Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's exactly what my parents say, and I've only ever known them to voluntarily donate money or resources to my private schools (on top of my tuition). Once they bought a big flat-screen television for a school club that welcomed me, because the club was showing movies on a 17" box and Dad (a bit of a film geek) thought that was so unjust. It's not that I'm not grateful, but do college kids really need to see Galaxy Quest in high-def more than urban schoolchildren need computers? There are so many kids who are only different from the way I was because they don't have rich parents - why do I deserve nice things and they don't? :smith:

You obviously worked harder, and they are black lazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want to go scuba diving with one of these jackholes. You see, if you run out of air, you share air on a second octopus (not the animal) regulator of your buddy. But if your buddy uses too much of his air, by not maintaining his tank properly or loving around underwater, you both loving drown.

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar

AwkwardKnob posted:

I showed him that argument you guys recommended and he responded:

"Your argument fails in its very first sentence, when it implies that there are 1000 points to be distributed, and that those points (food) will be there no matter how hard anyone works or how efficient (or inefficient) the workforce becomes. And when there stops being a real incentive or reward to work hard, those 1000 points will become 900, 800, 500 as working harder doesn't lead to any increase in standard of living, food, or even percentage grade in a class."

then:

"And you don't need a direct quote from Obama to know what he stands for, because you just have to look at the fact that he works for the council on foreign relations who don't try to hide the fact that they want a world with one government and two classes of people: the wealthy elite and the poor serfs who can barely survive one day to the next working 14 hour days."

So his stupid feel smug about being capitalist analogy is fundamentally flawed?

Also, by continuing to associate with someone like this is condoning his behavior.

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar

Glimm posted:

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use this response basically verbatim in the future whenever I see the stupid classroom experiment show up in my stream.

go right ahead, but please double check the math, i thought of that on the fly

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Cynnik posted:

go right ahead, but please double check the math, i thought of that on the fly

Math worked out pretty closely, only the 90% should be 86.66 points per student I think.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 26, 2012

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

KiloVictorDongs posted:

A friend of mine was pointing out that Obama had raised the national debt more than any other president ever, and as a result we were going to all die in nuclear fire or become gay or whatever it is conservatives currently fear. I responded by saying that it was ok to grow the debt in a recession to offset a lack of private sector demand, but I also recall seeing arguments that the debt doesn't matter floating around here. Is there anything else to say on this? My friend wasn't particularly convinced.

I don't think its ok to completely ignore the debt. But basically it boils down to this:

Governments can borrow money cheaply. I mean loving crazy cheap, 1-3% interest rates on a 20-30 year loan. They can easily take this money and invest it into the economy through Research, Education, or Infrastructure and get a return on that investment that beats 1-3%. So if the Government balances the budget completely, they're wasting the advantage that they have to help grow the economy more. And its even worse if they run a surplus because it means they're pulling money out of the economy and sitting on it, instead of allowing it to generate economic activity. Ideally, you want to keep the debt at a specific, manageable percentage of GDP. Essentially, you don't want your debt growing faster than your economy because then you're getting into trouble.

Part of the problem for people who don't get it, is that they subscribe to the fallacy that Government budgets are like a household budget, and that Government debt is the same as credit card debt. Except its really more similar to college loans. You take a large, low interest loan and use it to get an education that will significantly increase your income over the rest of your life. The long term financial benefits of the loan greatly exceed the near term debt.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Got this one from my grandfather. Sorry the giant comic sans serif doesn't come through.

Brennanite's Grandfather posted:

The Pope and Obama are on the same stage in Yankee Stadium in front of a huge crowd!

The Pope leans towards Mr. Obama and said, "Do you know that with one little wave of my hand I can make every person in this crowd go wild with joy?

"This joy will not be a momentary display, but will go deep into their hearts and they'll forever speak of this day and rejoice!"

Obama replied, "I seriously doubt that! With one little wave of your hand! Show me!"

So the Pope backhanded him and knocked him off the stage!

AND THE CROWD ROARED & CHEERED WILDLY and there was happiness throughout the land!

Kind'a brings a tear to your eye, don't it?

It should not surprise you that he got drunk during the state of the union address and wound up fighting the TV when Obama wouldn't stop talking. :sigh:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brennanite posted:

Got this one from my grandfather. Sorry the giant comic sans serif doesn't come through.

It should not surprise you that he got drunk during the state of the union address and wound up fighting the TV when Obama wouldn't stop talking. :sigh:

http://www.faithinpubliclife.org/ne...ce-and-poverty/

Catholic leadership has been more likely to backhand Republicans, lately.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Brennanite's Grandfather posted:

"This joy will not be a momentary display, but will go deep into their hearts and they'll forever speak of this day and rejoice!"

...for the great era of our Dear Leader hath thence begun, and from that very next day, whence Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. - purveryor of all things holy - swore the sacred oath of office and led us on our path to enlightenment.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everyone here has probably already watched it, but "The surprising truth about what motivates us" is a nice little video to send to people who think that money is what drives people to work harder/better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Soviet Commubot posted:

An old Army buddy of mine posted this on Facebook and I don't even know where to start:

Tell him there's a few thousand disabled vets out there who want him to stop saying stupid poo poo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Idea for ultimately futile counter-image to the comparison of patriotic troops to lazy OWS protestors:

"Why is it fine to ask him (soldier) to give his life, but not for him (douchey Gordon Gekko wannabe) to give slightly more taxes?"

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

PKJC posted:

Seriously, this. It pisses me off so much when people trot out the ideas of either inherent human equality or inequality to defend bootstrapper bullshit like this.

Maybe I'm just too angry to think straight, but I'll try an analogy that probably turns out stupid.

Say you go out rock-climbing with a friend, nice big mountain, but you've both spent a decent number of years practicing and doing this, so nothing insurmountable. Now suppose your friend's rope starts wearing out because he can't really afford to always spend money on new climbing gear. Now, you, as a successful person, have enough money that you always have a few extra ropes handy, even though the one you're using is in great shape as is. As a friend, at the worst you'd let him/her borrow one of your spares before starting the climb, or as a good friend for whom money's not an issue, you'd just let him have it, and not think a thing of it, because your friend getting hurt or killed because you didn't want to let them have a better rope is unthinkable. Completely unconscionable.

Now imagine instead of a friend, it's just a co-worker. Instead of a co-worker, perhaps just an old acquaintance. Then maybe a stranger who you know at least shares your political/philosophical views, you know, a fellow Repub/Dem/Lib, or fellow Christian/Muslim/Jew/Atheist/Agnostic. Someone agreeable. Now imagine they're not of your chosen views. Perhaps even (gasp) someone from another country. For which of those people do you wait until the other person's rope actually snaps before helping them? And then, for which do you not even offer a hand, and continue climbing upward as though it's their fault things turned out this way? And then, how much would you have to hate someone to sabotage their rope beforehand? To kick them as they try to keep up with you? To push them away when their safety rope snaps and force them to fall? All while yelling down after them "This wouldn't have happened if you weren't so drat lazy"?

Because the last part? That is how much all these bootstrapper types hate anyone who has the gall to be poor in the US. It doesn't matter that the system is biased against them, that the people being touted as successes do not work thousands, or hundreds, or even tens of times harder than most people in this country. It's always the fault of the ones being bullied for not doing something about it.

Ugh, I think I need to stop staring into the abyss. Breaktime for me I guess. (Don't worry, if my analogy sucks, at least I know better than to FW: FW: FW: the drat thing.)

For an offhanded analogy this is truly a thing of beauty. Sadly, it'll probably have little to no effect on people who espouse the terrible social views found ITT.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
This picture's been making the rounds today.

quote:

I greeted President Obama today in Arizona with the intention of talking to him about jobs and the economy.

However, after I greeted him, the President immediately turned the conversation to my book, Scorpions for Breakfast (https://www.scorpionsforbreakfast.com), criticized it and then walked away. He let me know that he didn't like the way I recounted our meeting in the Oval Office after I signed SB 1070 in 2010.

The bottom line is our border is not secure and I again invited him to visit the Arizona border.

I believe America wants a secure border before addressing "comprehensive immigration reform" and granting amnesty to illegal aliens. On this issue, we'll have to continue to disagree on what's best for America.

I'll keep fighting for Arizona and the rest of America who want a secure border.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Matlock posted:

Is she scolding the loving POTUS? Is this bitch serious? :psyduck:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The "secure border" slogan is so dumb. Mexico isnt invading. Borders between nations are always porous. People even got through the Berlin Wall.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

euphronius posted:

The "secure border" slogan is so dumb. Mexico isnt invading. Borders between nations are always porous. People even got through the Berlin Wall.

Kinda related, but are there illegal Canadians here as well, working and living with no papers and such? i literally have never thought about this before

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are unauthorized immigrants of every nationality in the USA. And there has been since even before the Mayflower landed on Plymouth rock.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 26, 2012

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Kinda related, but are there illegal Canadians here as well, working and living with no papers and such? i literally have never thought about this before

I read a report a few years ago that said Canadians were the largest group of undocumented immigrants in Michigan. I put it on Facebook and a guy from high school I haven't talked to in years blew his loving stack about how it was Mexicans and there was no way that report could be true. I asked him what was wrong with it and he went into some crazy rant about how his grandparents came here legally and it's only Mexicans that cause problems and I defriended him.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

There is unauthorized immigrants of every nationality in the USA. And there has been since the even before the Mayflower landed on Plymouth rock.

I bet not a single one of those "native" americans had a birth certificate.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Loving Life Partner posted:

There's a documentary about this called Knocked Up

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Riptor posted:

There's a documentary about this called Knocked Up
Anchor babies :argh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anyone seen per capita immigration numbers? I wonder if the USA gets more immigrants than other nations per capita.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

euphronius posted:

Has anyone seen per capita immigration numbers? I wonder if the USA gets more immigrants than other nations per capita.

Wiki says Canada has the most per capita, and there's a link to a source but I didn't feel like reading it to verify

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

euphronius posted:

I would imagine rich Middle Eastern countries like Kuwait or the UAE get more per capita as well as apparently Canada noted below.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Matlock posted:

The Obama admin should be a wet dream for people like her. There are fewer illegal immigrants crossing into the US from Mexico now and there are more illegal immigrants being deported than ever before.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Matlock posted:

The thing about that picture is that standing by itself it sends the exact opposite message that she wants. She's wagging her finger at the President and looks out of control, while he's standing calmly

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

zeroprime posted:

The Obama admin should be a wet dream for people like her. There are fewer illegal immigrants crossing into the US from Mexico now and there are more illegal immigrants being deported than ever before.

It would be a wet dream if illegal immigration was actually a real concern and not just a dog whistle.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
So I just got this one from my mom -- I would have expected it from my dad, but hey.

The Daily Reckoning(lol)

quote:

Imagine a bartender. He realizes that his customers have been handing out IOUs all over town — including to him. And he also knows his customers can’t pay. People are beginning to wonder…they’re beginning to discount the IOUs. A crisis is coming…

What does he do? He lends the customers more money and buys the IOUs from the other merchants! Naturally, the value of the IOUs goes back up. Because now, holders know they’ll get their money. Even the value of the IOUs owned by the bartender go up. Wonder of wonders, he has even made a profit on the deal!

Happy days are here again.

I'm trying to come up with a good response. Right now I'm thinking about saying how this would work out well if the bartender had the ability to print his own money and that most world commerce took place with his printed money, letting him deficit spend and reap the benefits of the Keynesian multiplier. Any thoughts? I want to be witty and I can't be that without the Internet :smith:

Just another reducto like "imagine if are country was run like a FAMILY!" that ignores, oh, any evidence to the contrary.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I do find it so amusing how quickly Libertarians start to hit certain talking points in arguments. It only took three comments for "I bet you think Al Gore invented the internet" to pop up.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Kim Jong III posted:

So I just got this one from my mom -- I would have expected it from my dad, but hey.

The Daily Reckoning(lol)

I'm trying to come up with a good response. Right now I'm thinking about saying how this would work out well if the bartender had the ability to print his own money and that most world commerce took place with his printed money, letting him deficit spend and reap the benefits of the Keynesian multiplier. Any thoughts? I want to be witty and I can't be that without the Internet :smith:

Just another reducto like "imagine if are country was run like a FAMILY!" that ignores, oh, any evidence to the contrary.

The beginning premise is wrong. People weren't cashing IOU's all over the place. Banks were encouraging people who couldn't pay it back to take IOU's and then sold those bad IOU's around, telling people they were good IOU's.

Beyond that I'm not sure what it's even trying to say. Is the Government the bartender that buys everyone's IOU's?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Sarion posted:

The beginning premise is wrong. People weren't cashing IOU's all over the place. Banks were encouraging people who couldn't pay it back to take IOU's and then sold those bad IOU's around, telling people they were good IOU's.

Beyond that I'm not sure what it's even trying to say. Is the Government the bartender that buys everyone's IOU's?

I think that's how I'm supposed to read it -- that the bartender is the Government trying to keep an untenable system working. But it's completely nonsense because it glosses over the difference between government and private debt, so...

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Taerkar posted:

I do find it so amusing how quickly Libertarians start to hit certain talking points in arguments. It only took three comments for "I bet you think Al Gore invented the internet" to pop up.

The "Al Gore thinks he invented the internet" attack is the most annoying thing, and I like to point people directly to the source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco. He says he "created" the internet, which actually is loving true. He sponsored and whipped the bills that paid for laying the fiber backbone of the internet that we all use today back in the late 80's when he was in congress. Eisenhower is frequently credited with creating the interstate highway system, and they're both using created the same way, "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes." In other words, without Al Gore working to create it, there would be no modern internet on which to bitch about Al Gore talking about how he created the internet :ironicat:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MC Nietzche posted:

The "Al Gore thinks he invented the internet" attack is the most annoying thing, and I like to point people directly to the source http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco. He says he "created" the internet, which actually is loving true. He sponsored and whipped the bills that paid for laying the fiber backbone of the internet that we all use today back in the late 80's when he was in congress. Eisenhower is frequently credited with creating the interstate highway system, and they're both using created the same way, "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes." In other words, without Al Gore working to create it, there would be no modern internet on which to bitch about Al Gore talking about how he created the internet :ironicat:

My preferred response is to point to this take on the whole "Al Gore invented the Internet" thing:

Robert Kahn and Vint Cerf posted:

Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective.

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with officials in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today, approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven operation.

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political support for its privatization and continued support for research in advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at large.

The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of the value of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term and consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to America citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

For those unfamiliar, Kahn and Cerf were the co-inventors of the TCP and IP protocols upon which the Internet has been built. If it were possible to point at someone and truthfully say, "this is who invented the Internet", you'd be pointing at them. So if they're going to say that Al Gore's allowed to take credit for the Internet, I think that means Al Gore's allowed to take credit.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
It's just another annoying and disingenuous way to attack Democrats and they've been harping on it for years. The most frequent response from people I get is "I know he said created, but he meant invented." Because Al Gore is an egomaniac, and people are able to read his mind apparently.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Whatever. Drag up any of the hundreds of dumb things GWB and Reagan said and it becomes fairly clear how loving childish that style of attack is.

Short and to the Point
Jun 3, 2000

If found please return to Durham.
At the shittest golf course in Tampa some clown put the following note over all of the urinals. I tore one down and when I returned a month later it was replaced by another copy. It's free of any reason and I thought I share it in this thread.

quote:

President Obama has recently appointed a Golf Czar and major rule changes in the game of golf will become effective 01 June 2010.

This is only a preview as the complete rulebook is being rewritten as we speak.

Here are a few of the changes…

Golfers with handicaps:

- Below 10 will have their green fees increased by 35%.

- Between 11 and 18 will see no increase in green fees.

- Above 18 will get a $25 check each time they play.

The dollar amount placed in bets will be as follows:

- For handicaps below 10, an additional $10.

- Between 11 and 18, no additional amount.

- Above 18, you will receive the total amount in the pot even if you do not play.

The term “gimme” will be changed to “entitlement” and will be used as follows:

- Handicaps below 10, no entitlements.

- Handicaps from 11 to 17, entitlements for putter length putts.

- Handicaps above 18, if your ball is on green, no need to putt, just pick it up.

These entitlements are intended to bring about fairness and, most importantly, equality in scoring.

In addition, a Player will be limited to a maximum of one birdie or six pars in any given 18-hole round. Any excess must be given to those fellow players who have not yet scored a birdie or par. Only after all players have received a birdie or par from the player actually making the birdie or par, can that player begin to count his pars and birdies again.

The current USGA handicap system will be used for the above purposes, but the term ‘net score’ will be available only for scoring those players with handicaps of 18 and above.

This is intended to ‘redistribute’ the success of winning by making sure that in every competition; the above 18 handicap players will post only ‘net score’ against every other player’s gross score.

These new Rules are intended to CHANGE the game of golf. 
Golf must be about Fairness. 
It should have nothing to do with Ability.

I suppose the Republican version would have a rule like "no drops allowed, if you go out of bounds or into a hazard you should not have gotten there in the first place."

The whole skill/smarts = money acquired has so many holes in it I don't see how anyone could fall for it.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Short and to the Point posted:

The whole skill/smarts = money acquired has so many holes in it I don't see how anyone could fall for it.

Many people can't really deal with the despair that comes from the realization that "skill/smarts = money" (aka THE AMERICAN DREAM) is a myth perpetuated by people who already have money so they a) look better and b) don't end up with lynch mobs outside their houses.

It would be nice if there were a simple, effective way to make the public face up to reality but I doubt such a thing exists. :smith:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Facebook Poster posted:

@ Taerkar Where did you study Economics or get experience Managing a Corprate or Government Budget? You seeen to know about as much as a TV News Reader.

Ah, the old "I have nothing left to counter your points with so I will attack you" approach. Comes after I pointed out the idiocy around the whole Debt issue.

Edit:

Same person posted:

In my view you need more real life experiences? I co-op my way through undergraduate school and was a Teaching Fellow in graduate school. No Loans and No Debt was uncured along the way. Good luck, but learn to evaluate, and think for yourself; not repeat what you read. Peace! "The Best Governed Is The Least Governed", Thomas Jefferson.

Mmm... I need a bingo card.

Edit2:

quote:

Question -- What is the Value Added by the Accounting and Legal Departments to the Tangible Value of the goods and services provided by an Organization or Government Agency?

Hmm... A serious question, or a 'I am using big words to try and scare you' attempt?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Kim Jong III posted:

What's great about this poo poo is that it's exactly what the Physiocrats and Adam Smith demonstrated to be the central flaw in the mercantile system, itself based on Xenophon's Oeconomicus which was about household management and got conflated by dumbasses into being about the successful running of a state.

Everything comes full circle.