Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What is the best online (or offline pdf) photoshop tutorial for a total noob learning to use it on mac (if that makes a difference)?

Like CS5, adobe, photoshop, etc. on Facebook. They regularly post tutorials on all kinds of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What is the best online (or offline pdf) photoshop tutorial for a total noob learning to use it on mac (if that makes a difference)?

I'm a pretty big fan of the tuts network -- http://psd.tutsplus.com/

It has a bunch of everything, and most of the tutorials are fairly well-written.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So i really like the concept behind this but i feel like it could be had for a lot cheaper by buying the supplies yourself. It says it uses a "specially formulated" paint, but i can't imagine it's THAT much different than say, finger paint or something. Anyone have an idea of what kind of paint would be similar?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Yes its probably just acrylic or tempera paint with some kind of carbon based pigment. Either of those will still be a pain in the rear end to get out of your hair. Basically just a piece of preprimed canvas and some black paint with a nice label.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm interested in acquiring and playing with a Super 8 or 8mm video camera, but I know little to nothing about such things. Is this a reasonable goal? What total amount of equipment would I need to shoot, process, and watch the film and how much would this cost? What equipment should I look for/where would be a reputable place to find it? Should I abandon all hope?

Edit: I guess I'm mostly interested in getting video that has that "70s look" to it, so I'm open to any working tech that would be relatively cheap that would accomplish that...

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2012

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

This was posted in the Lost Stuff Before the Internet Thread in GBS, and it's never been resolved. Can any of you arty goons shed any light on the subject?

Shadvidamargini posted:

Can any cultured goons help me identify a painting that's been bugging me for years?

When I was in year 1 or 2 at primary school we went on a class trip to what in retrospect I'm pretty sure was the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (UK). It would have been 1995-7 ish. One painting really intrigued 6-year-old me and stuck with me.

What I remember about it is this: it was a painting of a young girl sitting on the floor, looking at a cut on her foot(?), bleeding drops of sticky, dark blood. Either she was a maid, or she was a rich girl with a maidservant helping her (cleaning her cut etc). Maybe she had long dark hair in a braid. The painting seemed dark and shadowy - they were sitting on the floor of a bedroom/nursery, by candlelight or lamplight, with dark furniture looming. I got a strong feeling of... sickness from it, but the girl struck me as kind of matter-of-fact about her injury, the combination of the two made me really curious. I know nothing about art but the style reminds me of late 18th or 19th Century painting. I think it was quite big, perhaps with an ornate metal frame, but maybe not.

I'm sure I didn't imagine this painting, because I vaguely remember the trip assistant talking about it to the class. In years since, I've tried finding it online, including trying to find a list of all paintings that were in the BMAG in 1995-7, but I can't find anything at all. None of my arty friends know what I'm talking about. It's haunted me, and I'd love to see it again.

Edit: Just remembered they were sitting on the floor in front of a child's bed.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
This might be the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone know of a good site for jewelry/clothing decoration supplies? I'm looking for one that carries more "raw"/earlier stage supplies, rather than fancy decorate beads, pre-made stuff, etc.

I'm looking for some metal hexagons, sort of like this, but not squashed (identical length sides), more precisely manufactured, and sharply beveled to decorate a belt or piece of clothing with.

Locus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 25, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Locus posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone know of a good site for jewelry/clothing decoration supplies? I'm looking for one that carries more "raw"/earlier stage supplies, rather than fancy decorate beads, pre-made stuff, etc.

I'm looking for some metal hexagons, sort of like this, but not squashed (identical length sides), more precisely manufactured, and sharply beveled to decorate a belt or piece of clothing with.

Depending on what you wanted them for/how big they are/how many there are/what materials you wanted, you could have some modeled to spec and 3d printed at a place like Shapeways. http://www.shapeways.com/

They can print in stainless steel for $8 per cubic centimeter or sterling silver for $20. I could model some out for you if you wished.

Edit: If you don't find them elsewhere, that is.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

mutata posted:

Depending on what you wanted them for/how big they are/how many there are/what materials you wanted, you could have some modeled to spec and 3d printed at a place like Shapeways. http://www.shapeways.com/

They can print in stainless steel for $8 per cubic centimeter or sterling silver for $20. I could model some out for you if you wished.

Edit: If you don't find them elsewhere, that is.

I do appreciate that (and have been meaning to experiment with Shapeways for a while), but I'm mostly looking for a bunch of half-inch versions. Maybe 20-50, which would be a bit costly, and their simple shape would also kind of be a waste of cool printing technology.

For a ton of tiny parts like that, something like eMachineShop might be more cost-effective... but either way, I'll just look around for pre-made stuff.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

JonBent0000 posted:

This was posted in the Lost Stuff Before the Internet Thread in GBS, and it's never been resolved. Can any of you arty goons shed any light on the subject?

this may be a dumb idea, but it might be worthwhile actually trying to talk to a curator at the gallery via phone or something.

They'd probably have records of their exhibits, back catalogs and stuff.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Disreputable Dog posted:

this may be a dumb idea, but it might be worthwhile actually trying to talk to a curator at the gallery via phone or something.

They'd probably have records of their exhibits, back catalogs and stuff.

Good idea! Thank you.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm using Illustrator to trace a jpg (by hand), but when I place the image it becomes very pixelated. What's going on?

I've been using Illustrator extensively for years and don't remember this ever being an issue.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

mutata posted:

I'm interested in acquiring and playing with a Super 8 or 8mm video camera, but I know little to nothing about such things. Is this a reasonable goal? What total amount of equipment would I need to shoot, process, and watch the film and how much would this cost? What equipment should I look for/where would be a reputable place to find it? Should I abandon all hope?

Edit: I guess I'm mostly interested in getting video that has that "70s look" to it, so I'm open to any working tech that would be relatively cheap that would accomplish that...

You can get super 8 cameras for really cheap if you frequent thrift / antique stores and the like. That's really all I know, other than the fact that i doubt there's many places that process super 8 these days so you might have to process it yourself which can get expensive. you might be better off just shooting with a cheap minidv and running it through some effects in after effects.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

whereismyshoe posted:

You can get super 8 cameras for really cheap if you frequent thrift / antique stores and the like. That's really all I know, other than the fact that i doubt there's many places that process super 8 these days so you might have to process it yourself which can get expensive. you might be better off just shooting with a cheap minidv and running it through some effects in after effects.

Good call. Thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I'm looking to make a custom hat, and I was wondering what services you folks might recommend? I know about Zazzle, but I'm wondering if perhaps you all had an opinion on their quality, or recommendations for competing services? Thanks!

Dr. David PHD
Mar 12, 2010
Looking for a glue that will effectively stick 2 pieces of card stock together with a relatively fast (1 minute or less) drying time. I have been using hot glue but I don't like the "strings" it leaves everywhere, I do like the fact that the 2 pieces are practically cemented together.

Or, alternatively, can someone suggest a way of using hot glue that won't leave strings?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
How permanent does the glue have to be? You could use rubber cement maybe. When I hot glue stuff, I try to "stub out" the tip of the gun on the surface I'm gluing before I pick it up. That helps keep strings from forming.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Dr. David PHD posted:

Looking for a glue that will effectively stick 2 pieces of card stock together with a relatively fast (1 minute or less) drying time. I have been using hot glue but I don't like the "strings" it leaves everywhere, I do like the fact that the 2 pieces are practically cemented together.

Or, alternatively, can someone suggest a way of using hot glue that won't leave strings?

I would use spray adhesive, they make it in different brands and strengths. Once you get the hang of it, its easy. Ventilated area only, though.

Dr. David PHD
Mar 12, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

How permanent does the glue have to be? You could use rubber cement maybe. When I hot glue stuff, I try to "stub out" the tip of the gun on the surface I'm gluing before I pick it up. That helps keep strings from forming.

Relatively permanent, I mean I don't need it to withstand anything other than time & gravity. (Assuming it would be in a bag/page protector/frame, upright)

What is the drying time & price like on rubber cement?

Beat. posted:

I would use spray adhesive, they make it in different brands and strengths. Once you get the hang of it, its easy. Ventilated area only, though.

Does that leave a "gloss" on the card stock? I considered this but I didn't want to buy a can and have that happen to me.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

I don't know what the specific materials you're working with will do. Probably wont do anything, but I'd just buy a small can and try it out.

I mean, you're asking how much rubber cement costs...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amazon+rubber+cement&l=1

C'mon man...

They both use solvents as their drying agents so whatever happens with one would happen with the other. Spray adhesive is actually very similar to rubber cement, just in a spray can.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Dr. David PHD posted:

A good quality rubber cement. The trick is to brush it on both surfaces. Let it dry then stick them together. Too many people glue with rubber cement while it's still wet which is a no-no.

If you only brush one side (and let it dry) then stick together it is "removable".

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Stupid little question because I like using astronomy motifs and I'm anal about little details:

I know it is possible to have the waxing crescent and Venus the Evening Star next to each other just around/after sunset during the winter solstice.

Is it possible to have it during the summer solstice? Because I've been hitting google but nobody says anything about it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Lady of the Beech posted:

Stupid little question because I like using astronomy motifs and I'm anal about little details:

I know it is possible to have the waxing crescent and Venus the Evening Star next to each other just around/after sunset during the winter solstice.

Is it possible to have it during the summer solstice? Because I've been hitting google but nobody says anything about it.

A quick check on here http://neave.com/planetarium/ at a few locations suggests that the answer is no.

muntl
Feb 3, 2003
Are there any reliable websites that offer affordable giclee printing?

muntl fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 4, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

neonnoodle posted:

A quick check on here http://neave.com/planetarium/ at a few locations suggests that the answer is no.
Thanks for that! That thing is really useful!

Playing around with that thing, I also noticed that the summer mirrors the winter precisely by having the morning star with a waning crescent. This is perfect for my purposes.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Painters: What's the minimum size canvas you would use to paint a portrait from life? I keep finding myself having a hard time with stroke control on fine details like the eyes and under the nose. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I naturally work very, very small. The biggest canvas I have used is around 9 x 11, basically like a standard sheet of paper.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can I use normal acrylic latex paint that I can buy from Lowes in the big gallon containers to paint Styrofoam? Will this be a issue of the paint not sticking to the material or being absorbed into the material? I am about to start working on a big decoration project for my nursery and I need to find out some what soon and Google searches have not provided a good answer yet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Acrylics are just fine on styrofoam.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
I'm writing a Broadway play... who should I contact first when the draft and demos are done?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

Painters: What's the minimum size canvas you would use to paint a portrait from life? I keep finding myself having a hard time with stroke control on fine details like the eyes and under the nose. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I naturally work very, very small. The biggest canvas I have used is around 9 x 11, basically like a standard sheet of paper.

Try using a mahl stick to balance your hand (and keep your hand off the canvas) if you're having trouble with brush control.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I've been thinking about the technique and style I wish to use to illustrate my comic, and I have decided on a cel masking effect not unlike 2D animation. I'll be using digitally colorized lineart (exactly the style in this picture) for subjects and oil pastel for backgrounds. The idea is color.

I was thinking about a procedure:

1. pencil subjects and backgrounds.
2. Ink subjects.
3. Scan and colorize ink.
4. Color backgrounds with oil pastel.
5. Scan again and digitally overlap with colorized ink.

I'll be using 11 x 17 paper for my comics, but I'm not sure what is the best kind of paper to use for india ink pens and oil pastels. I would prefer for it to be as inexpensive as possible since this will be a complete graphic novel and not isolated artwork.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 21, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Does anyone have a recommendation for an adhesive that won't degrade fiber-based silver prints? I've been cutting up photos for a little bit now with no adhesive because I assume every single one is going to be non-archival.
e: I'm kind of considering just sticking everything with pins and calling it integral to the piece.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Any brand and/or methodology recommendations for dyeing 100% polyester fabric? Specifically I'm looking to ombre two layers (both polyester :smithicide:) one satiny and one sheer at the bottom of a wedding gown.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Could anyone suggest a book, 2 or 3 would be fantastic if they're not expensive, that would help with learning how to put more structure, meter and whatnot, into poems and such? I want to start writing again since I enjoyed it when I was younger, but looking back I think they were rather sophomoric since I wasn't experienced and we never got close to really studying it in English class(es).

VV Did you mean to link a guide on a website somewhere? Or am I that thick? What you've said sounds great too, I guess I should have just said any really good books for poetry for beginners. I mostly meant I didn't need any help with the creativity or developing a passion for it, but needed to actually get a good foundation instead of just doing whatever pops into my head.

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 24, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

Could anyone suggest a book, 2 or 3 would be fantastic if they're not expensive, that would help with learning how to put more structure, meter and whatnot, into poems and such? I want to start writing again since I enjoyed it when I was younger, but looking back I think they were rather sophomoric since I wasn't experienced and we never got close to really studying it in English class(es).

It's not a book, but I like this guide on writing alliterative verse.

Alliterative verse is very different from more modern poetry forms because of how it is measured and structured, but it is very much worth studying for everyone. It is the oldest and most traditional way of composing poetry in the Germanic languages (English is a Germanic language), which is the reason why alliterative verse flows so naturally--it is made for our language and our language is built on it.

If you want an example of alliterative verse, think of Beowulf in the Old English.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 24, 2012

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

What is Mod Podge? Some kind of a glue? I'm not familiar with the brand and would like to know what it basically is.

Also, if anyone has any hot tips n' tricks for image transfers (inkjet onto wood and such) I'd be all ears.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Yeah, I meant to link to a site and forgot the link.

http://alliteration.net/fieldgd.htm

Here you go!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Lady of the Beech posted:

Yeah, I meant to link to a site and forgot the link.

http://alliteration.net/fieldgd.htm

Here you go!

Awesome, that seems really neat. Thanks. Can't hurt to learn about both and be a bit more flexible :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I want to try writing a script for a comic book and was wondering if anyone knew any good sites or books for tips to writing in a script format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I want to try writing a script for a comic book and was wondering if anyone knew any good sites or books for tips to writing in a script format.

There seems to be no standard method for writing a comic book script so just write in a format that works for you.

Here's a page from the script I am working on. Since I am also doing the illustration it only need make sense to me. I'm very concerned with the way I arrange my panels and the subject matter in them, so all of that is vividly described as I try to translate my vision into a format that makes sense in the form of a comic.

Beowulf Ecgþeowing: Talu Twiges Teald posted:

Panel 1: Horizontal. Far shot from the corner, with the length of the hall disappearing at left. Running down the aisle, partially concealed behind the heads and torsos of people at the near table, is a small boy with long blond hair chasing a larger boy with dark hair (they are both seven years old). Their faces are difficult to make out clearly. The dark-haired boy is turning left around the far table.

Panel 2: Second row. From the end of the far table in previous panel, with a game of tæfl in progress between Hroðgar king of the Scyldings and a preteen boy with curly black hair (this is Ingeld of the Heaðobards). The torsos of the two boys are in the foreground of this panel, running rightward, their faces obscured from view.

Panel 3: Third row. Midshot, Hroðgar turned to our right pondering on the tæfl game. Hrút (here seven years old), his daughter, stands over his left right shoulder and points to a winning move.

HRÚT (above): Move that one right there.

Panel 4: Close-up of the game. Hroðgar’s hand from the left, pushing his piece. He is playing black, that is, the king’s side.

HRÚT (below): Yeah, Dad! Now you’re free to escape the king.

Panel 5: Fourth row. Bleeding. No background. Far shot, Hroðgar at left, Ingeld at right, Hroðgar throws his hands up into the air in victory.

FX (above): VICTORY

Panel 6: Midshot, from behind Hrút and Hroðgar, Hroðgar turning to slap his daughter a high five. Ingeld is crossing his arms, rolling his eyes in sore defeat.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2012