Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

A Rabid Frog posted:

I personally saw Arthur Slugworth, but Judge Doom is a good match as well.

I was wondering if he'd ever thought about opening up the Ark of the Covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Corridor posted:

Seriously, how many loving times do people have to post "Just tell the goddamn story"?

Ask me about growing up with a girl who thinks she's married to anime guys - just post your loving stories, you don't need to ask.

ElementaryScotty
Jan 8, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think its a massive stetson he has on the front of some of the books. Which confuses the heck out of me cause the character is constantly saying he would never wear a hat.
That's apparently a running joke between the cover artist and Jim Butcher. It was a miscommunication at first that led to Butcher constantly reiterating how much Harry dislikes wearing hats in the books and the artist responding by drawing even more elaborate ones.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

nanomachines posted:

Glue Guy

Does he go by Savage Bandito? God I hope it's the same guy because if there are TWO creepy dudes who have a barefoot/glue thing going on I don't know what I'll do.

I've had the displeasure of meeting him a few times while working in the Artist Alley at a few cons. He's never hit on me 'cause I don't cosplay, but he absolutely reeks of desperation. Everyone knows what he's up to now. In fact I haven't seen him around in a few years and I think that's why... everyone knows what he's doing with those "private interview" videos.

I have a few stories for this thread, but I haven't the time to write them up now. Hopefully tonight!

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Triumphant posted:

They were born after 1950, so they're dead to him.

Dzing!

I happily await the twist of fate that has Rottweiler hire Deboss for odd jobs.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Hedera Helix and I have some history/gripes with Rotty, provided this is the same Rotty. It's a long-ish story (though shorter than some other stories here) but I'll tell it if people want me to. I'll bloody tell it now!

We knew he was an ignorant idiot, but we...Didn't know he was a piece of work like this. :gonk:

It's a small internet full of small minds!

Speaking of Hedera, what is UP good sir?

---+STORYTIME+---

Once upon a time InfiniteJesters lived in Oregon. HederaHelix also lived in Oregon. Both of them were tropers at a time when this was merely a point of jest at worst and not a badge of utmost shame.

InfiniteJesters and HederaHelix knew of other tropers in the area, and these tropers were pretty cool (with an exception I will soon list).

Then one day Rotty wanted in.

This was not a good thing was Rotty posted on TV Tropes foras and posted things that InfiniteJesters found ignorant and HederaHelix apparently found personally offensive.

This was a problem. This is because while the non-Rotty Oregon tropers were cool, they were apparently unfamiliar with what Rotty had said and thus felt no need to accommodate InfiniteJesters and HederaHelix.

HederaHelix threw a (admittedly rather justified) hissy fit, InfiniteJesters got angry with Rotty for being a total knob and HederaHelix for raging hard and complicating matters.

I haven't met with any of them in person since.

I have forgiven HederaHelix, though, at least, and speak with him on the net, as I do with the other non-Rotty Oregon tropers.

I do not speak with Rotty unless spoken to, and he never speaks to me. With recent information, I am drat happy to keep it that way.

I'd have a more elaborate story but the details have been lost to time.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 26, 2012

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

His new thing is quoting outdated philosophy to defend his horrible views on anything that came into the world after 1949. His perfect wife would never leave the kitchen unless it was to get naked and have (missionary position, lights off) sex for-procreation-only-oh-my-why-are-there-whips-and-chains-and-blood. He believes men who wear t-shirts when they go to buy milk (instead of a 3-piece and trenchcoat) are subhuman unless they're nonwhite, when they're not even that.

Also, his current girlfriend/sex slave has a youtube channel in which she tells women their proper place.

How the hell do these broken people find each other? Her personal gender beliefs are screwed but I am still surprised that she could take any pleasure in a relationship with that weird ferret.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

isoprenaline posted:

How the hell do these broken people find each other? Her personal gender beliefs are screwed but I am still surprised that she could take any pleasure in a relationship with that weird ferret.
It's not uncommon for women with severe self-esteem problems to get involved with abusive/crazy men. There are several reasons for this but one of them is that they have very little, if any, sense of self-worth and feel that they need someone to "put them in their place". It's not about her taking pleasure in the relationship -- she's just glad he's willing to put up with her. In her head, she's a worthless piece of poo poo and he's a saint for even giving her the time of day, and she would be crazy to disagree with him.

Not saying that she doesn't have other issues, she might, but low self-esteem most certainly has something to do with it.

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

SamLikesCake posted:

Does he go by Savage Bandito? God I hope it's the same guy because if there are TWO creepy dudes who have a barefoot/glue thing going on I don't know what I'll do.

I've had the displeasure of meeting him a few times while working in the Artist Alley at a few cons. He's never hit on me 'cause I don't cosplay, but he absolutely reeks of desperation. Everyone knows what he's up to now. In fact I haven't seen him around in a few years and I think that's why... everyone knows what he's doing with those "private interview" videos.

I have a few stories for this thread, but I haven't the time to write them up now. Hopefully tonight!

Yup, that's him! I linked to his youtube show on my last post. Good ol' Savage Bandito, he's a legend of creepy. I heard that he's a guest of honour at some smaller convention, I hope that doesn't use that as bait for some poor young cosplayers.

"Hey baby, I'm the guest of honour..."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

the kawaiiest posted:

It's not uncommon for women with severe self-esteem problems to get involved with abusive/crazy men. There are several reasons for this but one of them is that they have very little, if any, sense of self-worth and feel that they need someone to "put them in their place".

That's not as common as the next part.

quote:

It's not about her taking pleasure in the relationship -- she's just glad he's willing to put up with her. In her head, she's a worthless piece of poo poo and he's a saint for even giving her the time of day, and she would be crazy to disagree with him.

Not saying that she doesn't have other issues, she might, but low self-esteem most certainly has something to do with it.

That's it in the proverbial nutshell. She thinks she's worthless, he'll tolerate her presence, and that makes him a god among men.

Funny thing is, if you talk to someone like her she'll sound condescending and superior to everyone around you. She might bring up how edumacated she is. She'll try to make you feel lousy, to build herself up. There's a lot of women like this, and if they are very lucky they find someone who genuinely cares for them and wants to help. If not, well, I'll bet Deboss is single.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Since someone asked about it in the TV Tropes thread (which is harrowing stuff, incidentally), I figure I'll clarify about Rotty's transformation fetish stuff here. Sadly, it wasn't nearly as interesting as the thread speculations; his fantasies, at least the ones he told me, revolved around slight transformations to facial features and whatnot. He claimed this was because he was totally :smith: about his own appearance, so tragically enough, it means he was actually less deluded than he is now, where he apparently thinks looking like Archie swallowed a handful of 'ludes and decided to cosplay as Inspector Gadget makes him dapper.

The material in the TV Tropes thread about him is all pretty :gonk:, but those pictures of him with women really make my skin crawl. As much as I hate to say it, I sort of hope that Masochistic Masculist is/was dating him because of self-hatred and that she'll grow out of it in time. (On the other hand, if you're a self-loathing female MRA, Rotty is arguably your perfect man -- he says to the world that even this most pitiful spectacle of humanity is innately superior to you and you're willing to subjugate yourself to him. There's no better way to build up self-loathing cred.)

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

nanomachines posted:

Yup, that's him! I linked to his youtube show on my last post. Good ol' Savage Bandito, he's a legend of creepy. I heard that he's a guest of honour at some smaller convention, I hope that doesn't use that as bait for some poor young cosplayers.

"Hey baby, I'm the guest of honour..."

I wasn't able to watch the link you posted 'cause I'm at work and I'm leery of clicking anything that could be seen as "fetishy", sorry! I assumed it was him, though. And please please please don't tell me this small convention is in New Brunswick because I swear I will cry. He's so creepy. I don't want him lurking at my home con. It's got enough weirdos already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Khazar-khum posted:

if they are very lucky they find someone who genuinely cares for them and wants to help
You forgot "and won't drive them away, either unintentionally, with their behavior, or intentionally, for reasons that make sense to a self-loathing and fearful mind".

No, not speaking from experience at all, why do you ask?

Anyways, I guess now's the time to tell the story of Researcher Sam.

Trying to form this all into a coherent tale is going to be difficult, partially because it's something I really didn't want to remember, and I have a terrible memory as it is. Also, it's a horrible clusterfuck even in my own mind.

Well, about a year ago, I was trying to get together a Dark Heresy group on 4chan, because someone on supTG had slighted me, or insulted my dog, or some other stupid reason. What I did not realize at the time was that by avoiding the reasonably-organized groups, the only people I was going to get were other people who either avoided them, or far more likely, were no longer welcome.

Sam was one of the latter.

I'm going to skip over a lot of bullshit, but basically, I may or may not have ended up in an internet pseudo-relationship with this guy. I make no excuses for my mistakes, except to say that my reasons made sense at the time. Having first introduced himself to me as female, and eventually revealed himself to be male (not in and of itself a big issue; my current boyfriend is an FtM), he began to talk about this group he was in a game with, who were always picking on him.

Supposedly, they all hated him and all his awesome characters. I realized pretty early on that he was a That Guy, so I maybe tried to push him into leaving the game 'if it's that bad', but no, he insisted on staying. And on complaining about it. Constantly.

One day, he mentions off-handedly that he hasn't showered in... several months, I think. Because it was a fetish for him. (Hold on, it gets worse.) He likeed the idea of having a physical layer of grease on him, and for his sexual partner to rub it in.

The fact that I did not bail right there... :psyduck:

Anyways, I tried to hold on. Maybe convince him that perhaps people would be more accepting if he showered, maybe got a bit of exercise? (He mentioned he hadn't been outside in months.) Sam. Went. Ballistic. Oh, I hated him too, and I just wanted to change him like everyone else, and he knew I was just going to back stab him and on and on.

I didn't talk to him for a couple of days after that. When I DID talk to him again, the conversation from his end was like something from someone who didn't do anything wrong, but apologizes anyways because he values the relationship more than being right. Which, I guess, is admirable, in a horribly deluded sort of way? :confused:

I took what I could get, and tried to understand why he thought everyone hated him. And, after some prodding, this is what I got out of him.

He thinks he's worthless, because, by his age, he should have already gotten his Digimon partner, or his robot girlfriend, or something like that, "and don't tell me that only happens in anime, everyone says that".

That was enough.

Later on, I found out he tried to stab his parents to death with a knife, or something? I don't even want to know any more.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Colon V posted:

Later on, I found out he tried to stab his parents to death with a knife, or something? I don't even want to know any more.
Talk about burying the lede!

Still... good Lord. Seriously, a fetish for his own unwashed filth? I know some people can be attracted to "natural" scents, but, like, the skin grease? euuuurgh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Antivehicular posted:

The material in the TV Tropes thread about him is all pretty :gonk:, but those pictures of him with women really make my skin crawl. As much as I hate to say it, I sort of hope that Masochistic Masculist is/was dating him because of self-hatred and that she'll grow out of it in time. (On the other hand, if you're a self-loathing female MRA, Rotty is arguably your perfect man -- he says to the world that even this most pitiful spectacle of humanity is innately superior to you and you're willing to subjugate yourself to him. There's no better way to build up self-loathing cred.)

Our current theory is that Masochistic Masculist's hate for women is so powerful she punishes herself by dating him.

Cold_Ethyl
Aug 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS

I am SO smart

Rahonavis posted:

This bit jumped out at me because of a strange story from High School.

I majored in art in both High School and college. After reading this thread, man oh man am I lucky to have had encounters with only the most innocuous of strange people. I don't have any stories that come close to the caliber of this thread.

But in high school there was this one girl who had very recently joined our grade and she was... odd. Noticeably odd. I only had to interact with her a few times per day so I could more or less ignore her muttering lines from Shakespeare to herself and picking stucco off the desks and stuff.

Well, one day when OddGirl was out sick, a few of us swapped stories about her during lunch (as teenage girls are want to do because teenage girls as a vast sweeping generalization are terrible, terrible people). One of my friends was amazed that I had no recollection of an incident that she swore up and down had happened right behind me during a study break. So I don't know about the veracity of this incident, but the thing about OddGirl is that it doesn't seem at all unlikely either.

Apparently, I was too engrossed in -you know- actually studying while OddGirl was at a nearby table. She decided to take that free time during the school day to announce that she was about to start cutting herself. And as the other people at the table sat there too stunned to think of what to do, she reached into her backpack and pulled out her cutting instrument of choice: a Spork.

She apparently tried to kind of saw away at her wrist with it without actually harming herself at all. She kept at it until a larger girl gently restrained her and the other people at the table told her to please stop. The situation was just more bizarre and a little sad than truly concerning, and I was somehow completely oblivious. :wtc:

There isn't a :stonk: big enough.

Been reading this thread religiously, Zander gave me chills to read about, and Denise sounds like a caricature but this post brought back some of the weirdness in high school I’d buried pretty deeply in my brain.

Between 14- 17 I became friends with a girl in my science class and form group called Cazz. I was always very shy, quite fat and very nervous so generally kept to myself and didn't really have any friends. When I first met Cazz she'd been ostracised by her group of friends and a rumour was being spread around that Cazz had given a boy a blowjob with an orange condom, a rumour she'd allegedly started about herself. Going to an all girl’s school I didn't put much stock in this, rumours about myself had been spread around pretty viciously and none of them were true and why should I turn down a friend?

As it turned out, this friendship's tone was set from the beginning.

Cazz was a hefty girl, with long brown hair filled with chunks of dandruff. Her face was permanently a sea of acne and facial hair; there were constantly pimples with bursting white heads on her face. The poor girl had cystic ovaries, this meant she had an excess of hair on her arms and back, she had thick black hair on her legs, forearms and all over her body. I felt genuinely bad for her for this and I’m not posting this to really make fun of her, just to give you an idea of the insecurity that might have caused at least part of her behaviour. Her nickname was meatloaf because of a startling resemblance.

Cazz's imaginary friends

the whole Cazz mess is a giant ball of crazy so I’ll start with the first apparent cracks.

Like people posted about in this thread Cazz had a group of imaginary friends, hers weren't characters from fandom and they were pretty harmless to start with. At first she used to talk about a girl called Lisa a lot and 2 guys, Liam and Damien. Originally Damien was her boyfriend, she'd talk about all the cool skateboarding she did with him and all the metal concerts she'd been to with him! (At 14 this was unlikely, especially since people like Slipknot who she'd claimed to have seen had age restriction rules) I sort of shrugged this off, I had a friend! Then suddenly, Damien had been in a car crash and would never be able to walk again and we can't hang out after school because she'd have to visit in hospital etc, next week Damien was ok and when I’d ask about his legs she'd blink stupidly and ask what I was talking about.

After about a year of this suddenly Damien isn't mentioned anymore, neither are his five cars, his constant birthday parties or his ability to skate like Tony Hawk.

A new persona is introduced, and this is Lisa, who is Cazz's girlfriend. On reflection now I think Lisa was Cazz's way of toeing the closet, seeing how I and our other group of friends reacted. Cazz was now bi, none of us cared really, just accepted it and said it was nice she'd gotten a girlfriend. A week later it was revealed Lisa had cheated on her, was 25 and a bitch. Lisa was brought up from then on whenever Cazz wasn't getting enough attention. We'd be talking about my now best friend's lovely home life (her dad had ran out on them leaving them with no money ) Cazz would suddenly need to tell us how Lisa had popped up on msn, sent a webcam link and when Cazz had opened it was in the middle of a webcam orgy! One of us got a good result in class; Cazz would suddenly have a text from Lisa telling her she wanted her back. There was even a time Cazz tapped me on the shoulder and matter of factly said:

:mad:'Hey sorry I was so distant before'
:confused:'yooou were?'
:mad:'it was because Lisa was standing outside the gate kissing another girl to get back at me'

This continued for a few months or so, Liam was used intermittently whenever Cazz needed to look cool/ go to a concert/ get drunk/ wanted to tell people how sexy someone had said she was. This happened until...

Cazz confesses she has a crush on every single person in our group

At this point, Cazz and I had latched on to a few other awkward stragglers from our year. We were the Goth table; we were mostly quiet and kept to ourselves. At this point there were very few girls who admitted to liking video games, comics and general nerdom so we'd all found each other and became quite close. This seemed to be a que for Cazz to start confessing her feelings for everyone to me via msn.

Originally it was just my now best friend, Becca. Becca was a quiet girl, had been very badly bullied and was very jumpy. Cazz took it upon herself to corner Becca one day by herself in the science lab and tell Becca she fancied her and then blocked her exit until Becca agreed to it. Becca is 5'0 and weighs 8 stone, Cazz on the other hand it 5'7 and 15 stone. Becca ended up crumpling and agreeing to be her girlfriend. This lasted about a week before Becca suddenly stopped coming to school and finally with the help of another friend broke up with Cazz. Cazz was distrought and came in the next day with tiny scratches all over her arms where she'd cut herself because she was heart broken. She got over this fairly quickly of course and suddenly was in love with three other girls in our group. I advised her to keep it to herself this time...Before finally I got a love note in my email from her.

I let her down as easily as possible. She took it quite well it seemed, she said she understood and then logged off. I felt bad so phoned her up to make sure she was ok; she said she wanted to die. The day after in school was like nothing ever happened she didn't mention her apparent infatuation with me for a little while afterwards but creepy things started happening. To name a few:

We went to the planetarium, Cazz and I went to the toilet, she tried to push me in a stall and tried to kiss me. I ducked under and ran away. Embarrassed. None of my friends knew about this.

In art a stanley blade got knocked into my lap and someone sat on my knee, it went into my leg and I started bleeding furiously. I panicked and ran to the toilet, Cazz again followed me. I thought she was helping to staunch the bleeding...No she licked my leg I yanked it away, and tied the makeshift bandage myself. She didn't mention it, she did however mention later in front of everyone how she'd always wanted to be a vampire, and the idea of drinking from the artery in a girl’s thigh was a massive turn on.

I blocked her on msn because she kept trying to cyber with me constantly, I asked her to stop, and she would start crying about how no-one liked her. I lied and said my internet was down when she asked why I was never online anymore.

I know I should have stopped being friends at this point but I was only 15/16 and she was actually the longest friend I’d ever had. I instead confided with another friend what had been happening. As it transpired she'd been doing similar things to the other girls (including fondle a girls boobs who she thought was a sleep at a sleep over). We all decided to confront her.

Cazz breaks out the extra crazy

all of us sat Cazz down and explained how uncomfortable we felt with how she was acting. Predictably Cazz stormed off and didn't return for the rest of lunch, we all felt fairly bad but a little bit relieved. Thinking we could are normal friends again with her once she'd cool down we went back to normal. That math class, Cazz sat next to me sawing herself with a ruler (plastic none shatter) as hard as she could, the result being a large red line on her wrists. She then wrote a very large lettered angst poem about how the harlot with no heart. I pandered to her at the end of class, stupidly and told her she was an awesome friend and I didn't want her to hurt herself. She seemed to snap out of it slightly but was still moody for the rest of the day. That night I received a lengthy email full of her "secrets":

She was raped as a child and forced to gently caress her female cousin, who she'd had a crush on since. (she also wrote erotic fiction about this cousin, which she generously shared one sleepover..)
She was later gang-raped by some men who frequent her dad's pub. They turn up every night and threaten her with more rapes!
She is scared of white vans because she was raped in a white van.
She won't go to the chip shop next door because the Indians who owned it raped her.
As a child her mum put her in a mental institution which she dreams about nightly.
She has vivid memories about being abducted and probed by aliens.
She has psychic powers.
She wants to gently caress her then 7 year old brother :stonk:

it was after this outburst of crazy that I started getting suicide threats in text format, one of these being that she'd tried to cut her wrists with a spoon. I stayed over at her house a couple of times, I felt bad for her and felt that I should stick with her to try and help her. She'd frequently pretend to be asleep and have nightmares about the white van! She'd put on a child's voice and scream in her sleep and cry and then snap awake and ask what the matter is. I stopped staying over. A girl in our class was diagnosed with diabetes, oh so has Cazz! She even went as far as to 'faint' on a stair case because of low blood sugar! I had to give her a segment of the orange I was just about to eat coincidentally so she could finish climbing the stairs! (That lunchtime she'd eaten two sugar dummies within the hour, you know the large rock candy type) Eventually, after feeling thoroughly disgusted with her and the situation I spoke to my head of year like I should have done to start with. She was taken to a councillor and she stopped talking to me.

A year later I find out she'd been telling people I bullied her, I confronted her about it and she admitted everything was made up, including the rapes, the fake boyfriend and grilfriends, how she'd lost her virginity in a shop she'd broken into with Damien when she was 13... I spoke to one of her more recent girlfriends (who happens to be on my art degree) Cazz still talks about her numerous rapes and now have stories of her and Lisa with a double dildo! So no lessons learned :(

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Cold_Ethyl posted:

A year later I find out she'd been telling people I bullied her, I confronted her about it and she admitted everything was made up, including the rapes, the fake boyfriend and grilfriends, how she'd lost her virginity in a shop she'd broken into with Damien when she was 13... I spoke to one of her more recent girlfriends (who happens to be on my art degree) Cazz still talks about her numerous rapes and now have stories of her and Lisa with a double dildo! So no lessons learned :(
I had a classmate in 6th grade who told everyone that she had just found out she was 2 months pregnant and that the father was one of her cousins who raped her or something like that but it was all good because she enjoyed the rape (?) and he was really really hot and mature and perfect. A few months later someone asked her how come she didn't look pregnant and she said she had already given birth to premature twins.

Her (former) best friend later said that the girl had no cousins. She's apparently one of these crazy "astral baby" women now and has one of those creepy reborn dolls.

Also, here's a reminder that anime ruins everything.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I caught up with a former member of "the nerd herd" from school and got filled in on what they have done over the past 10 years.
I think myself and M are the lucky ones in escaping the pit of despair as we both have grown out of anything really obsessively geeky and have come to realize that it's counter productive to immerse yourself in a subculture that relies on escapism.

Brothers Rob and Andy are still attempting to get a Uni degree for the third or forth time in a row having no drive or motivation and basically requiring someone to tell them what to do next. They seem to be addicted to Minecraft, World of Tanks and other MMOS.

Patrick has his first job in 28 years - to transcribe audio online in the comfort of home. Still supported by parents who feed his anime, DnD and ponies.
I have this horrid feeling that he'll end up being supported by his younger sister come his parent's death.

Matt went from Psyche degree to ISP desk op to desk job at travel center and is engaged to a girl who's 23 - they started dating when she was in high school. It's unsettling.

Dave went from 133+ hacker to stoner/DJ and doesn't know what to do with his Mechatronic Engineering degree.

I guess as the once alien idea of using a computer became commonplace most old school geeks feel like they weren't bucking the trend anymore and either grew out of their past times or attempted to latch onto other communities.

I can only assume the rise of the truly insane come from getting hooked to the idea of trying to find some sort of self worth through the net and getting their highs from hugbox communities that obsess over obscure pop culture.

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl

the kawaiiest posted:

I had a classmate in 6th grade who told everyone that she had just found out she was 2 months pregnant and that the father was one of her cousins who raped her or something like that but it was all good because she enjoyed the rape (?) and he was really really hot and mature and perfect. A few months later someone asked her how come she didn't look pregnant and she said she had already given birth to premature twins.

Someone point this girl in the direction of TV Tropes, she'd take to it like a fish to water.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Bible posted:

It's black with gold buttons and a purple collar (that can be removed, if that is recommended.) I'm not sure what the material is, its a bit course and fuzzy. It does have a belt, but this being Korea, my wife always wants me to tie it behind me like a ribbon (Korean men's fashion is very... feminine), which I usually undo the moment I'm out of the house.

That color combo sounds...erm...liturgical.

However, a trenchcoat by itself is fine and can look really good. I say yes to trenchcoats and no to fedoras unless your name is Don GODDAMN Draper.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Our current theory is that Masochistic Masculist's hate for women is so powerful she punishes herself by dating him.

I used to be one of those women. God drat I hope that someday I could purge the internet of my idiocy through sheer hatred but it hasn't worked by now so i doubt it ever will.

I think she's using it as a way to be superior to other women, honestly. It's an attention whore of the worst kind - she's willing to sell everyone else out so she can get a few minutes of fame on youtube with her oh so darling husband/boyfriend/whatever the gently caress. She's not a whore like those other loose Ameri-skanks - she's loyal and loving and actually cares for her man! Women who don't love their men like she does are obviously damaged goods who just want to stop everyone from having an amazing, happy marriage. She knows *true love* and how things should be with her *soul mate.* What, you don't think this isn't just another Disney princess moment? That's exactly what it is.

Honestly, I was loving 15 and on MRA sites and they treated me like some sort of 4chan camgirl with the -chan name. It was wholly disgusting that I was doing it for the attention and they were doing it to try to get with a 15 year old girl.

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Re: trench coats, my heart sinks every time someone who wears it asks for approval. If you think you look ridiculous, whilst caring about possibly looking ridiculous, don't wear it. How complicated can it be? Just because some cosplaying douchebag thinks he turns into God's gift to women every time he puts one on does not mean that trench coats in general look bad, funny, or desperate.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

^^^ Right, but still, the sentiment seems to be very much against them, and I'm not exactly plugged into the latest fashion trends. Best to ask, I figure. ^^^

bringmyfishback posted:

That color combo sounds...erm...liturgical.

However, a trenchcoat by itself is fine and can look really good. I say yes to trenchcoats and no to fedoras unless your name is Don GODDAMN Draper.

It is somewhat over the top, but fortunately, most men's clothing here is.

I can't wear hats at all. My head is too big and my face is too small, I just look ridiculous, even in something as casual as a baseball cap.

Anyway, thanks for the fashion advice, I also found a lot of good info on it in W&W, so I'll stop derailing the thread now.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I sometimes wear one over a hoodie when it is freezing and raining. Picture Ben or Matt from Dogma.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A bit belatedly, but I'll chime in and say that the "self-loathing leads to bad Internet hookups" theory is very valid, and I have my own experience with it. When I was 16, between adolescent awkwardness, undiagnosed depression, and Calliope, I was pretty convinced that I was destined to die alone; when a 27-year-old Internet buddy confessed he had a crush on me, I thought about it for a while and then jumped on it, because a boy finally liked me! For real!

You no doubt know how this story ends, but it took seven years to end, which spanned most of high school and all of college; even once it ended, he was passive-aggressive at me for years, to the point that he posted a bitter secret on Fandomsecrets about me. On one hand, dating him throughout college and thus having a mediocre-to-awful long-distance relationship hanging over my head during four prime gettin'-laid years is maybe my greatest regret in life. On the other... well, this is the guy I was dating when Rotty oozed on up to me, so my sad rear end probably dodged a bullet there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cold_Ethyl posted:

In art a stanley blade got knocked into my lap and someone sat on my knee, it went into my leg and I started bleeding furiously.

...do people often sit on other people's laps immediately after sharp things fall in said laps in your school?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jaded Mandarin posted:

Re: trench coats, my heart sinks every time someone who wears it asks for approval. If you think you look ridiculous, whilst caring about possibly looking ridiculous, don't wear it. How complicated can it be? Just because some cosplaying douchebag thinks he turns into God's gift to women every time he puts one on does not mean that trench coats in general look bad, funny, or desperate.
The key problem is that you're looking at a photo of a man who's never thought he looked ridiculous while a bunch of people talk about how ridiculous he looks and it plants that small germ in your head that maybe you should just check whether you look ridiculous or not even though you don't think you do.
It's that self-examination that saves people from being another Xander or Rottweiler. (I am about a hundred pages behind in my TVtropes thread reading and I am so looking forward to the cross-pollination from this thread).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

To add to the "where do these people come from?" discussion: as someone who grew up without the internet, I blame the internet. Does anyone else pushing 40 in this thread agree? I hung with the geeky D&D, LARP, SCA, comic book-reading, sci-fi watching, con-going crowd, and I never knew anyone as remotely crazy as some of the piss-drinking furry otaku soul-bonding freaks in this thread.

Going from my own experiences from what I saw back in the 70s when my Mom was president of the Christopher Lee International Club, there was a goodly amount of modern level crazy going on in fandom back then. As the processing line of fanmail went first through my Mom to sort through things so his secretary would end up with the serious things like requests for interviews or autographs and as I was all of about 4-5 years old and eager to be helpful..yeah... That ended up with my Mom having to have quite a few talks with me much earlier than what she should have had.

Looking back, I can understand people sending in the personal nude pictures, but the vial of real blood and the offers to sacrifice animals to Satan for Dracula's love and all, that's still pretty batshit crazy. The guy who had the shrines in his basement to Christopher Lee and Hitler was particularly memorable since he lived a burb or two over from ours. Not sure if his mother did succeed in eventually getting him committed since his diagnosed mental issues were getting harder for her to deal with as time went on and I do remember her talking with my Mom about worrying what would happen to him once she passed on.

I know from when we have this question come up in these sort of threads, we've figured that the distance/time factor that was more present before the internet did have some mitigating effect since the same hugbox mentality we see now couldn't quite be as cultivated when all one has is fanzines and standard mail. I'd also like to think that there was a lesser tolerance for this sort of thing for lack of better words. For an example, parents seeing no problem just buying loads of manga for their budding otaku without any comment whereas before it would've been asked if they were too old for such things and likely be told to go out and get a job for spending money to buy them if the kid got mouthy about it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

the kawaiiest posted:

Also, here's a reminder that anime ruins everything.

The slendreman gets another victim! :ohdear:

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ghostlight posted:

The key problem is that you're looking at a photo of a man who's never thought he looked ridiculous while a bunch of people talk about how ridiculous he looks and it plants that small germ in your head that maybe you should just check whether you look ridiculous or not even though you don't think you do.

Rottweiler looks ridiculous not because of the trenchcoat, but because he's swinging around a bloody katana.

Those types of people do not know they look ridiculous for much the same reasons they don't realize that it isn't any longer acceptable to tell people that prophylactics are an abomination unto the Lord, and that black Africans should be grateful that white man brought civilization to them - because they are shitheads who have spent too much time playing RPGs, watching anime that caters either to a demographic of children or of pedophiles, and ejaculating into their tube socks in the interim to know what behaving normally entails.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jaded Mandarin posted:

Rottweiler looks ridiculous not because of the trenchcoat, but because he's swinging around a bloody katana.
I thought that was him dressing up as a character from Highlander?

However his tastes in dead men's clothes comes from the fact he thinks everything was just all fine and dandy back in the good ol' days and assumes that walking around in that getup means people will automatically respect you as you have class and debonair.
Of course the revelation that Rotty wants to devour the dead goes so well with that outfit.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jaded Mandarin posted:

Well, yeah, but no, that trenchcoat does look really stupid on him. The hat and katana are just contributing to it.

Seriously, what is it with these people and katanas?

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Well, of course, he's built like a lamp post. There is not a thing that he can wear and not look stupid in it.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Jaded Mandarin posted:

Well, of course, he's built like a lamp post. There is not a thing that he can wear and not look stupid in it.

This. Trenchcoats need some frame on you and they have to fit you PERFECTLY. Like, if you want to have a trench coat that looks good on you and you have some problems, like your arms are bit short or overly long compared to your torso etc etc, just get a tailor make you one. /offtopic

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Nebelwerfer posted:

This. Trenchcoats need some frame on you and they have to fit you PERFECTLY. Like, if you want to have a trench coat that looks good on you and you have some problems, like your arms are bit short or overly long compared to your torso etc etc, just get a tailor make you one. /offtopic

Yeah, I have a raincoat with short sleeves. I don't wear it unless it's terrible out. But I've also got an overcoat, and a couple of fedoras. I wear that poo poo when it's raining/snowing pretty bad. US culture today isn't a huge fan of coats and hats, but if it's bad enough, I'll throw them on. Turns out people don't think you're a sperglord when it's poo poo out and you wear clothing to counter that. Shocking, for [e.g.] that guy with the jorts & trenchcoat.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

InfiniteJesters posted:

---+STORYTIME+---

This is the most confusing story told in this thread so far. What the hell is going on?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
The Story Of Alice: A Person With More Baggage Than An Airport

I've seen a lot of horrifying stories posted about nutjobs so I figured I'd join in with my own on a person me and other friends knew as Alice. I'm not the best storyteller or writer so bear with me here. All names have either been purposely left out or changed to protect the various people involved except Alice as this was never the true name of said person. I will post the stories in chapters so as to not be too Wall-O-Text about it all.

The Beginning

It all started on IRC (Infact this is where 99% of my time spent around Alice was) on a random day years ago. I have a bit of lovely memory though honestly I suspect I might have blocked a good portion of things out as well due to my own trauma related to this person. Anywho one day some random folks were talking about emulators and roms then they invited some girl they met in an emulation chatroom to hang out in our room. I was quickly introduced to Alice.

If only I knew at this time what would come I would have immediately kickbanned her and been done with it. As it turns out I am a sap and I'm friendly by nature to anyone that doesn't immediately turn on me so instead of kickbanning this person I welcomed her and acted friendly, even going so far as to defend her if anyone else tried to mess with her.

After about a month of this she asks me to a private chatroom she's created, of which the name escapes me because as the story goes on you will see Alice loves to move around constantly and change names nonstop.
Now in this room is where Alice introduced me to her friend named Zeinheld. This guy was one of those guys who just constantly whiteknights despite all logic and it just grew progressively worse over time as you'll soon find out.
Alice related to me and I to her in the fact that we both had lovely childhoods/families and were in pretty bad situations in life but that's another story altogether. Big surprise there eh? People who are hosed up are on the internet!

Back to the story. Alice begins talking about some album and I'm just halfass following along so I start talking about bands I enjoy, only to realize she's talking about MAKING her own album. She asks me if I would like to hear a song so I go "Sure!" and proceed to listen to it. This is one of those moments in life where you just kinda grit your teeth and lie to spare the feelings of someone you care for, as the song she sent me was the worst generic bullshit techno I've ever heard. Really I should have expected it what with her being an angst-riddled teen at the time.

A bit after that she set up her own private server of Ragnarok Online, a game we both enjoyed for some strange loving reason that I cannot rightfully explain to this day. I hop on and quickly realize it's literally only her little group of friends playing and all they do is answer trivia poo poo no one cares about with her occasionally making some corny remark or joke followed by everyone going "LMFAO!" This would become a reoccuring thing that was maddening to no end and it was my first real hints of what was to come.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
A Lesson On How To Be Annoying As poo poo.

A few people on IRC she used to hang out with started harassing her with light trolling and she freaked the gently caress out which also became a reoccuring event as did the next event; She decided to make a new chat room on another network with another name and password it. Again I cannot recall all the names she used but one was The Kitsune Graveyard or #TKG as it were, so that was probably it at the time.

The thing here is when the move occured, Alice and everyone else seemingly forgot to inform me at first so it took days/weeks to find this out. This is also something that continuously happened. It was also around this time I found myself attracted to her. Perhaps it was feeling she somehow understood me and I her or perhaps it was just loneliness but something sparked and from that day I would follow her and stick by her side through a lot of really stupid poo poo for years to come.

Alice decided around this time to change her IRC nick roughly once every month because she felt this nick or that nick perfectly represented her and who she was at any given moment. Around this time is when I learned she was Bipolar. I had never been very familiar with this illness myself despite suffering from lifelong depression so I had no idea exactly what I was in store for but I can say one thing I learned from it all is that "Love makes you stupid".

Her group of friends seemed to slowly grow and to this day I'm still friends with one or two of the people I met there despite not getting along with some of them at all during these times. I was soon introduced to the fact that Alice was obsessed with anime, underage girls and furries. Ohhh the horrors that followed. Suddenly every one of her friends is admitting they're into furry poo poo or lolis because Alice was into it and they craved the attention. Turns out if you were not into what Alice enjoyed at any given moment then you were some sort of outcast/enemy/spy who was there to ruin the good times. I also became insanely frustrated with the fact that nearly everything Alice said would be followed up by 5 minutes of "LMFAO!" spam.

Around this time is when the concept of TKG house popped up. TKG house is what Alice came up with in the form of all of her e-buddies pooling their resources together, buying a place and taking care of each other (but truthfully more like taking care of her). Like communism, it seemed like a cool idea in theory at the time but the people involved made it a loving nightmare. Every few weeks the TKG house was brought up and Alice tried to convince everyone it could really happen, going as far as to tell me her and Zein would road trip from California to North Carolina just to pick me up and bring me back to be part of it. As someone who couldn't stand being where he was at, I stupidly got excited and thought it could really happen.

Now to talk just a bit about the people here, we have Alice who did and still does, to my knowledge, receive money from the government for being batshit crazy, Zein who was employed rarely at best and me who hasn't been able to find work ever due to some bad choices and very bad luck. Yeah this whole TKG house thing would never work out realistically but we all held on to what little hope we had at the time. Like I said earlier, Love makes you stupid.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Three's Company

After another IRC room move or three I decided to put myself on the line and admit to Alice how I felt about her. Take note at this time I was still quite dedicated to her out of desperation and love so I pretty much ignored all the horrible things building up around me. Almost immediately Zein started to scoff at the idea and from that day he seemed to be passive aggressive towards me, as if to drive some wedge between me and Alice. This was the real beginning of the moment where I learned of this man's obsession.

Alice treated the group of friends as family and all were invited to join TKG house as long as they were friends with her. Some new faces began to pop up at times, some of which disappeared as quickly as they came and others stuck around for years. It became apparent over the following months that practically every guy had a thing for Alice which I suppose is to be expected when you have a small chat room with one girl and a bunch of guys and they're all lonely gently caress ups.

I made friends with a few of the newcomers and retain some small bit of contact with them to this day but it would become apparent soon after that friendship in this place was an illusion, at least during this period, and that the only person that ever mattered to anyone here was Alice.

Now around this time I was informed privately by Alice the "truth" of her past. I say "truth" because I know for a fact some of it was lies yet I feel to this day that some of it could have been real or at the very least something very traumatic had to have happened to create such a being. I was told by Alice that when she was in the 4th grade, she attempted to go to the bathroom one day and another 4th grader and a 5th grader cornered her and proceeded to take turns raping her.

The heartbreak one feels when they are told something of that magnitude by a loved one cannot be described with words. This would factor into my putting up with practically anything because I saw Alice as a truly hurt victim of life that I was certain I could help somehow. Little did I know that she was simply playing the victim card for attention and to ensnare me into her world.

That's it for now. I'll follow up later on with more because there's a few more chapters to go through for sure and this is with forgetting/holding back chunks of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wow, a literal cult of personality.

• Locked thread