Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Samu posted:

I have actually never had anyone correct my dress or deportment ever while just walking around. People always say you're going to get jacked up for ridiculous reasons and they're normally full of poo poo.
Don't you have bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I have actually never had anyone correct my dress or deportment ever while just walking around. People always say you're going to get jacked up for ridiculous reasons and they're normally full of poo poo.

Yeah I wear my rain jacket with the bottom button undone constantly, an icebreaker toque, no gloves, I never polish my boots, and I've never been jacket up for dress. :iiam:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Are daypacks out of the question in Halifax or what?

In number 3 orders of dress, yes. Also Esquimalt. Backpacks (grey and/or black only, please) are fine in work dress (combats) though a lot of jr. Os still seem to carry them everywhere?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I've been jacked up all over Petawawa for not being in the proper dress. I got jacked up for not having my beret on in the grocery store by some dude out of uniform for gently caress's sake.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

I've been jacked up all over Petawawa for not being in the proper dress. I got jacked up for not having my beret on in the grocery store by some dude out of uniform for gently caress's sake.
Yea, I got that a bunch too. I hate hats, especially stupid looking ones. I took that fucker off every chance I got.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Getting jacked up is hilarious. Your beret areas is in violations! Ya'lls starting to look like a buncha Elvises! Oh no someone is mad at me guys what do I do?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Getting jacked up is hilarious. Your beret areas is in violations! Ya'lls starting to look like a buncha Elvises! Oh no someone is mad at me guys what do I do?
I was yelled at to get a haircut once. I waited another two weeks, because I'm a badass like that :c00l:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wow, after three years in limbo I'm getting sworn in tomorrow! Are there any tips from you guys? If I have a choice, should I go for a weekend basic training (Vancouver) or try to get it done in the summer all at once? Pros and cons of each? I do have a full time day job but my contract ends in May and I have nothing lined up.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Get it all done in one shot. That way when people make fun of you for being a reservist, you can at least claim to do a semi-real basic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do whatever accommodates your lifestyle and real job. Basic is such a tiny part of your training that nobody will notice or care what kind you did in the future.

Speaking of basic, what are they calling the NCM reg-force basic course now? Is it BMQ? I've got to send an email.

And for the dude looking for advice:

tuyop posted:

Don't take it too seriously. You might get to a point where things like polished boots or loose beds actually bother you on some level. This is an indication that you are taking it too seriously.

Run and do pushups. If you have any other fitness regimen right now, sub in lots more running and pushups. You will find life infinitely easier if you can run a 5:30 mile and do 60 pushups because these are the primary qualities of a Good Soldier according to CFLRS.

Watch this video. Practice folding a shirt this way. Wow your peers with your immaculate, quickly folded t-shirts. Folding a t-shirt to specific measurements is another important quality of a Good Soldier according to CFLRS.

In line with Simkin's advice, almost never ask questions. Your questions may seem pertinent and smart but they're usually just going to waste everyone's time or make everyone's life worse. Before you ask ANYTHING, think about whether the answer could possibly make your life more difficult. Such as, "What do we do with our cell phones?" If the staff haven't taken them away yet. The answer to this question will be that the staff will take away your cell phones. Apply this to things like, "Do we bring our gas masks?" "Are we packing our second sleeping bag for the ruck march?" Stuff like that.

freeze posted:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

simkin posted:

Tell everyone about your previous experience in the militia (even if you had none). Refuse to use that experience to make your platoon's life easier.

Alternatively, pay attention, don't ask staff stupid questions about previous service like 'How many people did you kill?' and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

samu posted:

Don't start smoking, don't ask questions, if people tell you to do stupid things just do them. Don't think too much, don't be lazy or a bitch. Take the course seriously enough to not be a pump but always realise that all of the poo poo you're doing has very little bearing on whether or not you'll make a good soldier beyond teaching you to work hard and well with people you probably hate. Don't use the toiletries you have out on your shelf for inspection. Remember that you can do anything you want in the army as long as you don't get caught.

And hey people who are fit and can do well at PT get treated a lot better than fatties, in the army at least.

MA-Horus posted:

Be outstandingly average. Don't break the mold, don't make yourself noticeable, don't be an individual. DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING. Help your buddies as much as you can, as long as it doesn't get you extra duty.

Barraketh posted:

gently caress being a grey man. You only get to be a plug once.

Go all out. Name your rifle Widow-maker and say that she loves you for who you are and not your uniform. Start every morning inspection with a hearty "Why, hi there! Master of Corporals Bloggins!" and extend your hand at eye level for him to shake it. When the scoldings become too much switch to "Prrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiii-VATE Bloggins *service number* Super soldier extra-or-di-naire!".

Sew string to every article of clothing you have so you'll never lose it.

Make up fantastical stories of your platoon's VC recipient, each more elaborate than the last. The same goes for the biography you must write about yourself.

Volunteer for everything. Volunteer your friends for everything. Volunteer the staff for everything.

Demand that your friends and family send you food like cured venision or smoked salmon in the biggest boxes possible. Ensure every letter you receive is drenched in skanky stripper perfume.

Always, always ask if you need your helmets or gas mask.

We went on an advice bender in December. Fill your boots with this valuable knowledge!

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I feel there should be an addendum to "ask no questions". In other words, ALWAYS ask questions, specifically during breaks. That way you prevent idleness from taking root in your warlike souls.

As to whether doing your BMQ on week-ends or full time... General consensus among us militia bums is that doing all your qualifications in one big summer block is superior. You'll learn from more thorough and better framed training, thus giving you the solid base you need for the rest of the gong show.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Mantle posted:

Wow, after three years in limbo I'm getting sworn in tomorrow! Are there any tips from you guys? If I have a choice, should I go for a weekend basic training (Vancouver) or try to get it done in the summer all at once? Pros and cons of each? I do have a full time day job but my contract ends in May and I have nothing lined up.

Uhmmmm...

Summer in Vancouver

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

We went on an advice bender in December. Fill your boots with this valuable knowledge!

I am now officially an untrained private!

As for knowledge, I was thinking more along the lines of advice on how to not get stuck with lovely or broken equipment that doesn't fit. How to make sure my boots fit for the ruck march. Is it better to get gloves that have space at the fingertips or space at the webbing? I read something about getting gortex socks too?

That kind of stuff because I figure once it's assigned it's hard to change.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Mantle posted:

As for knowledge, I was thinking more along the lines of advice on how to not get stuck with lovely or broken equipment that doesn't fit. How to make sure my boots fit for the ruck march. Is it better to get gloves that have space at the fingertips or space at the webbing? I read something about getting gortex socks too?

Our equipment is actually pretty new. There's useless stuff but the key things are really awesome. Don't worry about gloves, you'll never wear your gortex socks either.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

Our equipment is actually pretty new. There's useless stuff but the key things are really awesome. Don't worry about gloves, you'll never wear your gortex socks either.
I tried to get some before desert ram/maple guardian last year and they said they don't issue them anymore.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

All that stuff will kind of sort itself out as your training progresses. Without having seen you, I'd say that your uniform is probably too big, just because it usually takes each person some time and a few replacements to figure out which size actually looks good on them.

Gloves, it's important to have tight fingertips. You don't need to spread your hand really wide as much as you need to grab little nitpicky things quickly.

The only way to know if your boots fit for a ruck march is to go do a ruck march. It's only discomfort if they don't, and if they do, you'll know it.

The gortex socks loving suck. Stay away! They'll bunch up and give you toe blisters.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Inspect each piece of clothing and gear you get before signing that dotted line making you the owner. Don't let the clerk, whose usually a civy, just toss poo poo at you. Remember that we recycle our gear as much as possible and act accordingly. If the ground sheet smells like vomit, don't take it. If the sleeping bag is losing stuffing, or it's 2 inner shells, don't take it. gently caress the clerks. They're on your time, right now. A simple "could I look through all this before signing?" won't kill them and will save all involved time and money.

Also, I hope you have a car or a friend who has one because you will be getting a lot of gear. Think 2 duffel bags, a ruck sack and a barrack box bursting with stuff.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

Inspect each piece of clothing and gear you get before signing that dotted line making you the owner. Don't let the clerk, whose usually a civy, just toss poo poo at you. Remember that we recycle our gear as much as possible and act accordingly. If the ground sheet smells like vomit, don't take it. If the sleeping bag is losing stuffing, or it's 2 inner shells, don't take it. gently caress the clerks. They're on your time, right now. A simple "could I look through all this before signing?" won't kill them and will save all involved time and money.
Works if you don't go to St-Jean, probably. If you go to St-Jean, let those dudes toss all the poo poo they want at you. You'll be carted off to a drill square to lay everything on the ground and hold it up in the air like you're 4. If anything is missing, you'll get it. If anything is broken they'll switch it out.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Works if you don't go to St-Jean, probably. If you go to St-Jean, let those dudes toss all the poo poo they want at you. You'll be carted off to a drill square to lay everything on the ground and hold it up in the air like you're 4. If anything is missing, you'll get it. If anything is broken they'll switch it out.

Oh god I remember this. It was humiliating.

For me at least. For the few people who couldn't comprehend Simon Says, it was a challenging class :downs:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The best was the people who somehow managed to lose all their kit on the march from drill hall to the shacks. Like entire kit bags worth of stuff vanishing on them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's that army of tiny men we're apparently mobilizing. They've been stealing kit from recruits for years now.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Well, I got a pair of WINTER BOOTS, MEN'S, CF, DRESS, BLACK in the mail today. The fit is okay, but more importantly no more crazy rubber galoshes or fun walks through snowbanks in dress socks and oxfords. Patiently awaiting my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE, UNISEX for proper office kit-out. :f5:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

What job do you have where you actually wear that stuff?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Currently riding a desk at MARLANT HQ.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Corner Brook:

Jesus, I didn't think the damage was that bad.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And the guy said it would just buff right out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

:stonk:

I don't think that'll ever be repaired fully. Christ, what a mess.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

What is that and what happened?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
HMCS Cornerbrook and it ran into the bottom last summer (or was it spring?) The worst of that is the bow sonar dome, which isn't structural. I think it's fiberglass? That said who knows how much damage there actually is, and what the spare parts situation is for a 20+ year old, foreign-built four vessel class (another of which is also damaged).

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
--

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 12, 2014

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

swagger like us posted:

Words
It's really up to you if you want to go on tour as infantry. Good money in it. But why delay getting your degree? If you put off finishing it there's a higher chance the position you want might be staffed. There's also a chance that you finish your degree in the year - year and a half range and they don't need anyone at that time. A little extra money is good, but your school is presumably being paid for by the reserves. So you shouldn't let anyone influence you and do what you think is best for you.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

EDIT: gently caress,looking at my post history I realized I already asked the first question and someone offered to PM me. Aarp, you got an email I can get in touch?

email removed

aarp fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 28, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

It's really up to you if you want to go on tour as infantry. Good money in it. But why delay getting your degree? If you put off finishing it there's a higher chance the position you want might be staffed. There's also a chance that you finish your degree in the year - year and a half range and they don't need anyone at that time. A little extra money is good, but your school is presumably being paid for by the reserves. So you shouldn't let anyone influence you and do what you think is best for you.

The reserves only pay half tuition up to $2000 so he's probably still paying most of it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I always thought you got a full ride. lovely deal. Go for the tour then man. Get that poo poo paid off

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

My advice: Finish your schooling, start working on your CT now and apply for OP Attention as well.

Tours come and go all the time. Stay in the army long enough and, eventually, you'll get your kick at the bucket. I wouldn't pay attention to what others have to say about OP Attention, either. In the end, the only words you can believe are your own.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Regarding OP ATTENTION, my job has changed three times and my destination in Afghanistan has changed three times. In the last two weeks. Still a month away from deploying.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Ruse posted:

Corner Brook:

Jesus, I didn't think the damage was that bad.

Its not as bad as it looks... like compressioncut said the part that was damaged was the bow sonar array, which is all fiberglass (crumple zone). NDT will have to be done on the forward pressure dome (not visible in your picture) to see if there is any damage, but everything you see there is easily repairable (albeit expensive to replace the array).

In other news I and the rest of Vic are back two weeks early reasons I can't tell you about... Not a bad trials period tho.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

compressioncut posted:

That said who knows how much damage there actually is, and what the spare parts situation is for a 20+ year old, foreign-built four vessel class (another of which is also damaged).

The Chicoutimi is actually in the best overall shape of the 4... the fire damage was really localized and the only reason it wasn't fixed earlier was budgetary. Spares remain a huge issue class wide tho.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Lt. Jebus posted:

"...but everything you see there is easily repairable..."

I'm sensing a trend here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Ruse posted:

I'm sensing a trend here.

And that would be?