Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

spipedong posted:

If you wanted a paperweight, there are many other options ;)
Mine was an explosive environment rated model. I did get good money selling it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have seen this before where 3 locomotives were doing it at the same time. Still happens from time to time on a single locomotive but you won't see it as often
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e4_1327483866

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I came across some videos of the Nagoya Railroad back in the late 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fL0QYcYT5U&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McrjDWDuldY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7o_irD9IoM

Even back then the trains used musical horns. I have to wonder if any of these are preserved.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 27, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
successful snowplowing
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=505_1328394542

less than successful snowplowing
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=42f_1184266844

solution to large drifts/heavy snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBh5vO_2g0

anything that can throw a hundred tons of snow 500 feet is no joke

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
B4Ctom why is your avatar an animu is this some kind of weird joke from another subforum

Because I know you are no animu

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

B4Ctom1 posted:

successful snowplowing
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=505_1328394542

less than successful snowplowing
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=42f_1184266844

solution to large drifts/heavy snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBh5vO_2g0

anything that can throw a hundred tons of snow 500 feet is no joke

You could even say its snow joke :downsrim:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

B4Ctom why is your avatar an animu is this some kind of weird joke from another subforum

Because I know you are no animu

I have been wondering the same thing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have been wondering the same thing.

TFR had (still has, really) a pestilence of My Little Pony/Brony/etc related avs...like literally over half the semi-regular posters in the forum had them at the height. We had no idea who was buying them (more than likely multiple people from outside, because we're talking literally well over $500 that were spent altogether) and no one has yet owned up to it. I had one until I got this lovely Air Force related one from GiP...but it still references my previous MLP related av from TFR.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

iyaayas01 posted:

TFR had (still has, really) a pestilence of My Little Pony/Brony/etc related avs...like literally over half the semi-regular posters in the forum had them at the height. We had no idea who was buying them (more than likely multiple people from outside, because we're talking literally well over $500 that were spent altogether) and no one has yet owned up to it. I had one until I got this lovely Air Force related one from GiP...but it still references my previous MLP related av from TFR.

What he said :(

I am definitely not animu. As soon as it completely blows over in TFR, maybe I will get something more/less disturbing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What's less disturbing than tits?

Oh, right, tits with a horn.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

'Raptorfag' did it in the Australian Politics thread in D&D. Can't vouch for TFR or anywhere else though.

Back to trains.. Over in the USA, what experience do you guys have with ECP braking?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
We have guidelines for running ECP trains. The only ECP trains we have are rare unit trains of all the same kind of car. I haven't seen one for a couple years now. I have seen even less of the ECP retrofit boxes on top of any of the control stands in a while either.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

We have guidelines for running ECP trains. The only ECP trains we have are rare unit trains of all the same kind of car. I haven't seen one for a couple years now. I have seen even less of the ECP retrofit boxes on top of any of the control stands in a while either.

Those ECP are in the south... They are interchanged with the NS... I think its ZLANO or something along those lines. Its just a stacker, I think there is like 6 train sets or so. I think its like 12 or so 7000's that have the control stands on them.

Ok, I just got back into the chair after a 3 year absence and is it just me or the newer SD70ACe's don't grip the rail worth a poo poo?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
On our mountainous district we only hate the ride, not the power they provide. Under heavy heavy loads and configured in DP they are just fine crawling up the hill for 4 hours at 14mph.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How do the traction motors/engine not overheat like crazy when pulling such heavy loads at low speed?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They have dedicated fans.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nerobro posted:

They have dedicated fans.

Huge ones. I remember as a kid standing on a footbridge that preceded the nicer, protected bike bridge to Elliot Bay Park in Seattle back in the late 80's. It was just an open metal grille bridge without even so much as a handrail and I stood on it as a large freight configuration went under, the power of the fans blasting upward at me enamored me with trains for the rest of my childhood.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Das Volk posted:

Huge ones. I remember as a kid standing on a footbridge that preceded the nicer, protected bike bridge to Elliot Bay Park in Seattle back in the late 80's. It was just an open metal grille bridge without even so much as a handrail and I stood on it as a large freight configuration went under, the power of the fans blasting upward at me enamored me with trains for the rest of my childhood.
A bit of a "Seven Year Itch" situation for you ;)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The fans on top are for the engine radiators and dynamic brakes, aren't they?

I thought the traction motor cooling fans were just gigantic squirrel cages mounted right on the bogie, presumably blasting out the bottom or side or something.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

The fans on top are for the engine radiators and dynamic brakes, aren't they?

I thought the traction motor cooling fans were just gigantic squirrel cages mounted right on the bogie, presumably blasting out the bottom or side or something.

The fans on top are radiators. The fans for the traction motors are mounted on the body, and blow down to the traction motors. IIRC. Their intakes are inside the body at least.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
An incident with a production gang...two fatalities.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
One of the cool things I've seen working on a tie gang, these guys are nuts. Its interesting to watch them get up on the cars and move around, but it sure beats unloading all those ties with a grapple truck!

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Last one for today, hy-railing through the southwest, sure is nice out there.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That somehow looks like a model or a set.

Cool picture though.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm assuming the two fatalities were the engineer and fireman?

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

McDeth posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm assuming the two fatalities were the engineer and fireman?

Conductor and Engineer, The train hit the rider cars which were stopped at 45 mph. I never heard the full story so the only thing I can assume is a switch was either not lined or switched from power to hand and never thrown back.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Nerobro posted:

The fans on top are radiators. The fans for the traction motors are mounted on the body, and blow down to the traction motors. IIRC. Their intakes are inside the body at least.
There is one other big fan. The mother of all fans. It is the dynamic braking grid fan. It is basically a 300-400 horsepower electric motor connected to what is basically the compressor fan from a jet engine. When modulating the dynamic brake effort it sounds like someone modulating the throttle on a jet engine.

Conductor and Engineer, The train hit the rider cars which were stopped at 45 mph. I never heard the full story so the only thing I can assume is a switch was either not lined or switched from power to hand and never thrown back.
This is one of 5 rear end incidents in 2011 that were as a result of train crews violating the very strict rule of "restricted speed".

"Restricted speed" is a rule written in blood. It is moving your train at a speed not to exceed 20 MPH but as slow as you need to go to be able to stop quickly to avoid switches lined the wrong way, derail devices, red flags, men, equipment, landslides, the rear end of other trains, even missing bridges, missing track, broken rail, a train or lading wrecked from one track over and onto your track.

If it as at night, foggy, a curve with terrain or anything else blocking your view, restricted speed could be less than 1 mph. If there is any question as to your ability to stop, then you may have the conductor walk ahead to ensure the way is clear and then bring you ahead, even if it is miles.

Failures to adhere to this rule resulted in these 5 incidents. Two of the incidents resulted in in the two man crew being killed (4 fatalities). At least one of the other incidents resulted in injuries and one of the incidents had no injuries.

The FRA has done a review and has required that additional training and testing on restricted speed will continue to be done. Failure of even one of these tests can result in being pulled from service/suspension of licenses.

A simple lapse of judgement, situational awareness, or distraction while moving a train at restricted speed can end your life or the lives of others. At any given moment day or night, there are probably 100 trains moving at restricted speed. Many/most of these trains are hauling hazardous materials in populated areas.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

B4Ctom1 posted:

There is one other big fan. The mother of all fans. It is the dynamic braking grid fan. It is basically a 300-400 horsepower electric motor connected to what is basically the compressor fan from a jet engine. When modulating the dynamic brake effort it sounds like someone modulating the throttle on a jet engine.

This is one of 5 rear end incidents in 2011 that were as a result of train crews violating the very strict rule of "restricted speed".

"Restricted speed" is a rule written in blood. It is moving your train at a speed not to exceed 20 MPH but as slow as you need to go to be able to stop quickly to avoid switches lined the wrong way, derail devices, red flags, men, equipment, landslides, the rear end of other trains, even missing bridges, missing track, broken rail, a train or lading wrecked from one track over and onto your track.

If it as at night, foggy, a curve with terrain or anything else blocking your view, restricted speed could be less than 1 mph. If there is any question as to your ability to stop, then you may have the conductor walk ahead to ensure the way is clear and then bring you ahead, even if it is miles.

Failures to adhere to this rule resulted in these 5 incidents. Two of the incidents resulted in in the two man crew being killed (4 fatalities). At least one of the other incidents resulted in injuries and one of the incidents had no injuries.

The FRA has done a review and has required that additional training and testing on restricted speed will continue to be done. Failure of even one of these tests can result in being pulled from service/suspension of licenses.

A simple lapse of judgement, situational awareness, or distraction while moving a train at restricted speed can end your life or the lives of others. At any given moment day or night, there are probably 100 trains moving at restricted speed. Many/most of these trains are hauling hazardous materials in populated areas.

I understand the restricted speeds, as with TERMSD, and stopping in half the range of vision, I've put a few slow orders out there and ran trains through my B's at restricted speeds. I just never heard the whole story, we don't hear much about the transportation side of things.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Do Locomotives have to rev up the engine when the notch up in dynamic braking? Like if you went from notch 8 forward to dynamic, would you have to notch to 0, then hit the dynamic braking lever, and then back to 8?

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

ijustam posted:

Do Locomotives have to rev up the engine when the notch up in dynamic braking? Like if you went from notch 8 forward to dynamic, would you have to notch to 0, then hit the dynamic braking lever, and then back to 8?

Don't quote me, but the notches for DB are a little different. Traction motors effectively turn (when powering) electrical energy into kinetic, they work backwards in dynamic brake, basically becoming giant generators.

Unfortunately most (if not all) of the electrical energy is just dumped across resistors, resulting in gigantic amounts of heat, so unless the engine needs to spool up to run the cooling for the DB grid, I don't see why the engine would necessarily need to run up. Makes sense though that they'd use the energy generated from the dynamic brake to run the DB cooling fans though.

So in short, no, I don't believe the engine needs to spool up when in dynamic brake.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Furloughed again. Almost six years and I can't hold a job. Oh well, I'm a big fan of the time off. Hope it lasts for another year. Toot toot.

ran trains through my B's at restricted speeds.

Why would you run a crew through at restricted speed? That's just setting a brother up for a decert and some time off.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 12, 2012

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Canna Happy posted:

Furloughed again. Almost six years and I can't hold a job. Oh well, I'm a big fan of the time off. Hope it lasts for another year. Toot toot.

Why would you run a crew through at restricted speed? That's just setting a brother up for a decert and some time off.

Because men and equipment on the other track, run them through at 40mph on tangent and 25 on curve. Its in the MWOR. Men have to be off equipment and off the track to run at max, and that kills production when your clearing 30 trains a day.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

BlackShadow posted:

Don't quote me, but the notches for DB are a little different. Traction motors effectively turn (when powering) electrical energy into kinetic, they work backwards in dynamic brake, basically becoming giant generators.

Unfortunately most (if not all) of the electrical energy is just dumped across resistors, resulting in gigantic amounts of heat, so unless the engine needs to spool up to run the cooling for the DB grid, I don't see why the engine would necessarily need to run up. Makes sense though that they'd use the energy generated from the dynamic brake to run the DB cooling fans though.

So in short, no, I don't believe the engine needs to spool up when in dynamic brake.

The engine will actually rev up as you increase DB effort. The main alternator is used to excite the fields in the traction motors, so with more excitation you get more braking effort out of the motors. That's how I understand it at least, I'm more mechanic than electrician.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!

BlackShadow posted:

The engine will actually rev up as you increase DB effort. The main alternator is used to excite the fields in the traction motors, so with more excitation you get more braking effort out of the motors. That's how I understand it at least, I'm more mechanic than electrician. Also I'm talking about GE 4400s/EVOs, I don't know much about GMs.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

Is the high pitched "jet engine" sound in this video what you're referring to? I always thought it was turbocharger noise.

Still amazingly cool.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Because men and equipment on the other track, run them through at 40mph on tangent and 25 on curve. Its in the MWOR. Men have to be off equipment and off the track to run at max, and that kills production when your clearing 30 trains a day.

Ah yeah, I thought you were talking about 6.27

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Canna Happy posted:

6.27 has become a huge issue on our service unit... But yet again, we are pretty much in the shitter in terms of de-certs and "human" factor derailments. So we get to shove all long draw bars to a joint, then the next car on top of that long draw bar has to be made to a joint.

We are a flat switching yard with a kick rear end bowl (seriously some awesome engineering went into this yard). Normally kicking cars, we could easily switch out around 400 cars a shift. Now we are lucky to break 200... talk about boring as gently caress.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Canna Happy posted:

If it was up to me I would run you guys at max. Makes it easier for the DS and the crews. Then gets you outta the limits faster.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

Last one for today, hy-railing through the southwest, sure is nice out there.

Where's this at? I just bid a position down in Flagstaff.

Supposed to be awarded on Thursday but I doubt I'll be so lucky. Who wouldn't want to be a one man shop in a place like that? Especially a new position with a new truck and new tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

spipedong posted:

Where's this at? I just bid a position down in Flagstaff.

Supposed to be awarded on Thursday but I doubt I'll be so lucky. Who wouldn't want to be a one man shop in a place like that? Especially a new position with a new truck and new tools.

This was close to that. PM me if you can. Sounds like your in mechcanical?