Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Duece Ex Machina posted:

Growing up my favorite meal was something my mom called Hawaiian Chicken:

Boneless/Skinless Breast
1 Cup Ketchup
1 Cup Honey
1/2 Stick Butter
1 Can Crushed Pineapple
Soy Sauce to taste
Serve over white rice.

As delicious as this is, I would like to try to jazz it up and replace the processed ingredients with fresher/healthier alternatives. MY GIRLFRIEND has already suggest hoisin or oyster sauce instead of soy, and fresh pineapple is pretty self explanatory, but how can I get the same flavor/consistency from the ketchup/honey/butter mixture?

The soy sauce is fine, just make sure you use "real" soy sauce; Kikkoman is the most commonly available decent soy sauce.
Instead of ketchup, make your own ketchupy tomato sauce by cooking down a can of tomatoes with some good vinegar, onion, garlic, and probably another cup of honey. But you might want to wait until it's done to add the sweetener, as well as a bunch of salt. If you really want the consistency of ketchup you'll have to let it simmer for over an hour, then blend in some cornstarch or something to thicken it.

If I was making that kind of quick, PWT meal though, I'd probably just use a cup of Sweet Baby Ray's instead of ketchup.
edit:
<----- and in case you missed it there's a very good answer in the last post of the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
Chasm:

Thanks for the excellent response, all of those ideas sound fruitful.

As for the application, typically the sauce would be made in a pot, butter, then ketchup/honey, then pineapple, then soy, and then the chicken would be marinated and grilled.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Is there a current recommendation for a good, budget chef's knife? I thought there may have been a thread on this but I'm not finding it.

Looking to stay under $50. I previously had that much cheaper alternative to Shun santoku 7 inch that I enjoyed (the brand name is escaping me but it ran somewhere around $30). Are there any good deals around right now?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

NiVRaM88 posted:

Is there a current recommendation for a good, budget chef's knife? I thought there may have been a thread on this but I'm not finding it.

Looking to stay under $50. I previously had that much cheaper alternative to Shun santoku 7 inch that I enjoyed (the brand name is escaping me but it ran somewhere around $30). Are there any good deals around right now?

Get this one. Highly recommended around here, I have one and it's awesome, and only half of your budget!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Randomity posted:

Get this one. Highly recommended around here, I have one and it's awesome, and only half of your budget!

I second Victorinox, but make sure you hold it in your hand before you buy it, you might want to get a smaller or a bigger one.

Mine is ready for a sharpening, Personal Edge does it for $10, is that overpaying it? I assume they won't ruin it...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I saw Jacques Pepin make apple fritters, he simply mixed beer and flour, coated apple matchsticks and threw them in oil.

I look online and there are recipes with eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and some look like donuts with chunks of apple in them.

Any suggestions? If I make 3 recipes I will probably eat them all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Any suggestions? If I make 3 recipes I will probably eat them all.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Try the simplest one first, then progress to the more complicated ones if you're not happy. No sense making the messy one with 40 ingredients and a 3-day yeast rise if Pepin's simple one does the trick for you.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Was it this Pepin recipe? It lists water instead of beer, but is published in the New York Times so that figures. The egg is there as the binder, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one in the episode you saw.

Also I am now doing this tonight. :3:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

zerox147o posted:

My chocolate chip cookies:

* 2 sticks butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 1/4+ cups flour
* 1+ tsp baking soda
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, stirring well. Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate large bowl. Begin adding dry ingredients to wet, adding about 1/4 of the dry ingredients at a time while slowing mixing with the wet to form a nice dough. Mix only as much as needed to combine ingredients, avoid over stirring. Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the dough, add chocolate chips and gently fold them throughout the batter. Cover bowl and leave in fridge a minimum of 30 minutes, up to overnight. Spoon out 1 tbsp size balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.

They do expand a bit while baking, though. If you want to get something that will stay a pretty uniform shape that might better suited for hearts, you could try to make these: http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
They stayed pretty much the same shape through baking, and went over pretty well when I made them last week. Would probably lend themselves to some icing well, too.

Thanks man, the cookies were good but having never baked before they didn't come out quite perfect. They were very cakey and soft, but tasted delicious and softness is hardly a negative attribute with cookies. Also the dough seemed to melt a bit in the oven, they all had a large crispy brown circle around them, which was basically purely an aesthetic complaint. Next time I'd like to correct that, any idea what would make them that way (the cakey rawness and the meltiness of the dough)?
Also my girlfriend has a strict catholic family and my family was around at my house, so in that sense the cookies never had a chance. And we're both busy with school and work so... it's almost like I'm catholic too.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Stupid question, but is making your own croquettes as simple as mashing some potato, shaping, rolling in egg and breadcrumbs and deep frying with a bit of salt and pepper thrown in for good measure or are there more steps involved?

Have a real craving for croquettes and would like to try my own...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BRJohnson posted:

Thanks man, the cookies were good but having never baked before they didn't come out quite perfect. They were very cakey and soft, but tasted delicious and softness is hardly a negative attribute with cookies. Also the dough seemed to melt a bit in the oven, they all had a large crispy brown circle around them, which was basically purely an aesthetic complaint. Next time I'd like to correct that, any idea what would make them that way (the cakey rawness and the meltiness of the dough)?

Could be a couple different problems, so here are the things I have learned make a difference:

•Start with cold butter. I use Thomas Keller's method for this. Cube each stick of butter, then put one stick's worth in your blender and blend until it starts getting creamy, then add the second stick's worth of cubes and once it's mostly smooth, add your sugar

•Cream the hell out of it. Set your blender on medium-high and set a timer for 10 minutes. You won't overcream it in this time, but you will make sure you have maximum volume.

•When you add the flour, only mix long enough to just incorporate the flour. Assuming you are adding your flour gradually, once the last bit goes in and you can't see dry flour in the dough, turn off the mixer. Fold in the chocolate chips by hand

•If you started with cold butter, your dough should be cool enough that you can cook a batch right away. I dish the first batch onto the baking sheet, then dish the rest of the dough onto another one (on a silpat, actually) and refrigerate it. It's hard as hell to dish chilled dough, so I just refrigerate the dished cookie dough and pull out as many dough balls as I need to bake the next batch. By starting with cold dough, you limit how much the cookie will spread from the heat of the oven.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Splizwarf posted:

Was it this Pepin recipe? It lists water instead of beer, but is published in the New York Times so that figures. The egg is there as the binder, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one in the episode you saw.

Also I am now doing this tonight. :3:

Not sure, it was on the Create channel yesterday, 'Essential Pepin'. He poured about 3/4 bottle of beer into a cup of flour.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BRJohnson posted:

Also my girlfriend has a strict catholic family and my family was around at my house, so in that sense the cookies never had a chance. And we're both busy with school and work so... it's almost like I'm catholic too.

Try taking out half a stick of butter, only 2 cups of flour, and use only the egg yolks. I would also bake them at 325 or 350, 375 is pretty hot for cookies. If the bottoms get any more than brown you're burning them. Once they crack in the middle they're close to done, you want the inside every so slightly raw. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop them out, put the dough in the freezer in between batches.

Another thing you can play with is replace half the flour with powdered cocoa, if you want a chocolate cookie. Be careful not to burn them since they're already dark brown.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure, it was on the Create channel yesterday, 'Essential Pepin'. He poured about 3/4 bottle of beer into a cup of flour.

This episode?

e: \/\/\/\/ Yeah, but I figured at least with the episode info you might be able to find the episode online. I'll give it a better try when I get home from work; I want that recipe too!

ee: It's available on Amazon Instant, free if you have a Prime account.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

This episode?

Yea, no link to the recipe though :(

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

BRJohnson posted:

I don't want to even suggest that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cookies, but I have two very good cookie-making friends and they both swear that better butter bakes better cookies. One uses "Irish Butter" from the supermarket; it's imported and roughly 3 times as much as regular butter. The other one uses that, some kind of Amish butter, or butter that she gets from some farmer nearby.

Anyway, it kind of sounds like what you're looking for in consistency; their cookies are firm, but chewy at the same time -rather than being either spongy or crumbly and they think it's because of the butter.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 25, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Jackpot.

Jacques Pepin posted:

"There is nothing like a beer batter, which I make by mixing 1 1/2 cups of flour and a can of beer. To this batter I add coarsely cut apples, and I deep-fry spoonfuls of the mixture into delicious fritters, which I serve with granulated sugar."

Looks like I was wrong about the egg. Happy frittering. :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Experto Crede posted:

Stupid question, but is making your own croquettes as simple as mashing some potato, shaping, rolling in egg and breadcrumbs and deep frying with a bit of salt and pepper thrown in for good measure or are there more steps involved?

Have a real craving for croquettes and would like to try my own...

I've made koroke (Japanese croquettes) a few times and made them exactly as you said. Salt in the potatoes is important IMO. Koroke usually have some kind of filling beyond the potatoes, like mixed veggies or meat, but plain is good.

e: I was thinking about this more - pretty sure I coated them with flour, egg, crumbs, not just egg/crumbs.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
If you want 'em really crisp on the outside, then you go:
1. Flour
2. Egg
3. Breadcrumbs

But egg then breadcrumbs isn't shabby either.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Mach420 posted:

Astranagant is right. C clamps. Those things at the bottom are used as anchors so that you can put them into anchor holes in tables and stuff.

Best answer I've heard between DIY and GWS. Thanks!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I roasted a chicken the other day as I'm trying to both eat cheaper, and evade some of the immense shame that I get from Mr. Wiggles always talking about how bad it is to buy the jumbo packages of chicken breasts from Costco and realizing that I was guilty of the same.

My free-range organic roaster came out nice as a roast chicken dinner, and some of the meat has gone into white chicken chili and into two different kinds of quesadilla, but I have a couple pounds of meat left and am looking for good recommendations.

I was thinking of making some pulled chicken sandwiches - would I just heat the chicken with some BBQ sauce and put on bun, or is there a better way to do this?

The idea of a BBQ chicken pizza also came to mind (one of my favorites for delivery) but I've never cooked a pizza before at all.

Any other suggestions? I'm not too interested in soup or chicken salad.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

EVG posted:

Hey, you should make some chicken soup! :v:

Barring that, here's some other nifty uses:

- super quick fajitas: saute big wads of onions and bell peppers in plenty of butter and with lots of salt and pepper. Sprinkle some lime juice and cumin and hot sauce over your chicken and leave it to the side until the onions and peppers are pretty well cooked through. Throw the chicken in at the end, knock everything around to mix the flavors and serve on warm tortillas.

- spergtastic sushi: make some vinegared rice, make matchstick carrots, a bit of cubed cucumber and soak the chicken in a mix of soy, sugar (or honey) and a tiny bit of wasabi powder. Then roll it all up on your little bamboo mat with a lettuce leaf and slice it into rounds. Ta-da, chicken sushi that will exasperate everyone who is expecting there to be fish.

- chicken and pasta: boil up your favorite fatass pasta, mix up an alfredo sauce and then throw the chicken in to heat through at the end. Serve and die a fatty.

- chicken enchiladas: slather your chicken in some red or green sauce and a little cheese. roll the corn tortillas up and slather with more red or green sauce. bake in an oven till hot all the way through and then cry because you should have sauteed onions and peppers before making these weakass enchilalas.

Good luck with your chicken.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I eat so much soup already! Thanks for the advice. :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And don't forget to save the bones and other detritus for stock making! And good for you!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

JimbobDobalina posted:

I went hunting this fall and came into a large quantity of venison, some of which has been turned into sausage. I have about 55 pounds of sausage, and in order to not become bored of eating this tasty treat over and over the same way, I am looking for some alternative methods of cooking it...

At the moment I slow cook it in a small amount of water in a covered roasting pan in the oven, and it comes out tasting great. However, with nearly 30 2lb rings all to myself there has to be a better way!

Fry it up along with some red and yellow bell peppers, some onions, garlic, and something spicy like tobasco, jalepeno, or cayenne. Get everything nice and caramelized. Delicious.

I had that as an appetizer once. It was a spicy Venison sausage and was truly one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For Chocolate Chip cookies I've become a big fan of browning the butter. Brown about half of the butter in a recipe and it just takes the flavour to the next level.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
I'm trying to work out a recipe for saag paneer. I'm having fun trying to make homemade paneer come out right, but the spice blend is flummoxing me. Most of the recipes I find call for cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, but all of the garam masala blends I find already have coriander (and some have cumin) in them. Is the point of adding coriander in these kinds of recipes assuming that you have a garam masala that doesn't have coriander in it, or is saag just usually a coriander-heavy dish?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

EVG posted:

I roasted a chicken the other day as I'm trying to both eat cheaper, and evade some of the immense shame that I get from Mr. Wiggles always talking about how bad it is to buy the jumbo packages of chicken breasts from Costco and realizing that I was guilty of the same.

My free-range organic roaster came out nice as a roast chicken dinner, and some of the meat has gone into white chicken chili and into two different kinds of quesadilla, but I have a couple pounds of meat left and am looking for good recommendations.

I was thinking of making some pulled chicken sandwiches - would I just heat the chicken with some BBQ sauce and put on bun, or is there a better way to do this?

The idea of a BBQ chicken pizza also came to mind (one of my favorites for delivery) but I've never cooked a pizza before at all.

It's pretty similar to chicken salad, but it may be different enough to pique your interest: you could always make coronation chicken. Chop up the chicken, mix in some mayo, yogurt, dijon, curry powder, and lemon juice. Stir in some chopped almonds and dried fruit.(currants, raisins, etc.)It makes a great cold sandwich filler.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen,

My office is having their annual "best appetizer" contest in a few weeks. I'm trying to come up with an entry that meets the following criteria -

1. Can be served cool, or room temperature. Only potential heating apparatus would be a crock-pot.

2. Can be prepared pretty much entirely ahead of time. All cooking needs to be done ahead, although assembly and some minor prep (cutting, etc.) can be done at the scene.

3. Needs to hold for at least five hours, from the time when I arrive till it's served at noon.

4. I'd like it to be visually appealing, tips on presentation would be great too.

Other than that, pretty much anything is fair game! I'm looking for around 50 servings.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

^^ mini quiches or frittatas. Mark the quiches/frittatas with bacon, broccoli, artichoke, etc to show what's inside.

Is there a way to reheat pasta that doesn't render it disgusting? Taking pasta to work is never as delicious as I hope.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

squigadoo posted:

^^ mini quiches or frittatas. Mark the quiches/frittatas with bacon, broccoli, artichoke, etc to show what's inside.

Is there a way to reheat pasta that doesn't render it disgusting? Taking pasta to work is never as delicious as I hope.

Make it al dentier than usual when cooking.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I find some pastas are just better as cold leftovers. Generally not the very meaty/tomatoey ones though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rj54x posted:

Ladies and gentlemen,

My office is having their annual "best appetizer" contest in a few weeks. I'm trying to come up with an entry that meets the following criteria -

1. Can be served cool, or room temperature. Only potential heating apparatus would be a crock-pot.

2. Can be prepared pretty much entirely ahead of time. All cooking needs to be done ahead, although assembly and some minor prep (cutting, etc.) can be done at the scene.

3. Needs to hold for at least five hours, from the time when I arrive till it's served at noon.

4. I'd like it to be visually appealing, tips on presentation would be great too.

Other than that, pretty much anything is fair game! I'm looking for around 50 servings.

A few ideas:
Smoked salmon tartare with chive creme fraiche in savory tuile cones
Pate en croute with pork tenderloin inlay with brioche toasts
Belgian endive cups with ricotta cheese, moscato marinated dates, pistachios, and balsamic

empanadas of some sort, maybe braised beef cheek and mushroom with manchego
Be a badass and just serve fresh shucked oysters with mignonette

I'd make each element ahead of time and assemble before serving, except for the oysters, shuck those right before serving.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Goddamn posted:

I find some pastas are just better as cold leftovers. Generally not the very meaty/tomatoey ones though.

I feel this way about penne with pesto and stir fried grated zucchini.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Show Me A Chicken posted:

I'm trying to work out a recipe for saag paneer. I'm having fun trying to make homemade paneer come out right, but the spice blend is flummoxing me. Most of the recipes I find call for cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, but all of the garam masala blends I find already have coriander (and some have cumin) in them. Is the point of adding coriander in these kinds of recipes assuming that you have a garam masala that doesn't have coriander in it, or is saag just usually a coriander-heavy dish?

Just add in the extra coriander, I'm willing to bet the majority of garam masala powders would have coriander in them already, so it's just to add in more coriander and cumin flavor. When I make a lot of curries they usually ask for garam masala powder as well as extra coriander and cumin, so it's a common thing. The main flavor I get from garam masala isn't the coriander and cumin, it's the warm spices like clove and nutmeg, so more coriander and cumin definitely help out.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So the veggies I have in my house today are celeriac, turnips, and spinach. I need to make dinner for myself and my vegan boyfriend. The only thing I can think of to make is soup - but for some reason that idea makes me sad. Any suggestion on how I can liven up this winter veggies meal?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I have some sealed pepper jack cheese that went bad 27-OCT-2011, looks good to me, but am I going to die?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

are you worried that your bad milk is going to go bad?

Edit to add content: barring black fuzz or pink liquid, it probably will not kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also barring it smelling like it will kill you. If it smells like cheese, you're probably ok.