Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Bought a naked SV650 today, first gen. Its inaugural ride was 60 miles of highway in 30 degree weather one day after a snowstorm poo poo around 6 inches of snow on us. I also hadn't touched a motorcycle since...oh...last June. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Went on a 3hr ride from Austin up to Glen Rose to meet and have lunch with some other ST owners. Picked up a nail in the rear tire close to glen rose, when we came out of the restaurant the tire was almost completely flat. :( Pulled out my plug kit and got a gummy worm shoved in there, only to have my mini compressor sieze up and stop working. Borrowed another rider's to get up to 45psi and set a direct course back to home. I kept stopping at gas stations every 30 minutes to check the tire, but the plug held all the way back home.
Oh well, it was still a good day to be riding.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I finally managed to track down a used set of Cortech Sport Saddlebags to go with the tail bag on Craigslist. Drove 20 miles into Boston in the middle of a snowstorm to get them, because I've already lost two for not jumping on them fast enough.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Today I replaced the clutch lever mount so that I could have the mirror post for the naked mirrors that are mounted to the bars.

Also found that the first owner (not the second one cause he's a dolt) ran a relay getting power straight from the battery to the steering bulkhead for the S version's twin horns. (Which is odd because every Bandit owner seems to do that to by pass the lovely wire for the headlights)

I'm going to steal that and use it for my headlights instead. I was planning on doing that down the road, but since it's already there, why the heck not.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the first owner did things properly. Which supports the second owner's story about the first owner being very meticulous with his maintenance. (Second owner only owned the bike for the summer)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yesterday I pretty much finished up most of the mechanical stuff I wanted to work on since I picked up my CB650 back in September. I've never worked on cars or bikes before, didn't even have tools before I started this. It was definitely a learning experience, though the bike was in pretty drat decent shape for being almost 30 years old.

Pulled carbs, soaked and cleaned them out, new gaskets, etc.
Stainless steel brake and clutch lines.
New air filter (Old one had a giant rear end mouse nest in it).
Final drive oil change.
New fork seals and fluid.
New plugs and wires.
Wiring mod for bigger gauge wire to coils.
Seat reupholstered with some new foam.
New wheels bearings and tires.

Also picked up some Cortech sport saddlebags and tail bag.

One thing I'm debating is to go with a windscreen of some sort. I was a little uncomfortable riding at highway speeds on a naked bike, but I'm thinking this could be just due to my inexperience. I really like the look of the bike with no screen, and like being in the open wind <55 mph.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll adjust to the windblast after a few weeks of riding. Helmet fit and aerodynamic quality is a lot more important when you don't have a windshield though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zubumafoo posted:

One thing I'm debating is to go with a windscreen of some sort. I was a little uncomfortable riding at highway speeds on a naked bike, but I'm thinking this could be just due to my inexperience. I really like the look of the bike with no screen, and like being in the open wind <55 mph.

If you don't already wear earplugs while riding i'd recommend it, cutting down on wind noise really makes long periods of high speed driving more comfortable.

Remember to hold onto the bike with your knees, keep your arms loose and lean forward to let the wind hold you up at freeway speeds, once you get used to it you should have no problems.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Threw all the bodywork back on the ninja so it should be ready to go. Between having to rig up/bondo the VFRs fairings back together since they were $700 each, not being able to find an upper cowl for the ninja and riding both bikes missing fairing stays and various tabs I think maybe the next bike might just be a naked.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

Also found that the first owner (not the second one cause he's a dolt) ran a relay getting power straight from the battery to the steering bulkhead for the S version's twin horns. (Which is odd because every Bandit owner seems to do that to by pass the lovely wire for the headlights)

Another item for my mods list.

I've already run a relay for direct battery power to my Stebel Magnum twin horns of DOOM, running another direct line for the headlight should be simple enough.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Got a lot of dumb maintenance done on my Ninja 250 today.

- Cleaned and waxed the chain
- Topped up the oil (whoops... you think extended periods of 12k RPM wouldn't decrease oil levels?)
- Checked coolant and rear brake reservoir levels
- Replaced my broken clutch safety switch
- Bought a torque wrench and tightened the clutch and brake lever bolts to spec (replaced both levers last month)
- Tested my lovely MegaBoost battery against a voltmeter (fully charged and with proper water level it only holds 12.2v with no load). Ordered a new dry Yuasa and should get it soon.
- Full wash and detail

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
That MegaBoost has a lifetime warranty by the way. Take it to any Cycle Gear and they'll swap it out for a new one for free. Even if you don't have your receipt it's okay because CG is the only store that carries MegaBoost.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

-Inu- posted:

That MegaBoost has a lifetime warranty by the way. Take it to any Cycle Gear and they'll swap it out for a new one for free. Even if you don't have your receipt it's okay because CG is the only store that carries MegaBoost.

I know about it, but I don't want to keep playing with their lovely batteries. I will probably swap it for a new one and then pawn it off to a friend. And of course CG is the only place that carries MegaBoost... they barely sell anything that isn't house brand. :ohdear:

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Tore apart my xs650 today to take steps towards making it ride better, cleaned up the chain and got some new shoes for the rear drum. Gonna be replacing the swing arm bushings and other bits as well, I'm pretty excited.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If its like other Yamahas of that vintage, I think you'll be floored when you find out:

A) How bad and sloppy the old bushings were

and

B) How much better it handles with new bushings.

Putting new bushings in my RD350 was pretty night and day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Registered Loser posted:

Tore apart my xs650 today to take steps towards making it ride better, cleaned up the chain and got some new shoes for the rear drum. Gonna be replacing the swing arm bushings and other bits as well, I'm pretty excited.

I'm about to put some new bushings in my buddy's as well.
Check out this vid for some useful info.

http://vorhese.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-xs650-bronze-swingarm.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_EWULk-u4

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

My swing arm has just as much play as the one in that video, should be pretty big difference with the bronze bushings I'd imagine.

... So today I drained the oil and cleaned out the filters, the oil was putrid and there was a coating of shavings and gunk on the filter magnets.

These bikes are notorious for blowing up the mesh screen on the sump filters apparently so I wasn't too surprised to find that was the case with mine. A common fix is to smear it over with JB weld, but I was bored and decided to tack on a strip of metal from a coffee can and then seal the edges with JB weld. 100% colombian repair. So far I think I like wrenching on bikes a lot more than cars.

Registered Loser fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 28, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I was able to remove the seat, spark plug wire, engine cover, carburetor, oil tank, and exhaust from the Vento Triton before it got too cold/dark today. I can't remove the line to the oil pump until I remove the fan, flywheel and stator. Only then will I be able to drop the engine. Just about everything's getting replaced with better-quality parts since I didn't trust the stock internals to handle a 70cc kit and pipe.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My cats eye taillight rattled itaself to individual pieces over the past 6 months, when I got home a few days ago it was just the main housing and the led light dangling from the wiring, not the best taillight at this point. Ordered a new one on eBay, welded up a new bracket and connected it... hello not subtle!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Right now my bike is sad because it looks like this.

But, I am going to use this:

To make it look like this:

Once I get this tidied up a bit:

So today I've done nothing to my bike :( But the garage is looking better.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Got this far and all I've broken is a mount point for the right side plastics (epoxy putty is my friend) and a turn signal wiring connector (look at your wiring routes carefully and don't turn the bars too fast the first time I've learned).

I figure by the time I get a speedo mount cut and drilled I'll have broken a few more things, but naked FZ6 is coming along.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Apparently my friend's bike used to have a :krad: paint job.

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/02/hidden-gem.html

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nsaP posted:

That looks rad. 4cylinder naked bikes are the best. Pretty exhaust headers for all to see.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Put my rearsets on and completed a 4 month re-build.

Long rear end ride now, pics later.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Ziploc posted:

4cylinder naked bikes are the best. Pretty exhaust headers for all to see.

No.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

_Dav posted:

No.

I disagree. Yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

_Dav posted:

No.

Everyone look at how wrong this guy is. Look at him and laugh.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

_Dav posted:

No.

I agree, it's all about 1, 2, 3 or 6 cylinder naked bikes.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Sir Cornelius posted:

I agree, it's all about 1, 2, 3 or 6 cylinder naked bikes.

BINGO. 4 headers is so 'normal' looking that its boring. Not a fan of the single header on Sv650s though, looks doofy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sv650's have two headers.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

sv650's have two headers.

http://coolbikes1.blogspot.com/2011/08/suzuki-z400.html

Eh? I have a feeling I've got the wrong word here. Header, like header pipes?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I still think hayabusas are the best. Off the fuckin' chain, those bikes.

And they accentuate my biceps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

_Dav posted:

You have the right word, there are two of them.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

_Dav posted:

There are two of them, but one of them isn't easily visible due to being on the back of the motor, since its a v-twin motor. It kind of twists around and joins the rest of the exhaust underneath the bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

_Dav posted:

No.

Geirskogul posted:

I disagree. Yes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

No.

Raven457 posted:

Whoa guys, let's just cool it down a bit.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
But they're so adorable. They make bikes look like :cthulhu:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

_Dav posted:

BINGO. 4 headers is so 'normal' looking that its boring.

:colbert:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Fixed a flat on a sidewalk near downtown Seattle :(

Of course the rim setup on a Stella made it easy to swap my spare on... but my spare was at home. I had to make my girlfriend bring it to me in the car. I'm sure I'll be buying dinner or something later.

Now to find my spare tube, and mount this worn-and-punctured tire as my spare...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Installed heated grip elements under my grips on my SV. Took four hours, used the power from the license plate light and a relay with an inline fuse so it doesn't gently caress my bike's electrical system if something goes wrong. I ended up mounting a tiny 3-way switch from Radio Shack on the top of my headlight bucket (drilled a hole for it) and you barely notice that anything has change aesthetically speaking.

And, oh yeah, having warm hands on the motorcycle now is incredible. Why didn't I do this sooner?