Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Shibata subbed a new file that's got me rolling. It's about comedians who draw poorly(no Hamada, unfortunately). Hosted by Ameagari. Shibata's had some good stuff up, if you quit reading his site after he decided to quit doing Gaki subs you should give it another go as the Japanese TV scene is rather incestuous and people appear on tons of shows all the time as guests. Odds are if you're a big enough Gaki fan you'll be able to recognize people on virtually everything else he's subbed and even if you don't I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of stuff funny anyways.

http://www.shibatabread.com/2012/01/subbed-celebrities-who-cannot-draw.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Huh, I didn't realise this thread was still active. :saddowns: Well I just made another thread about a Japanese show from the 70s, possibly I should have put it here but it's kinda long and spergey. I'd be interested in knowing more about its original undubbed form if anyone has seen it.

Props to this thread for making me really interested in watching some guys explain how to make disgusting pizza in a foreign language.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

A new subbed part of the Airport Batsu is up on GakiFiles now.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Does anyone here watch Mecha-Ike? I've just starting trying to watch it. They have specials where they trick a group of celebrities into coming out and then give them a surprise high school exam (Japanese, English, Social Studies, Science, and Math). They go through them and make fun of everyone's answers then rank them to found out who is the stupidest.

Endo is a guest on one of the specials, although I haven't watched that one yet. Unfortunately there's only one episode I've found that's been subbed, with Morning Musume taking the test. It doesn't really seem to have a huge english fan community as far as I can tell, but I found it really funny.

E: I think the No Reaction Drama thing where people have to act while pans keep falling on their heads is from Mecha-Ike too.

Bad Bromance fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 23, 2012

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've seen it before. One of the low ranking girls did terribly on the English portion and got a pretty brutal tear down. Her answers were hilarious, but she was crying for real and it was a little raw for a supposed comedy program.

Although it is funny to see who acts like a dumbass professionally turns out to be really highly educated. There are a few comedians who fall into this category.

spoonboy
Oct 30, 2004

I wanna be a pilot!

Crotch Bat posted:

Shibata subbed a new file that's got me rolling. It's about comedians who draw poorly(no Hamada, unfortunately). Hosted by Ameagari. Shibata's had some good stuff up, if you quit reading his site after he decided to quit doing Gaki subs you should give it another go as the Japanese TV scene is rather incestuous and people appear on tons of shows all the time as guests. Odds are if you're a big enough Gaki fan you'll be able to recognize people on virtually everything else he's subbed and even if you don't I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of stuff funny anyways.

Thanks for sharing this, I was literally in tears laughing at most of it

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

With all of the filehosting sites dropping like flies of late, maybe it'd be a good idea to get together a proper torrent of the Batsu games or whatever is considered worthy overall? Something put up on the SA private tracker, perhaps?

I'm just getting back into these shows after GCCX rekindled my interest. Plus, I figure a right proper torrent would be a lot more convenient than downloading part by part from the filehosting sites that still exist.

Just a thought, dunno how feasible it would be.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lock posted:

With all of the filehosting sites dropping like flies of late, maybe it'd be a good idea to get together a proper torrent of the Batsu games or whatever is considered worthy overall? Something put up on the SA private tracker, perhaps?

I'm just getting back into these shows after GCCX rekindled my interest. Plus, I figure a right proper torrent would be a lot more convenient than downloading part by part from the filehosting sites that still exist.

I've got half the files off the gaki website and I would happily lend aid to something like this. A similar thought was popping up at the GCCX thread that we need a megatorrent and people can torrent bits and pieces and help seed.

Initial seeding would be a bitch but after a week or two we could have something managable and people could ask for help with certain files and others would adjust their torrents to help seed said files.

I really want to get more Gaki no Tsukai stuff. (and torrents seem to be sparse for that)

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Ineffiable posted:

I've got half the files off the gaki website and I would happily lend aid to something like this. A similar thought was popping up at the GCCX thread that we need a megatorrent and people can torrent bits and pieces and help seed.

Initial seeding would be a bitch but after a week or two we could have something managable and people could ask for help with certain files and others would adjust their torrents to help seed said files.

I really want to get more Gaki no Tsukai stuff. (and torrents seem to be sparse for that)
http://www.d-addicts.com/ has weekly raw GNT torrents, and I believe, all of the batsus in raw form as well. Finding the sub files is comparatively easy from there.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

Bad Bromance posted:

Does anyone here watch Mecha-Ike?

I do! It's probably my favorite Japanese TV show actually. Even though I do not -yet- speak Japanese, I find Mecha-Ike hilarious, I think their slapstick style definitely helps with that.

Also, I wanted to share fairly recent episodes of Lincoln with you guys, they feature Hamada and friends dressing up as "kawaii" mascots, competing against each other in various challenges. No subs, but still very, very funny.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI5ODczMzA4.html (Lincoln 11.12.06)(part 1)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzQzOTYzOTI4.html (Lincoln 12.01.17)(part 2)

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

If you all like Downtown and especially Matsumoto, I strongly advise you to watch the Documentary "Professionals" about him. Its a documentary that follows him for 6 months and made me see Matsumoto in a completely different light. I suppose for some it might distract from the comedy in the future as it shows Matsumoto being very serious (and most importantly, smart) and the work ethics and chemistry and generally the relationship between him and Hamada and other Gaki members behind the scenes (like them never even looking at each other before their shows start, which is usually the first time they exchange any words).

It also gives good insight into just how much and how severly Matsumoto changed Japans comedy scene and how long and how absolutely peerless he has been at the top for most, if not all of the 20+ years he's been in the business.

You can find it all subbed here: clicky clicky.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) only the YT links work anymore after the whole MegaUpload dramarama. But they still all seem to be there and working. So go watch it!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's always a bit eye opening to find out Downtown's real relationship. It's so very unique, at least from an American perspective. The Gaki group in general has weird dynamics but you can see some of the inner workings on the show and things like batsu games. Matsumoto apparently hangs out with Yamasaki from time to time(which is probably as good as it gets with Matsumoto) and Hamada and Endo have, apparently, a really good relationship. You can spot these in the batsu because Endo and Yamasaki usually end up targeting each respective member of Downtown more than the other.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Lock posted:

I know there is a torrent available on ThePirateBay which includes a variety of batsu games. Sadly, the files are a bit strange with multiple sets of subtitles of varying quality. I already queued through all the batsus and eagerly want to watch more clips, so if people have interest in sharing further content for it I'd love to see what is available.

Crotch Bat posted:

It's always a bit eye opening to find out Downtown's real relationship. It's so very unique, at least from an American perspective. The Gaki group in general has weird dynamics but you can see some of the inner workings on the show and things like batsu games. Matsumoto apparently hangs out with Yamasaki from time to time(which is probably as good as it gets with Matsumoto) and Hamada and Endo have, apparently, a really good relationship. You can spot these in the batsu because Endo and Yamasaki usually end up targeting each respective member of Downtown more than the other.

I've never noticed the direct partnerships, but I definitely do recognize Endo & Hamada never going at each other. Though Matsumoto & Yamasaki do seem to go after each other a little bit during the batsus. (Mostly the silly faces)

*edit*
I'm watching the Professional video now. It does seem Matsumoto & Yamasaki do get along well.

abraxas: Thanks for sharing. This video is really fascinating. Probably will finish watching it tomorrow, but it is definitely giving me reason to really respect Matsumoto.

During the documentary, they mention his show, Suberanai Hanashi. CrazyOnTV has subbed a variety of clips from the show. It is top quality stuff: http://crazyontv.com/tag/suberanai-hanashi/

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 25, 2012

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm going off my own rather uninformed (at least about Japanese celebrities and their relationships etc.) opinion here but I'd say Downtowns real relationships with each other are very unique, even for Japan. It's just very strange to see them all seemingly get along so well and then never really interacting much with each other outside of their shows. They always gave me the feeling of actually being a group of 5 friends who would spend a lot of time together on and off of TV. It's almost kind of jarring to find out how "little" they actually get along in their private life. Matsumoto really dislikes Hamada a lot of times.

It makes me wonder when and why their relationship changed. I assume when they both started out as 18 year olds and formed their comedy duo they got along pretty well. I can see how after 20+ years you'd start going on each others nerves, especially if you have so many TV shows together. But on the other hand, I'd also think that going the whole way from starting out as a lowly new comedy duo and slowly but surely rising to the absolute comedy masters would bond them together big time.

Edit: Oh and somewhat related, since they mention it in the documentary, I highly recommend both Matsumoto movies to anyone who hasn't seen them yet. They're admittedly a bit "weird" to say the least and kind of confusing too, plot wise (if you wanna call that a plot) but both Symbol and Big Man Japan are really fun movies to watch if you usually like Matsumotos style of humor and comedy.

The ending to Big Man Japan made no sense to me whatsoever and the ending of Symbol is kind of open to interpretation I'd say, so don't expect cinematic masterpieces or anything. Still, definitely a recommended watch for all Matsumoto fans!

abraxas fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 25, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

JerseyMonkey posted:

I know there is a torrent available on ThePirateBay which includes a variety of batsu games. Sadly, the files are a bit strange with multiple sets of subtitles of varying quality. I already queued through all the batsus and eagerly want to watch more clips, so if people have interest in sharing further content for it I'd love to see what is available.

I've never noticed the direct partnerships, but I definitely do recognize Endo & Hamada never going at each other. Though Matsumoto & Yamasaki do seem to go after each other a little bit during the batsus. (Mostly the silly faces)

Yeah, though it is a bit all over the place, it's a good starting point even if it only goes through 2009.

And I dunno about Endo never targeting Hamada or vice versa...was watching the first half of the Police batsu last night and there were a number of every-man-for-himself attacks, though it's hilarious when they're so obviously trying to get each other out.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

abraxas posted:

I'm going off my own rather uninformed (at least about Japanese celebrities and their relationships etc.) opinion here but I'd say Downtowns real relationships with each other are very unique, even for Japan. It's just very strange to see them all seemingly get along so well and then never really interacting much with each other outside of their shows. They always gave me the feeling of actually being a group of 5 friends who would spend a lot of time together on and off of TV. It's almost kind of jarring to find out how "little" they actually get along in their private life. Matsumoto really dislikes Hamada a lot of times.

You rarely find duos where both members have found such success in their individual work like DT, and I imagine that's had an effect on their relationship. But I still see their relationship more as an example than an exception. There are duos such as Summers and Kyaiin, who are on Lincoln but otherwise whose shows unfortunately aren't subbed, that are usually singled out as being exceptionally friendly in their private lives. But otherwise, the Japanese comedy industry is known for vertical relationships, where older comedians have a posse of younger comedians whom they hang out with. See, for instance, Beat Takeshi and his crew back in the 80's.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 25, 2012

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abraxas posted:

The ending to Big Man Japan made no sense to me whatsoever and the ending of Symbol is kind of open to interpretation I'd say, so don't expect cinematic masterpieces or anything. Still, definitely a recommended watch for all Matsumoto fans!

The ending to that movie was a call back to Ultraman, which I believe Matsumoto is a big fan of, he mentions Ultraman a lot in the batsu games.

Penn and Teller have admitted to having a very similar relationship. Penn said that off stage they have nothing to do with each other. They see so much of each other in work situations that they just don't want to spend their personal time together which would make a lot of sense. At that point they aren't just a friend, they are family and when you are living with someone or around someone that much you normally need a break from them at some point.

hairytruman
Jun 9, 2009

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Penn and Teller have admitted to having a very similar relationship. Penn said that off stage they have nothing to do with each other. They see so much of each other in work situations that they just don't want to spend their personal time together which would make a lot of sense. At that point they aren't just a friend, they are family and when you are living with someone or around someone that much you normally need a break from them at some point.

Yeah, I agree with this. From what I understand of Downtown's relationship, they have been friends since middle school (so thats like nearly 30 years of being close, and 20+ of a professional relationship). So to them, it is probably more like being "family" rather than being friends. Anyone with siblings probably knows that there are ups and downs but overall you can get along. That is kind of the feeling that I get from them

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

spoonboy posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I was literally in tears laughing at most of it

Holy poo poo I was crying when they were trying to draw a bicycle.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

abraxas posted:

I found Symbol to be a minor materpiece.

For a Cinematic Masterpiece watch his latest film Scabbard Samurai. It's a superb film in every aspect.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

WonderfulWino posted:

For a Cinematic Masterpiece watch his latest film Scabbard Samurai. It's a superb film in every aspect.

Films look pretty interesting. Do we have any threads that help inform people about foreign films? Always trying to discover new films, so I'm happy to check these out. (Are there any big Asian film ceremonies to celebrate their big films?)

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Wow, that documentary was a real eye opener. It is just so weird.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

WonderfulWino posted:

I kind of agree with Symbol... it was a minor masterpiece. Very weird but totally watchable and I personally liked it a lot. I just think it's so very different from the Hollywood movies (or whatever) that we're used to, which might make it hard to sell to some people.

Is Scabbard Samurai the movie they were talking about in the documentary? I've read up on it a bit in the past but skipped it because I'm honestly not all that interested in Samurai movies and I kind of like actually seeing Matsumoto in his movies as opposed to just directing and producing them and having a small little cameo appearance. I also recall hearing it's not a funny movie which kinda put me off and made me forget about it back then. Maybe I should give it another chance!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Holy poo poo I was crying when they were trying to draw a bicycle.

Oh god my stomach hurts.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Never doubt Downtown's closeness...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hurm. posted:

Never doubt Downtown's closeness...

Hah, that's nothing, here's a LINCOLN episode from awhile back. The premise was that in order to keep the young guys from always being so terrified of Hamada they restrained him and allowed the younger guys to either kiss him or pie him. Only 3 chose to pie, I think, and as you can see the grand finale was something else.

And these weren't light pecks, either. All of them, including Matsumoto's, lasted a solid 10-15 seconds.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
So, apparently this is a spoiler for the Airport batsu, but I am not sure since I am only watching as they get subbed. Two look alikes to Hamada and Matsumoto, the Matsumoto one is quite meh, but the Hamada one looks just like the real deal when he frowns They sing and dance. I wonder their reaction if they appears on the batsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_GIVc8TOo

I can't wait to see what they do with it, if true. It has a lot of potential.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 26, 2012

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

abraxas posted:

Is Scabbard Samurai the movie they were talking about in the documentary? I've read up on it a bit in the past but skipped it because I'm honestly not all that interested in Samurai movies and I kind of like actually seeing Matsumoto in his movies as opposed to just directing and producing them and having a small little cameo appearance. I also recall hearing it's not a funny movie which kinda put me off and made me forget about it back then. Maybe I should give it another chance!

Didn't watch the documentary yet. Scabbard Samurai is funny but its really much more then that. To say anymore about this film would spoiler its impact. It really has nothing in common with 99.9% of samurai movies.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Next 30 mins of Airport is available: http://echie7.blogspot.com/2012/01/airport-91-120-people-and-item.html

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Clearly, I have an unbridled love for anything Matsumoto related, but man, I really didn't care for Scabbard Samurai. Obviously the movie isn't intended to be an out-and-out comedy (even though most of the movie seems to be in service of that), but I felt the whole thing was kind of a mess, story wise.

Like 80% of the movie is sight gags and slapstick routines then at the very end it gets maudlin and self-serious. And the priest singing his last message to his daughter? Really? Sometimes I feel Matsumoto attempts some real ballsy artistic moves which either win out like Big Man Japan or falls flat on it's face... like Scabbard Samurai.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010

Lock posted:

Something put up on the SA private tracker, perhaps?

We have one of those?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Like 80% of the movie is sight gags and slapstick routines then at the very end it gets maudlin and self-serious.

Almost all current Japanese movies have serious problems with tone being all over the place. Not only comedies taking on unearned weight at the end, but random goofiness in the middle of serious dramas. Like someone read a film textbook that said "dramas need comic relief" so they drop in a gag without any regard to characterization or consistency. That same textbook must have a line that goes "good comedy carries emotional weight" so they literally pack the last fifth of every comedic film or TV series with syrupy melodrama that comes out of nowhere.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

abraxas posted:

If you all like Downtown and especially Matsumoto, I strongly advise you to watch the Documentary "Professionals" about him. Its a documentary that follows him for 6 months and made me see Matsumoto in a completely different light. I suppose for some it might distract from the comedy in the future as it shows Matsumoto being very serious (and most importantly, smart) and the work ethics and chemistry and generally the relationship between him and Hamada and other Gaki members behind the scenes (like them never even looking at each other before their shows start, which is usually the first time they exchange any words).

It also gives good insight into just how much and how severly Matsumoto changed Japans comedy scene and how long and how absolutely peerless he has been at the top for most, if not all of the 20+ years he's been in the business.

You can find it all subbed here: clicky clicky.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) only the YT links work anymore after the whole MegaUpload dramarama. But they still all seem to be there and working. So go watch it!

Finally watched this full documentary. It is really fantastic and I highly recommend it to any Gaki fans. After watching the documentary, I gained an appreciation for the Portable Dynamic Adventure clip.

Matsumoto's humor is very peculiar and without that forewarned mindset, I think it is easy to be displeased some of his creations. Related to this, I watched Big Man Japan over the weekend. Very odd but thoroughly enjoyable film. The ending was hilarious due to the complete randomness, mostly due to the fact the movie was rather weird but was extend to an even odder territory.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Crotch Bat posted:

Thanks for the link. Brings back memories of the "try to draw like Hamada" game on Gaki.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

JerseyMonkey posted:

Finally watched this full documentary. It is really fantastic and I highly recommend it to any Gaki fans. After watching the documentary, I gained an appreciation for the Portable Dynamic Adventure clip.

Man, I laughed a lot during the Portable Dynamic Adventure skit the first time I saw it, but the friend I watched it with (who is as big a Gaki fan as I am) was practically stonefaced the whole time. Matsumoto's sense of humor can be really weird.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey, Jap-speakers/readers, what is that show that had the Celebrities Can't Draw feature? And why were all the audience women, and why did the set look like the garish playroom of a 5-year-old girl? I'm assuming it's a variety show aimed at women? Who were the guys who appeared on the show?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't know the show, but studio audiences are usually almost completely female. I don't know why.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Corridor posted:

Hey, Jap-speakers/readers, what is that show that had the Celebrities Can't Draw feature? And why were all the audience women, and why did the set look like the garish playroom of a 5-year-old girl? I'm assuming it's a variety show aimed at women? Who were the guys who appeared on the show?

The show is called Ame-talk, hosted by the duo Ameagari Kesshitai(Post-Rain Death Squad is usually the translation I stick with but perhaps zari-gani knows a better one). It's a typical variety show given to comedians.

The sets are colorfully designed because I don't know, I guess just that's Japan. It's a variety show so it's supposed to be lively and fun so I guess that's why they decorate shows as such.

The women, I don't know, again probably because it's Japan. There's probably something about the TV audience not wanting to look at a bunch of men and instead see a bunch of cute girls when they pan over the audience.

No, it's not aimed at women.

The guys on the show are all owarai geinin(comedy performers, comedians). As I've mentioned, Japanese comedy is very incestuous and you will repeatedly see the same comedians over and over on a bunch of different venues and shows. My understanding is that comedians typically get paid squat for money except for the very experienced and popular ones like Downtown, so they have to constantly hustle from job to job to get their pay. Most comedians don't get their own shows(and many times these shows don't last) so they're very much like our stand-up guys and just always on the move to make a buck. The lifespan of tarento(talent) can be incredibly short so these guys and gals have to not only strike while the iron is hot(in the case of the flavor-of-the-month comedians) but also to try and make it through the difficult first years and stick around and get more regular work.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I love Ameta--lk (and yes, Post-Rain Death Squad is the best translation for Ameagari Kesshitai). Usually every episode has a theme, anywhere from (and these are actual themes they've had) "Comedians Who Love Gundam," "Comedians Who Are Trying to Quit Smoking," "Comedians Who Constantly Moved When They Were Kids," "Comedians Who Have Gained Weight," "Comedians Who Are Shy," "Comedians Who Suck At Enunciating," "Comedians Who Suck At Sports" (which Shinya Arino appeared on), etc. then they get a group of comedians who fit the theme and they all talk and exchange stories for about two hours. When it's something like "Comedians Who Suck At ___," it's usually a giant hilarious mockfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

I love Ameagari, mostly for Miyasako. He's got a fun, bombastic style and, let's be perfectly frank here, fabulous man-hair.

Speaking of talent-based talk/variety shows, I've been enjoying the few episodes of Shabekuri 007 cropping up on CrazyOnTV.com.
It's your pretty standard format, but the duo heading up the show, Cream Stew, is really awesome. Especially Arita (on the right), who I find endlessly entertaining.