Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I really hate panel quizzes, and dislike the new Room 101, which used to be some decent inoffensive fluff with occasional brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ep_d_LrMY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Howards Bellend posted:

I don't think it really worked as nothing of substance was really said about any of the topics.

Modern television in a nutshell.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I watched 30 seconds of some woman talking about how she hated homework and turned it off in disgust.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Howards Bellend posted:

I didn't like the new Room 101. Much prefered the old format where the guests were given time to actually have a discussion about what they chose and why with the presenter, and you maybe learnt some interesting things about them and heard some interesting opinions. Making it into a competition meant it was basically sound bite followed by Frank Skinner commenting followed by another sound bite, then on to the next person. I don't think it really worked as nothing of substance was really said about any of the topics.

Fern Britton bombed as well.

Although on the positive side I thought the sky planner had said Fearne Cotton so I was about to turn it over

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Leyburn posted:

I watched 30 seconds of some woman talking about how she hated homework and turned it off in disgust.

She also tried to get the entirety of the Science Fiction genre in, by stating that 'It's not real! It's just silly!'.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

NaDy posted:

She also tried to get the entirety of the Science Fiction genre in, by stating that 'It's not real! It's just silly!'.

Stephen Fry did call her a 'fatuous bint'. Looks like he was right again.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The new Room 101 felt really obviously staged and scripted. Maybe it was just what I saw, I ended up turning it off. Not that it wasn't scripted before, but the old format felt much more like an informal chat between funny people, the new way of doing it was just stilted and cold.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
The Nick Hancock version of Room 101 was my favourite one (does that make me really old?), it was much better than Paul Mertons run. I haven't watched the new one yet but I'm not holding out much hope.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Anything with Frank Skinner is terrible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

lazyjane posted:

The Nick Hancock version of Room 101 was my favourite one (does that make me really old?), it was much better than Paul Mertons run. I haven't watched the new one yet but I'm not holding out much hope.

Didn't Dara O'Brien do it for a while too?

Love Like Blood posted:

This is just wrong.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Don't really know why they had to shake up the format. Frank Skinner's had his own interview shows, so the original 'interview with a gimmick' style would have probably worked quite well.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

lazyjane posted:

The Nick Hancock version of Room 101 was my favourite one (does that make me really old?), it was much better than Paul Mertons run.

I entirely agree. With Nick it was a comedy chat about some stuff that got on peoples nerves, with Paul Merton Room 101 became a gimmick with him as the custodian.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Why was Room 101 ended in the first place? It was quite an abrupt one if I recall correctly.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

DaWolfey posted:

I entirely agree. With Nick it was a comedy chat about some stuff that got on peoples nerves, with Paul Merton Room 101 became a gimmick with him as the custodian.

I agree, but Johnny Vegas was my second favourite guest ever (after Peter Cook).

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Love Like Blood posted:

His stand-up comedy isn't very good but I actually think he's pretty decent as a television presenter/host. He clearly knows how to deal with this kind of format at the very least.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe five years ago, but now he's just weird and old. Like the older he gets the more awkward it is to move his face and force out jokes.

His most recent chat show is kind of embarrassing to sit through.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just saw a minute long advert for the Beeb's natural history side which was visually a greatest hits compilation of all their footage (good) and was audually David Attenborough doing a spoken word version of "It's a Wonderful World", William Shatner style (terrible).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just saw a minute long advert for the Beeb's natural history side which was visually a greatest hits compilation of all their footage (good) and was audually David Attenborough doing a spoken word version of "It's a Wonderful World", William Shatner style (terrible).

That was great though :confused:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
2nd series of White Van Man is happening, saw the promo trailer on YouTube.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Yeah, they were filming some scenes literally around the corner from where I live. Seemed like a whole lot of malarky was going down and I even managed to see that guy from two pints of lager or whatever, a regular brush with fame.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

SeanBeansShako posted:

2nd series of White Van Man is happening, saw the promo trailer on YouTube.

Saw this too, looked awful. Was the first series good?

I ain't seen much new Frank Skinner stuff but he's always seemed like a nice guy. This is great.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
gently caress, Everybody Loves Raymond is back on again during my toast and tea 20 minutes at 8 am. I hate that show so much, everyone is just horrible.

Frasier was awsome in the morning and would sometimes make me late because I wanted to see the end of the episode, and I could more or less tolerate 'According to Jim'.

Raymond though, I hate you and your whole family.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

henpod posted:

gently caress, Everybody Loves Raymond is back on again during my toast and tea 20 minutes at 8 am. I hate that show so much, everyone is just horrible.

Frasier was awsome in the morning and would sometimes make me late because I wanted to see the end of the episode, and I could more or less tolerate 'According to Jim'.

Even Peter Boyle?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

henpod posted:

Even worse, they've stopped showing the Gilmore Girls on rotation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is anyone watching Borgen on BBC 4? Quite surprised that I've not seen it mentioned on here yet. If you haven't then you might be interested to know that it's a political drama from the same stable as The Killing, and the first six episodes are still on iPlayer for the next fortnight.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
All I've heard about Borgen is that HEY GUYS IT'S GOT PEOPLE FROM THE KILLING IN IT. Which is great, only I haven't got around to watching The Killing yet, and I haven't actually heard anyone, yourself included, actually say that it's brilliant TV that must be watched.

Everyone just keeps saying "Oh hey Borgen is on." yeah great, so's Jamie's Ice Skating Cafeteria. Sell it to us.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mr. Squishy posted:

God, yeah, that Attenborough spoken word thing was dreadful. I sort of wonder how he felt about doing it, because it was just so unbelievably crass.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

Channel 4 axes Gilmore Girls and then gives New Girl a prime time Friday night slot.

Justice! Where are you?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Al2001 posted:

Saw this too, looked awful. Was the first series good?

1st series was actually well done.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pablo Bluth posted:

gently caress, really? :( I liked having it around, love that show

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Gilmore Girls is one of those shows I used to hate because when it was on in the background it just seemed to be 'pretty girls talk really fast'. Then I started watching it out of spite to myself for some reason and now I love it :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it's very witty but you don't get that unless you actually watch it properly, I can imagine how people who have only seen bits and pieces or had it in the background would find it really annoying.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

Al2001 posted:

I ain't seen much new Frank Skinner stuff but he's always seemed like a nice guy. This is great.
Every time I see him I only think of this.

He's a smug wanker and I hate him. :colbert:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Even Peter Boyle?

Yep, his character is horrible too. I don't know why I have such a hatred for this show, it must be the early morning and prospect of work.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Cerv posted:

Skins misses the Wild World singalong from the series 1 finale.

I watched Skins on dvd (and only on dvd) and this bit was definitely there.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Love Like Blood posted:

Every time I see him I only think of this.

He's a smug wanker and I hate him. :colbert:

I dunno. I don't think you can discredit his entire body of work just because of his religious views. Frank Skinner's always amused me in a relatively clean way. I read the whole interview out of curiosity and I didn't think he came off as that smug. Just as someone who wants his views to be more widely accepted. He definitely didn't come off as smug as Dawkins does in his interviews. And I say that as an atheist.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

He also doesn't really talk about his faith in his material.

I can definitely understand why people wouldn't like him based on his 90's stand up sets which seemed to be comprised entirely of sex jokes, but as a presenter/interviewer he is incredibly witty and engaging.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Yeah, Frank Skinner has always come across as the ideal religious person. Doesn't force his views on anyone or bring it up for no reason, but never shies away from it and is totally honest about his beliefs when asked. It was in a talk on religion with the archbishop of canterbury, I don't have a problem with a religious man talking about how he believes atheists are wrong in a situation like that.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Oh my God, three people on Perfection just agreed that the Earth is the centre of the Solar Sytem.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

cloudchamber posted:

Oh my God, three people on Pointless just agreed that the Earth is the centre of the Solar Sytem.

Perfection. :eng101: I saw it too. And I thought the Million Pound Drop had the stupidest contestants :eng99: