Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
It's like the three letter game in English. Some combinations occur in a ton of words, and others hardly at all. 'Thu' is relatively common (thumb, thump, thunder, thursday, enthused, thus, butthurt, etc.), whereas the only word I can think of with 'mbt' in it is thumbtack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

Yoo Jae-Suk singing a New Kids on the Block song. I find myself oddly delighted.

Lady. :colbert:

Huh? Please elaborate. I can't think of the right word for "lady" you are thinking of, but this will make me a GOD at this game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Huh? Please elaborate. I can't think of the right word for "lady" you are thinking of, but this will make me a GOD at this game.

I'm wrong. I'm going by American pronunciation, where "ballet" ends with a long "A" sound (에이) instead of the short "E" sound it does in Korean (에).

So I was saying you should use a phonetic "Lady" (레이디) but not only isn't that the same syllable, it's three syllables so I'm out. :(

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Some of those vocab sounds very very similar to Chinese, makes me want to dig into Korean language a bit more now.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

FFSabin posted:

Some of those vocab sounds very very similar to Chinese, makes me want to dig into Korean language a bit more now.

Yeah, definitely. I'm currently learning Chinese, and holy crap are a lot of the words similar. Considering the influence of Chinese culture, and the fact that we used to use Chinese characters for writing until the 1400s (when King Sejong developed the Hangul system, recently dramatized in the Tree with Deep Roots), it's not too surprising. For example, the character/syllable meaning big, in Chinese, is dà(大); in Korean, it's pronounced daeh(대). And if you asked a Korean person to write "big" in Chinese characters, he'd write 大. My grandpa was a master at Hanja (what we call the traditional Chinese characters), and when he went on business trips to China, he apparently would sometimes communicate with the Chinese by simply trading notes back and forth.

Hell, even now, we learn the traditional Chinese characters in addition to Korean, like how a lot of the European schools mandate(d) taking Latin.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 24, 2012

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

which is also really annoying when there are menu items in chinese. if it was in korean i could read it but nooooooooo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jamesman posted:

I'm wrong. I'm going by American pronunciation, where "ballet" ends with a long "A" sound (에이) instead of the short "E" sound it does in Korean (에).

So I was saying you should use a phonetic "Lady" (레이디) but not only isn't that the same syllable, it's three syllables so I'm out. :(

That would totally work if you used "Lettuce" though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Ha, they actually sent him to London.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Xandu posted:

If I had been aware of this sooner, I would have rushed out there and given him a high five.

Selane
May 19, 2006

What a ripoff, should have sent the lol lols too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Xandu posted:

What if it's Ji Hyo that took the picture! :monocle:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

On another note, this megaupload/et al business is going to put a serious dent in my ability to catch up on Korean shows.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

All of the Running Man episodes are on various streaming sites :shobon:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Watching ahead a few of the eps and Kwang Soo is loving killer delivering those deadpan burns to the other members. Dude is hilarious.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Can someone explain the eye expression/number shouting game from episode 12? I don't get it at all :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Emalde posted:

Can someone explain the eye expression/number shouting game from episode 12? I don't get it at all :(

Basically you have to shout the numbers in sequence (1! 2! 3! etc) depending on how many people are playing. Only one person is allowed to shout a number at a time. If two people shout the same number simultaneously, they're both out. If no one shouts simultaneously, the last person to shout is out. So basically you have to try and anticipate when someone else is going to shout so you don't go the same time as them.

Just think of it as everyone shouting "Not it!" only if two people say it at the same time they're automatically "it"

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 12:
Guests: None.

1 2 3 4 5

There are a few episodes without any guests at all, but they’re not very common. Anyway, we start with another 1 vs. X game, with this episode’s victim being Joong-Ki. This time they have a more difficult task, both to do and to cover up, so seeing their rather desperate at times strategy meeting at the beginning is pretty funny. And it’s nice to see Jae-Suk be on the receiving end of the others loving with him for once. And them making the quiz deliberately hard but still have Joong-Ki threaten to know some of the answers was great if only for the reactions of everyone else, and the cast remains utterly unable to keep a straight face (and not cheat).

After a bit more of Gwang-Soo’s framing, we have the thief game (plus the minigames in between rounds). Both the games in this segment are ones I’m familiar with – they seem to pick these short, common games for this part. Jong-Kook again being unchivalrous when it comes down to it is great, plus the now apparently standard sucking up to whoever’s deciding who sits where.. except for Gwang-Soo. And Jae-Suk finally being unable to stand the tension is one of the funniest moments so far.

Finally we have the bomb-defusal hide and seek, with everyone else against Jong-Kook and his boys. It’s another good location for this; not only are there lots of places to hide, but the gaps mean there’s tension when they need to run between them and the non-standard architecture and objects within make hiding even more of a possibility. There’s also the continuing Gary/Ji-Hyo saga, now escalating to Gary letting her off from being caught.

Finally, more hot pants punishment. With the lottery this time, they alter it to make it the first balls that come out full stop, rather than the first people, so Haha’s getting two in a row really doesn’t seem popular with the others, though him getting Jong-Kook to humble himself for the extra chance seemed like fair payback for earlier.

Next time; there’s a reason it was first on that recommendations list.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Poor Gwang Soo in episode 78. She completely played him

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Of all the episodes I've seen so far, I think ep 12 is my least favorite. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that I wasn't laughing my rear end off the entire time like I was with the other ones. That being said, Gary letting Ji Hyo escape made up for it. I wonder how much of it is him really liking her and how much it is of him hamming it up for TV.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder about the Monday Couple and how much of it is authentic. It doesn't help that Ji Hyo has good chemistry with Jong Kook, Joong Ki and HaHa. Also, in watching later episodes... what happened to Lizzy? They don't even mention or address her absence from the show.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder about the Monday Couple and how much of it is authentic. It doesn't help that Ji Hyo has good chemistry with Jong Kook, Joong Ki and HaHa. Also, in watching later episodes... what happened to Lizzy? They don't even mention or address her absence from the show.

Shes became a part of After School and hosts a show I believe which is what she wanted to do from the start.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I loved their attempts to prevent Joong-Ki from getting the right answers, and explaining how they were able to guess the answers so well. Gary's enthusiastic "DONATELLO!" was great, and Kwangsoo saying he wasn't finished answering to steal the win was the best thing.

Also hilarious that they made new Thief cards using Jong-Kook's drawing from the art museum episode. Even the people producing the show are loveable jerks.

The bond between Jae-Suk and his VJ during the chase games gets ever stronger. When Jae-Suk breaks away from the camera, the VJ doesn't ask him to wait or slow down, he just cheers on his escape. Gotta love it. Also love HaHa goofing around and filming his own movie action shots in the rain.

And drat, it was frustrating to watch Ji Hyo get the color sequence wrong. They had it, except nobody was able to communicate to anyone else about blue being first. :(

We need to start going through the episodes faster. Like, 2 or 3 a day.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Kwang Soo's save was great because that was totally in character for him since everyone tends to dismiss Kwang Soo so of course he couldn't finish his answer before being interrupted by someone else.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Jamesman posted:

We need to start going through the episodes faster. Like, 2 or 3 a day.

I had a five day weekend and suddenly I'm at episode 40.

Now I keep eyeing watching Family Outing because I don't want the fun to end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
With every passing episode, Lee just becomes more and more of a fantastic bastard in every way. Part-time Saboteur, part-time Coach, part-time Magician... oh Lee, what can't you do? :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just started randomly watching City Hunter, which is like 24/Bourne Identity on steroids, and holy poo poo Kwang Soo is in it! I had no idea, and it's hilarious to see him in an actual acting capacity.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to think very hard for who he played in that series after you said that. I didn't even realize that was him.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

qbert posted:

I just started randomly watching City Hunter, which is like 24/Bourne Identity on steroids, and holy poo poo Kwang Soo is in it! I had no idea, and it's hilarious to see him in an actual acting capacity.

The Jackie Chan movie is also amazing on, like, all of the levels.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

I'm reccomending this serie to many here and if you want more you should definitely watch IRIS It's abit like the serie "24".

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7OJ9LnboCY

Jong Kookie :allears:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I had to think very hard for who he played in that series after you said that. I didn't even realize that was him.

The bumbling tech colleague at Blue House? It seems like he probably gets a lot of those types of roles.

And I was wrong about my analogy of City Hunter earlier. It's actually Batman Begins meets Pride & Prejudice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

The bumbling tech colleague at Blue House

Yep. I was searching my brain for call the characters in that show, and I couldn't place who he would have played, and then it hit me. I just didn't realize when I was watching the show that it was Kwangsoo.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Read the wiki article on it, is it a good show? Didn't realize that was the drama that Goo Hara was in. Now I have two celebrities on that show I like. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's one of the best dramas I've ever watched, not exclusive to any country.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Someone with good gif skills needs to make an animated gif of the pirate gang 'transformation' from episode 18. drat thing cracks me up every time I see it.

Another question regarding episode 18. Right after it shows the time remaining as about 23:54 in the hide and seek segment, it does a helicopter shot of Ji Hyo right before HaHa starts taunting her over the ship's loudspeakers. What is the music playing in the background? I know its from a movie soundtrack, but I can't quite remember which.

EDIT: It's one of the Pirates sequels, isn't it? EDIT 2: It is. Pirates 3.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 26, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Watched Episode 40+? and was surprised at the awkwardness of Ji Hyo and HaHa and how it was revealed that they did not even trade phone numbers with each other even though everyone else on the show had done so. It was also interesting to see how well they got along with each other. It almost makes me regret them forming the Monday Couple so early because Ji Hyo seems to have chemistry with so many of the RM members.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Lyer posted:

Read the wiki article on it, is it a good show? Didn't realize that was the drama that Goo Hara was in. Now I have two celebrities on that show I like. :v:

She won an award for it so yes, you should watch it

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

DFu4ever posted:

Someone with good gif skills needs to make an animated gif of the pirate gang 'transformation' from episode 18. drat thing cracks me up every time I see it.

Someone already did.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I basically got way the hell addicted to this show and watched all the way up to episode 41.

Oh god :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Kuno posted:

I basically got way the hell addicted to this show and watched all the way up to episode 41.

Oh god :qq:
Welcome to the club! I'm pretty sure this is most people's reactions to the show.

So, problem. Per the discussion a couple of pages back, the end of this next episode isn't up for viewing anywhere online. More importantly it isn't on Youtube, so while there are sources there isn't anything I can really link to. Should I put up links to the first parts? None of it? Any general ideas?