Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Schatten posted:

Q - Anyone out there do any fretjobs? I need some frets replaced, and maybe a nut. It's an old Jazz Bass Special that I picked up cheap - nothing too special. I lack time, patience, and can ship the neck out.

Are you sure they need to be replaced? Levelling and re-crowning seems to be pretty basic once you have the appropriate tools (which should cost no more than a fret job from a reputable tech). Replacing a nut is trivial.

Full disclosure: I've not done any fretwork myself but I've been looking into it heavily in preparation for a fret dress on my old Hohner headless. It seems like a pretty useful skill to have. I'm sure someone more qualified than me can chime in though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

In the future: Hang on a sec... I don't have a pickup selector, I gotta boot up my old computer so I can load some bass profile.

One of the dumbest ideas around. Next thing they'll do, avoid software conflicts, have you log into some website to change it - you know, licensing or some crap, you'll be forced to load adobe with Norton 2018. Then come... viruses. Yes, you will have a virus, it is called Ernie Sterling Ball.

Well, it does have 5 factory presets stored onto it from the start.

Edit: And I guarantee they're the only 5 usable sounds you'll be able to get out of the thing.

All on
Outer coils tapped
Inner coils tapped
Full Bridge
Full Neck

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2012

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Scarf posted:

Well, it does have 5 factory presets stored onto it from the start.

Edit: And I guarantee they're the only 5 usable sounds you'll be able to get out of the thing.

All on
Outer coils tapped
Inner coils tapped
Full Bridge
Full Neck

No, but don't you see... Having a fancy computer UI will totally make out-of-phase pickup options worthwhile... this time... for sure...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just want to point out he said web app, so you might need an internet connection as well! Or maybe there's a web server in the bass, hell why not

'Right on'

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

Just want to point out he said web app, so you might need an internet connection as well! Or maybe there's a web server in the bass, hell why not

'Right on'

At Summer NAMM they'll introduce the Game Changer Hot Spot edition. It'll function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for all of your mobile devices!

Seriously though, I kind of like the recent trend of making stuff user-programmable/customizable. I think it works well for things like MarkBass's new line of pedals like the Super Synth. You can get an INCREDIBLY wide variety of USABLE sounds by changing the frequency, resonance, etc. etc., But for an actual instrument where all you're working with is magnets and their configuration? Yeah, completely dumb.

It's along the same lines as their truss-rod wheel in my mind. I heard some interview about it and Sterling said "Why would you ever want to give a musician a wrench? That's just asking for trouble." Really? So making it to where you can shove a WIDE ASSORTMENT of items into an easily accessible wheel to alter the truss-rod and possibly cause irreversible damage to the neck isn't asking for trouble?

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 25, 2012

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

It's along the same lines as their truss-rod wheel in my mind. I heard some interview about it and Sterling said "Why would you ever want to give a musician a wrench? That's just asking for trouble." Really? So making it to where you can shove a WIDE ASSORTMENT of items into an easily accessible wheel to alter the truss-rod and possibly cause irreversible damage to the neck isn't asking for trouble?

There's not a single instrument I own that hasn't seen the business end of a wrench/soldering iron/whatever at least a couple times. Also the truss rod wheel is the one thing I absolutely hate about my Stingray.

In other news I came real close to snagging an '03 4003 for an even $1k on craigslist yesterday. Got to the guy pretty much right after the ad was posted, but couldn't meet him last night and somebody else could. Ugh, coming so close almost makes me willing to just spend a couple hundred more and finally get one. I've been waiting for a cheap-ish Ric for so long.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I thought people really like the truss rod wheel. Doesn't Sadowsky use those too?

Bill Posters posted:

At least it doesn't look like a toilet seat. I don't mind the Tele styling, although the neck dive is probably pretty bad.

I can't really see anything that it does that can't be done by your average boutique with half a dozen switches and knobs. Just as many useless sounds alongside the one or two that you like. The difference being you can program your settings with a computer and recall them later with a flick of a switch. The glaring unasked question is why.

They should reissue the Sabre. That had nearly as many options without the (undoubtedly) overpriced computer chip bullshit.

Did the Sabre have coil-tapping?

Those dual pickup EB/MM Sterlings look really cool. I haven't gotten to play one, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

I thought people really like the truss rod wheel. Doesn't Sadowsky use those too?

Did the Sabre have coil-tapping?

Those dual pickup EB/MM Sterlings look really cool. I haven't gotten to play one, though.

The EBMM Sterling, or the Sterling by EBMM Sterling? :shepface:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

Seriously though, I kind of like the recent trend of making stuff user-programmable/customizable. I think it works well for things like MarkBass's new line of pedals like the Super Synth. You can get an INCREDIBLY wide variety of USABLE sounds by changing the frequency, resonance, etc. etc., But for an actual instrument where all you're working with is magnets and their configuration? Yeah, completely dumb.

I've never really played around with pickups much, so I get the idea of being able to basically rewire them in different configurations, I just don't know if it'll make a huge amount of difference. Maybe it works great and gives you all kinds of tones in one instrument, or maybe they had an idea and thought 'fill that niche quick!'

It would be fun to play around with though. Maybe the separate pickups thing would be good for slap? One pickup for the slaps, another for the pops. Although watching that video you might end up with slups and pips

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

Although watching that video you might end up with slups and pips

Yeah, that's typically what it sounds like when pickups are out of phase.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I still don't know why they didn't just make a preset bank so you can store different preamp settings. I imagine that would be much more useful for bassists. But I guess they developed it for guitar and then decided to just throw it in a bass maybe?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

Yeah, that's typically what it sounds like when pickups are out of phase.

I've never tried out of phase bass pickups, it sounds like a terrible idea, but my guitar(ASAT Special) sounds phenomenal when put out of phase and through a fuzz pedal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FancyMike posted:

I've never tried out of phase bass pickups, it sounds like a terrible idea, but my guitar(ASAT Special) sounds phenomenal when put out of phase and through a fuzz pedal.

See thats the thing. Out of phase can sound good on a guitar, because it really thins out the tone, kind of like a Strat. That's just a terrible idea on bass imo and I've yet to hear a good example of it. But my ears are open if anyone has examples that sound good...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I liked the truss rod wheel. Then again, the neck on my old Sterling twisted so badly that I had to replace it, so...

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Scarf posted:

See thats the thing. Out of phase can sound good on a guitar, because it really thins out the tone, kind of like a Strat. That's just a terrible idea on bass imo and I've yet to hear a good example of it. But my ears are open if anyone has examples that sound good...

Aren't Jazz pickups out of phase? A cursory look on Wikipedia says they are.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It just cracks me up how EBMM will do a million crazy unwanted things (toilet bass, computer bass, three pickup pointy bass, sterling sub by sterling ebmm sterling) before they'll even consider making a bass with two J pickups.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rifter17 posted:

Aren't Jazz pickups out of phase? A cursory look on Wikipedia says they are.

It's something to do with only being at certain frequencies I believe. I could be wrong on that though.

Did a little reading on the whole jazz bass out of phase thing. The difference with the jazz bass is that, when you have them both cranked to full, they basically become ONE humbucking pickup. You have to think of them as 2 coils of one humbucking pickup. Even a P-bass's split-coil is wired out of phase, all humbuckers are. The reason that there isn't any noticeable tone-loss like in that EBMM video is that you're dealing with just ONE pickup.

In short, when you have two COILS out of phase with each other, you get a single humbucker that'll sound normal. But if you have two separate humbuckers out of phase with each other, or a humbucker plus another pickup out of phase, that's when it'll sound thin and nasally.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it at the moment.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It just cracks me up how EBMM will do a million crazy unwanted things (toilet bass, computer bass, three pickup pointy bass, sterling sub by sterling ebmm sterling) before they'll even consider making a bass with two J pickups.

It's because Sterling is trying his damnedest to distance himself from Leo Fender, even though pretty much everything he produces is based on Leo's designs.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 26, 2012

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The nasal tone doesn't necessarily have to do with humbuckers + another pickup out of phase. You're looking at where the pickup is sampling the string vibration versus where an out of phase pickup is sampling. I think since humbuckers have larger apertures, then they sample larger areas and therefore pickup lower frequencies (higher frequencies cancel themselves out by being picked up) and running two out of phase cause greater phase cancellations. But I imagine if you have single coils with a large aperture then you'd have similar tone.

Here's a site that demonstrates pickup response in terms of position and aperture. That'll give an idea of the affect of phase cancellation and such.

On that note, there's nothing stopping them from splitting both of the humbuckers and running the outermost coils out of phase to attempt to recreate the Jazz with both pickups cranked. And if you can actually split it across strings, then you can make a quick P-bass.

I guess it could be more useful than the video suggested. I like that Music Man is at least trying. In my opinion, they're doing way more than Fender who is now just putting pickups all over the place.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rifter17 posted:

I guess it could be more useful than the video suggested. I like that Music Man is at least trying. In my opinion, they're doing way more than Fender who is now just putting pickups all over the place.

You mean Fender is offering something other than new finishes?! :wth:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Agh, indecision is killing me! As I mentioned a few posts earlier, I was thinking about getting an Ampeg SVT-7 Pro. Reason behind it is to get as close to the warm tubey goodness as possible on a tight budget. Now, if I got the money to spare I would go straight for an Ampeg SVT CL or VR but 1600 euros is just too drat much (I can get the SVT-7 and the cab at that price alone). On the other hand, it feels stupid to settle for something other than the real thing I'm actually lusting for - especially since 750 euros for my current choice of amp is still quite a lot of money. I've been thinking about putting up a wanted ad on a big Finnish used gear site and offer around 1000 euros for an actual tube amp. There's actually one Marshall VBA 400 there for 1200 euros which is a bargain.

As tempting the latter option sounds, I'm not sure if I'm hunting after some tube magic I wouldn't actually even notice when playing with a live band. An actual SVT would weigh a lot more than the hybrid and the tubes may come costy in the long run. Also, if I buy the SVT-7 Pro new, I get a full 3-year warranty. If I pay 1000 euros for used gear, I may end up paying for repairs after a couple of months.

I just don't know! Maybe I will be content with the hybrid amp and stop fantasizing about the great big difference a set of tubes make. The chances are that if I could test the two side by side without knowing which amp is tube and which is hybrid, I wouldn't even know (at least if not driven to their limits).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

These Loving Eyes posted:

Agh, indecision is killing me!
There have been many rave reviews on the STV7 over at Talkbass. But I, like you, would love to get an SVT CL or VR and be done with it. It is the staple of pretty much all things bass. However, the 80lb head is not something I want to lug around.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

squuuueeeeeeee

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

squuuueeeeeeee

I really like that body-shape. A lot...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stupid NAMM slowing down my pickups. :argh:

It's going to look so dope when he puts the oil finish on it. Unf.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

tube amp but no money

You should look just across to border to your swedish neighbours.
EBS makes the Classic 450 that sounds about as tubey as you can get without actual tubes. Seriously, you should check it out sometimes, i imagine EBS amps are not hard to find in your musicshops?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

squuuueeeeeeee

Love the spalted maple!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stupid NAMM slowing down my pickups. :argh:

It's going to look so dope when he puts the oil finish on it. Unf.

What electronics are going in it?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

bionictom posted:

You should look just across to border to your swedish neighbours.
EBS makes the Classic 450 that sounds about as tubey as you can get without actual tubes. Seriously, you should check it out sometimes, i imagine EBS amps are not hard to find in your musicshops?

If I'm not going full tube, I'll go with the SVT-7. I posted a wanted ad just a couple of minutes ago for the VR and CL so I'll just see how that goes first. I've yet to test an EBS product myself, but from the few sound clips I've listened I'm not really digging their struggle for transparency thing. I don't mind if my tone is colored by the amp as long as it sounds good. V:shobon:V

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

What electronics are going in it?

Nordstrand split-coil J + quad-coil MM, Aguilar OBP3 w/ passive tone & coil tap

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Deuce, have you really been waiting on this bass for 2 years? I remember seeing you posting about getting a Stambaugh around the time I registered. Anddd if I'm not mistaken this won't be your first from him will it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I submitted the deposit for this one last April, and it's my third. The first one took about a year and a half due to a huge backlog at the painter he uses + delays getting the custom pickups from Nordstrand. The second one and this one both clock in at about 10 months to build. Nordstrand has gotten faster, and I went with oil finishes he didn't have to send out.

edit: #1 (July 2007) and #2 (January 2009)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I submitted the deposit for this one last April, and it's my third. The first one took about a year and a half due to a huge backlog at the painter he uses + delays getting the custom pickups from Nordstrand. The second one and this one both clock in at about 10 months to build. Nordstrand has gotten faster, and I went with oil finishes he didn't have to send out.

edit: #1 (July 2007) and #2 (January 2009)

STAMBAAAAAAAAUGH! :argh:

Do you have any clips of these basses?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Best example would be on my brother's record here: http://open.spotify.com/artist/6lC9u5LypCMX4E09i5rFxy or just download it from the website: http://www.mrsleeves.com

All You Need To Do, Marmots, Totipotent, Demons - White bass
Sad - Fretless, but I was trying to emulate an upright with it so it's 100% piezo.

This was all recorded straight into my Duet, no magic juju or anything.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

The bad news: I am shuffling my schedule around so I can focus on my senior recital rather than my independent study in Engineering this semester.

Good news: That money I was gonna spend on an audio interface just turned into money for a good used P-bass.

THE HUNT IS ON.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Best example would be on my brother's record here: http://open.spotify.com/artist/6lC9u5LypCMX4E09i5rFxy or just download it from the website: http://www.mrsleeves.com

Sad - Fretless, but I was trying to emulate an upright with it so it's 100% piezo.

I dig it! Not just the basses but the recordings as a whole.

By the by, how difficult is it to get a piezo installed on a bass after the fact? I'm seriously considering getting Lakland to slap a fretless neck on my hollowbody and see about a piezo system... Not sure if the latter would be possible considering Lakland's proprietary bridge.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 27, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's easy if you have a bridge that has piezo saddles available or can swap to a piezo bridge.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

Stongpa
Jan 14, 2012

"I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And kills fear in the wise."

~ Nagarjuna

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Great sound! Thanks for the link!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

If I'm not going full tube, I'll go with the SVT-7. I posted a wanted ad just a couple of minutes ago for the VR and CL so I'll just see how that goes first. I've yet to test an EBS product myself, but from the few sound clips I've listened I'm not really digging their struggle for transparency thing. I don't mind if my tone is colored by the amp as long as it sounds good. V:shobon:V

Hopefully solved my dilemma by ordering a Traynor YBA300 along with an Ampeg SVT-410HE. The goods will probably arrive some time next week but I may not be able to test them out until the week after that. Those goddamn 12 power tubes better not fail me in the next five years or so! Anyways, I'm really excited to try this "budget-priced" 300 watt full-tube head out!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Hopefully solved my dilemma by ordering a Traynor YBA300 along with an Ampeg SVT-410HE. The goods will probably arrive some time next week but I may not be able to test them out until the week after that. Those goddamn 12 power tubes better not fail me in the next five years or so! Anyways, I'm really excited to try this "budget-priced" 300 watt full-tube head out!

Is that really budget priced? Its only a couple hundred less than a SVT. Based on the praise I've seen for the YBA200 it should be good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

DrChu posted:

Is that really budget priced? Its only a couple hundred less than a SVT. Based on the praise I've seen for the YBA200 it should be good though.

I don't know exactly why but both YBA200-2 and YBA300 are relatively low priced here in Europe whereas e.g. Ampeg and Orange tube heads cost almost twice or more new. I paid 990 euros for my Traynor, and the same webshop had SVT CL for sale at 1799 euros (never to mention SVT VR whose price jumped up from 1666 euros to 2139 which is ridiculous). Sometimes I envy guitarists because they have a huge selection of great-sounding full tube heads under a grand. Oh well, if this Traynor does what I hope it does, I don't have to worry about tube heads now more. :)