Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

I don't understand this. I bought the 2312 because it was a hundred bucks cheaper and the only thing is missing is four lines of text.
You are talking to people who would (and do) willingly spend $100+ to move from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. Some of use like those extra 4 lines of text, even though we fully admit that it's not a cost-effective upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

DrDork posted:

You are talking to people who would (and do) willingly spend $100+ to move from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. Some of use like those extra 4 lines of text, even though we fully admit that it's not a cost-effective upgrade.

Yeah, I'm quite happy with my 1920X1200 resolution, and for reasons I can't explain, 16:10 just "looks better" to me than 16:9.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It might not be "cost effective", but really, you go for the monitor you want if you have the money.

You could equally say that most people think monitors are dirt cheap now, and they'd say you'd be crazy to spend >$200 on a monitor.

Uberbob102000
Sep 15, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

Yeah, I'm quite happy with my 1920X1200 resolution, and for reasons I can't explain, 16:10 just "looks better" to me than 16:9.

This is where I am with the whole 16:9/16:10 thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They can pry my 16:10 from my cold dead hands

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

UndyingShadow posted:

There's actually a reason for this:

16:101 is really really close to the Golden Ratio2, for which both nature and humans have a well-known affinity and which has some slick basic math tricks related to it; also it was super convenient for HD video editors because they can keep entire frames and controls on screen simultaneously (whether it still is now that most workflows involve a fractal array of monitors is anyone's guess).

16:9 is 4:3 x 4:3.

The TV industry is lazy and ended up dominating production.

1GOD I hate that this is how we refer to 8:5.
2(sqrt(5)+1):2, or about 1.618; compare 8:5 at 1.600 and 16:9 at 1.778.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 25, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1GOD I hate that this is how we refer to 8:5.

That's bad, but also, see the Philips 21:9 ratio TV. I guess 7:3 is too hard :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

HalloKitty posted:

That's bad, but also, see the Philips 21:9 ratio TV. I guess 7:3 is too hard :(

Counterpoint: Even though you can do math, do you really want to do some mental arithmetic every time you're figuring out which screen is relatively wider than the other?

Now imagine the people who willfully forgot math yet still have a lot of money to spend.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to explain to a friend of mine that ~$300 27" monitors are going to suck hard since they're both TN and 1080p and 16:9. Unsuccessfully. It's not even a question of money, he just thinks they look great.
:negative:

IMO, it's not even those 120px, but the as other have said, the ratio just looks better and is easier to work with on a PC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been trying to explain to a friend of mine that ~$300 27" monitors are going to suck hard since they're both TN and 1080p and 16:9. Unsuccessfully. It's not even a question of money, he just thinks they look great.
:negative:

IMO, it's not even those 120px, but the as other have said, the ratio just looks better and is easier to work with on a PC.

It's :psyduck: inducing, I've had people come up to me super-smug because they paid less than I did for my U3011 to get 2 lovely TN 24/27" displays. "You don't know as much as you think about this stuff movax :smug:"

Then I hear them complain about why the pictures on screen don't match what they print, or why the colors on my display are so much better. v0v

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Counterpoint: Even though you can do math, do you really want to do some mental arithmetic every time you're figuring out which screen is relatively wider than the other?

Now imagine the people who willfully forgot math yet still have a lot of money to spend.

I can absolutely see why you do it from a marketing perspective. It's also pretty convenient.

Not to mention, we all know bigger numbers make something better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I don't really see the harm in everything being 16:x or x:9, I can do basic arithmetic too but this just makes everything clear at a glance on spec sheet or price list

movax posted:

It's :psyduck: inducing, I've had people come up to me super-smug because they paid less than I did for my U3011 to get 2 lovely TN 24/27" displays. "You don't know as much as you think about this stuff movax :smug:"

Then I hear them complain about why the pictures on screen don't match what they print, or why the colors on my display are so much better. v0v

I think I forgot to mention the worst part - I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was just some guy who called his tower case the hard drive or something. But he's actually into computer stuff about as much as I am, and even actually studied informatics, unlike myself. I can even understand not being upset about TN, the modern panels aren't that bad. But 1080p at 27" or above is just lovely resolution no matter how you cut it. Uh, I should probably take a deep breath now.

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

I currently have 2x NEC 20WMGX2 . I have been itching to upgrade to a 23 or 24" monitor for some time now, but I have been reluctant because the NECs are pretty drat good.

Do the newer Dells (U2312HM and U2412M) compare favorably with the 20WMGX2 in terms of color accuracy? Also, is there a step-up from the 2412M that has the same performance but will correctly scale a 1080p signal (if I wanted to use my PS3 on it).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

Has anyone had experience with the Viewsonic VX2336s-LED IPS monitor? The price is certainly right, but I can't find any reviews on it (aside from a glowing review from an end-user on Amazon).

I've also been hearing a bit about the graininess of the AG coat on the U2312HM. If you're in an environment where glare isn't an issue, might it possibly be worthwhile to consider a glossy IPS such as the SX2210T, or is it much ado about nothing?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There's actually a reason for this:

16:101 is really really close to the Golden Ratio2, for which both nature and humans have a well-known affinity

No, that's complete bullshit.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

shrughes posted:

No, that's complete bullshit.

Which part? Or is your mind just so blown that you're incredulous?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Factory Factory posted:

Which part? Or is your mind just so blown that you're incredulous?

See also http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

A clearly reputable and unbiased source.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

You and that link are pretty angry about this number that happens to turn up now and then. If someone swoons over Euler's identity, will you post a diatribe against e and how compound interest is bullshit?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: asking somewhere else

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 26, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Factory Factory posted:

You and that link are pretty angry about this number that happens to turn up now and then. If someone swoons over Euler's identity, will you post a diatribe against e and how compound interest is bullshit?

No? Because compound interest is not bullshit, and e^(pi*i) = -1 is a fact? People don't swoon over the "e" rectangle or "e" spirals so there's nothing to get mad about. (People who think they're sooo smart for knowing that e^(pi*i) = -1 when they don't even know how we know it's -1 are a different matter.)

On the other hand, the claim that 1.618 is a visually pleasing ratio for rectangles is indeed bullshit.

Also nobody is angry that there are things "turn up" that are in approximately 8-to-5 ratios. What's angering is when people give examples that don't even meet phi specifications, when they selectively look for ratios within a certain distance of phi (they're never really equal to phi), and don't try the same technique on other potential ratios, and generally disregard all the possible techniques for actually making sure they're right. They're not interested in being right, they're interested in being one of the people who knows that phi is special and therefore they're special for "knowing" this without ever having investigated that perhaps it's 8/5 that's the special artistically pretty ratio or really that the idea might be complete bullshit. Suppose I posit that 1.414 is a more pleasing ratio for rectangles. Can you make a convincing argument that 1.618 is a more pleasing ratio for rectangles to have, or provide evidence that people prefer looking at such rectangles? Prediction: You can't. You don't get to the truth by inventing a fact and looking only for supporting evidence.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I think you're overreacting to an opinion that superficially resembles that which you hate.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Factory Factory posted:

I think you're overreacting to an opinion that superficially resembles that which you hate.

Absolutely. Slow down, man, we just want things to watch things on and it was a neat idea.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
someone didn't get enough hugs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Let's talk about pyramids and how they prove that the Egyptians were mathematically advanced by their relationship to pi

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ghostpilot posted:

I've also been hearing a bit about the graininess of the AG coat on the U2312HM. If you're in an environment where glare isn't an issue, might it possibly be worthwhile to consider a glossy IPS such as the SX2210T, or is it much ado about nothing?
It's a personal thing. Put it next to a glossy monitor and the difference is quite apparent. I've never really been bothered by the "snow" or "grain" that drive some people nuts. Then again, it does drive some people nuts. But for me, I'd much rather not have to play the angle game where I try to figure out where the gently caress I can put the monitor in my room so that it's not catching glare from something and making me look at my ugly face all day. Other people work in magic track-lighting lairs or something and never have to worry about any sort of light that doesn't come from directly overhead. Or something. Look, if it was really that hideous these things wouldn't sell like hot-cakes. But you might be that 5% or whatever. Who knows!

tl;dr It's there, it's noticeable, it may or may not bug you.

And everyone knows the Pyramids were engineered by aliens, man. I mean, they put alligator poop on their heads--not really a sign of advancement!

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
I'm looking for a new Monitor in the 200-300 Euro pricerange. Size somewhere around 22".

I will mostly use it for gaming (nothing very twitchy though), fast milkdrop presets (i think these require a pretty good response time) and a bit of photo editing and movie watching.
And i'd consider blacklevels rather important, they don't have to be amazing but should be noticeably better than on my current cheap TN philips.
I guess the Dell IPS models might be what i'm looking for, but i've read that they have rather bad blacklevels...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dogen posted:

Let's talk about pyramids and how they prove that the Egyptians were mathematically advanced by their relationship to pi

To be fair, the Egyptians did a loving fine job, however they did it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
On the subject of cheap, large monitors, can someone tell me why this is only ~300 $/€ http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-led-monitor-E2770V-BF.jsp

Would this be even worth considering for gaming?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Because it's a 27" 1920x1080 TN screen. Nothing unusual, and there are plenty of this type available around this price.

Yes, it would probably be fine for gaming. It even has a gaming mode, which I assume strips out a lot of the processing done on the image.

On the downside, it's TN and because of the size/resolution, has a coarse dot pitch/low DPI.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 26, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Who makes good multi-monitor stands and wall mounts? The OP briefly mentions Monoprice and Ergotron, is there anyone else to look at? I'm looking for a dual monitor stand for either 20" or 22" Dell screens.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Who makes good multi-monitor stands and wall mounts? The OP briefly mentions Monoprice and Ergotron, is there anyone else to look at? I'm looking for a dual monitor stand for either 20" or 22" Dell screens.

I'm eyeballing this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI/ref=zg_bs_490624011_1

Loads of good reviews, fits my needs, and affordable.

A688
Apr 15, 2001
A688 = Anut, because I like nuts

19 o'clock posted:

I'm eyeballing this one: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI/ref=zg_bs_490624011_1

Loads of good reviews, fits my needs, and affordable.

I just bought one of those the other week for my two Dell U2311Hs. I'm loving it so far.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I got a new Dell U2312HM from an eBay retailer. It's pretty sweet.

The problem is that the item description specifically said "LATEST REV A02" and the monitor they sent me is REV A01.

Should I exchange for the later revision?

Edit: As far as I can tell, there are no dead or "bright" pixels. There's a faint buzzing sound, but only noticeable when my ear is close to the monitor. I'm still using my laptop, so I would have a screen in the meantime.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 27, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

UndyingShadow posted:

You can make the u2412m run in 16:9 mode with black bars/no blurriness, right? That might sound like a dumb thing to want but Starcraft 2 is designed for 16:9 and if you have a narrower aspect ratio you get a smaller viewport in the game.

edit: For a PC, not for a console.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 27, 2012

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Has anyone ever used something like this to extend VGA connections over Ethernet cable?

I'd rather go with a proper balun, but those extenders are 1/10 the price and I'm on a budget.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Megiddo posted:

Has anyone ever used something like this to extend VGA connections over Ethernet cable?

I'd rather go with a proper balun, but those extenders are 1/10 the price and I'm on a budget.

How far are you planning to go?
In my experience, long runs of VGA get problems with blurriness, particularly for high resolutions and/or fast refresh rates. I can only imagine that using cat5 cables would make those problems worse.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
About 75-100 feet for the longer runs. I've never had any issues in the past with 100' runs of VGA cable at 1280x1024.

I would just run VGA cable, but this has to be run in a plenum space and plenum VGA cable is 10 times the price of plenum Cat5e cable. I just went ahead a bought a few of the extenders, so I'll see if they work at all in a few days.

The real question is, how well will they work when the unshielded Cat5e is in close proximity to fluorescent lights and various cables in the ceiling?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cicero posted:

You can make the u2412m run in 16:9 mode with black bars/no blurriness, right? That might sound like a dumb thing to want but Starcraft 2 is designed for 16:9 and if you have a narrower aspect ratio you get a smaller viewport in the game.

edit: For a PC, not for a console.

What you're asking about is usually called 1:1 pixel mapping, and no, the U2412 does not have that.

1:1 pixel mapping means the monitor will take whatever resolution you give it, map it to that exact number of pixels, and black out the rest of the screen.

The U2412 doesn't do that - it takes whatever resolution it gets and stretches it to fill the screen. It's possible that a game will give you a 16:9 "letterboxed" mode, where it generates the black bars itself and thus gives the monitor a true 1900x1200 resolution, but it's highly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Crackbone posted:

What you're asking about is usually called 1:1 pixel mapping, and no, the U2412 does not have that.

1:1 pixel mapping means the monitor will take whatever resolution you give it, map it to that exact number of pixels, and black out the rest of the screen.

The U2412 doesn't do that - it takes whatever resolution it gets and stretches it to fill the screen. It's possible that a game will give you a 16:9 "letterboxed" mode, where it generates the black bars itself and thus gives the monitor a true 1900x1200 resolution, but it's highly unlikely.

However, you can do that easily with your video card drivers (At least I know you can with Nvidia's control panel). You can just set SC2 to 1920*1080 resolution, and then set GPU scaling up in the control panel so that it effectively does the same 1:1 pixel mapping that some other monitors have as an option.