Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Shogunner posted:

I'm confused, why is this not working

LWin & ~Numpad9::Ctrl & Alt & Insert

Wouldn't that make my L windows + Numpad 9 perform Ctrl+Alt+Insert

My mind is blown

:negative:

try this?
~Lwin & ~Numpad9::Ctrl & Alt & Insert

there's also: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/resources/hotkeys

So if you're going for media keys, have what you want send the media command.

E:
do you have global hotkeys for sure enabled in winamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Tedronai66 posted:

*words*

Yea it's enabled, also it says that Ctrl & Alt & Insert isn't valid. Also, having the ~ infront of windows would defeat the purpose of me turning it into a permanent function key I think. Ugh, this poo poo is giving me headaches.

e: Also, regarding the WASD link, I don't get what it's telling me.

Downloadable Scripts

- Multimedia and volume hotkeys
- Change Scroll Lock to toggle Windows key function on/off

I'd love these scripts but there is no link to them or any instructions that are of use seemingly.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 24, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Shogunner posted:

Yea it's enabled, also it says that Ctrl & Alt & Insert isn't valid. Also, having the ~ infront of windows would defeat the purpose of me turning it into a permanent function key I think. Ugh, this poo poo is giving me headaches.

e: Also, regarding the WASD link, I don't get what it's telling me.

Downloadable Scripts

- Multimedia and volume hotkeys
- Change Scroll Lock to toggle Windows key function on/off

I'd love these scripts but there is no link to them or any instructions that are of use seemingly.

I think the downloadable scripts are coming soon.Was more referenceing the send commands.

And yeah, ~ in front of LWin would keep it as a windows key, I read it wrong.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Tedronai66 posted:

I think the downloadable scripts are coming soon.Was more referenceing the send commands.

And yeah, ~ in front of LWin would keep it as a windows key, I read it wrong.

Oh gently caress it I'll just use my n52te to control media. v:v:v

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
I'm loving the blues on the Cooler Master board. I can't put down typeracer. My table isn't flat though so its a little wobbly. Thank god for double sided tape.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I want to get a gaming keyboard in the US but I'm used to the Brazilian ABNT2 keys, is there any way to get a keyboard + other keys to switch around or something? I don't know, just trying to think of a solution.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Greedish posted:

I want to get a gaming keyboard in the US but I'm used to the Brazilian ABNT2 keys, is there any way to get a keyboard + other keys to switch around or something? I don't know, just trying to think of a solution.

If you buy from WASD Keyboards you can order it with whatever you want on the keycaps. Like, any symbol in the unicode character set on any key I think. They're on the more expensive side because they're mechanical keyboards though (which also makes it totally worth it because mechanical switch keyboards are amazing).

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I CAN TYPE FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh man, the ninja Majestouch is pretty nice when you're just slouching way back in your seat and can only see the sides of the keys

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I got my Choc Mini yesterday. I like it a lot so far, still getting used to it a bit, and retraining all the bad habits (misplaced pipe) from my SS 6gv2.

Not sure I really like the Brown keys. I like the feel of linear keys WAY more. I'm never going to be a gentle typist, so it's weird that the keys catch a little on their way to being bottomed out.

So 2 expensive keyboards later, the lesson learned is: try Reds next time. :downs:

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Saw your pictures on geekhack, like the look. How is the wrist rest for these beasts? I got a WASD for the wife awhile back and the didn't have them at the time, now I am curious about getting one for her.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Just picked up the CM Storm at my local Microcenter. Aside from the font and the slightly obnoxious branding it is great.

There is a sticker on the front of the box that tells you what type of switch you are getting. All of the ones at my store were Cherry MX Blue.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I found this, It probably has been mentioned by maybe it should be in the OP because it is the most informative thing I've read about keyboards: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Liar of the Shire posted:

Just picked up the CM Storm at my local Microcenter. Aside from the font and the slightly obnoxious branding it is great.

There is a sticker on the front of the box that tells you what type of switch you are getting. All of the ones at my store were Cherry MX Blue.

I'm still using mine and I'm still blown away by how awesome it is. But if you're gonna use it... invest in some nice headphones. I think I actually got a headache from how loud they click (though that's sort of awesome).

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Grimey posted:

Saw your pictures on geekhack, like the look. How is the wrist rest for these beasts? I got a WASD for the wife awhile back and the didn't have them at the time, now I am curious about getting one for her.

They do the job just fine. I was never spoiled with those fancy 30 buck leather onces and what not though so keep that in mind.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

I'm still using mine and I'm still blown away by how awesome it is. But if you're gonna use it... invest in some nice headphones. I think I actually got a headache from how loud they click (though that's sort of awesome).
Yes yes, it was probably the best 72.73 I've ever spent.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
My z key stopped working on my Ducky :(

I guess I'm going to try and open the switch and see if something's wrong.

Edit: weird, started working. May have just been Windows acting up or something.

Shadaez fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 25, 2012

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Shadaez posted:

My z key stopped working on my Ducky :(

I guess I'm going to try and open the switch and see if something's wrong.
Aren't Ducky's plate mounted? I don't think you can get those open without destroying the thing.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Aren't Ducky's plate mounted? I don't think you can get those open without destroying the thing.

You can open individual keys up, but I think the issue was just Windows acting up, it fixed itself.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Got my new Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate Silent. This thing is loving sweeeeeeeet.

This is a comparison of the sound between my old keyboard (a Logitech G11) and the Das:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqbtOeuHoq4

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Plate mounted switches can be removed, just need a soldering iron to unsolder it from the pcb, and then just push and the key should just pop out

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
My Thinkpad keyboard has made me start to seriously nitpick my MS Natural 4000 keyboard. Short version: is there a keyboard with a similar layout with Cherry Brown switches or a way to mod the keyboard?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

My Thinkpad keyboard has made me start to seriously nitpick my MS Natural 4000 keyboard. Short version: is there a keyboard with a similar layout with Cherry Brown switches or a way to mod the keyboard?

They don't, but Lenovo does make thinkpad keyboard for desktops for about $60

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

Shogunner posted:

What font size did you end up using on that keyboard? I'm not sure if I want a 104 WASD, but those pictures are making me think twice about that decision.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

why halo thar posted:

What font size did you end up using on that keyboard? I'm not sure if I want a 104 WASD, but those pictures are making me think twice about that decision.

Oh man, so many people have asked about my font/letters layout, I'm flattered. Here's exactly what I ordered, but with all black keys.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/custom-designer/?k=1&s=907372450aa412b4647b9b8a64967f71

Have fun!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arcsech posted:

Like, any symbol in the unicode character set on any key I think.
Are you sure about that? I tried multiple times to add US-Intl characters (בחצ) and Cyrillic characters in the customiser, but the Flash interface never acknowledged them, even when I used copy-paste.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Yeah, it doesn't recognize ח which is pretty essential in Portuguese.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I'm seriously considering buying a VorTex RACE 75% keyboard with MX Blue switches as my first mechanical. I'm currently using a Cherry G83 rubberdome and would love to get rid of the number keys and get in on the sweet mechanical action.

Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger?

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
So the only mechanical that I think looks good/has blue backlighting that I like is the Razer Blackwidow. Does anyone have this? The Newegg reviews for it aren't exactly flattering. It also doesn't mention what switches it uses, I guess they are custom?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

So the only mechanical that I think looks good/has blue backlighting that I like is the Razer Blackwidow. Does anyone have this? The Newegg reviews for it aren't exactly flattering. It also doesn't mention what switches it uses, I guess they are custom?

BlackWidow uses blues, BW Stealth uses browns.

e: also, I don't like the layout of my BW at all. I always end up hitting the macro keys reaching for ctrl, shift, etc. because that's where the edge of the loving keyboard should be.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 26, 2012

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

BlackWidow uses blues, BW Stealth uses browns.

e: also, I don't like the layout of my BW at all. I always end up hitting the macro keys reaching for ctrl, shift, etc. because that's where the edge of the loving keyboard should be.

I really like my Black Widow actually. I had that same problem but I just used the software that comes with it to rebind the macro keys to tab, shift, and control and that pretty much solved it.

By the way, anyone know if WASDKeybord keycap sets will fit on a BW? It uses the same kind of switches but I don't know if the keycaps are the same physical dimensions.

NihilCredo posted:

Are you sure about that? I tried multiple times to add US-Intl characters (בחצ) and Cyrillic characters in the customiser, but the Flash interface never acknowledged them, even when I used copy-paste.

Welp, I'm wrong. Sorry about that, it works with so many weird characters I just assumed it worked with all of them.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Just got my das with browns. Holy poo poo I love it. I think browns are definitely by favorite switch out of blues/browns. Since it's looking like mr. tax return will be nice to me this year, I might grab one for home now too.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I just ordered the Ducky Shine Cherry MX Brown keyboard -- have you looked at that? Should arrive on Saturday.

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=11421

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Arcsech posted:

By the way, anyone know if WASDKeybord keycap sets will fit on a BW? It uses the same kind of switches but I don't know if the keycaps are the same physical dimensions.

Just pulled a cap off both the black widow and the das. they match.

I think the qwerty and numpad and stuff will match. ctrl/win/alt row might not.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just eyeballing it here, so don't take my word for it, but it looks like the left side modifier keys along the first row are 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 on the Blackwidow instead of the standard 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25, and the right side is 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1.5 instead of 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25. If you add them up, it equals 9 instead of 8.75, which means the spacebar will also be a smidge smaller than standard.

You'd also have to look into whether they use different stabilizers--Costar versus Cherry.

And, of course, you'd be losing out on the backlighting, since WASD's keys aren't designed for it.

I think if you just get the appropriate sizes and don't change the spacebar--and if the stabilizers are the same, and if you don't care about backlighting--then it would work. But at that point, I'd say it's almost worth it to just get a whole new keyboard altogether.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Razer BWU is costar stabilizer.

If you really, really want to swap some keycaps, you should be able to swap every key that isn't a modifier or stabilizer. WASD offers 37-key sets. That encompasses the standard lettered keys (excluding numberpad) and the arrow cluster. Those should fit perfectly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arcsech posted:

I'd love to know the same thing for a WASD custom keycap on a Corsair keyboard, if anyone happens to have that pair. Mainly the Control/Win/Alt I'd like to customise.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Cherry switch keycaps are all compatible with each other, except for spacebar in some instances.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

404notfound posted:

Just eyeballing it here, so don't take my word for it, but it looks like the left side modifier keys along the first row are 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 on the Blackwidow instead of the standard 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25, and the right side is 1.5 - 1 - 1 - 1.5 instead of 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25 - 1.25. If you add them up, it equals 9 instead of 8.75, which means the spacebar will also be a smidge smaller than standard.

You'd also have to look into whether they use different stabilizers--Costar versus Cherry.

And, of course, you'd be losing out on the backlighting, since WASD's keys aren't designed for it.

I think if you just get the appropriate sizes and don't change the spacebar--and if the stabilizers are the same, and if you don't care about backlighting--then it would work. But at that point, I'd say it's almost worth it to just get a whole new keyboard altogether.

Awesome, thanks. I'm just thinking that it might be nice to replace some of them at some point, I've heard the plastic on the BW keys can get rubbed down to smooth pretty quickly - I haven't had that happen yet but just in case. I have the cheapo BW without the backlighting anyway so that doesn't matter. I'd probably only be replacing the letter keys since those would be the most worn down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

teraflame posted:

Cherry switch keycaps are all compatible with each other, except for spacebar in some instances.

Not all. The alphabet and number keys will all fit, but do not all share the same profile. The modifiers are different between Cherry and Costar boards, spacebar spacing is off as you said, and some custom keycap manufactueres (namely, Signature plastics) just do their own thing and their caps end up fitting terribly, being misaligned, being too tall, wrong profile, etc.

• Locked thread