Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you have an idea of when you plan to update woofi? Its getting increasingly flaky for me these days, not checking location or appearing to be in some kind of idle state - not disabled, just never seems to check or show a timeframe for checks.

A wipe & reinstall fixed it for a week but occasionally I'll pick my phone up after bring at home for an hour &.I'll be on 4g. Going into the app via notification it just said click to configure. Checking the map shows me within the 1k radius I set for the location but it never gets the hint & I have to connect manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Does anyone know of a multiple timers app that could do the following automatically (or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy Tasker?):
Time 30 seconds, and vibrate/beep.
After the first beep, time another minute and beep again.
Then finally, beep again after another minute and a half.

(I'm looking for a way to sperg out on my coffee making, without staring at a stopwatch or fiddling with countdown timers or alarms).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Since you're able to enable GPS, you must be using the beta. It's certainly possible there's a bug in there that prevents it from using GPS data that other apps have retrieved (like Maps).

I know this works correctly in the market version. I'll see if I can reproduce that behavior tomorrow...

One thing I just thought of is that I don't think I have the beta set up so that it will update where it thinks you are just because another app got some GPS data (off hand I don't think there is any way for woofi to know if another app got GPS data without explicitly checking you location...which is what woofi tries to avoid doing as much as possible since it uses more battery life). It won't update where it thinks you are until the time it shows in the notification until the next check, or until you open the app to the main screen.

I remember asking about this a whole back, and you said that woofi uses the latest gotten location data, regardless of source. meaning that if I popped into maps, that updated fix it's now available.

Or am I just confused ?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

Ehh, I mainly just wanted to try something different. I have Beautiful right now and I am just kind of bored with it. I probably just need to play around with some more skins. I like the 1weather widget but the app itself seems to clunky for my tastes.
The only thing I really dislike about BW is the fact that the only way to get the location displayed on the screen is to use the Super Clock. You can use the individual weather widgets but they'll just show the current temperature or that plus the high and low. I use the BW Live Wallpaper so I don't need the condition, just the temperature and location. I suppose I could always use the Make Your Own Widget widget, but it always seemed like too much effort for too little return.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Roundboy posted:

I remember asking about this a whole back, and you said that woofi uses the latest gotten location data, regardless of source. meaning that if I popped into maps, that updated fix it's now available.

Or am I just confused ?

From what I understand it does use the latest data. But from my use it doesn't update that data in the notification until it does it's next check, which if it's in a certain acceptable timeframe, it will just use the data that another app retrieved.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Death of Rats posted:

Does anyone know of a multiple timers app that could do the following automatically (or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy Tasker?):
Time 30 seconds, and vibrate/beep.
After the first beep, time another minute and beep again.
Then finally, beep again after another minute and a half.

(I'm looking for a way to sperg out on my coffee making, without staring at a stopwatch or fiddling with countdown timers or alarms).

sounds like you want Kitchen Timer, which will do three different timers at once.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Trypsin posted:

sounds like you want Kitchen Timer, which will do three different timers at once.

Oh hey, that will be nice for doing steaks on the stovetop (where I want X time on each side and don't want to touch a screen halfway through). Thank you for this.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Trypsin posted:

I've been using this for quite a while, it's an awesome app. I could be wrong but I think it's goon developed.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is anyone using quickpic to upload videos ? i have a few videos that i am long pressing in quickpic to share via Youtube. Some videos will only transfer via wifi because of size. But if i transfer them using the youtube app explicitly, i can use the option to upload via any network.

is this a quickpic restriction, or some other option in the 'share' api ?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm having a weird issue with Google Music. I bought an album on the market, and it shows up and plays fine when I use Google Music through a browser on my computer. However when I try to play it on my phone, one of the tracks cuts off after about 40 seconds. The rest of the songs are fine, but I've had this happen once or twice before where it will only play 30 seconds of a song or will start playing halfway through a song.

Anyone else having similar issues?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So I use and like aCar for tracking car related expenses. I absolutely loathe his copy protection bullshit (Pro via paypal, unregistering and reregistering devices). Between all the phone changing and root fuckery I do it's a pain in the rear end to get it all set up and going again.

Is there another comparable app I should be looking at? Most everything I've glanced through looks like rear end.

If you're looking at doing strictly fuel, I'd recommend Fuelly (https://www.fuelly.com).

It's a web-based MPG calculator, with a mobile interface (http://m.fuelly.com). I used to use aCar as well, but it was loving annoying. Fuelly is cool though.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Anybody know of an app that will do word mapping in messaging? Either an installer that works with the built in messaging app or a new messaging app would do. It needs to be customizable so you can type shortcuts like gm and have them auto correct to good morning, that sort of thing.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

brc64 posted:

I'm not quite sure the best place to put this, but does anybody know if there's any way to force an HTML file to open in Browser instead of HTML Viewer? HTML Viewer doesn't support JavaScript or have access to the internet (for legitimate security reasons)

I can use file:///sdcard/downloads/page.htm in the browser, but I'm looking for a way to automate this, preferably by just opening the file itself.

How about creating a bookmark shortcut?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

sharktamer posted:

How about creating a bookmark shortcut?

Can you open a folder in the browser? It sounded like his problem is trying to open multiple files rather than a specific one, but if you could bookmark a folder that'd probably work great.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

THF13 posted:

This thread isn't being remade like the device thread just was anytime soon is it?
Feel free to create a new OP. I've had a lot suddenly on my plate, and it's left me almost no time to spend updating this thread.
Either 900ftjesus or I will close the thread once you open up a new one, and feel free to take anything you'd like from my OP.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has anyone else been having a weird issue with WidgetLocker? Every time I reboot my phone, the lockscreen widgets don't load; I just get these placeholders that say "Tap to restore widget" and I have to delete and redo all my widgets. It just seemed to start recently.

Have you moved the widgets to the SD card? That'll cause that to happen.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anyway to be notified with a particular app goes on sale?

edit: What the gently caress happened to the exfoliate app on the android market? It cleared out your facebook history... I used it, and I wanted to link my friend to it, but it's gone...

TLG James fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 26, 2012

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Nathan Explosion posted:

I'm looking for a speedometer app I used to have awhile back. I remember it just being called speedometer but I have no idea who the author was or anything beyond that.

It was a fairly simple speedometer app except it had a neat replay feature. By that I mean I could actually replay my entire trip on a map with speeds indicated and everything. There are a ton of speedometer apps, but I cant find that one or another that does replays.

If anybody knows what I had or something like it I'd be much obliged.

Try GPS essentials , it makes a track over a map. I dont remember if it records the speed variation along the track.

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Roundboy posted:

Or am I just confused ?

rotaryfun posted:

From what I understand it does use the latest data. But from my use it doesn't update that data in the notification until it does it's next check, which if it's in a certain acceptable timeframe, it will just use the data that another app retrieved.

rotaryfun is correct and is what I was trying to say in my post.

Woofi doesn't have any way to know that another app recently got GPS data without trying to get a location...which it only does during it's location/wifi checks.

In other words, the only way another app getting a GPS lock benefits woofi is if it gets a GPS lock within a short period of time of woofi doing a location/wifi check.

Maps or whatever GPS app doesn't go "hey woofi, wake up, I just got a GPS fix!".

Cakefool posted:

Do you have an idea of when you plan to update woofi? Its getting increasingly flaky for me these days, not checking location or appearing to be in some kind of idle state - not disabled, just never seems to check or show a timeframe for checks.

A wipe & reinstall fixed it for a week but occasionally I'll pick my phone up after bring at home for an hour &.I'll be on 4g. Going into the app via notification it just said click to configure. Checking the map shows me within the 1k radius I set for the location but it never gets the hint & I have to connect manually.

Are you running the beta version?

I hope to push out that beta to the market soon. I've been slammed with other work that pays better recently.

For anyone who is curious, I make less than $2 a month off of the ads in the app, and I've got around $300 from upgrades to the paid version. Please note that I'm not complaining. I wrote woofi to learn Android app development and to try out some ideas I had.

Woofi needs some UI work to make it easier for non-techies to figure out WTF and it still needs some backend work on reliable location checking. I find it quite tricky because I've done everything I can to avoid long-running services or to avoid waking the phone up unnecessarily. Woofi relies quite heavily on setting alarms to wake it up to do location checks. Each time it wakes up, in addition to checking location, it figures out what time to set the next alarm for. If Android doesn't kick off that alarm for some reason, or if there's any bug in woofi that causes it to fail, well we're hosed because it doesn't set the next alarm which means woofi never runs a check again unless the phone is rebooted or you open the app.

The beta I went ahead and put in a watchdog repeating alarm that doesn't rely on woofi setting it to run again each time it runs a check. This repeating alarm just runs every 15 minutes to make sure the main locatin/wifi alarm is set to run sometime in the future. I had avoided this in the past just because it seemed like it shouldn't be necessary and was just waking up the phone unnecessarily. However, after using the beta for awhile the watchdog alarm doesn't seem to cause any noticeable increase in battery usage. Probably because it hardly does any work...just checks to make sure the main alarm is set and then goes back to sleep.

I'll get to this stuff as soon as I have some good chunks of free time, but I'd expect that to be a couple of months still...

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anybody using Go Launcher on the nexus? It's probably obvious, but I can't seem to figure out how to get to Go Launcher settings since there's no settings button.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Drifter287 posted:

Anybody using Go Launcher on the nexus? It's probably obvious, but I can't seem to figure out how to get to Go Launcher settings since there's no settings button.

Menu > Settings or Preferences or something?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Like I said, obvious. Didn't notice the little settings button next to the recent apps key.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Demitri Omni posted:

Is there an accepted 'best app' for shuffling/randomizing your ringtones? I used both ShuffleTone and one other (the name escapes me), but each of them stopped working and was never updated to an extent that they started again (my notifications were being set to random media files stored on my phone, which I guess is as randomized as it gets). I'm just wondering if the free ones are best, or if there's one that is worth paying for. Droid X2, not rooted, in case there's compatibility issues involved with this sort of thing.

Sorry for quoting myself, but I think my question got lost at the end of the page. It's something I've been wanting to find for a while, but I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations before just downloading everything there is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thermopyle posted:

Are you running the beta version?

Not yet but I'll get that in today, the 'lost alarm' does sound like my problem.

Thanks for the work btw, I figured you weren't rolling in it from ads or paid apps so any further development is greatly appreciated.

Now I'm wondering what I've installed that could be interfering with the alarms - I got rid of juice defender...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Any consensus on the best calendar app? The one that comes with the Galaxy S 2 is awful, especially the widgets.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trump posted:

Any consensus on the best calendar app? The one that comes with the Galaxy S 2 is awful, especially the widgets.
The AOSP stock Calendar works for me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Trump posted:

I like Touch Calendar! You can pinch to zoom and it has a decent widget I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Business Calendar isn't too bad, either.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Cakefool posted:

Now I'm wondering what I've installed that could be interfering with the alarms - I got rid of juice defender...

I think it's just android. I've had the problem across multiple phones and multiple stock and custom ROMs. The watchdog alarm in the beta that got added has made woofi 100% stable for me for quite some time now.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 26, 2012

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I have heard of an app that can reboot a phone nightly but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have the name of it?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Tasker or Titanium Backup can do that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
To piggyback off of that a little, I don't know if it's a hardware thing or what, but I tried to set up an auto-restart for my phone in Tasker a little while back on my G2/Desire Z, and it said that it wasn't allowed. Is this something that's specific to the phone, or is it because I'm using stock firmware?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Splizwarf posted:

Tasker or Titanium Backup can do that.

Yeah I have Titanium and was looking in the scheduler thing but didn't see it in there. Anybody point me in the right direction?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
At the bottom of the popup menu for creating/editing a scheduled task, there's "When finished:" and a box that by default says "Do nothing". Tap that box and select "Reboot the device" instead.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
For you goons out there with Steam accounts, the new Steam app is in a closed beta. Installing and attempting a login puts you on the beta list.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

FlyingCheese posted:

For you goons out there with Steam accounts, the new Steam app is in a closed beta. Installing and attempting a login puts you on the beta list.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community

Bit of a cocktease really.

Apart from the chat functionality, I can see this app being not as good as other offerings like staticon and steam for android.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

sharktamer posted:

Bit of a cocktease really.

Apart from the chat functionality, I can see this app being not as good as other offerings like staticon and steam for android.

I can only assume this is the first step in having android games in steam. Cuz we really need another app market.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Google announces the death of the menu button, long live the action bar

So what do the app developers here think of this? It can probably be ignored for quite some time, especially while ICS builds up its adoption.

I do like the action bar though, the app menus tend to get really cluttered.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I think the real danger of a Steam app is buying PC games from the toilet, anywhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sharktamer posted:

So what do the app developers here think of this? It can probably be ignored for quite some time, especially while ICS builds up its adoption.
I'm not an app developer, but I used to be a developer in general and I think it's hilariously stupid in the same way that Sony's special names for completely mundane features are stupid. My, am I ever impressed, you call the menu bar the action bar now! What a great improvement. I could swear it looks the same, but it sure can't be, it's got a completely different name, after all.

• Locked thread