft with a 6 bolt (evenly spaced) output shaft? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3.23 LSD to make rallycross a bit more fun, but I'd prefer to avoid having to swap flanges when I change the diff.

To answer my own question, the 2.5/2.8 e36s have a 4 bolt input shaft with 6-bolt 86mm BCD output shafts. M3s with U-joints are 4 bolt, CV joints are 6 bolt input. M3 Output shafts are 6-bolt 94mm BCD.

To not waste this post, here is a picture.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Got a little question here. I'm about ready to put my head back on, and I was looking at pictures of other m42s at TDC, and noticed that pretty much every other picture of other people's blocks their pistons were in the opposite pattern than mine when at TDC.

Is this a cause for concern? I'm using a flywheel TDC lock pin, and the cams were at TDC before I removed the head, and the car ran before I removed the head.

Here's some pics:

My block:

Someone else's (of many) on Google images:

My head and freshly powder coated stuff that wants to go back on:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How did you determine TDC? With the cams?

Because cams are at "TDC" twice per revolution. Looks like the bottom end is 180 degrees off to me.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

I believe I "determined" TDC when the TDC pin fit into the flywheel, and the cams were at TDC.

This is mainly because I could never fit the flywheel pin in while using the mark on the crank pulley to get TDC that way.

So I just turned the motor until the TDC pin fit into the flywheel, when that happened I saw the cam sprocket arrows were both pointing up and proceeded to remove the head.

If I recall, I turned the motor several times to make sure there wasn't TWO flywheel holes or something, because the crank pulley arrow never ever lined up when the flywheel pin fit in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait, I was getting your photos reversed. YOURS is on the top. The front is cylinder 1 and it's up. That's what you want.....if you have the pin in there in that position you should be fine. I forgot about the pin thing and was thinking flywheel lock through the starter.

It's strange that the crank pulley didn't line up with the boss on the engine. Maybe it's been messed with, but if I recall, it has a woodruf key so I don't see how it could be "off" at all.

I'd say you're good to go. Can't explain why so many photos you found show something other than cyl 1 up all the way.....that's pretty much the definition of TDC.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah TDC and BDC are getting confused somewhere here. Your picture is TDC, that other one is BDC.

And for the mark being off, maybe your damper is slipping? They're two unconnected pieces just held together by rubber. Happened on my old chevy without completely destroying it.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Yeah TDC and BDC are getting confused somewhere here. Your picture is TDC, that other one is BDC.

I'm not even sure the other one is BDC. the 2-3 pistons don't look like they're up far enough.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks! Now one more teeny tiny request. The one last little hangup I have is, I can't identify where this was supposed to go, eek.

Anyone know where that washer bolt cover thingie goes?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Dumb question alert!

Will Style 135's (E60 M5) work on my E60 550i? I saw a set on ebay, which were way over priced, but they were powder coated black and I think with my black car will look absolutely fantastic. I posted an ad in our market place, but figured once taxes come back I will treat myself to a nice set of rims for the summer.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Style 135 are also E46 ZHP wheels. Didn't know they came on any other car.

Here is some more info on sizing/offset, if that helps...

http://www.k-lach.net/style/style_135.htm

You could compare that with whatever is stock on the E60 550 I guess?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Dumb question alert!

Will Style 135's (E60 M5) work on my E60 550i? I saw a set on ebay, which were way over priced, but they were powder coated black and I think with my black car will look absolutely fantastic. I posted an ad in our market place, but figured once taxes come back I will treat myself to a nice set of rims for the summer.

They aren't style 135, they're 166:

http://www.k-lach.net/style/style_166.htm

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Stealth Like posted:

They aren't style 135, they're 166:

http://www.k-lach.net/style/style_166.htm

Crap. I wonder what I was looking at beforehand. Either way, 166's should work right?

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
E46 search continues!

I found a 2003 ZHP with 83K miles but asking around $15k maybe $14k. Cooling system, valve cover gasket, fuel pump, belts and so on. Owner is a car enthusiast.

I found a 2005 ZHP with 93K miles but has the VANOS rattle. Has heated seats. Asking $14k but could talk him down due to VANOS. Other thing about it is the right passenger mirror doesn't work. Owner doesn't know much about the car except oil changes.

Which one would you guys go for? I'm leaning on the 2003 but I'm not sure if his price is reasonable?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

For the first car when you say cooling system, VCG, etc do you mean that's already been done or it needs it? They both have similar milage... while 2 years newer is significant in my opinion I'd go for one that has better history and had some proactive maintenance done for you. At that milage VCG, cooling, and probably suspension work soon are the big ones that will be nice to have already taken care of.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
So this went back today:

and now I drive this: :negative:

At least it was cheaper than a set of tyres for the BMW :smug:

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2012

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

moondabor posted:

E46 search continues!

I found a 2003 ZHP with 83K miles but asking around $15k maybe $14k. Cooling system, valve cover gasket, fuel pump, belts and so on. Owner is a car enthusiast.

This is exactly my car now. 2003 (Sedan and 6 speed is the only configuration) with 82k. In the last 2 years I replaced all the stuff you listed and some other little things. I'd call myself an enthusiast for sure.

I bought my car for $14.5 exactly 2 years ago in SoCal. If I were to sell it today I'd be content with $12-13k. Though I did just put on ~$1000 worth of PS2s though. So maybe $13k.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
My little brother is looking into getting a 2004 Z4. He's got his eye on one with the 3.0L engine. Anything in particular he should be wary about?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

moondabor posted:

E46 search continues!

I found a 2005 ZHP with 93K miles but has the VANOS rattle. Has heated seats. Asking $14k but could talk him down due to VANOS. Other thing about it is the right passenger mirror doesn't work. Owner doesn't know much about the car except oil changes.

Which one would you guys go for? I'm leaning on the 2003 but I'm not sure if his price is reasonable?

Why pay so much for the ZHP? You can turn a 330i w/ premium & sport into a ZHP for $4k, and clean 2003-2005 330i's are going for $9-10k. For $15k you are in the well-maintained e39 M5 or higher-mileage e46 M3 range.

I loved my e46 330i, and the layout of the interior. It was Alpine White w/ black interior & aluminum trim. I didn't think I could find another car that was that awesome. I bought an 02 M5 with black leather & aluminum trim and am in love with it.

IMO the ZHP is overrated and overpriced. If you're that concerned with the extra 10 hp you get from the cams, save the $4k+ you spend on a ZHP and buy a set of Schrick 264/248s or something.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Nait Sirhc posted:

Why pay so much for the ZHP? You can turn a 330i w/ premium & sport into a ZHP for $4k, and clean 2003-2005 330i's are going for $9-10k. For $15k you are in the well-maintained e39 M5 or higher-mileage e46 M3 range.

I loved my e46 330i, and the layout of the interior. It was Alpine White w/ black interior & aluminum trim. I didn't think I could find another car that was that awesome. I bought an 02 M5 with black leather & aluminum trim and am in love with it.

IMO the ZHP is overrated and overpriced. If you're that concerned with the extra 10 hp you get from the cams, save the $4k+ you spend on a ZHP and buy a set of Schrick 264/248s or something.

Converting a regular 330i w/ Premium package to a ZHP is a lot of trouble. Off the top of my head, this conversion includes the following:

Body Work (Front back and side suspension)
Rims
Suspension Work (just front control arms)
Interior work (black inside lining, small little details here and there)
Exhaust work
Cams
Differential (its not an LSD, but there is a BMW Performance Differential attached to it)

At that point, the hassle of converting it is a bitch. I bought a ZHP mostly because I've loved how it looks for a long time. I also like the current 335i with the performance package, so I guess I really like the plastic rear bumper addon.

That being said, I did find this sweet little thing just now:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2807179619.html

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Nait Sirhc posted:

THIS

But instead buy a LSD

...............I don't get all the fuss about ZHP's either, even the best kept 2006 specimen is going to need a suspension refresh by now anyway and 10 hp is nothing and the alcantara crap will all be dropping boogers everywhere. The 3.07 diff is nothing special really either. I have a 3.15 I am going to have installed soon (I want an LSD but can't justify the $2k for it/installation)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apparently the M diesel rumors were confirmed recently: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/25/bmw-m-goes-diesel-introduces-m550d-x5-m50d-x6-m50d/

M550d (sedan and touring)
X5 M50d
X6 M50d

All 3.0L I6 tri-turbo diesel, all AWD, all 8 speed auto. 376 HP, 545 lb-ft.

Unfortunately as usual, the US gets screwed.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5b5ZPh2N4

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 27, 2012

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
I'm indifferent on the ZHPs but these are the 330i/Ci that are popping up in the LA/OC area matching my criteria. I'm looking for 03/04/05 330i or 330Ci w/ a 6MT, preferred black interior, and lowish miles. I found a nice 330Ci asking for $13.5k with about 73k miles on it. It sits about KBB price and has service records for major stuff. Going to check it out this weekend.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
New 3 series MPG figures released:

328i 8-speed auto: 24 city / 36 highway.
335i 8-speed auto: 23 city /33 highway.

328i Manual: 23 city / 34 highway.
335i Manual: 20 city / 30 highway.

That new trasmission does wonders. And the new 4 cylinder engine seems great.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyamn motha fuckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. 36 MPG is the shiznits.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol. That is actually the best thing I've seen all day.

Remind me again why BMW wanted to move into 4 cylinder engines?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitr0 posted:

Remind me again why BMW wanted to move into 4 cylinder engines?

Cheaper and apparently 3-4 MPG highway. I'm a pretty big fanboy of inline sixes, but the new 328i is sure something I want to drive. The turbo four has plenty of power and from what I've seen can take some upgrades, so it is mighty interesting.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

rawrr posted:

@Nitr0 - since you also seem to be in the Vancouver area, do you have an independent mechanic you can recommend? I've read good things about Nixon, but I'm still looking around.

Nixon Automotive in burnaby is great. Had my water pump done there just a few days ago. Car is running normal again and it was within a day service.

wolrah posted:

Cheaper and apparently 3-4 MPG highway. I'm a pretty big fanboy of inline sixes, but the new 328i is sure something I want to drive. The turbo four has plenty of power and from what I've seen can take some upgrades, so it is mighty interesting.

I can get 7.6L/100KM (31mpg) on the highway in my 135i. Was it really that bad for the older generation <328i models?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The reduced horsepower/displacement doesn't really lower the fuel usage much if at all IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

rscott posted:

The reduced horsepower/displacement doesn't really lower the fuel usage much if at all IIRC.
Yea dude, but the turbo adds a poo poo ton of head room for upgrades, get your poo poo together motha fuckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.