Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Paragon8 posted:

are you exporting to sRGB? Chrome has appalling colour management so it shits itself at any other profile than sRGB.
Yep, forgot to mention that in my post. Image also looks the same in IE and Firefox. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Not necessarily, every single program can implement color in a completely unique way if it so chooses!

It's far more complex a problem than is reasonable.. look up stories about how NASA processes their images for public consumption if you want to get a glimpse of that world.
Here's a video of NASA working photoshop.
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

tijag posted:

Everything I do in Lightroom looks substantially different when I look at it in Chrome later.

Usually much darker.

I hate it.
Tell me about it. Chrome throws a light magenta tint on all my photos that look correct in Lightroom. :mad:

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I tried experienting with other colour profiles(using adobe in camera instead of sRGB) a while back and nothing worked properly. I'm back at sRGB which appears to be the only one not broken in various browsers.

Lightroom also used a different colour profile, in some cases when I worked with high bit depth images. That also turned out bad, so forcing sRGB was necessary.

goattrails fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 27, 2012

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Which OS are you guys on that are noticing the large difference?

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I'm using macs primarily.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm using a Macbook Pro as well

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

My last few from LR to Flickr exports from my Mac seemed to come out ok. Shot in 14 bit RAW. I'll have to review more tomorrow I'm on my PC now and what I have on Flickr seems ok in Chrome.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Instrumedley posted:

Guide on washed out effect

JaundiceDave posted:

Split toning in lightroom is laughably easy, if a bit dumbed down from photoshop, but it fits to a tee lightroom's goal of being able to do 90% of post without having to open op photoshop. To get that look - that's not a film look btw - you should have the highlights set to a light green, and the shadows set to a dark purple. Adjust saturation and balance to taste.

Thank you both for the help, I've been playing around in lightroom heaps to get this. I've nailed the washed out feel. The split toning is easy to learn but hard to master, greens and yellows for highlights and purples and blues for shadows seem to work best but getting the exact tone is hard, it also seems to be different for every photo, or maybe I'm just bad at this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I find that getting a consistent tone from one photo to the next is the most difficult part of split toning.

Unless the photos share a similar lighting, I mean.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm on Windows 7.

I'm just wondering how these photos look to my clients.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Medpak posted:

Which OS are you guys on that are noticing the large difference?

Win 7 here.

The largest difference between lightroom/web browser is how much darker the pictures are when I export them.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

tijag posted:

Win 7 here.

The largest difference between lightroom/web browser is how much darker the pictures are when I export them.

This is always a problem for me.

Edit: on osx 10.6.8 fwiw

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My pics look exactly the same on both desktops in LR 2, 3, and beta 4. I'm lucky I guess?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bottom Liner posted:

My pics look exactly the same on both desktops in LR 2, 3, and beta 4. I'm lucky I guess?

Did you hit the button to "update process"?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean I never had that issue in any of the 3 versions with any pics. I generally don't move catalogs from version to version.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Like an idiot, I set Lightroom 4 to import the RAW files to My Pictures folder leaving about 10GB of storage left on my main hard drive. I need to relocate these files to my storage drive. The only problem is, if I move the RAW files out of the designated folder, Lightroom will say "File Not Found". Is there a way to move the RAW files out of the C:/ drive and still keep all the adjustments that I've made?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 5, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So my LR 2 export dialogue has decided it only wants to show the desktop and my user folder as viable locations to export to. They're the only two places listed, this makes it hard to export to the external that I've been exporting to for several years. Anyone encountered this issue before?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

Like an idiot, I set Lightroom 4 to import the RAW files to My Pictures folder leaving about 10GB of storage left on my main hard drive. I need to relocate these files to my storage drive. The only problem is, if I move the RAW files out of the designated folder, Lightroom will say "File Not Found". Is there a way to move the RAW files out of the C:/ drive and still keep all the adjustments that I've made?
Use lightroom to move the files.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

I've moved them outside, and then gone to the collection in LR and repointed it at them and things updated magically.

I'm not sure where the 'darker' picture exports are coming from for you guys. Multiple browsers across a Mac/PC at my house and all the browsers produce the same results. Maybe your color calibration is off or even your monitor is acting odd in LR or PS?

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

I have a question about if something is possible. I have a photo of a blouse that I'd like to alter to use as a listing. Other post-processing advice is always welcome, I really know very little about altering photos at all.

Basically, I have this image:

And I'd like to replace the blouse with this pattern:

Is it possible to do so without making the whole thing look incredibly obviously photoshopped? I know a lot of stores use the same image and just adjust the pattern/color, but I don't know if it's possible starting with a graphic print and replacing it with another. I'm not even sure how to frame my question correctly, sorry!

I looked around a bunch and this seemed like the best place to ask this, any advice? I'd rather not have to make an individual shirt for every pattern available.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Gonktastic posted:

Is it possible to do so without making the whole thing look incredibly obviously photoshopped? I know a lot of stores use the same image and just adjust the pattern/color, but I don't know if it's possible starting with a graphic print and replacing it with another. I'm not even sure how to frame my question correctly, sorry!

I looked around a bunch and this seemed like the best place to ask this, any advice? I'd rather not have to make an individual shirt for every pattern available.

You could do it if you were wanting to put that fabric pattern on a solid, but trying to put it on another pattern is going to be insanely difficult.

If you had to do it, I'd make a new layer over the existing shirt, and with white and black brushes I'd try to replicate the shading of the dress wrinkles. Then I'd lay the new pattern over top, use liquify to distort it around the volume of her torso, use the magic lasso and masking (or the pen tool) to mask the new pattern to the right shape, then use that black and white wrinkle layer overlayed on soft light or overlay to get it to look like fabric. I'd follow with some dodge and burning to further get it to look like it's draped on her figure. And finally a split tone layer to try to match the lighting color.

So yeah, a lot of work.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

You could do it if you were wanting to put that fabric pattern on a solid, but trying to put it on another pattern is going to be insanely difficult.

If you had to do it, I'd make a new layer over the existing shirt, and with white and black brushes I'd try to replicate the shading of the dress wrinkles. Then I'd lay the new pattern over top, use liquify to distort it around the volume of her torso, use the magic lasso and masking (or the pen tool) to mask the new pattern to the right shape, then use that black and white wrinkle layer overlayed on soft light or overlay to get it to look like fabric. I'd follow with some dodge and burning to further get it to look like it's draped on her figure. And finally a split tone layer to try to match the lighting color.

So yeah, a lot of work.
Thanks for such a helpful answer. You're probably right, it is far too much work, especially for someone with as little experience as me. After asking around a bit today, customers would rather just see a swatch than bad photo editing.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah it will be a lot less trouble that way. The way big e-stores switch out colors and patterns is with rendering programs, which makes it much easier.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
I had a moment so I figured I'd show you what I meant. Obviously if this was commercial I'd have been tighter with details on the shading, but this gives you the general workflow idea.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Of course, the guy who textures video game characters and 3D models professionally makes it look easy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hahaha, loving bravo. I hate doing anything like that, but I let out a loud chuckle watching it look so easy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can probably also use the warp grid in PS to wrap the contours a little too, negate some of the straight-line-across-chest look that this sort of job tends to have.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What's the opinion on Aperture versus Lightroom? Specifically for working on scanned negatives. But other general management and basic duties also.

I have some Adobe product experience from earlier and I'll probably try the Lightroom beta anyway but I'll be picking up a new Mac at the end of the month and I'm not willing to rule out Aperture, especially as cheap as it is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Laser Cow posted:

What's the opinion on Aperture versus Lightroom? Specifically for working on scanned negatives. But other general management and basic duties also.

I have some Adobe product experience from earlier and I'll probably try the Lightroom beta anyway but I'll be picking up a new Mac at the end of the month and I'm not willing to rule out Aperture, especially as cheap as it is.

The consensus is they both work well and whichever you feel more comfortable with is the right one.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Laser Cow posted:

Try lightroom, the beta of 4 is even better, and now supports light video editing too. If you have access to the student version, lightroom isn't that much more expensive than aperture.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, they both have betas so just pick whichever you prefer.

That said, I think the majority of us in here use Lightroom for one reason or another. It worked great with my scanned negatives, though I can't imagine Aperture would have done any worse.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
lightroom is better in pretty much any way except user interface. try both (i think there's a free trial for both) and unless you find yourself really loving aperture or hating lightroom, go with lightroom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The monolithic library is one reason I use LR3 instead of aperture even though I'm on a Mac more often than not. Also, I know how it works.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Is Photoshop available at a student price? I can only find it for Lightroom. I swore I saw PS for like $200 for students.

Oh, I just stumbled on CS5 extended.

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 14, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, see if you can't find an old (old-ish) version maybe. I still contend that for like 99% of my daily needs I could probably get by with Photoshop 7

If it wasn't PPC only, I mean.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have PS3 on CD/1.4MB floppies if you need it, original packaging with manuals and warranty cards and everything.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can I get some critiques on the way I processed this image (or just critiques in general really)? I can't decide if I like the effect I got here or if I went a bit overboard with the split toning. I've read Understanding Exposure a few times, which book should I tackle next? Instead of playing around with the slider randomly, I'd love to know what I was actually doing. Please feel free to download the image and process it yourself to illustrate a point. I'll even post the RAW if that helps.

Processed

The original crop

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Can I get some critiques on the way I processed this image (or just critiques in general really)? I can't decide if I like the effect I got here or if I went a bit overboard with the split toning. I've read Understanding Exposure a few times, which book should I tackle next? Instead of playing around with the slider randomly, I'd love to know what I was actually doing. Please feel free to download the image and process it yourself to illustrate a point. I'll even post the RAW if that helps.

Processed

The original crop

I'm not a big fan over the strong green/cyan cross processed look (but plenty of people are), but if you're kind of going for a more vintage/film look, I like going this way with it:

It's a bit of a cliche look maybe, but I like it. That said, I mostly do black and white so I'm maybe not the best person to advise you.

EDIT:
Or maybe that's not what you were going for? You'll probably get better help if you explain what you were trying to do.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your edit actually looks too grey to me. Though I guess it could be because you were editing a jpeg?

It makes the subject look like a ghost, while the background keeps more of its contrast.

• Locked thread