Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Pretty much any stock supermoto seat is like a 2x4

My WR has a pretty comfy stock seat, but I'm so fat that I compress it into a 2x4 anyhow :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Pretty much any stock supermoto seat is like a 2x4

I bought the "ergo" seat for my KTM, it's not that much more comfortable than the standard.

I was thinking for longer trips to wear cycling knicks under my clothes to pad things out a little more.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People on thumpertalk or whatever recommend some corbin seat but I'm always too lazy to actually figure out which one I need. If someone is nice enough to recommend something I can just search for on ebay that is not terrible and fits a drz400sm I'll probably buy it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

People on thumpertalk or whatever recommend some corbin seat but I'm always too lazy to actually figure out which one I need. If someone is nice enough to recommend something I can just search for on ebay that is not terrible and fits a drz400sm I'll probably buy it.
This is what they're recommending: http://corbin.com/suzuki/drz400.shtml

Corbin S-DRZ-400-S is the part number. As far as I know it's the only aftermarket seat that offers a significantly wider seat. I can't comment on it otherwise, though, since I've never used one.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

You ok buddy?

Id check thumpertalk and ebay for parts.

All of my friends have been crashing lately :(

I'm not telling what happened until you get back online, dirtbag.:ocelot:

All in all I'm fine though, thanks for asking. :)

Ok so for the DRZ to be V2.0 battle ready I need a new right radiator, a WHITE right shroud (ideally with the 2008 graphics, or a place I can buy that stupid sticker) , a slider that looks like this:
but for the front (gotta match maaaan...) - I'm not sure what brand it is so its hard to find this particular one, it was on the bike when i bought it.

Lastly my handlebars are all out of whack. The forks are good, and the bars are not bent, it looks like the risers are all out of alighment. (renthal bars)
Is it as easy as loosening the bolts, wiggling the bars till they're straight and retightening, or do I need to buy some new rubber bits? The insurance guy said new rubber bits but he also said a new radiator was $400 :jerkbag:

I'll check out bikebandit, but also thumpertalk and ebay. Thanks all!

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Just loosen the long bolts under the top triple and the four clamp screws on the bar clamps, shake everything around and it should all line up. It happens pretty much every time the bars hit something solid, but it's never actually bent something in my experience.

Also those sliders are stock as far as I know, maybe try bikebandit or w/e for em? Or up your street cred and make a set from skate wheels.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

This is what they're recommending: http://corbin.com/suzuki/drz400.shtml

Corbin S-DRZ-400-S is the part number. As far as I know it's the only aftermarket seat that offers a significantly wider seat. I can't comment on it otherwise, though, since I've never used one.

Goddamn, not cheap. Looks better though.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you're just after looks SDG makes some nice looking seats. Mainly a MX brand though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had the Corbin on my drz and it wasnt too impressed with it. It was hard, and the wide part would rub on the upper parts of my thighs and get annoying after a while. Realistically I wasn't able to superslab much longer than my friend who had a drz with the stock seat

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I got my radiator replacement in the mail and plan on picking up some coolant tonight. is there a special kind I should be looking out for? Does pep boys carry whatever I need hopefully? Theres one a mile from my place.
After that the bike is ready to rock again. :getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just run straight distilled water.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Trolling or truth....?

I'll do it if you say so, but currently my coolant is green v:shobon:v

CA weather I guess?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What does the owner's manual say to use?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Crosspost from the questions thread:

Anyone ever have problems with an LED taillight staying on with the key off? It's not either of the brake light switches - those work fine. It's also definitely not in parking mode.

Bike is an '05 DRZ400SM with some form of LED taillight assembly and a small license plate LED light wired in to one of the license plate holes.

We just had a huge rainstorm and the bike was caught out all night during it - anyone familiar with a specific area where water could cause this?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I got my radiator replacement in the mail and plan on picking up some coolant tonight. is there a special kind I should be looking out for? Does pep boys carry whatever I need hopefully? Theres one a mile from my place.
After that the bike is ready to rock again. :getin:

I've always run regular 50/50 from Walmart and the like with no issues. Some people claim that "normal" coolant contains silicates that are harmful to aluminum radiators, and that you should stick to bike-specific formulas. Whatever floats your boat.

Do not run distilled water as coolant unless temperatures never drop below freezing where you live. If that's the case, distilled water works great and as an added bonus, you'll be track-legal for racing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fun camera angle
http://vimeo.com/31334552

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Do not run distilled water as coolant unless temperatures never drop below freezing where you live. If that's the case, distilled water works great and as an added bonus, you'll be track-legal for racing.

There's probably still a bunch of antifreeze in the system, even with one radiator busted, so he's probably fine as is. Plus LA basically never freezes, and if it does, its not hard enough / long enough to cause problems.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

There's probably still a bunch of antifreeze in the system, even with one radiator busted, so he's probably fine as is. Plus LA basically never freezes, and if it does, its not hard enough / long enough to cause problems.

In that case, he should just go with LA city tapwater, the minerals are plenty to keep the bike from freezing or overheating.

Should he put antifreeze in more towards the summer when the temps get higher?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Do not use tap water.

Coolant usually has a bunch of other chemicals in it for anticorrosion and the like, it's not just to prevent freezing. Running the right mix is a good idea regardless of weather.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Distilled water is also great if you're sweating your rear end off at the track and need a drink. Coolant not so much.

Nobody adds water wetter?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has anyone here ever used Evans waterless coolant? Saw Jay Leno talking about it on his site a few weeks ago and it looks pretty cool. http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127

Lots of offroader/enduro guys use it apparently. I just found a retailer in the uk that'll ship to Ireland and debating buying it. I'd be interested to hear anyones personal experience of it.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Water + wetter is the way to go in my opinion, especially if you don't have to worry about freezing weather. Wetter provides some lubrication you get with coolant (I think?), and in the event you dump coolant all over the place, well it was just some water and not weird chemically coolant. If you want to go to the track, you're set. And it will be that much easier to change coolant more regularly, since all you have to do is let water spill out (wetter is non toxic too I believe).

And yeah, tap water has stuff in it that your cooling system does not want.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ's :black101:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do not use tap water.

Coolant usually has a bunch of other chemicals in it for anticorrosion and the like, it's not just to prevent freezing. Running the right mix is a good idea regardless of weather.

Pure water actually dissipates heat better. The only advantage of antifreeze is resistance to freezing, it's inferior as a coolant otherwise. If you're paranoid about "lubrication for the cooling system", you can throw in some water wetter. In my experience, though, there is no place for the coolant to "lubricate" anything. Never seen corrosion, either, no matter what bike I was on (multiple years running straight water in the trackbike, 50k on a streetbike in all weather over a year and a half).

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 26, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

DRZ's :black101:

When I first saw this I was like what the gently caress, how is that huge front wheel attached to that bike :wtc:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

50k on a streetbike in all weather over a year and a half).

"all weather" for you is like summer for a lot of us

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

"all weather" for you is like summer for a lot of us

That's why it's worth it to give up home ownership to live in CA. :v:

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

echomadman posted:

Has anyone here ever used Evans waterless coolant? Saw Jay Leno talking about it on his site a few weeks ago and it looks pretty cool. http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127

Lots of offroader/enduro guys use it apparently. I just found a retailer in the uk that'll ship to Ireland and debating buying it. I'd be interested to hear anyones personal experience of it.

Surprising lack of reviews online for it despite the product being 15+ years old now.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Can anyone who's ridden dirt on both expound on the difference between your average street tire and the Distanzias? I'm trying to get a clearer picture of what I'd be giving up on the street (if anything), and what I'd be gaining off-road.

I've done some trail riding on my Pilot Powers, in addition to your average light off-road hooliganism, and they were definitely more capable than I expected. Of course, the complete absence of tread (especially on the sidewalls) means off-camber or deeper-than-hardpack stuff is a non-starter, but I never expected it to handle like my mountain bike.

So, how much better is a tire like the Distanzia? Will the front track better in the dirt? Will the rear grab better going up stairs and over curbs? Obviously they aren't knobbies, but what kind of improvement could I expect over my Michelins?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd say they are a bit better, but still as long as you are talking mostly hard pack. The difference is you have a chance of starting out in looser stuff and not insta-crashing in small amounts of slick muck.

Most of the time, there wasn't a huge noticeable difference between distanzias and the normal street tires I was running on my DRZ when I made my trips to the ORV park. Anything sketchy, was sketchy on both.

On fire roads I felt the distanzias did provide some advantages and weren't so washy in a layer of gravel. They wont perform miracles. On the street, I could hardly tell that there was less grip. At anything short of hard track use, they are great street tires.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you've never had street tires offroad, you might be surprised how well they do. They arent dirt tires obviously, but they arent insta-crash territory either.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If you've never had street tires offroad, you might be surprised how well they do. They arent dirt tires obviously, but they arent insta-crash territory either.

My pilot powers even held up pretty good at this dinky little faux-mx track near by for some goofing around. Lots of wheelspin and you can't really square off corners but they did ok.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Over Christmas i rode about 1-200km on hard packed dirt on my pilot powers and they were fine. At first i was pretty poo poo scared to go above 40km/h but after a bit i had no worries at 80-90km/h. The water crossing that was a bit deeper than i expected and covered in more algae than expected on the other hand...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, algae is a whole other world, and can take out dirt tires just as easily.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

toolshed posted:

I've done some trail riding on my Pilot Powers, in addition to your average light off-road hooliganism, and they were definitely more capable than I expected.

;)

But you're right, and that's exactly why I was asking - if street tires are a 5/10 on dirt, I'm trying to get a better idea if Distanzias are more like a 6, or an 8.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They're much closer to street tires than dirt tires.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It seems like distanzas only helped when I tried to tackle wet ground and mud. Otherwise regular street tires were fine. I guess it depends on where you push yourself the hardest and thus where you're going to need the most grip. My answer is on the tarmac.

I still don't understand how the racers haul so much rear end in the dirt on slicks though. I'm guessing they just pin it and spin the whole way while pointing in the general direction they mean to go.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My experience of the Distanzia has been much the same as Gnaghi, it's definitely better than a more traditional street tyre, especially when there's a little mud or gravel. Wet grass and similar has put me on my arse though.

I think with racers they are generally using the banking and ruts to stop them getting out of line (and a healthy dose of throttle). I have a quite heavily rutted 'goat-track' short-cut that I sometimes take which sometimes gets quite slippy. I found that keeping your weight/throttle bias firmly to the rear and using the ruts is about the only way.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Incoming wall of text....

My wife has finally decided that me getting a DRZ may not bring about the apocalypse. It looks like I'll be able to hoon it up soon. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the dirt. I have a ton of trails very close to me that are perfect for camping/long rides. I haven't been on dirt in almost 9 years now. I did race MX a bit when I lived in GA though and I spent my childhood on dirtbikes. Things are a bit different now though, I live in CA, I pay for my own bikes and I don't heal as quickly as I used to.

Let's start off with the bike/budget first. I'm getting about $4700 back on my taxes this year. I should have this within the next 2 weeks. My budget for a DRZ is around $3k, but I can go higher ($3500) if the bike is worth it. Upgrades/mods are a plus, but I really enjoy doing the work on the bikes myself so stock works too. I know there are variations for the DRZ, there's the E, the S and the SM to my knowledge. Did I miss one? I plan to be doing a lot of fire-roads/trail riding and eventually I would love to do either a Baja (Not so into decapitation by a cartel though) or Alaska trip. That's a long ways off though, so would all of the DRZ's work for me or one version work better than the rest? I can and plan to add the SM wheel-set etc. later on unless I find a bike that comes with the extra's. What should I be looking at on the bikes I go see that's symptomatic of problems? Most bikes have their own special "quirks", does the DRZ have any I need to watch for?

Gear! I haven't looked into dual-sport/dirtbike riding gear in a long time. I will be commuting on this bike about 12 miles each way to work. I already have a street helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and pants. Do I need to go buy a whole new gear set for riding in dirt? I know I'm going to get MX boots because I value walking, but what about knee-pads, chest protectors, spine protectors, offroad helmets and all that fun stuff?

Camping, it rocks and we loves it precious... I love to go backpacking and when I lived in GA it wasn't uncommon for me to disappear on my little 250 for a few days. I use a hammock rather than a tent and I already have lightweight cookware, thermal clothing, camelbaks etc. Is there anything out there that just makes motorcycle camping "better"? I've never used hard bags before, I always just take my trusty back pack but it might be cool to have the extra storage. I tend to ride like a bit of a hooligan sometimes, are hard cases going to interfere with this?

I like gadgets and I want to make sure I'm geared for war when I go out. I want to get a small pump for re-inflating my tires for street use after riding dirt. I would also like to install a 12v kit if anyone has any recommendations. I've seen some amazing stuff on ADVrider and Thumpertalk about toolkits for the DRZ. I really liked the "molded" foam mod that put all the tools just under the seat. Is there a list of exactly what tools I should carry for emergency repairs? I doubt I'll be doing a valve job on the trail, but I want to make sure I have the tools I need. My plan is to pick up a SPOT locator once I get the bike. I prefer to ride with people, but I usually end up riding alone.

PS: I know a lot of this information is already in this thread. Unfortunately it's pretty spread out. I'm browsing here, ADVrider, Thumerptalk and BARF forums for bikes and advice. I'm on the central coast right between SF and LA, I hope I finally get to ride with some of you. drat I'm excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As for the DRZ's. If you think you want an SM, get an SM. They come with nicer suspension and a better swingarm. You can get dirt wheels for it (the E and S wheels are direct fit), cheaper than you can get SM wheels for the dirt model.

Other than that, they're all the same bike, but the E isnt street legal.

• Locked thread