Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

WMain00 posted:

Honestly anachronox is an instant buy for me. I did have it installed not that long ago but the build was pretty crashy. Hopefully the gog version will be fine.
The unofficial later patches improved stability a lot. I was able to run everything great in the last one except for Doorlord, who would crash as soon as he fired up some attack he performs at 50% health. I modded his script to not cast that and then it crashed after I beat him so gently caress it.

quote:

Either way, Anachronox is a game you play for the writing, and... that's about it.
I dunno, the art was pretty impressive too, except for the stupid desert mission. Hephaestus was particularly good. It's really a well-done game in every department except for the combat, problem of course being the combat is a really big chunk of what you spend the game doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

OneEightHundred posted:

The unofficial later patches improved stability a lot. I was able to run everything great in the last one except for Doorlord, who would crash as soon as he fired up some attack he performs at 50% health. I modded his script to not cast that and then it crashed after I beat him so gently caress it.

I dunno, the art was pretty impressive too, except for the stupid desert mission. Hephaestus was particularly good. It's really a well-done game in every department except for the combat, problem of course being the combat is a really big chunk of what you spend the game doing.

I love how Anachronox has that "Use World Object" command or whatever during the fights, to flip switches and whatnot, and as I recall, literally the only time you can actually use it is during the tutorial for it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Crappy Jack posted:

I love how Anachronox has that "Use World Object" command or whatever during the fights, to flip switches and whatnot, and as I recall, literally the only time you can actually use it is during the tutorial for it.
There's exactly one other place it's useful: The boss at the end of Mysterium Lavant (the Hephaestus dungeon), where there are some switches that cause heavy damage to the boss when used.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Songbearer posted:

However, unlike Icarus, who fell out of the skies due to flying too close the the sun, these games were taken out around the back of the house and shot in the head because nobody wanted to pay attention to them. If it helps, the people who made those games were probably crying when they did it.

At least they cared about their product which is more than you can say about 90% of devs now. I would gladly play an experimental game that's not very good but has something super awesome to me than a super produced type thing. It just feels more genuine to me. I hate elitist stuff like that, but that's how I feel.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My favorite detail about Anachronox is how Sly Boots has some gum permanently stuck to the bottom of his shoe. You can only ever see it by carefully positioning the camera during the run animation, but it's just there. He stepped in some gum. I still can't decide if that's a gumshoe pun or if it's just funny that he's too out of it and lazy to clean his drat shoe.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
So this was posted on their Facebook:
"In just twelve hours two classic heroes from our new publisher will join GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap. Hero 1 is a futuristic freedom fighter and hero 2 is a stealthy assassin. The image is a reference to one of them but tells you who the other is ... What kind of hero will you be in 12 hours?"
The image is this:

The barcode decodes to 33.22 -97.13 which is the location for Denton, Texas.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jvempire posted:

So this was posted on their Facebook:
"In just twelve hours two classic heroes from our new publisher will join GOG.com - DRM-free classic PC games. Cheap. Hero 1 is a futuristic freedom fighter and hero 2 is a stealthy assassin. The image is a reference to one of them but tells you who the other is ... What kind of hero will you be in 12 hours?"
The image is this:

The barcode decodes to 33.22 -97.13 which is the location for Denton, Texas.

I am glad to see Eidos join them, but I really hope the first two games are not Deus Ex and Hitman. I already both on Steam, so it's the least interesting games to put up on day one.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Rirse posted:

I am glad to see Eidos join them, but I really hope the first two games are not Deus Ex and Hitman. I already both on Steam, so it's the least interesting games to put up on day one.
It really looks like the starting games will be Deus Ex and Hitman, which is disappointing. I was hoping Thief would be an opening game, but oh well. I'm still wondering if SE is going on too...

edit: On the other hand I wonder what extras Deus Ex will come with?

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 26, 2012

jvempire
May 10, 2009
All that matters is that by the time the xmas sale comes along again the game you wanted will probably be on the site by then, and they will be also be cheaper.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hah, that's pretty clever. A bar code for Hitman, and Denton for Deus Ex. Too bad I already have them on Steam. Maybe I'll buy them on GOG if they have some nice extras.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd say Deus Ex for sure. Do you guys know if the PC port of Soul Reaver was any good? I have some serious nostalgia for the Dreamcast version.

The PC version is a port of the PlayStation version. Just play the Dreamcast one, it's the best by far.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At the very least they should come with the soundtracks.

Hitman's first soundtrack is pretty good, with Hitman 2's being much better.

Deus Ex's soundtrack isn't as good, but I like it because it's reflective of PC game music of the time (IMO), especially for Unreal Engine games. It has that synthy Unreal Engine sound, and I think the sound format for Unreal was sort of like MIDI that included its own sound font, a bunch of sounds and instructions for how they should be played. The remix album, The Long Night, is a pretty good listen for fans of the game.

If Omikron shows up, you're in for a major treat, especially if they can get the David Bowie songs to be included (doubt it). The bitrate of these was fairly low, though.

Startopia has around six tracks, and they're all excellent, poppy, and upbeat.

Anachronox has a lot of music, and quite a bit of variety in it. Top picks for me are the track that plays when Stiletto shows up, and the unexpected jazzy piano suite in Hephaestus.

Seriously, this destination is a holy place, it's taken you hours to get here, one of the most important parts of the game... and you're greeted by monks hawking crap in a carnival overlooking a volcano and a jaunty, jazzy piano.

Just some really great music all around.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
There's a few gems in the Deus Ex soundtrack. This my personal favorite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-h2aNrzNA , especially since it goes so well in the Morpheus scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw (warning: major spoilers).

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
Guess I'm going to buy deus ex, for a third time. :sigh:

jvempire posted:

There's a few gems in the Deus Ex soundtrack. This my personal favorite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-h2aNrzNA , especially since it goes so well in the Morpheus scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw (warning: major spoilers).

This one gets me everytime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJUsOP0T1o. Spoilers obviously

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Coulis, I've always loved that track.

Along with it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTvHsHx4TM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqDUPHk-k8 are my favorite tracks. (probably some spoilers for both of these..if nothing else in the youtube comments)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Well that sucks. Deus Ex? Hitman? Really Gog? You'd have to be living under a goddamn cave to not have a copy of both.

Give me my Anachronox! :black101:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah I was hoping for thief and anachronox today, next tuesday hopefully? Glad they have these guys onboard though.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Rabhadh posted:

Yeah I was hoping for thief and anachronox today, next tuesday hopefully? Glad they have these guys onboard though.

They always draw out the ones people really, really want for a week or two.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Official announcement of Square-Enix on GOG with the first games being Hitman and Deus Ex.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

$9.99 for Deus Ex is simply too much. Unjustifiable given the age and that it has been available for cheaper from other sources. Sorry GOG, I love you guys but that price is too much, sirs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

$9.99 for Deus Ex is simply too much. Unjustifiable given the age and that it has been available for cheaper from other sources. Sorry GOG, I love you guys but that price is too much, sirs.
Steam, Direct2Drive/GameFly, Impulse and GamersGate all sell the game at the same price, give or take a few cents.

Also, you know, if any game on GOG is worth the higher price tag it's Deus Ex.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

But that's the same price as it is on Steam :confused: Plus you get all those GOG freebies for the same price.
Granted, I already have it on Steam so I won't buy the GOG version yet but once it goes on sale I probably will, just for the extras as well as having a DRM-free version backed up somewhere.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

AxeManiac posted:

Anachronox was a lot more interesting to me as a concept than a game.

This pretty much describes the entire Eidos library.

I mean, it could be worse (at least there's more variety than LucasArts), but all of Eidos's games have this weird sort of pastel-smelling ennui surrounding them. They're not bad games, just somewhat dull and lifeless. If someone describes the basic game mechanics of Hitman or Gangsters, it sounds really intriguing, but once you realize they're talking about Hitman or Gangsters, you either lose your game-boner or you play the game and then lose your game-boner. It's difficult to put into words - it's just really hard to get excited over a single game in their catalog.

Besides Daikatana, of course. :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I knew my post was going to be unpopular, but hey. I'll probably get it at the sale price. Thing is, I bought a hardcopy for about half that amount :|

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

BadAstronaut posted:

I knew my post was going to be unpopular, but hey. I'll probably get it at the sale price. Thing is, I bought a hardcopy for about half that amount :|

I think I paid $10 for my non-GOTY edition a decade ago, then I picked it up again on Steam for $2.50 on sale. I'm with you that this is absurdly overpriced, but it's $10 or $6 baseline at GOG as it is.

Here's hoping they bring DaiKatana though. I tried the game once and it was a crashy mess of a game that was impossible to play. Using their wizardy, I'd pay... maybe $3 on sale for it if it worked. For all the flack is totally deserves, its ambition was unheard of at the time. Each new area has entirely different texture and enemy sets, not just palette swaps.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I just don't understand why they would lead with 2 games that regularly drop to 2.50 on Steam. How could they possibly stay competitive like that? Is it the publisher trying to figure out exactly how much they can milk out of those games before putting up stuff that people actually don't have/want?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Yay, games that are already out elsewhere. :sigh: I thought this would happen.

Call me when you release something not already on Steam, GoG. :colbert:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Deus Ex is easily worth $10, the problem is that everyone who wants it already bought it on Steam for $2.50. Ditto Hitman.

This is a really puzzling choice to open with when Eidos has loads of games that people want that aren't already easily available on Steam.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

This pretty much describes the entire Eidos library.

I mean, it could be worse (at least there's more variety than LucasArts), but all of Eidos's games have this weird sort of pastel-smelling ennui surrounding them. They're not bad games, just somewhat dull and lifeless.

:psyduck: Are you seriously describing Thief and Deus Ex as "dull and lifeless"?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Deus Ex is easily worth $10,

Yes, yes, I never doubted that

ToxicFrog posted:

the problem is that everyone who wants it already bought it on Steam for $2.50.

This is what I am getting at. You could buy it on Steam for stupid cheap, or get it on disc for maybe $5-ish YEARS ago.

So, yes:

Dear GOG,

You're awesome and I love you. But please don't release stuff that is and has been available elsewhere, with a higher asking price than many of us have already paid for the games.

Love,
BadAstronaut

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love the end of the email I got about the new games up. "Stay tuned! More Square Enix classics to follow!", you know SE classics like Deus Ex!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eh, I'll buy these two when they go on sale eventually...in the mean time, I'm gonna buy myself Syndicate.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I think the only things I am *really* looking forward to is:

1. Privateer 2
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Quest for Glory series
4. [help me out here goons, what else?]

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BadAstronaut posted:

1. Privateer 2

Speaking of... Are the first 2 Wing Commander worth playing through as more than historical curiosities or should I just jump into Wing Commander 3/Privateer? I remember playing Wing Commander 1 a while ago and being too distracted by everything being sprites and the cockpit being huge and constantly crashing into the mothership because trying to "land" on the right part of a huge sprite is stupid.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BadAstronaut posted:

Dear GOG,

You're awesome and I love you. But please don't release stuff that is and has been available elsewhere, with a higher asking price than many of us have already paid for the games.

Love,
BadAstronaut

I got Deus Ex for free, actually. I never paid a single cent for my copy of the game! How did I get away with such trickery? It came on the first DVD issue of Computer Gaming World. Yup, they included the full game as an advertisement for the second Deus Ex game.

I miss those days of computer magazines.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Al! posted:

Speaking of... Are the first 2 Wing Commander worth playing as more than historical curiosities or should I just jump into Wing Commander 3/Privateer? I remember playing Wing Commander 1 a while ago and being too distracted by everything being sprites and the cockpit being huge and constantly crashing into the mothership because trying to "land" on the right part of a huge sprite is stupid.

I say skip them and go onto 3 first. If you really love the game world go back and play them. They are still playable, I beat them last year. They also give you some background on the characters in the later games, but I didn't really mind missing those beats when I played 3 ages ago around the time it came out and my computer could barely handle it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

BadAstronaut posted:

1. Privateer 2
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Quest for Glory series
4. [help me out here goons, what else?]

Thief 1/2, Legacy of Kain series, the old Tomb Raider games, Anachronox, Omikron, Revenant, Carmageddon series (I think), Daikatana if you like ambitious-but-heavily-flawed shooters, Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move series (Square-Enix owns Taito!), and probably at least a couple more that I can't think of.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Is Deus Ex available on any other DD site with a lower set base price than $10? It seems to be the RRP on the major services I've looked at. Because I'd imagine SE had some input on the pricing and comparing it to retail copies or Steam sales is just silly. And with Deus Ex in their most requested top ten and Hitman being a high profile series leading with those two as publisher launch titles really isn't much of a surprise.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've said it before, but the Eidos game I absolutely most want to see on GOG is Startopia. It runs great on modern machines, has barely aged (beyond the lack of native widescreen support), and is seriously one of the best 'light' management games ever. Great art direction, music and writing too.

It's a classic that just failed to sell, so if it pops up on GOG, I'm going to beat you all with a sock full of pennies until you buy it. I promise there will be few regrets!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lame, two games I already have elsewhere. Knowing our luck next week, we will get Deus Ex 2 followed by Flora's Fruit Farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm tempted to buy Deus Ex and write something in their forums about how I can't get on the boat.