Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Monarch posted:

I'm having trouble SSH-ing into my phone. It's a 3GS running 5.0.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm on a mac, and I can ping to the phone's IP just fine, but when I try "SSH root@IP Address" I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused". I've tried googling but all the links coming up are old and mostly for windows. I've also set the phone to not go to sleep. Anyone know what's up?

Same issue with me. I've heard that re-jailbreaking over your current one may fix it (due to a bug with initial release causing ruckus with the SSH daemon starting) but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. I tried installing Corona but it had no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

What verbiage are you using to ask her to do backlight stuff?

With SiriToggles, I just said "Set brightness 20%" and it worked just fine.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

All of these work for me:

- Set brightness to X
- Set brightness to X percent
- Set brightness to X level
- Set backlight to X
- Set backlight to X percent
- Set backlight to X level

I never tried raise/lower instead of "set" before, but those don't work for me either. Neither do increase or decrease. I think the "set" part is key. As is the "turn on/off / enable/disable" for wifi and other on/off options.

She understands "brightness" easier than "backlight", and you can literally put any unit you want after the number, or just leave it off, and it will work, such as:

- Set brightness to X vaginas
- Set backlight to X dickbutts

Siri doesn't give a poo poo about units.

Now for my question:

I'm using SiriToggles and Hands-Free Control, which is awesome because Siri is listening for me to say "Siri" even when the phone is locked, but she can't launch apps when my phone is locked (she even says so when I try.) I tried the Cydia app "NoLockScreen" which bypasses the lockscreen, so home goes right to springboard, and siri will now indeed launch an app for me while the phone is locked, but siri's purple dot screen stays in front of the app (which is launched behind it) until I press home. :(

Anyone find a way to get siri to launch an app from screen off (no passcode or anything) without touching it? That's what I want.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Nope. I don't have an accent, a lisp, a mumble or a stutter.

Legit Siri stuff NEVER misses a beat with me.

Furthermore, Siri is repeating back (in text and in voice) EXACTLY what I asked, so I know she heard me right. She just says she doesn't know what to do with that info. (or she brings up some Wolfram Alpha calc page on what 20% means.

Didn't you install it from that shady YouTube repo? Download the official release off of BigBoss.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Getting used to some of my shiny new jailbreak features, and I'm in love with WifiSMS.

Does anyone know of a tweak I can download to set wifi network priority? We have two SSIDs in my workplace for some reason - one allows me a usable IP address for iFile and the like, the other gives me internet access but on an IP which is outside the usual network in some weird way. The only problem is that some areas of the building only have the lovely-IP network, so I want to be able to default to the good one if it's available but go with the lovely one if it's not.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

Getting used to some of my shiny new jailbreak features, and I'm in love with WifiSMS.

Does anyone know of a tweak I can download to set wifi network priority? We have two SSIDs in my workplace for some reason - one allows me a usable IP address for iFile and the like, the other gives me internet access but on an IP which is outside the usual network in some weird way. The only problem is that some areas of the building only have the lovely-IP network, so I want to be able to default to the good one if it's available but go with the lovely one if it's not.

I've been looking for something like that for years. I could be sitting at my desk, with no less than 40 access points next to me. I use some when I'm at my desk, some when I'm at meetings, some when I'm testing stuff outside of our network, etc.

When I walk into the build, my iPhone picks up the first network it sees (not the one I want) and connects to that. It's getting old having to manually switch networks over and over, or constantly telling my phone to forget a network over and over.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Didn't you install it from that shady YouTube repo? Download the official release off of BigBoss.
I have the BigBoss one.

Anyhow, so far, some of the recommended verbiage has helped. Just an uncomplicated "Set brightness x%" has been successful.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

status posted:

Same issue with me. I've heard that re-jailbreaking over your current one may fix it (due to a bug with initial release causing ruckus with the SSH daemon starting) but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. I tried installing Corona but it had no effect.

Ok I actually got it to work by re-installing openSSH through Cydia.

On another note, does anyone know of a (IOS 5 and 3GS compatible) thing that'll hide the lock screen UI? In particular the clock and bar at the top, and all the "slide to unlock" stuff at the bottom.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Monarch posted:

On another note, does anyone know of a (IOS 5 and 3GS compatible) thing that'll hide the lock screen UI? In particular the clock and bar at the top, and all the "slide to unlock" stuff at the bottom.

there's a cydia pkg called "lockscreen clock hide" that can hide the time and bar at the top, not sure about something for the slider at the bottom

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

mewse posted:

there's a cydia pkg called "lockscreen clock hide" that can hide the time and bar at the top, not sure about something for the slider at the bottom

You can theme it away if you're interested in installing winterboard.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Okay jailbreakers, you win.

Was trying to resist jailbreak temptation and gave up. Downgraded from 5.1b3 to 5.0.1, restored 5.1b3 backup with an Info.plist change, jailbroke with absinthe. All good.

jonastheed
Feb 14, 2007
boners > boobies
Is there anything that would give Android-like password protection to your lock screen? I really like their implementation of sliding your finger over a pattern rather than discreet tapping of each number/letter in your password.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jonastheed posted:

Is there anything that would give Android-like password protection to your lock screen? I really like their implementation of sliding your finger over a pattern rather than discreet tapping of each number/letter in your password.

AndroidLock XT

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

So I thought my 4S jailbreak had gone perfectly but today my phone ran out of battery. When I got home and plugged it into my computer it turned on, but it's now stuck in a continuous reboot cycle. Anyone know how to fix this?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Laopooh posted:

So I thought my 4S jailbreak had gone perfectly but today my phone ran out of battery. When I got home and plugged it into my computer it turned on, but it's now stuck in a continuous reboot cycle. Anyone know how to fix this?

This is what usually happens when you do a tethered jailbreak. How did you perform the jailbreak? Using redsn0w will let you select "just boot" that might get you running again.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

1997 posted:

This is what usually happens when you do a tethered jailbreak. How did you perform the jailbreak? Using redsn0w will let you select "just boot" that might get you running again.

I did it with Absinthe 0.2. I'm just gonna restore it and try again with 0.3. It's weird because I did full power off restarts when messing with installing Cydia stuff before.

eiddetham
Sep 22, 2003

Tap bitch.
I'm new to jailbreaking, so please excuse my ignorance. I just jailbroke my iphone 4S yesterday and I noticed that my wifi has become almost uselessly slow. Most notably, downloading apps or podcasts that used to take a minute and a half to two at the most, are now taking like 45 minutes or timing out completely. I had to turn wifi off and switch to 3g while at home.

The only apps I downloaded from the Cydia store are MyWi 5.0 and 3g Unrestrictor. Has anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix?

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Welp, now I'm getting a 1600 error when trying to restore my 4S in DFU mode. I deleted the apple line from my hosts with no success. Anyone else run into this problem? I think I have to restore with a custom ipsw by shift-clicking restore or something?

edit: restarting itunes did the trick

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 27, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

eiddetham posted:

I'm new to jailbreaking, so please excuse my ignorance. I just jailbroke my iphone 4S yesterday and I noticed that my wifi has become almost uselessly slow. Most notably, downloading apps or podcasts that used to take a minute and a half to two at the most, are now taking like 45 minutes or timing out completely. I had to turn wifi off and switch to 3g while at home.

The only apps I downloaded from the Cydia store are MyWi 5.0 and 3g Unrestrictor. Has anyone heard of this problem and know of a fix?
This is happening with me on my work wifi ever since I jailbroke. I've jailbroken several times before and never had this problem. The timing could still be a coincidence though. Oh and I don't have MyWi or 3G Unrestrictor installed.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Diabolik900 posted:

This is happening with me on my work wifi ever since I jailbroke. I've jailbroken several times before and never had this problem. The timing could still be a coincidence though. Oh and I don't have MyWi or 3G Unrestrictor installed.

Do a speedtest (there's a speedtest.com app) while jailbroken. Restore to stock. Do a speedtest again. Compare. Could just be a coincidence?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G and I can't figure out for the life of me how to transfer apps that I've purchased from iTunes to my phone. It says it wants to delete everything if I try synching it. I don't want that, of course.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just re-jailbreak!

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2012

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got a pretty cool lock screen but that annoying gray bar is on the top. What can I use to get rid of it?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

t_bright posted:

I got a pretty cool lock screen but that annoying gray bar is on the top. What can I use to get rid of it?
There's a really nice tweak on the BigBoss repo called ReadTheThread I think.

Diafthora
Sep 22, 2003

All I wanted to do was introduce him to Mr. Axe
Ok, I need some help. So I jailbroke my ipad 2 fine using absinthe on 5.01 and I'm now trying to do it on my friend's and I'm encountering some issues.

The absinthe icon is on the ipad, but when I click it, it gives me an error saying "Didn't work? Trys this:
1. Tap 'Jailbeak' to open the Settings application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'."

There's a big long jailbreak button that give's me another error when I click it: "Absinthe could not be opened. The error was: "The URL can't be shown"." And I can close or retry. Retry does nothing and close just closes it.

I've tried to go into settings manually and enable VPN, and I get this error: "A configuration error occured."

I know I'm supposed to get a different error and it should respring, but nothing happens. I've wiped the ipad to default and tried running absinthe again on a fresh load and the same thing is occuring. Help?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Trying to jailbreak my ipad2 with Absinth on Windows. The ipad is fully updated and I get halfway into the process before absinth just crashes. Anyone else have this problem?

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

coldplay chiptunes posted:

There's a really nice tweak on the BigBoss repo called ReadTheThread I think.

Oh, awesome bro. Its so easy to read the entire thread using just your iPhone. Why didn't I think of that.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Just re-jailbroke after a few months without: feels good to have my scrolling folders back, and I'm even happier to have hosed Newsstand right off.

Quick question: is there a Cydia app that will let me sort folder contents alphabetically? I'm a bit of a pedant about that sort of thing and manually sorting larger folders would be an absolute pain. I know I can reset my homescreen and do it manually bit by bit, but every new app I add would then need sorting from that point (which, while less of a pain in the rear end, is still a pain in the rear end).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

t_bright posted:

Oh, awesome bro. Its so easy to read the entire thread using just your iPhone. Why didn't I think of that.

mewse posted:

Reading the whole thread on your phone, sure, valid complaint. However, this was on the same page as your post.

Of the MyWi, PDAnet, etc. has anyone noted a functional difference between them all other than PDAnets ability to transfer licenses to/from other OS (and is that a real feature of it or did I just make that up)?

Lee King Wang
Jan 11, 2012

What're the chances of me getting caught jailbreaking a contracted phone with AT&T?

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

t_bright posted:

It's probably in the goonlist, which should really be in the OP (or, if it is, easier to spot in the OP):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Commander Sylux posted:

What're the chances of me getting caught jailbreaking a contracted phone with AT&T?

Caught? What do you mean, "caught"? I've been jailbreaking contracted iPhones and debranding other contracted phones on AT&T since 2010.

They've only bothered me with their forced data plan fuckery.

Jailbreaking is safe, reversible, and pretty much unknowable & undetectable by AT&T or Apple.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Caught? What do you mean, "caught"? I've been jailbreaking contracted iPhones and debranding other contracted phones on AT&T since 2010.

They've only bothered me with their forced data plan fuckery.

Jailbreaking is safe, reversible, and pretty much unknowable & undetectable by AT&T or Apple.

The first thing a Genius does when checking on a phone is a spotlight search for Cydia

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaizoku posted:

Reading the whole thread on your phone, sure, valid complaint. However, this was on the same page as your post.

Of the MyWi, PDAnet, etc. has anyone noted a functional difference between them all other than PDAnets ability to transfer licenses to/from other OS (and is that a real feature of it or did I just make that up)?

Yea, I missed it, but I had already downloaded this app. I don't think it's working right for me. I think we do need to invest in a new spreadsheet, and maybe even a set of instructions on what the most important apps and sources are.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Commander Sylux posted:

I don't know about you, but I have a bug-out bag by the door, because technically SWAT and Homeland Security, lead by an AT&T Inter-department Task-Force could bust down your door any second. They know where you are and they know what you did.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

Commander Sylux posted:

You'll be fine. If you have to take the phone into the Genius Bar just remember to restore to stock and the Genius will have no way of knowing that it was ever jailbroken.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Diafthora posted:

Ok, I need some help. So I jailbroke my ipad 2 fine using absinthe on 5.01 and I'm now trying to do it on my friend's and I'm encountering some issues.

The absinthe icon is on the ipad, but when I click it, it gives me an error saying "Didn't work? Trys this:
1. Tap 'Jailbeak' to open the Settings application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'."

There's a big long jailbreak button that give's me another error when I click it: "Absinthe could not be opened. The error was: "The URL can't be shown"." And I can close or retry. Retry does nothing and close just closes it.

I've tried to go into settings manually and enable VPN, and I get this error: "A configuration error occured."

I know I'm supposed to get a different error and it should respring, but nothing happens. I've wiped the ipad to default and tried running absinthe again on a fresh load and the same thing is occuring. Help?

I've had this error. You simply have to re-jailbreak it until it works. I had to do it a few times. Make sure that you do not have a password lock on your phone when you're jailbreaking. I turned it off and it worked perfectly fine.

Lee King Wang
Jan 11, 2012

Thanks, guys! Thankfully I don't hold the account, so dipping into the AT & Bigot Chamber isn't on my list of to-do, ever.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Commander Sylux posted:

Thanks, guys! Thankfully I don't hold the account, so dipping into the AT & Bigot Chamber isn't on my list of to-do, ever.
What does this mean? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee King Wang
Jan 11, 2012

It means that my Grandmother, Grandpa, and cousin all have iPhones and went into the store with me to get mine, holstering them in their OtterBox sidearm cases, and despite their display the AT&T guy still tried to sell me the Android model he had bought himself. I told him I was there to buy one; "Oh, but the Android has some great features the iPhone doesn't!". I want to use FaceTime with my family: "But you can have live backgrounds!" I like the iPhone apps: "Android has those apps and more-" okay can I talk to a different frakking guy, please?

• Locked thread