Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Szurumbur posted:

That would be great, installing iTunes as we speak!

EDIT: It seems iTunes is an regional affair and as such, my iTunes Store does not have the tracks I wanted. Is there any way around that?

Use a gift card or paypal and make a foreign itunes account. Read this thread; there are several ways and one or the other may work or not depending on where you and the music you want are located: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424007&page=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I'm looking for the gif of different world treaties that shows the US abstaining from a majority of them. Anyone know where I could find it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BigAlienHoopajoo posted:

Has anyone ever used the retailer http://www.actualelectronics.com before? They've got the lowest price on a laptop I'm looking to buy, but I've never heard of them and can't seem to find any information on the site from people who've actually used it. It looks mostly legit, I'm just a little skeptical.

This is ringing all kinds of bells for me. The fact that they have iPads on discount is enough for me.

• No info in Google. At all
  • Google's snapshot of the page is a bunch of MySQL errors
  • Their Paypal logo doesn't go to their merchant page. Paypal requires any use of their logo to link to the Paypal merchant site
  • It's not custom software, it's a free install of OpenCart

It's even better when you dive into the About Us page
  • Conflicting info like "since our foundation for a decade " and "ActualElectronics was founded in 2009"
  • Domain records show the site didn't even exist a little over a year ago.
  • Oh yeah, the entire about us page is ripped from Provantage's about us page.
    "With over $1 million worth of inventory ready for immediate shipment, you can depend on ActualElectronics to have the products you need when you need them. "
    "With over $1 billion worth of inventory ready for immediate shipment, you can depend on us to have the products you need when you need them."

"ActualElectronics has the lowest price after ground shipping charges on more products than any of our competitors - even those with free shipping offers! "
    "Provantage has the lowest price on more products than any of our competitors - even those with 'free shipping' offers!"

• Their listed address is a mall, including such high end shops such as Dairy Queen and Lady Footlocker.

EDIT: They have a different address on their contact page which points to some flooring store or something? Looks like a warehouse/office park though so that's more believable than a mall.

• Their phone number in Google pulls up a powerwashing service.

EDIT2:

• Their return policy is completely lifted from Insight.com as well.

Now, they may be legit, some small mall store store trying to sell some overstock or whatever but I would stay far far away from them.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 26, 2012

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Anybody know a quick and clean way to get rid of an elastic band in the sleeves of one of my jackets, bar simply cutting it with some scissors?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone had any experience with taking zinc for acne? I've heard it works and I really want to help my sister out so she can stop ordering all this proactive poo poo

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

change my name posted:

Has anyone had any experience with taking zinc for acne? I've heard it works and I really want to help my sister out so she can stop ordering all this proactive poo poo

Check out the skincare thread and maybe? the makeup thread in W&W as they might have some answers. You'll probably be recommended the oil cleansing method or a change in products used.

yoohoo posted:

Anybody know a quick and clean way to get rid of an elastic band in the sleeves of one of my jackets, bar simply cutting it with some scissors?

Probably making a snip near the hem, pulling out what you can and cutting the elastic out?

Question: what was the conclusion to The Goonboot Project back in 2008? Did we get it made or what?

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Edit: figured it out

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 26, 2012

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

yoohoo posted:

Turn the sleeve inside out. Cut a small slit in the fabric over the elastic band, pull the elastic out, cut it, and then pull it out through the slit. Sew up the slit you made. (It'll be on the inside of the sleeve, so you don't have to make it pretty.)

BigAlienHoopajoo
Aug 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

This is ringing all kinds of bells for me. The fact that they have iPads on discount is enough for me.

• No info in Google. At all
  • Google's snapshot of the page is a bunch of MySQL errors
  • Their Paypal logo doesn't go to their merchant page. Paypal requires any use of their logo to link to the Paypal merchant site
  • It's not custom software, it's a free install of OpenCart

It's even better when you dive into the About Us page
  • Conflicting info like "since our foundation for a decade " and "ActualElectronics was founded in 2009"
  • Domain records show the site didn't even exist a little over a year ago.
  • Oh yeah, the entire about us page is ripped from Provantage's about us page.
    "With over $1 million worth of inventory ready for immediate shipment, you can depend on ActualElectronics to have the products you need when you need them. "
    "With over $1 billion worth of inventory ready for immediate shipment, you can depend on us to have the products you need when you need them."

"ActualElectronics has the lowest price after ground shipping charges on more products than any of our competitors - even those with free shipping offers! "
    "Provantage has the lowest price on more products than any of our competitors - even those with 'free shipping' offers!"

• Their listed address is a mall, including such high end shops such as Dairy Queen and Lady Footlocker.

EDIT: They have a different address on their contact page which points to some flooring store or something? Looks like a warehouse/office park though so that's more believable than a mall.

• Their phone number in Google pulls up a powerwashing service.

EDIT2:

• Their return policy is completely lifted from Insight.com as well.

Now, they may be legit, some small mall store store trying to sell some overstock or whatever but I would stay far far away from them.

:stare:

Thanks a lot. Glad I asked here first, something just didn't seem right about them.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome
Can anyone recommend a good free online reminder system that 2 people can use together? I only need fairly basic functionality. I'm working on a personal project with a friend who is in a different time zone and we'd like to be able to see and add to each other's goals, get reminders via email and SMS and track completion. Google gives me a bunch of them but I'd love to get recommendations. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Emmjay posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free online reminder system that 2 people can use together? I only need fairly basic functionality. I'm working on a personal project with a friend who is in a different time zone and we'd like to be able to see and add to each other's goals, get reminders via email and SMS and track completion. Google gives me a bunch of them but I'd love to get recommendations. Thanks!

Try sharing a Google calendar. It does all of that.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

randyest posted:

Use a gift card or paypal and make a foreign itunes account. Read this thread; there are several ways and one or the other may work or not depending on where you and the music you want are located: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424007&page=2

That's a lot of trouble merely getting them to get my money :argh: Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Wheezy, unfortunately, Amazon MP3 does not seem to want to sell to me either, and I do not really feel like pursuing yet another false identity :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
My grandparents had a cool chair thing which you can carry with you, and it pokes into mud and unfolds, handy for events and such that you go to and find a field with no seating, like fireworks displays or airshows, what are they called?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
How do I find a jeweler to re-size a band that is trustworthy? I don't know how much of this is scary old wives tales about jewelers swapping out diamonds for cubic zirconia, but I'm going to be buying a diamond ring from a friend of mine and I want to make sure I take it to someone with a good reputation, but I don't even know how to look into something like that. Usually I use Yelp with a grain of salt, but this is a nice ring so I want to put a bit more care into what kind of jeweler I let spend any amount of time alone with it.

Am I just being paranoid or is this a real thing to be concerned about? No one in my family, or any of my friends, really has any nice jewelry so I can't go off personal recommendations.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Crankit posted:

My grandparents had a cool chair thing which you can carry with you, and it pokes into mud and unfolds, handy for events and such that you go to and find a field with no seating, like fireworks displays or airshows, what are they called?

I think you're talking about camp(ing) chairs.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

VROOM VROOM posted:

I think you're talking about camp(ing) chairs.

Thanks, that's a pretty neat chair but it's not what I'm thinking of, it's kind of like a half javelin with a sling on top, a bit like a hammock for your rear end.
I've tried to draw one they're quite light and easy to carry as you can tie it to a rucksack or whatever.

edit: VVVV That's it! That's it!

Crankit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2012

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Shooting sticks, or "walking stick seats" if you want to be clunky.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Can anyone confirm that this is a legitimate site to buy a domain name from? http://www.domains.cz/en

Also in the TOS

quote:

Ruled for registration of .CZ domains

8. The Manager keeps secret the data that the Applicant provides for the purpose of registration. The Applicant's personal data are handled in full accordance with the Law on Data Protection (law no. 101/2000 Coll.). The Applicant is aware and agrees that the data of the owner of the registered domain, which are included in the databases of national registrars, are publicly accessible and that these data, after the placement of a query about a specific domain name, are provided by means of the DOMAIN.CZ server as a processed data output from these databases. The Applicant must inform the Manager about changes to any registration data (name, address, e-mail).

Is this standard for buying a domain name or is this a reason to not use .cz/this service? What do they mean by data, just where the site goes or my personal data?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
They aren't listed on http://www.nic.cz/whois/registrars/list/1/ so I would probably go to one of the URLs on that page.

Edit: Never mind, they're Active 24, and if you go to their site through the link on that page (and they're the #1 link), and click English, it takes you right to domains.cz. So they would appear to be completely reputable. As for the rest of your questions, I don't know.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Econosaurus posted:

What do they mean by data, just where the site goes or my personal data?

The data required for the domain registration, as listed (name, address, e-mail). Normally domain owners' contact data is required to be easily available to third parties through whois services.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I didn't file my taxes last year. Can I file those this year along with my current taxes and get refunds for both years? Or am I boned?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Damonic posted:

I didn't file my taxes last year. Can I file those this year along with my current taxes and get refunds for both years? Or am I boned?

You can and should file both ASAP. You might have a penalty if you owed taxes from last year's tax return but you could still end up with some refund back. You aren't going to be thrown in jail or anything though. They won't go away if you don't file, though. You're still responsible for filing no matter how late it is. A couple of my friends didn't do their taxes for several years and it was a big headache to get them done all at once, but it has to be done.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

2508084 posted:

How do I find a jeweler to re-size a band that is trustworthy? I don't know how much of this is scary old wives tales about jewelers swapping out diamonds for cubic zirconia, but I'm going to be buying a diamond ring from a friend of mine and I want to make sure I take it to someone with a good reputation, but I don't even know how to look into something like that. Usually I use Yelp with a grain of salt, but this is a nice ring so I want to put a bit more care into what kind of jeweler I let spend any amount of time alone with it.

Am I just being paranoid or is this a real thing to be concerned about? No one in my family, or any of my friends, really has any nice jewelry so I can't go off personal recommendations.
If its a decent and recent diamond it'll have a serial number laser engraved on the girdle of the gem. You can see it with a jewelers loupe. It should match the diamond certificate's serial number, if you have one. If not, or if it's an old ring, you should be getting it appraised anyway (while you wait and keep an eye on it) so you can then get it re-appraised after (someone else) resizes the band. You can also have someone add a serial number to it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is theft of diamonds really such a big problem? Everything I've ever read says that thanks to De Beers' total control of the industry there is virtually no secondhand market for the things and it's impossible to use them as a long-term investment for the same reason.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Damonic posted:

There's a income tax thread in BFC with some very knowledgeable people in it. They'll probably be able to help you answer the questions that will inevitably come up when you start tackling this.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Is theft of diamonds really such a big problem? Everything I've ever read says that thanks to De Beers' total control of the industry there is virtually no secondhand market for the things and it's impossible to use them as a long-term investment for the same reason.
De beers sucks but there is still a big market for secondhand (and stolen) gems. That said I don't think it's a big problem with jewelers replacing diamonds with CZ when resizing bands and such. Especially not major chain jewelers, but maybe could happen at some local shady guy.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Excel help alert!

So at work, we're going to be sending out postcards to our customers who have not ordered past June 2011.

I have a list of the customer(column a), when they ordered(column b), and what they ordered(column c).

Is there some way I can make excel highlight or delete the information I don't need?

Here is what I'm thinking:

Let's say I split the data into orders AFTER and BEFORE June 2011.

I then some how make Excel check both the customer name and what they ordered from the BEFORE list against the AFTER list and highlight the 'duplicate' data in the AFTER list.

So basically, if This and This matches That and That, highlight This information.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
You can use conditional formatting to accomplish this. Not sure it's quite the best method, but say that your list of BEFORE names is in A, and your list of AFTER names is in C, and that you've got 100 BEFORE names.

In C1, go to conditional formatting (on the Home tab), go to Highlight Cell Rules, and select More Rules. Choose "use a formula..." and type in =OR($A$1:$A$100=C1) Click on the "Format..." and select a background color.

Once you've applied that to the first AFTER name, copy it, highlight the entire AFTER column, right click, "Paste Special..." and pick "Formatting".

To explain that formula: The $ symbol locks the row/column as constant, even when you copy and paste it. (So we want the range of cells to be constant, but the cell it's searching for to be the current one.) The OR statement is true if the current cell is equal to any of the cells in the range A1:A100.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
So I have a problem with craigslist 'ghosting' my ads (It takes me through all the steps and even shows me the page listing, but when I look in craigslist the ad isn't there).

I'm outside the US now, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it (when I was living US I never had this problem). Googling only takes me to sites with people saying "buy my book to learn all the secrets of craigslist". I've tried different emails and proxys and still nothing. Anyone got any ideas?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Is there any way to get paypal to stop offering me a Mastercard every time I try to buy something? It does that stupid little loading... popup box... <click NO>... unloading... animation every time, and I don't want a Mastercard. :argh:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Did I just see Progress M-14M go by?

I saw some kind of rocket fly overhead at about 12:50 AM PST, here in San Diego, CA. It appeared in the south part of the sky and went across the western sky for a while, then got fainter until the engine throttled back and cut off. We see launches now and then from Vandenberg, but they usually start off towards the northwest, and besides there's nothing scheduled. The only other thing I can think of is that it's the Progress doing a main engine burn. I can't find any orbital data on it but assuming it's roughly in the same orbital plane as the ISS, it could have been in that part of the sky at the time, unless I'm way off.

Any space goons out there that can tell me if I have this right? Orbital maneuvers don't exactly make front page news.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I was searching for a thread somewhere on the forums where I could post this before I made a new one, and thought it was worth asking here first.

I have several gmail accounts, A) one I made when I was a teenager(and my current primary e-mail), B) a more recent one that is fairly more professionally named than video games references, and C) my school e-mail(which uses the gmail system).

Right now I have everything forward to A, where I keep everything nice and clean and labeled correctly so I can easily find everything. I currently have it set up so I log into A and can send(and receive) e-mail from B&C while logged into A, it's just that sometimes on the receiving end it's like "From: Professional@gmail.com <on behalf of megamanxxx1234@gmail.com">", which isn't how I want to present myself to colleagues.

I want to know if there is a nice way to go through and switch my main account(the one I log into on a daily basis) to B, and somehow keep my organization from A with it or if I'm hosed and need to start from scratch and go through the thousands of e-mails in B to sort them out.

I use the gmail web interface for everything instead of a program like Mail since I use multiple computers every day. I just want to get this poo poo straightened out and want to know if there exists an easier way of doing it than by hand.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

gmail

If both accounts are @gmail.com, "<on behalf of>" should not be showing up.
Are all three accounts hosted @gmail.com, or do either of the alternatives have different domains?

If they're all gmail and you're still getting that, try this:

Gmail > Settings > Accounts & Import

Under Send mail as:, click 'edit info' next to the two alternatives, and make sure "treat as an alias" is enabled. If it already is AND they're all @gmail.com AND you're still getting <on behalf of>, let me know and we can progress.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Travakian posted:

If both accounts are @gmail.com, "<on behalf of>" should not be showing up.
Are all three accounts hosted @gmail.com, or do either of the alternatives have different domains?

If they're all gmail and you're still getting that, try this:

Gmail > Settings > Accounts & Import

Under Send mail as:, click 'edit info' next to the two alternatives, and make sure "treat as an alias" is enabled. If it already is AND they're all @gmail.com AND you're still getting <on behalf of>, let me know and we can progress.

A and B are gmail.com, C is a school domain but uses the google apps interface. All of the mail accounts have "treat as an alias" checked.

I found someone with a @yahoo account and sent an e-mail, and through his iPhone at least nothing appeared amiss. Perhaps it was something that just happened in the past and I'm just now getting around to looking into it, only it's something that's been fixed? Maybe I'm worrying about a problem that no longer exists?

I guess despite it being fine, in the future I would like to switch things so I can login with B, just so that's more natural. Do you have any suggestions for switching things over, or just forward anything important and start fresh?

EDIT: I completely forgot, I have all my photo's uploaded to google photo with paid storage on A, so the switch will not be only on e-mails. Should I just suck it up and switch everything over the hard way? Goddamn this is going to be difficult...

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
While there's Gmail chat going on, I might as well add a question.

Is there any way to download all your saved emails and attachments in Gmail, or are you stuck doing each one manually? I want to close one of my Gmail accounts but there is a lot of correspondence that I want to keep for posterity and memory's sake.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

More gmail!

EDIT: I completely forgot, I have all my photo's uploaded to google photo with paid storage on A, so the switch will not be only on e-mails. Should I just suck it up and switch everything over the hard way? Goddamn this is going to be difficult...

Ehh, just switch it over then. Use this guide; it'll automate it. Not sure about Google Photo, though you could get in touch with their customer support and see if you can move the subscription over.

If you send an email from A@gmail.com or B@gmail.com AS C@school.com, I believe it will by default read "A@gmail.com on behalf of C@school.com;" edit the "Send mail as" info so that it sends from the school's servers (only, put in gmail's info there when it asks).

when worlds collide posted:

Backing up entire account / downloading attachments

If you want to back up your entire account, you'll need a third-party tool; I've heard decent things about Gmail Backup. Here are some alternatives.

Saving specific emails aside, if you'd rather go through and find all emails with attachments so you can pick and choose what to download, you can use the search operator has:attachment.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Travakian posted:

If you want to back up your entire account, you'll need a third-party tool; I've heard decent things about Gmail Backup. Here are some alternatives.

Saving specific emails aside, if you'd rather go through and find all emails with attachments so you can pick and choose what to download, you can use the search operator has:attachment.

Oh wow, thank you! You've just saved me hundreds of hours of mundane work. I had -no- idea anything like that existed. Not the nerd I used to be, that's for sure. Cheers.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

when worlds collide posted:

Oh wow, thank you! You've just saved me hundreds of hours of mundane work. I had -no- idea anything like that existed. Not the nerd I used to be, that's for sure. Cheers.

All good. Slight change to my last post-- you don't need a third-party tool, it just simplifies things.

If you're concerned about potentially giving access to your account to an outsider, download Thunderbird and bring all your email in via IMAP then find a plugin or tool that can make a backup/archive of everything from there.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's the medical name for the therapeutic treatment where adhesive pads are placed on the skin in various spots to stimulate muscles through gentle electric pulses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dudebro posted:

What's the medical name for the therapeutic treatment where adhesive pads are placed on the skin in various spots to stimulate muscles through gentle electric pulses?
Copying the text in your post into google verbatim suggests it's either TENS or maybe EMS.