Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Well goddammit. Is there a button that forces it into SD mode or something? I messed with aspect ratio but zooming just gets rid of the black bars and makes the terrible quality more apparent. Swapping between 780 and 1080 didn't change anything.

I guess I can reboot the boxes, but they're both doing it and every other channel is fine. Hrm.

Stuff we recorded on it earlier is still proper HD too.

[edit] Hmm I did find this though: http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149359

Maybe it's not just me. That whole little block of channels in the early 600s is doing the same thing, actually. I just don't watch global much so I didn't notice :v:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Welp, spoke too soon. Another Shaw 'we will disconnect you' notice. WTH is up with their billing/account software? At Telus I worked vaguely with the RADIUS/CRIS system and there's no way this poo poo would fly with them, and that was over 15 years ago. It's easy; get their account the gently caress out of ours.

EDIT-aaaaand transferred out of IVR and hung up again. Why the gently caress do I bother?

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 9, 2012

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 26, 2013

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Migishu posted:

Yeah the Bell tech explained that to me. He was also quite confused when I said that the first tech didn't come out, even more so when all he had to do was get the bandrate updated to 16/1 profile and it all worked straight away.

I called Teksavvy about this and they said that it's possible the first tech didn't need to notify me of him working, which is kinda stupid because if there was an interruption of service without prior notification, my boss would've loving killed me.

Yeah, tech #1 (true-union Bell tech) does the dslam work and makes sure that it's working to your demark point on your building. In reality he just punches down the specific cable pair to a dslam port and never comes near your building since it's a point-to-point cable to your building demark.

Tech #2 (a 3rd party contractor that is hired by bell but claims to be from your ISP) does the work from the demark to wherever you want it and does the required filtering and cabling.

On the other hand, if you order from Bell directly (sympatico), tech #1 can do it all.

This stupid arrangement is brought to you because the Bell techs would come on site and then attempt to sell sympatico services to the end customer (classic "oh, you're getting ripped off by XYZ, you should go with Bell since it's our gear anyways" reasoning). Also the inside wiring/filtering was being done very cheaply/badly by some ISPs causing huge amount of onsite support calls ($$).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I currently have Telus ETTS Internet service in my apartment (in my old room-mate's name.)

He moved out and so I called to order the service in my name. I asked if they could just provision it on an account in my name. Nope, have to send out a tech.

The equipment is already installed and I have service at the moment, but they need to send a tech out to do ______________ before it's my account/service. :raise:

I'm 95% sure the tech is going to either

a) Show up, be like "oh look you already have equipment. nothing for me to do here! :haw:" or

b) Take the perfectly good (and superior) equipment out and replace it with their newer shittier gear because ______________.

So I get to be on call Thursday ready to head over to my apartment at 30 minutes notice because they couldn't give me any specific time window the tech will be coming.

I've always been (and still am) happy with Telus' service, but this incident makes me :ughh:

edit: Bonus points if the tech brings new equipment and leaves the old stuff, which would bump up my 'Telus poo poo I don't use' collection to 2 wireless routers, an HDPVR and a digital box.

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 20, 2012

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

less than three posted:

I currently have Telus ETTS Internet service in my apartment (in my old room-mate's name.)

He moved out and so I called to order the service in my name. I asked if they could just provision it on an account in my name. Nope, have to send out a tech.

The equipment is already installed and I have service at the moment, but they need to send a tech out to do ______________ before it's my account/service. :raise:

a) Show up, be like "oh look you already have equipment. nothing for me to do here! :haw:" or

b) Take the perfectly good (and superior) equipment out and replace it with their newer shittier gear because ______________.

So I get to be on call Thursday ready to head over to my apartment at 30 minutes notice because they couldn't give me any specific time window the tech will be coming.

I've always been (and still am) happy with Telus' service, but this incident makes me :ughh:

edit: Bonus points if the tech brings new equipment and leaves the old stuff, which would bump up my 'Telus poo poo I don't use' collection to 2 wireless routers, an HDPVR and a digital box.

Can you sell it at all? Samart exists.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

StealthArcher posted:

Can you sell it at all? Samart exists.

Telus apparently keeps a DB of hardware serial numbers to know if the gear is owned by them or paid for. If it's theirs they're not supposed to activate it for you as far as I know. (But if you just tell them "but how was I supposed to know I got it on Craigslist!" they'll usually do it.)

Still it'd be selling their property which isn't a good idea.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

downloading stuff at 7+MB/s is pretty awesome, I still remember downloading songs on napster at 28Kb dialup so i could burn sweet mixes to show off at school. ah, nostalgia.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

I had this exact same problem with Telus and ETTS. The first time I agreed to them sending out a tech. It took a week and he went to Coquitlam instead of Vancouver. Then they wanted me to wait another week for another tech. I gave them a ton of poo poo and I told her to force it through the system without a tech because I knew it was just a provisioning thing.

She was hesitant but finally did it and amazingly enough at around midnight when their provisioning scripts ran, I had internet without a tech.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Frank Dillinger posted:

downloading stuff at 7+MB/s is pretty awesome, I still remember downloading songs on napster at 28Kb dialup so i could burn sweet mixes to show off at school. ah, nostalgia.

I was one of the first people in my city to get high speed DSL. I made some sweet cash in high school burning CDs.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Looks like rogers lost the ruling at the CRTC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/01/23/tech-crtc-rogers-throttling.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man, Telus is kind of annoying me, still having a weird latency spike that happens when I'm gaming somewhat late. Usually around 0030 - 0200 the latency will just spike and my Battlefield3 game locks the hell up.

I ping various sites and run speedtest and my latency is anywhere from 500ms to 1second for those sites.

Then I try to do the online telus support and by the time I can speak to something, the problem has gone away so they just lead me through either running speedtest or pinging mytelus.com and saying "welp it looks fine here" presumably while doing the "cuckoo" sign or whatever the local equivalent is. I found myself getting pretty frustrated by the guy's lack of interest in trying to root cause this problem and just parroting the usual "we only support links to telus servers" line or whatever. If I can't loving ping google I think that would be a problem!

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I removed my local network from the equation by logging into the telus modem/switch and pinging from there, same result. Usually the problem resolves itself within 10 minutes but I have had it go on for a half hour until I just gave up and went to bed. The connection was so bad that time I couldn't even get the online support page. Hadn't had this level of flaky bullshit with shaw for quite a few years so I'm kind of regretting the switch at this point..

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Try this program: http://www.d3tr.de/

It's a 3D traceroute program that you can leave running, and it will record any spikes or drops in the connection and show you exactly where they're happening. If it's always the same set of routers you have something else to throw at Telus and hope it sticks.

An update on my situation... channel 601 on Optik is STILL broadcasting in 4:3 after a month. Rebooting the system hasn't helped so I think my options are either hope someone notices that it's hosed in my area and fixes it, or sit through clueless tech support. I opted to find new channels to record everything on, but 601 is the only channel I have which has Conan in HD :smith:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2012

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Telus tech support is really bad, I find. It's either wait 45+ minutes on hold (I gave up) or do their crappy online support which aggravates me. I kept it civil but I was really wanting to just rage on the person, however I'm sure they're not at fault. At least Shaw would actually try some stuff with the modem, with my Telus experience it doesn't seem like they're doing anything where they check the line out to my house.

I wanted to also ask about when Turbo would be available in my area but I was so honked off I just wanted to end it (and paying an extra $15 a month for lovely service did not appeal to me at the time).

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/01/25/c...ilesyrup.com%29

Bye Kondrad

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
We'll have to wait and see if this turns into a good thing. He might be just as bad as Konrad but much more capable of hiding his decisions in technobabble bullshit when explaining them to politicians.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'll ask my old boss (she was deeply involved with CNOC at Teksavvy) if we have anything to worry about Leonard Katz.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

kuddles posted:

We'll have to wait and see if this turns into a good thing. He might be just as bad as Konrad but much more capable of hiding his decisions in technobabble bullshit when explaining them to politicians.

He's an old Rogers executive, so that's entirely possible. (And doesn't help the image of CRTC acting in the best interests of the Big Three over everyone else.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the "Rogers plant" factor is high here, but it's hard to guess how this pans out.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
That is quite possibly the worst haircut I've seen on a grown man.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pweller posted:

That is quite possibly the worst haircut I've seen on a grown man.

I raise you David Dees, insane political conspiracy theorist, children's illustrator, and holocaust "investigator" denier.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

less than three posted:

Trip report: the correct answer was

a) Show up, be like "oh look you already have equipment. nothing for me to do here! :haw:"

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 2, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I guess it's time to pack up this thread. Rogers commisioned a study that found that Canada's internet service is actually great!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Canada+Internet+among+best+world/6090546/story.html

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

The Dark One posted:

I guess it's time to pack up this thread. Rogers commisioned a study that found that Canada's internet service is actually great!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Canada+Internet+among+best+world/6090546/story.html

Well if that study looked at like the lower mainland only of bc i would say its accurate.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Sprawl posted:

Well if that study looked at like the lower mainland only of bc i would say its accurate.

(where Rogers doesn't even offer internet services)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Well that sure set ME straight!

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I looked over the billing for last month and discovered that Bell has charged us $80 of "utilisation fees" on top of the regular $45 internet fee. I have 100 GB (or supposed to) and there is no way in hell that I've downloaded that much and even if I did, gently caress you Bell.

Is there any way to over-turn this ridiculously bullshit fee?

edit: Last month was apparently another pleasant $180 bill from Bell.
edit2: The old man downgraded from unlimited bandwidth, to 100gb, to 60gb to now 40gb.

I am feeling murderous. Someone please help.

The Dark One posted:

And gently caress this. gently caress you Rogers and gently caress you Lemay Yates. gently caress everything.

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 23, 2012

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I looked over the billing for last month and discovered that Bell has charged us $80 of "utilisation fees" on top of the regular $45 internet fee. I have 100 GB (or supposed to) and there is no way in hell that I've downloaded that much and even if I did, gently caress you Bell.

Is there any way to over-turn this ridiculously bullshit fee?

And gently caress this. gently caress you Rogers and gently caress you Lemay Yates. gently caress everything.

Call them up and investigate.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Call them up and investigate.

I am convinced that there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them over-turn that decision. I already hear the "you have paid money a specific service and now you must pay an additional fee for additional use" pre-written line in my head.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Dark One posted:

"Canadians also have the second-least expensive average monthly broadband subscription rates in the G7, with a typical monthly fee of US$30.79 in Canada being only slightly more than the US$29.80 per month Internet service providers (ISPs) charge in Italy."

Considering that Rogers doesn't even offer a plan less than $35.99 (which doesn't include all their additional service fees), I find that tidbit kind of funny. Is there some place in Canada offering a $5 broadband plan to help come up with that average?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I am convinced that there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them over-turn that decision. I already hear the "you have paid money a specific service and now you must pay an additional fee for additional use" pre-written line in my head.

There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence for Bell routinely "accidentally" adding unwarranted charges or penalties to peoples' bills and then just reaping the benefits of people not having the patience/wherewithal/evidence to get them overturned. It's so scummy, a friend of mine just had that happen to her this past month... now they're switching to TekSavvy, though. :)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So I decided to pass from videotron to ditributel. I call them and make sure that everything is ok and schedule for a tech for the 23. Call one week before to make sure everything is all right when I received my new modem, confirm that tech will come. The day finally come, I call in the morning to make sure that the tech will come and guess what: there was no tech. So now they expect me to remove the security ring that videotron with a flat screw driver or a fork. Of course flabbergasted I asked for a technician, they were suppose to call me, but still nothing. I profoundly regret my decision because distributel failed me at every turned, they even made a mistake on my name right on the contract!!

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2012

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

They make billing errors like this all the time. You should be able to check your usage for previous months with them too (I think they have a tool to do this online). If what you're saying is correct your internet usage likely went up by over 50% and I imagine you would be aware of that sort of thing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

kuddles posted:

"Canadians also have the second-least expensive average monthly broadband subscription rates in the G7, with a typical monthly fee of US$30.79 in Canada being only slightly more than the US$29.80 per month Internet service providers (ISPs) charge in Italy."

Considering that Rogers doesn't even offer a plan less than $35.99 (which doesn't include all their additional service fees), I find that tidbit kind of funny. Is there some place in Canada offering a $5 broadband plan to help come up with that average?

What's loving hilarious about this is that every study I read while working at Teksavvy done independently said that Canada had was second only to New Zealand for first world countries with the worst Internet pricing.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lone Rogue posted:

What's loving hilarious about this is that every study I read while working at Teksavvy done independently said that Canada had was second only to New Zealand for first world countries with the worst Internet pricing.

I have a friend from Calgary who's staying in New Zealand for a year and this is absolutely true. All the public wifi points limit you to some ridiculously low amount like 50MB and the quotas for home internet are also low. At least you can potentially see what their issue is by looking at a map. Canada really doesn't have that excuse.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Vaginal Engineer posted:

They make billing errors like this all the time. You should be able to check your usage for previous months with them too (I think they have a tool to do this online). If what you're saying is correct your internet usage likely went up by over 50% and I imagine you would be aware of that sort of thing.

Yeah, mine went up almost 100% but I missed it for a month. They decided that my promotional pricing had ran out which was a 12 month deal after questioning why it happened 8 months into the plan they said it was from the beginning of the year. I got offered nothing in the deal besides the cancellation department's $5 off the full tier pricing.

I went from a $39/month per year contract to $69/month overnight.

Called Teksavvy and switched to a half the speed plan but its $51/month no contract, hopefully it works out better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I posted this in the YOS but it's probably more appropriate here. This is regarding the Vic Toews bill.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/mythbusting-mythbusting-our-response-vic-toews-email-canadians

Also, "How do we know if every one is a pedophile or not!?!? The only way to know is to go hunting for them. And if the police or who ever wants to come look in my house go a head the only thing they will find is a 12 gage for them creeps...."

I am not sure how people can just accept this??

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vintersorg posted:

I posted this in the YOS but it's probably more appropriate here. This is regarding the Vic Toews bill.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/mythbusting-mythbusting-our-response-vic-toews-email-canadians

Also, "How do we know if every one is a pedophile or not!?!? The only way to know is to go hunting for them. And if the police or who ever wants to come look in my house go a head the only thing they will find is a 12 gage for them creeps...."

I am not sure how people can just accept this??

Please don't bring this debate into here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone thinking of getting Telus Optik TV: only bother if you can get Turbo. It's really annoying being only able to watch or PVR one HD channel at a time. Definitely would be worth the extra bucks for the capacity.

It didn't bug me at first due to novelty but it's gotten more annoying especially on nights when there are a couple things on at the same time and I have to choose what to watch/record. :(

Sorry, just a minor vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Anyone thinking of getting Telus Optik TV: only bother if you can get Turbo. It's really annoying being only able to watch or PVR one HD channel at a time. Definitely would be worth the extra bucks for the capacity.

It didn't bug me at first due to novelty but it's gotten more annoying especially on nights when there are a couple things on at the same time and I have to choose what to watch/record. :(

Sorry, just a minor vent.
Yea now that the new shaw stuff is out, the gateway/exo stuff, they support 1080p on the device.
They also support 6 recording at a time and internet upto 100 mbit which is all superior to telus tech except for the smart phone app for remote recording.