Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not all that familiar with the prestige classes- what would be the right build if you were going to play Tsukiko? Is there some kind of "make lots of undead" prestige class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not all that familiar with the prestige classes- what would be the right build if you were going to play Tsukiko? Is there some kind of "make lots of undead" prestige class?

Mystic Theurge is a prestige class you can take as a multiclassed Arcane/Divine caster. It's what Tsukiko was. Positives: Extra low level spells from both your base classes. Negatives: Terribly stunted spell advancement, awful attacks, bad saves, no bonus feats, everything else.

True Necromancer is a another prestige class available to Arcane/Divine multiclassed casters. Positives: Shitloads of low levels spells, Wizard bonus feats and Cleric powers keep leveling, special powers neither Necromancer Wizards or Unholy Clerics get access to, and you can control something to the tune of 12 times the normal amount of Undead. All around baller as gently caress.

Negatives: Slightly slower advancement to high level spells.

Tsukiko was retarded.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Pope Guilty posted:

You want the Dread Necromancer class, which lets you command and construct unusually powerful undead. Stack the right items and you can be commanding 700 hitdice of undead under your personal authority, all with bonuses from being constructed by you. Spare undead can be left uncontrolled and kept in boxes to be released in time of war for reinforcements or just to run wild--they keep the bonuses to strength, dex, and hit points for being created by the DN. They get bonuses to save against negative energy (that woulda been useful, huh!) and her charisma would act as a bonus to the number of undead she'd command. Also, she'd rebuke undead as a cleric, and get some random, kinda terrible additional abilities. Also at level 20 they become a (fake)lich, that's nice.

Downside is the Dread Necromancer gets a pretty thin on the ground spell list--nothing weak, exactly? But when wizards and sorcerers can learn any spell and do any thing, being restricted to a selection of poison, death, and disease spells stings. At least there's a wide selection of save or die spells.

There are a few fun tricks you can do--make undead rats, have them blow up dealing a few hundred d6 of negative energy damage at minimal cost. Awaken Undead lets the undead have the racial abilities they had in life--dwarven trapfinding skeletons and kobold trapsetting zombies have a nice little ying-yang thing going on. And like any caster, make it a Dread Necromancer / Incantrix and all these tricks can be maximized at basically no cost.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuchulain posted:

Mystic Theurge is a prestige class you can take as a multiclassed Arcane/Divine caster. It's what Tsukiko was. Positives: Extra low level spells from both your base classes. Negatives: Terribly stunted spell advancement, awful attacks, bad saves, no bonus feats, everything else.

True Necromancer is a another prestige class available to Arcane/Divine multiclassed casters. Positives: Shitloads of low levels spells, Wizard bonus feats and Cleric powers keep leveling, special powers neither Necromancer Wizards or Unholy Clerics get access to, and you can control something to the tune of 12 times the normal amount of Undead. All around baller as gently caress.

Negatives: Slightly slower advancement to high level spells.

Tsukiko was retarded.
And True Necromancer is a terrible prestige class for that reason, you're only going to hit level 7 and 6 spells and only a few of them. Most of the worthwhile undead raising spells are high level too, especially things that let you revive powerful humanoids or many hitdie monsters. Mystic Theurge will let you hit level 9 on one side easily and on both sides with minor shenanigens.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
It' clear that Xykon is suspicious of Redcloak already, and moreover, Xykon is smarter/more aware than he lets on (never mistake not knowing for not caring). Even if Redcloak comes up with a completely plausible explanation on Tsutsiko's death with no contradicting evidence, Xykon will likely still be suspicious.

However, he will still think he needs Redcloak.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ahhh, you people are really bad, all Redcloak has to do is say "What do you mean she's gone?"

No need for anything more elaborate then that, just a "What she's not here?"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bluff isn't a class skill for (most) clerics, he will presumably bomb the living hell out of that.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cabbit posted:

Bluff isn't a class skill for (most) clerics, he will presumably bomb the living hell out of that.

Well what will he bomb the most out of y'think? "Oh Tsuikoku? Yeah I saw her chasing after the resistance guys, i'm sure she'll be back soon!"

or

"I don't care." or even "What? She's gone? Huh."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Affi posted:

Well what will he bomb the most out of y'think? "Oh Tsuikoku? Yeah I saw her chasing after the resistance guys, i'm sure she'll be back soon!"

or

"I don't care." or even "What? She's gone? Huh."
I think someone mentioned that the idea that he fed her to her own ghouls would be amusing enough that Xykon wouldn't care about the details. So lying may not even be necessary.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wights people. She got fed to her own wights. Ghouls are piddly little two hit dice creatures that paralyze you on touch, and can't affect elves when they do. Wights are more than twice as tough and drain levels from you on touch. If they kill you like that, you become a wight yourself, which is also why Redcloak added the devour the corpse line...not only to destroy the evidence, but because if he didn't Tsukiko would have gotten back up in 1d4 rounds as another wight herself.

Which leads to me another important point. We seem to be forgetting Isamu the Ex-Reisistance wight rogue. Who could have been hidden and watching all this the whole time and even now be scurrying off to report what happened to Xykon. After all, we've proven with Niu's escape that Redcloak's Spot is for rear end, probably because of the one eye penalty.

So there's still the possibility that Xykon's going to know what the deal is if Isamu tells him.

And yeah, I know that Belkar put Isamu down, but we saw Isamu the wight hanging with the rest of the wight crew outside of Tsukiko's chambers when MitD came calling, so presumably she re-reanimated him after the fight.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The mystery reward for everyone donating $10 is a new Julio Scoundrel story (on top of How the paladin got his scar and backer sponsored stories).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zore posted:

And True Necromancer is a terrible prestige class for that reason, you're only going to hit level 7 and 6 spells and only a few of them. Most of the worthwhile undead raising spells are high level too, especially things that let you revive powerful humanoids or many hitdie monsters. Mystic Theurge will let you hit level 9 on one side easily and on both sides with minor shenanigens.
On the other hand you lose everything other than spellcasting progression. Your undead turning ability will stagnate and become useless, and as Redcloak has just shown that's pretty handy. It's even useful for supporting your own already-controlled undead in some situations.

If you really have to have both full arcane and divine spellcasting what you want to do is somehow cheat the entry requirements for the Beholder Mage prestige class, which is only available to beholders but gives you DOUBLE spellcasting progression. Yes, one level of it gives you the equivalent of two levels of a spellcasting class. (Because being a Beholder at all means you're fairly high level to start, so if they're ever going to get the high-level spells they need to cheat like this.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I thought the best way to do the Arcane/Divine Caster Build was Wizard/Ur-Preist/Mystic Theurge. At least thats what you do if you want the full cleric/wizard list. There are boatloads of ways to get 9th level Bard and Druid combos.

Edit: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

here's a list of ways to do double 9th level spells by 20

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mostly I just wanted to bring up the very :psyduck: Beholder Mage PrC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zereth posted:

On the other hand you lose everything other than spellcasting progression. Your undead turning ability will stagnate and become useless, and as Redcloak has just shown that's pretty handy. It's even useful for supporting your own already-controlled undead in some situations.

If you really have to have both full arcane and divine spellcasting what you want to do is somehow cheat the entry requirements for the Beholder Mage prestige class, which is only available to beholders but gives you DOUBLE spellcasting progression. Yes, one level of it gives you the equivalent of two levels of a spellcasting class. (Because being a Beholder at all means you're fairly high level to start, so if they're ever going to get the high-level spells they need to cheat like this.)

Turn undead is incredibly situational, note that this is about the first time we've seen it seriously used and there are two Clerics as main cast members. Now, there are a ton of ways to abuse the poo poo out of turn undead by using it to power certain expensive metamagics, particularly persist which lets all those tasty 1/round per level and 1/minute per level spells last 24 hours. Clerics have a lot of really, really good short term melee buffs.

However, since nobody in the comic is ever going to use them for that just prestiging out is not really a bad thing. Even if Tsukiko had stayed a full cleric, she wouldn't have been able to stop Redcloak from murdering her because his Turn Undead is way more powerful than hers would be.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What? Turn undead saw a lot of use in the Azure City siege. It was even a plot point.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
^^^ drat you, I was sourcing :argh:

Zore posted:

Turn undead is incredibly situational, note that this is about the first time we've seen it seriously used and there are two Clerics as main cast members. Now, there are a ton of ways to abuse the poo poo out of turn undead by using it to power certain expensive metamagics, particularly persist which lets all those tasty 1/round per level and 1/minute per level spells last 24 hours. Clerics have a lot of really, really good short term melee buffs.

Second time, technically - during the attack on Soon's Gate, Redcloak and Jirix used their Rebuke Undead ability to turn positive energy spirits in the same way Turn Undead destroys regular undead.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would like to see the wight that has just eaten two other wights that have just eaten a woman.

Or no, I don't want to see it. But I can't stop thinking of it either...

So they're like any married couple, then.
VVVVVVVV

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 26, 2012

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really hoping the comic keeps focused on Redcloak and Xykon awhile longer. Considering the events of Start of Darkness, it seemed like Redcloak talking about being the one in control and having Xykon on a leash is something he's trying to convince himself of more than something he really believes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nenonen posted:

I would like to see the wight that has just eaten two other wights that have just eaten a woman.

Wight of Holding.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Holy crap Burlew's on a roll this week!

Edit: Who the hell is Berlew, I have no idea!

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 26, 2012

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I have to say that it is pretty convenient the way all the goblins that knew of Redcloack's incredibly risky plan keep getting killed by other people just as they outlive their usefulness.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
Man, I'm really enjoying the pace that Rich has going on with his strip releases lately. Also, I'm guessing Redcloak isn't going to ever have to think about explaining Tsukiko, as once Xykon gets the fake phylactery (assuming he doesn't realize it's a fake), they're probably hitting the road for the next gate immediately.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Huh. So there's no way at all for a lich to recognise its own philactery from a copy when the only difference is the lack of the soul? Seems a little odd to me, but I'm not a D&D guru.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Huh. So there's no way at all for a lich to recognise its own philactery from a copy when the only difference is the lack of the soul? Seems a little odd to me, but I'm not a D&D guru.

I don't think there's anything other than appearance for them to go off of.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Any magical spells he might try to use to probe it would fail because it's got a thousand-and-one anti-detection spells cast on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'm assuming his busting his rear end to get the strips out while the Kickstarter's going, so he can maintain the momentum. Either that, or he's hit a stretch where his health issues are in remission for the moment.

Either way, enjoy it for as long as it lasts, because I doubt he can maintain this pace indefinitely.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

NihilCredo posted:

Xykon isn't the brightest bulb (He's a sorceror after all).

Redcloak has some balls on him though.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Is the copy also a holy symbol? Becuase it would be really awkward if at some point Xykon expects Redcloak to cast a spell with it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

The Rooster posted:

Is the copy also a holy symbol? Becuase it would be really awkward if at some point Xykon expects Redcloak to cast a spell with it.

Probably. IIRC there's no ritual or special thing you have to do to make a holy symbol "yours". You just use it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Rooster posted:

It should be - when Redcloak lost the Phylactery to begin with, he went to his study to pick up his backup holy symbol. Now he's back with his original holy symbol, but the backup should still work fine.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

The problem being that if he goes back to wearing the "phylactery", then he would be expected to cast spells with it, and not his backup, that might be suspiscious.

Of course, if all three things are Holy Symbols, and you don't need to do anything special to make an object a Holy Symbol, then he's in the clear, with respect to this at least.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder if that last spell he didn't get to cast will come back to bit him in the rear end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Man, I'm really enjoying the pace that Rich has going on with his strip releases lately. Also, I'm guessing Redcloak isn't going to ever have to think about explaining Tsukiko, as once Xykon gets the fake phylactery (assuming he doesn't realize it's a fake), they're probably hitting the road for the next gate immediately.

Well all of this has been set up well in advance, so I imagine Rich has had this set of strips forming in the back of his head since whenever the last time we saw the resistance was (what, a year ago?)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cliff Racer posted:

I wonder if that last spell he didn't get to cast will come back to bit him in the rear end.

He wasn't interrupted, there were still more stairs. It was simply cut off to indicate that he was going to be doing that for a little while.

Or that's how I read it!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

He wasn't interrupted, there were still more stairs. It was simply cut off to indicate that he was going to be doing that for a little while.

Or that's how I read it!

Same here.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah that makes sense, I thought the crash was interrupting him but it turns out that it was in the next panel over.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

The Rooster posted:

Of course, if all three things are Holy Symbols, and you don't need to do anything special to make an object a Holy Symbol, then he's in the clear, with respect to this at least.

A Holy Symbol is just that, like a Christian cross and so on are symbols of real-world religions.

This is equivalent to him losing his cross/etc, getting a slightly different model that he was wearing for a little while (the back-up holy symbol), but now getting an identical copy of the first sort.

The only difference mechanically is that one's also a phylactery and the other isn't.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I love the joke about it having "Exactly the same scratches. Exactly as I remembered it" when the panel depicts the usual MSpaint-level dongles.

I hope we get through the rest of this side arc before the pace slows back down, because these last few strips have been really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

NihilCredo posted:

His soul isn't in there now. His soul retreats there when his undead body is destroyed, then proceeds to regenerate a new one for his soul to inhabit.