Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Maybe Sony would do with Olympus what Konica did with Minolta - there, Konica bought out Minolta for its printer division, then sold the photography interest to Sony. Here, I could see Sony buy Olympus for the endoscope business, then offload the 4/3 system to Panasonic. Add in a clause where Panasonic is forced to use Sony-manufactured sensors, and Sony will be golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

As long as Sony is required to have decent codecs for video I am all for it, its pretty pointless without it. Other than for pictures.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

Maybe Sony would do with Olympus what Konica did with Minolta - there, Konica bought out Minolta for its printer division, then sold the photography interest to Sony. Here, I could see Sony buy Olympus for the endoscope business, then offload the 4/3 system to Panasonic. Add in a clause where Panasonic is forced to use Sony-manufactured sensors, and Sony will be golden.

No, you want Panasonic keep making sensor to promote competitions. Sony is already pretty lazy in making 1/1.7" sensors since nobody else make it in that size.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I was having a lot of fun with my Olympus XZ-1 for the last 6 months until it was stolen whilst I was in Rio. Lost all my pictures too, that's a lesson in taking lots of smaller memory cards with you. At least I avoided a knife in between the ribs.

Turns out when I get home, my grandpa has a camera he bought recently, but doesn't use much. Something about 'It doesn't have any zoom at all, he likes zoom'. Apparently I can have it if it's any use to me?

So a free X100 coming my way! Only thing is I don't really know much about photography, starting to learn about A and S modes through websites and youtube but really just dancing on the fringes. Can I learn these things with an X100 or am I just making life really hard for myself?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

I was having a lot of fun with my Olympus XZ-1 for the last 6 months until it was stolen whilst I was in Rio. Lost all my pictures too, that's a lesson in taking lots of smaller memory cards with you. At least I avoided a knife in between the ribs.

Turns out when I get home, my grandpa has a camera he bought recently, but doesn't use much. Something about 'It doesn't have any zoom at all, he likes zoom'. Apparently I can have it if it's any use to me?

So a free X100 coming my way! Only thing is I don't really know much about photography, starting to learn about A and S modes through websites and youtube but really just dancing on the fringes. Can I learn these things with an X100 or am I just making life really hard for myself?

You absolutely can.

It has an aperture priority mode, shutter priority, full manual, full auto.

When my gf uses it, I turn it to aperture priority with full auto ISO so that shutter remains above 1/50 or something.

(Note: If you're outside and notice that things are way too bright, you have it set to f/2.0 and the shutter can't go fast enough to properly expose. Change to 2.8, 4, 5.6 whatever else.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How did a guy who like zoom puchased a X100, mind blown.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Shmoogy posted:

You absolutely can.

It has an aperture priority mode, shutter priority, full manual, full auto.

When my gf uses it, I turn it to aperture priority with full auto ISO so that shutter remains above 1/50 or something.

(Note: If you're outside and notice that things are way too bright, you have it set to f/2.0 and the shutter can't go fast enough to properly expose. Change to 2.8, 4, 5.6 whatever else.)

That's why it has the built-in ND filter, is it not? I'm this close to getting an X100 but Imma hold off until Olympus officially announces the OM-D.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slimchandi posted:

So a free X100 coming my way!

You lucky motherfucker. The odds of something like that happening are so low, since most people can't afford/wouldn't buy a camera that expensive without knowing everything about it in the first place.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Slimchandi posted:

Your grandpa bought a 1300$ camera without doing the minimum amount of research?

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Slimchandi posted:

The X100 layout is actually really similar to how a lot of older film cameras handled exposure with regards to manual and automatic settings, making it (in my opinion) one of the better digital cameras to learn the concepts of photography. You got really lucky, congrats.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

whatever7 posted:

How did a guy who like zoom puchased a X100, mind blown.

Usually he's pretty well informed about his purchases to be honest. His previous camera purchases have been compacts or pro-sumer so the idea of a camera without a zoom is a bit foreign to him, he certainly hasn't ventured into SLR territory.

I think he said he looks at the spec sheet, and under zoom it said "n/a". He thought it meant that they just hadn't got around to looking at the zoom yet. He certainly picked the right camera in terms of IQ, just got that one detail wrong. He's also an extremely generous guy!

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Slimchandi posted:

Usually he's pretty well informed about his purchases to be honest. His previous camera purchases have been compacts or pro-sumer so the idea of a camera without a zoom is a bit foreign to him, he certainly hasn't ventured into SLR territory.

I think he said he looks at the spec sheet, and under zoom it said "n/a". He thought it meant that they just hadn't got around to looking at the zoom yet. He certainly picked the right camera in terms of IQ, just got that one detail wrong. He's also an extremely generous guy!

Love that camera; love that grandpa.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
It seems that the corporate troubles at Olympus haven't soured the Japanese on the cameras themselves.

BCN posted:

...Olympus, despite its various internal problems, has come from third place to take Panasonic's crown at the top of the mirrorless camera market, jumping from 29.1 percent to a 36.6 percent share. Panasonic was pushed down to second with 29.3 percent, and Sony is now in third place with 27.3 percent.

I'm glad to see some good news for them as I think they make excellent mirrorless cameras and the people responsible for that aspect have nothing to do with the boardroom money shuffling.

also, in bulky, outdated camera news...

BCN posted:

Other information gleaned from the awards includes a more predictable DSLR market, with Canon holding top place with 46.3 percent, Nikon close behind at 39.2 percent, and Pentax the number one straggler with 7.5 percent.
:v:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My parents are looking for a telephoto zoom for m4/3 (E-PL1, specifically). Nothing serious, just vacation-type stuff, and they just have a kit lens at the moment. Any recommendations?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

FasterThanLight posted:

My parents are looking for a telephoto zoom for m4/3 (E-PL1, specifically). Nothing serious, just vacation-type stuff, and they just have a kit lens at the moment. Any recommendations?

If they want a "travel zoom" lens that goes wide to tele, so they can just stick it on the camera and forget about it, there's this Olympus 14-150 mm lens. My brother has it and it performs pretty well for a zoom that covers such a wide range in focal length. $500
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674725-REG/Olympus_261504_M_Zuiko_Digital_ED_14_150mm.html

If they want just a telephoto lens, the Panasonic 45-200 mm is probably the one to go with. Decent zoom range, and has optical image stabilization, which would be nice if your parents ever decided to switch to Panasonic. Sensor stabilization doesn't work as well as optical stabilization on long telephotos anyway. $250
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588078-REG/Panasonic_H_FS045200_45_200mm_f_4_5_6_G_Vario.html

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
If they get the Panasonic lens with built-in IS, they will need to remember to switch off one of the IS systems when they use it. They don't play well together.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

whatever7 posted:

The most important thing is the fake winder lever like that Epson camera

I secretly want one of these so bad...

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I secretly want one of these so bad...

I keep "re-discovering" these, and wanting one until I see the prices on ebay...

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Despite the mixed reviews, I got a GF3 with the kit lens today. Having used a Nikon D90 for the past 2 years, I really like the switch up to a smaller camera with touchscreen shooting. It feels like a completely new take on photography after using SLRs of some sort since 2005.

My question - what's the best "walk around" pancake lens for under 400? And am I right in that many of the 4/3rds lenses are interchangeable by brand? I like the kit lens that the camera came with, but I want something smaller so I can throw the whole thing in the pocket of my winter coat and go about my business.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The lever on the R-D1 is not a "rewind lever", it is there to cock the shutter like on a film body (minus actually advancing film). The body of the camera is based on the same Cosina chassis as e.g. the Nikon FM10 so it is not surprising to see it done this way.

So it is not just for show.

On a different note, they are practically giving away GF1 kits here lately, lots of camera for the money. Should the new Olympus disappoint I might pick one up to play with m4/3.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Geek USSR posted:

My question - what's the best "walk around" pancake lens for under 400? And am I right in that many of the 4/3rds lenses are interchangeable by brand? I like the kit lens that the camera came with, but I want something smaller so I can throw the whole thing in the pocket of my winter coat and go about my business.

Lumix 20mm, no question. Get it.

Don't mix up "Four-thirds" and "Micro Four-thirds" they have different mounts. You can use any micro 4/3 lens on any micro 4/3 camera, regardless of the brand. You can use any 4/3 lens with an adapter. The adapter is as big as a pancake lens on its own, so you lose some compactness and the autofocus is slower.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The 20mm is pretty great. I usually carry it and an M42 50mm as my 'kit.' Either a SuperTak, which is fairly small and light or a f/1.4 sears(ricoh).
You might want to look at the Oly 17mm since Panny discontinuing the 20 has completely fetishized it and the prices aren't going down. You might also want to hold off buying anything at all for a little while. Troll your local craigslist for gearfags (lol) dumping u43 stuff once the Fuji starts shipping. Not to mention Tokina and Tamron are now in the game. Their offerings should be interesting.
I'm hoping for a 45mm 1:1 Macro from Tamron :allears:

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the responses and the clarification on Micro 4/3 lenses. I think I'll just utilize the kit lens and when summer comes I'll see what's available. I took my dog for a walk this morning and was snapping pictures the whole way. It's so much easier than my DSLR for quick shots, especially with the touch screen. At the same time it doesn't feel as slow or cheap as a P&S, but I guess that's the point...

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Startyde posted:

Panny discontinuing the 20 has completely fetishized it and the prices aren't going down.

That seems very unlikely to me that Panasonic would discontinue that lens, and I can't find any information supporting that on the internet.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Looks like it is back ordered a lot of places but that's all I can find. It's still on the Panasonic website.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Apologies, its discontinuation as a kit lens.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
You may be thinking of a different lens. There was the 14-45mm kit lens that's been discontinued for the 14-42mm and the kit panasonic 14mm f2.5 I would not be surprised if that was discontinued to shift more of the 20mm 1.7

Did another test shot with the GF3, it handled it well in Aperture and Ai (which I still maintain is actually sentient) modes but lens flair with the 14-42 was a bitch.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Flash bouncer for Sony NEX:

http://www.limsdesign.com/xe/?document_srl=476

Not incredible, but it's something.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

After giving it some deep thought for the past couple of weeks, I'm backing out of the NEX system for now. I really like the idea of NEX and I see great promise in the future, but for now, at this very second, it just doesn't meet my needs. I don't do a lot of professional work, but when I do, I really need things like a proper hotshoe, or multiple control dials to shoot in full-manual mode. I know the NEX-7 has both of those, but I've been waiting literally for months to score one, with multiple preorders with multiple vendors. I give up. Maybe I'll try again in a year or two when supply issues have worked themselves out, and there's a more robust ecosystem of native lenses.

Keep an eye on the camera buy/sell thread, I'll be posting my NEX-5N, the kit zoom, the 16mm pancake, and the 55-210 lens in there sometime in the next few days. Luckily, the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is still within the return window, so I should be able to just ship that back to Adorama without jumping through any extra hoops.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I know what you mean on the NEX 7. I would have bought one last month if there were any available but now I'm kind of glad I didn't. I absolutely hate the form factor and the feel of the NEX 5 for some reason. I want to try out the 7 before I buy one.

Also in mirrorless news, high res pics from the X-Pro 1 are out. ISO 6400 looking nice and the resolution is amazing.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/01/Fujifilm_First_X-Pro1_Images

My 5D2 is going to be sold as soon as I replace the scratched LCD cover so I will be looking at a mirrorless replacement soon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bob Socko posted:

After giving it some deep thought for the past couple of weeks, I'm backing out of the NEX system for now. I really like the idea of NEX and I see great promise in the future, but for now, at this very second, it just doesn't meet my needs. I don't do a lot of professional work, but when I do, I really need things like a proper hotshoe, or multiple control dials to shoot in full-manual mode. I know the NEX-7 has both of those, but I've been waiting literally for months to score one, with multiple preorders with multiple vendors. I give up. Maybe I'll try again in a year or two when supply issues have worked themselves out, and there's a more robust ecosystem of native lenses.

Keep an eye on the camera buy/sell thread, I'll be posting my NEX-5N, the kit zoom, the 16mm pancake, and the 55-210 lens in there sometime in the next few days. Luckily, the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is still within the return window, so I should be able to just ship that back to Adorama without jumping through any extra hoops.

I am now very interested in seeing what my tax return will be like.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

I keep "re-discovering" these, and wanting one until I see the prices on ebay...

Yeah, and I always forget that it has a crop sensor as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of most Leica lenses unless you only plan on doing portraits.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
has anyone had issues with battery charging on the nex?

im using an official sony battery but after i charge it my camera tells me it only has 45% in it

is it just a wrong reading? i have 2 other third party battery and they both read 100%, and my sony one always did before today

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pentax K-01. Ugly, as in ooooo-glay.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-first-real-pictures-of-the-pentac-k-01-mirrorless-camera/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's what I call a pancake lens though, drat.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

APS-C sensor plus it can mount all my old k-mount lenses without an adapter? I'm intrigued.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mr. Despair posted:

APS-C sensor plus it can mount all my old k-mount lenses without an adapter?

Such a thing has never been done!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HPL posted:

Such a thing has never been done!

Well, not in a mirrorless body, right? I can't fit a k-5 in my pocket very well, and the Q has a different mount.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mr. Despair posted:

Well, not in a mirrorless body, right? I can't fit a k-5 in my pocket very well, and the Q has a different mount.

If there were an EVF built in, I could see the point of the design, but it just looks needlessly bulky without one. Plus I doubt you'll be able to fit it in your pocket with anything other than that pancake 40mm.

I think the thing is that Pentax tried to go retro, but they went back to the ugly AF film bodies instead of the cool manual focus ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Skam posted:

has anyone had issues with battery charging on the nex?

im using an official sony battery but after i charge it my camera tells me it only has 45% in it

is it just a wrong reading? i have 2 other third party battery and they both read 100%, and my sony one always did before today

No problems so far with mine. I haven't really used it all that much though.