Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Man the eyes on those Towhee are awesome. Devil bird! Excellent shots, BOE.

This Carolina Chickadee was like 4 feet away. I was wearing camo and just sitting up against a tree and it was super curious as to why the tree was moving. Hyper little sucker, though.

A jerk bird submission. Why did it pick there to land? Because it wanted to irritate, that's why.

Ring-billed Gulls

No grace.

Squirrel submission to cover all bases. An oldie, but the squirrels around here haven't been too receptive to the camera lately.

edit: and since I complained, here's a squirrel that was willing to pose today:

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

some bird by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
White-Cheeked Turaco

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
These surly jerks are ALWAYS hanging out at one spot on the lake foreshore near my folks' home. I wish I'd had a wider lens on hand to take in just how many of them can crowd up at once. Get enough of them together and all those lithe necks look like the tentacle monster at the start of Princess Mononoke.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Raptors are assholes.

Northern Harrier by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Bald Eagle Eating a Snow Goose by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Short-Eared Owl by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Don't Fly Aw-Dangit by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
I've always been a bit of a bird nerd, but for whatever reason I waited almost a year after I moved into a house with an honest-to-god yard to buy even a simple bird-feeder. I still have a lot of work to do to start attracting some more interesting birds, but I'm not going to complain too much since before today the only winged creatures available to shoot in my yard were the occasional flock of starlings that would stop by just to poo poo all over everything. I'm thrilled to death even have some sparrows and house finches instead of those goddamn rats of the sky.

Birds! by PresidentMerkinMuffley, on Flickr

Wet Bird by PresidentMerkinMuffley, on Flickr

Wetter Bird by PresidentMerkinMuffley, on Flickr

This is the first time I've ever camped myself out and tried to photograph the birds instead of just looking at them... I think my favorite way to relax just got a little more interesting

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, I've had no motivation to fill my bird feeder the past 2 weeks because the only birds still hanging out in my neighborhood are a large flock of doves. Pretty sure their fat asses are the reason one of the cables holding the bird feeder up broke.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Merkin Muffley posted:

This is the first time I've ever camped myself out and tried to photograph the birds instead of just looking at them... I think my favorite way to relax just got a little more interesting
Welcome to a hobby that is rewarding and addictive but also frustrating in equal measures.

Bird feeders and tables aren't that photogenic, so the next phase of any garden bird project is to start putting up prettier perches (moss covered twigs being the cliché) next to the feeders.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Finally processed some photos from 2 months ago!

Western Gull by The original David L, on Flickr

Great Egret by The original David L, on Flickr

Black Oyster Catcher by The original David L, on Flickr

Royal Terns by The original David L, on Flickr

Heerman's Gull by The original David L, on Flickr

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Great tit:

IMG_6722 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Here are a few shots from the last couple of months. I welcome any comments on composition or post processing.

A pair of white tailed kites

White tail kite in flight

Green winged teal

I didn't realize I had this image until I got home. I don't even know what kind of bird it is.

A shoveler banking toward me. Minimal post on this image. Shovelers just look like fake birds to me.

Red Tail Hawk flying away from me toward the ocean. Normally I don't keep shots of the bird flying away from me but I like the colors here.

Red Tailed Hawk taking off from a fence post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My guess on your mystery bird is Black Phoebe. Nice photos (I especially like the ducks).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My lack of a birdfeeder makes these photos complete bird photography :effort:

Wet Bird by hookshot88, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

That is one sad and depressing looking Pine Siskin :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That is one sad and depressing looking Pine Siskin :(

Haha yeah, basically taking pictures of birds when it's really pouring rain out is a great way to make them look like the saddest creatures ever.

This one is brave though, the other 30 of them flew off when I opened the door to take a photo.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Here's a few from a couple different zoo trips.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I took so many pictures of ducks today.

DSC_1501.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1477.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1450.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1365.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Gonna take a week or two for me to finish processing all of these.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

prukinski posted:

These surly jerks are ALWAYS hanging out at one spot on the lake foreshore near my folks' home. I wish I'd had a wider lens on hand to take in just how many of them can crowd up at once. Get enough of them together and all those lithe necks look like the tentacle monster at the start of Princess Mononoke.

Amazing photo!

My first time out birding on Monday. A friend of mine has some pretty Gucci gear and let me loose on it. Here are a few of the results. Be gentle...

Nam Sang Wai, Hong Kong by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Great Cormorant, Nam Sang Wai, Hong Kong by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Great Cormorant, Nam Sang Wai, Hong Kong by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Nam Sang Wai by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

Striated Heron, Nam Sang Wai by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

birds17 by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

All here http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Those shots are nice. That's a pretty good friend that let's you borrow $20k worth of camera gear to go take bird photos :drat:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Those are some lovely pans, especially the heron. Looking at your flickr with all the moving car photos that kind of makes sense. Would you say that's the best way to practice?

I went to a pretty rad duck pond today, mainly to find a Ring Necked Duck.

Ring Necked Duck by Icybacon, on Flickr

It's a stocked fishing pond so even skittish species are pretty tame, and divers/fishers join the dabbling Mallards. There's even a resident Osprey.

Tiny Grebe by Icybacon, on Flickr

Wood Duck Caught Flapping by Icybacon, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Dang JuanChai, those are awesome. Definitely a good friend to let you play with that kind of gear!

That Wood Duck flapping shot is really good too, Alpenglow. Love the colors on those things.

---
Just a heron sitting in a tree.

I went to the local dam to photograph some of the bald eagles that have been spotted around there building nests but didn't see any hanging around. By mid-Feb they'll be regularly hunting for food and I should be able to get some good shots.

This isn't my photo but it shows exactly how the one area is set up:

Which on the weekends is even more packed than that with rows and rows of white lenses. Birders are nuts.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Birders are nuts.
Word. Look at This bunch.. For a nondescript brown sparrow.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

I was going to post something along those lines... If those were REAL birders they would have their back to the bald eagle and be scanning the flock of cedar waxwings behind you for one vagrant Bohemian. Or breaking into a sewage treatment plant to look through 8 billion gulls for one rare one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like I'm having to do much processing on this shot to make it work (the original wound up being pretty overexposed on the right side of the bird). Can't really tell if it's too much or not at this point.

Hey look I'm a bird. by MrDespair, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
without seeing the original and knowing exactly what you did, I kind of feel like I'd rather have some blown out area and a reasonably white bird than turning down the exposure so much that it begins to look dirty. Somehow what must have been warm low-angle light isn't coming across as warm. Maybe it's a white-balance issue? I suck at post processing so I can't give you any more feedback than that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I think you're right about the white balance.

DSC_1275.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I was going to post something along those lines... If those were REAL birders they would have their back to the bald eagle and be scanning the flock of cedar waxwings behind you for one vagrant Bohemian. Or breaking into a sewage treatment plant to look through 8 billion gulls for one rare one.

This is very true. I love birds and birding and all but I truly was amazed when a couple hundred folks in my area drove 300 miles for a rare gull last month.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I shot this FOREVER ago, but I've been going through my big box o' negatives lately applying some of the stuff I've picked up on these forums. And look what done turned up. I'm about 80% sure that there was a dead pigeon at the center of this fuckpile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Hahaha dang! Looks like a black friday store ready to be rushed, with probably just as much pushing and shoving.

Good points by BetterLekNextTime and BeastOfExmoor too. That's what happens when you choose to live your life as a pokemon game...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ravens usually avoid me. This one is too young or too used to humans to be bothered about me, though.

Noisy Raven (2 of 3) by Execudork, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lots of tame birds on Hilton Head, and I had no camera except when it was harsh mid-day lighting.

Big Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another winter weekend, another Snowy Owl on a pole beside a highway.

SD 088 Snowy Owl 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Today I bought a Takumar 500mm f/4.5, getting closer without spooking the birds will be fun once it gets here (i.e. expect more whining from me about birds flying away, out of focus).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Belted Kingfisher by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Another winter weekend, another Snowy Owl on a pole beside a highway.

SD 088 Snowy Owl 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Today I bought a Takumar 500mm f/4.5, getting closer without spooking the birds will be fun once it gets here (i.e. expect more whining from me about birds flying away, out of focus).

That lens looks like a monster, good lord. Hope it gives you great results, though. :) Nice Snowy Owl, too! I've heard of one getting to Hawaii this year (and then was promptly shot by airport authorities) but I haven't seen any come the other way down through Tennessee. Argh! I'd love to see a wild snowy owl.

Something brought the hawks out to play today, I saw 4 of them total in a 10-15 mile stretch of road.

and I can always count on crows to pose, regardless of what they're doing:

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I took some pictures. There were birds in them.

Goose by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Juvie Bald Eagle by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Wisconsin in February? by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Argh! I'd love to see a wild snowy owl.
Something brought the hawks out to play today, I saw 4 of them total in a 10-15 mile stretch of road.
Tell you what: we'll trade places for a week. I can't get anywhere near a hawk, and the corvids all (except the rare foolish young raven) mock me from heavy cover. I saw 4 snowys on that drive, but I only bothered to stop for the first one.

\/\/\/ When I lived in Vancouver I saw hordes of crows on a daily basis, they slept on islands in the Fraser river I think. I see a few magpies pretty much every day on my walk to work, they get out of the way of my point-and-shoot but tomorrow I'll carry my 100-300, see if I can't get a lucky shot.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 9, 2012

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Tell you what: we'll trade places for a week. I can't get anywhere near a hawk, and the corvids all (except the rare foolish young raven) mock me from heavy cover. I saw 4 snowys on that drive, but I only bothered to stop for the first one.

Not that I haven't seen Snowy's this year (I'm up to 29 total :smug:), but my mind is boggled that you have issues photographing Corvid's. I literally see 1,000 a day on some days since I commute by a roost where about 10,000 of them spend the night every night. I don't recall any problems photographing them, although I don't try very often since they're about as interesting as a starling to me at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9X-70VgV0

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I saw a dove yesterday.

It's the only bird I've seen this week :smith:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Lots of tame birds on Hilton Head, and I had no camera except when it was harsh mid-day lighting.

Big Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

Thought it looked familiar. :D Where on HH were you? Used to live there, do miss the weather sometimes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hey bird shooters, I need a bit of advice. Early March I'm flying to Peru to spend a week in the jungle, but my current lenses are pretty much inadequate (d7000 with a Tamron 17-50mm and a Nikkor 70-210mm) for the task.

Most of my shooting will be from 75-100 meters away. The best option I've found so far seems to be the Nikon 300mm f/4 plus a TC-14E II, but I'm wondering how hand-holdable this would turn out without IS since I'll also be hiking trails a lot.

Are there any other lenses I might consider? that would not completely ruin me