Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

terrorist plumber posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy just came out. Pretty dense; I personally would recommend having read the book first, as it may otherwise be difficult to follow.
Three Days of the Condor (CIA circa 1970s), Black Book (WWII), Where Eagles Dare (WWII), The Ipcress File (Cold War era), are all great too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually seen most of those except Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and The Ipcress File, I'll have to check them out. The others were pretty good. Whenever I see movies like that I always end up wanting a longer movie with a denser plot, like L.A. Confidential, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just watched Tinker and all I can say is dont watch it with distractions. I literally had to start every scene over.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

penismightier posted:

IT! The Terror from Beyond Space has a classic approach, Queen of Blood has a really unique dynamic. There's also a strain of procedural space movies from the era which are way interesting and adorably earnest: Ikarie XB-1, Riders to the Stars, Destination Moon, First Man Into Space, Rocketship XM.
IT! has probably the strongest homosexual undertones of any movie I have ever seen. It's also a campy cult classic. I'm also a big fan of Asian offerings Captain Ultra and Johnny Sokko.

thehandtruck posted:

Can anyone recommend some spy movies. Cold War, real wars, whatever, I love espionage or CIA type secret poo poo. The only thing is I'm not really into film noir and I've seen all of Hitchcock's stuff. The denser the plot (I kind of like long movies too) the better.

edit: I guess also stuff like The International where there's huge corruption in banks relating to the espionage/treason blah blah blah
The Spook Who Sat By the Door and Fincher's Zodiac. Spook is a fairly under rated espionage/spy movie set in the civil rights movement, and Zodiac is praised pretty heavily by goons although IIRC did pretty poorly at the box office. Even though its about a serial killer it has the flavor of a spy film, especially how they go into some of the more conspiracy-ish angles.

edit: and if you do TV, Brit cult classic The Prisoner is super good, long and meaty.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 19, 2012

bleeding pebbles
Sep 23, 2010
Looking for 3 themes.

1) Some great character study movies

2) Documentaries that could possibly make someone cry

3) Films that will leave you cold

Character studies that I like: Taxi Driver, Revanche and Five Easy Pieces
Moives that left me cold: No Country for Old Men, Rome Open City, Chinatown

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

bleeding pebbles posted:

Project Nim, Dear Zachary, Capturing the Friedmans, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, 80 Blocks from Tiffany's

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also Hoop Dreams, When the Levees Broke, The House is Black, and Night and Fog. Two long ones and two short ones. :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

bleeding pebbles posted:

Looking for 3 themes.

For character studies similar to Taxi Driver, I'd say Raging Bull, Streetcar Named Desire, or Drive.

Films that leave you cold is an odd request, but I'd say Unforgiven or The Great Silence are similar to No Country. There are a great many noir films similar to Chinatown, but Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, and Murder My Sweet are all excellent and can be pretty bleak.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

bleeding pebbles posted:

Looking for 3 themes.

I think The Wrestler would be good, Into the Wild maybe too?

trashcanman
May 17, 2006
honkey

bleeding pebbles posted:

Not like the greatest examples but just a few I've seen recently that fit your general vibe.

Meek's Cutoff
Sanctum
I Melt With You
The Way Back
Tyrannosaur

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bleeding pebbles posted:

Looking for 3 themes.

Le Samourai and Man Bites Dog.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any movie where the paranormal occurs in front of more than one person? I really liked that scene in The Wolfman, where he transformed in the court in front of a full audience.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

bleeding pebbles posted:

Looking for 3 themes.

There Will Be Blood fits both 1 and 3. About Schmidt for 1.

Grizzly Man, When the Levees Broke and 4 Little Girls for 2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bleeding pebbles posted:

Being Elmo and Trouble the Water (two very different movies, both of them I saw with someone who ended up crying).

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

bleeding pebbles posted:

God Grew Tired of Us

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

fenix down posted:

For character studies similar to Taxi Driver, I'd say Raging Bull, Streetcar Named Desire, or Drive.
Observe and Report is fundamentally a modern-day Taxi Driver.

bleeding pebbles
Sep 23, 2010

Ulio posted:

Any movie where the paranormal occurs in front of more than one person? I really liked that scene in The Wolfman, where he transformed in the court in front of a full audience.

An American Werewolf In London, Scanners

Also, thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Looks like I'll be good for those documentary movies for awhile, but I wouldn't mind hearing out some more rec's for the two other themes.

Should be noted that I've already seen (and loved): Raging Bull, Streetcar Named Desire, Drive, Le Samourai, Observe and Report.

Still Enjoyed: The Wrestler, There Will Be Blood, Double Idemnity.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bleeding pebbles posted:

Streetcar Named Desire

Just dive into Elia Kazan's filmography - particularly that rewarding mid-50s to mid-60s patch. He made a bunch of great movies along those lines. A Face in the Crowd, East of Eden, On The Waterfront, etc etc etc.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bleeding pebbles posted:

The Wind That Shakes the Barley

I know I might get poo poo for this, because its generally considered a pretty goofy movie (I agree), but I always felt that the end of Red Dawn was pretty bleak.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Looking for action movies where the villain's plot actually succeeds (big bomb goes off, etc.)

Don't really care if I'm spoiled just by the nature of this recommendation. I'm gathering movies for a group watch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SnowWolf posted:

Looking for action movies where the villain's plot actually succeeds (big bomb goes off, etc.)

Don't really care if I'm spoiled just by the nature of this recommendation. I'm gathering movies for a group watch

I know doing this kind of thing is against the rules, but you asked for it Watchmen a contemporary comic book adaptation; and not quite what you are looking for, but I feel fits thematically Dr. Strangelove, because everyone's worst fear happens in the end a Kubrick, with an explanation of why it fits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SnowWolf posted:

The Usual Suspects
Se7en
Fight Club
Fallen

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

SnowWolf posted:

More of a suspense movie but otherwise exactly what you asked for:

Arlington Road

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday, and the 5.1 sound was incredible/outstanding/phenomenal/etc. I really can't imagine it would be the same experience without. So I would love to hear some recommendations for films that absolutely must be watched with surround.

A couple that I think fit the category are Saving Private Ryan, Aliens, and Malick's last three films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SnowWolf posted:

The movie itself isn't great, but this happens in a big way in The Sum of All Fears.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

fenix down posted:

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday, and the 5.1 sound was incredible/outstanding/phenomenal/etc. I really can't imagine it would be the same experience without. So I would love to hear some recommendations for films that absolutely must be watched with surround.

A couple that I think fit the category are Saving Private Ryan, Aliens, and Malick's last three films.

Submarine films (Das Boot in particular, duh) are really good with really good sound

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Xenophon posted:

Submarine films (Das Boot in particular, duh) are really good with really good sound
Oh yeah, good point. I thought of Apocalypse Now and 2001 too as good examples.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm trying to think of a good disaster film for my sister. She's doing a school project where they have to write about a specific disaster, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a good film for it. My first thought was Apocalypse Now, but she's reluctant to work with Vietnam, as she's done that quite a bit. It can be anything from a natural disaster, to a film that uses subtext to present a disaster - or a flat-out disaster movie. I might recommend her 2012, but I haven't seen it, so I don't really know if it's just an effects show or if it actually tries to show some stuff that could happen. What do you guys think?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

csidle posted:

I'm trying to think of a good disaster film for my sister. She's doing a school project where they have to write about a specific disaster, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a good film for it. My first thought was Apocalypse Now, but she's reluctant to work with Vietnam, as she's done that quite a bit. It can be anything from a natural disaster, to a film that uses subtext to present a disaster - or a flat-out disaster movie. I might recommend her 2012, but I haven't seen it, so I don't really know if it's just an effects show or if it actually tries to show some stuff that could happen. What do you guys think?

Not sure if it qualifies as a "disaster" but because you said Apocalypse Now, I'll throw it out.

Bloody Sunday. The forerunner, and superior film, to United 93, focusing on various characters and events on the day of the Derry massacre.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

csidle posted:

I've always been partial to Deep Impact myself. Some very good human level stuff in there amongst the special effects.

Of course, she could have a lot of fun with almost any decent zombie movie. The important part of deconstructing a zombie story is how the zombies are always secondary to the stories of what the humans do when faced with such a situation. 28 Days Later would be good, or either version of Dawn of the Dead. With Dawn of the Dead, she could even contrast the two versions of the same story, how one features a slower, more gradual collapse of society, while the other has a literal overnight zombie apocalypse bringing the world crashing down. Could be lots of bonus points for showing the differences in how people deal with that. I'd go with this myself purely because everyone is down with zombies and there is such a wealth of possibility when talking about them. Even things like discussing when the zombie apocalypse happens for example. End of the world now means laptops and portable generators/solar panels so access to information for years if society goes under. 30 years back and it's a much different proposition.

If she wants to go nuclear, then the mid-Eighties movie Threads is available to watch online.

The Road never specifies what the disaster is, but that kind of makes it even more interesting as it focuses purely on the actions of those undergoing the slow end of the world. I am Legend is also worth a look, but only if you go the alternate ending that bloody test screenings made them cut out. (Don't get me started.)

Edit: I like this topic, so a couple more. For sci-fi, Sunshine has a lot going for it with the claustrophobia of spaceship life and a dying sun. She could also do well checking out Silent Running. The Earth in that movie seems to have been terraformed (offscreen) into a bland and temperature-controlled urban wasteland. They must have lost the woods and forests before that point. The last remnants of the forests are held in bio domes on a small fleet of spaceships. Order comes in to destroy them, ending the hope of ever bringing Earth back to how it was. Could be a good film to choose if she wants to go very speculative and write all the backstory herself rather than analyse someone else's.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2012

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

csidle posted:

Do not recommend 2012. If you are going to go with that then at least pick an Irwin Allen film like The Towering Inferno. Even Earthquake is a better choice. 2012 is 3 hours of mindless science defying bullshit.

If you are saying she needs a real disaster then look into the Sago Mine Disaster. Small enough scale to not be overwhelmed on a paper and some sadly riveting material. Families were informed that their trapped loved ones had been saved and there turned out to only be a sole survivor out of thirteen men.

And just because I don't get many chances to recommend it. The film North Face (Nord wand) is an overlooked and amazing film about one of the first tragic attempts to scale the Eiger.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Poseidon Adventure would be a good pick. Hackman! Borgnine! Roddy McDowall!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fenix down posted:

HEAT. The reverb of gunshots bouncing off skyscrapers is wonderful. The entire street is like a giant echo chamber.

Dark Knight is also good, mostly just for the bullets popping around Harvey Dent in the big car chase.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Who's got LA crime films for me? Drive has me in the mood. I'm familiar with Mann and Tarantino's stuff, The Driver, To Live and Die in LA, the Terminator movies, Training Day, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential...I know I need to see Night Moves, but what else?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
HEAT.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, that's kinda covered by "Mann."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm a dunce.

Anyways, it's not film but I'd highly recommend The Shield if you haven't seen it. The series is like one long non-stop heart attack where it constantly looks like the world is going to end in the next episode.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Beverly Hills Cop and 48 Hours. e: actually Lethal Weapon first.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 4, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Who's got LA crime films for me? Drive has me in the mood. I'm familiar with Mann and Tarantino's stuff, The Driver, To Live and Die in LA, the Terminator movies, Training Day, Chinatown, L.A. Confidential...I know I need to see Night Moves, but what else?

Cutter's Way, Mike's Murder, The Driver.

The Driver in particular is pretty much a dry run for Drive.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Long Goodbye is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I've been looking for ages for some sort of genuinely intelligent space-based sci-fi movie. Any recommendations? 2001 was great but a bit too arthouse for me, Solyaris was decent, Sunshine was perfect up until you-know-what and then it was horrible.

• Locked thread