Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

szlevi posted:

:what: :what: :what:

And just why would you want to do such a thing...?

Did you read his question? He asked for a fix, he doesn't want it to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

IUG posted:

Did you read his question? He asked for a fix, he doesn't want it to do this.

Thanks - wrong quote; fixed.

My question was about Flashing Twelve's question:

quote:

Also, is it possible to make these three physical drives form one logical drive on Windows?

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

szlevi posted:

:what: :what: :what:

And just why would you want to do such a thing...?

EDIT: sorry, wrong quote; fixed.

So I wouldn't have to have half of my television shows on filled drive 3 and the other half on drive 2, though actually now that I think about it XBMC would likely index it properly anyway?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Flashing Twelve posted:

So I wouldn't have to have half of my television shows on filled drive 3 and the other half on drive 2, though actually now that I think about it XBMC would likely index it properly anyway?

Yes XBMC doesn't care how many drives your stuff is on.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Flashing Twelve posted:

There's a program called Drive Bender that can do that, however, I found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

I'd recommend using Windows 7's library features if you want to handle this for browsing outside of XBMC. I have 3 hard drives on my HTPC. On each drive I have a folder called "TV Shows" and one called "Movies". Each of those folders is set as a location for my "TV Shows" or "Movies" library. You can specify a default save location for each library. I set my default location for movies and TV shows to be different drives, so they will be segregated until the drives fill up. When saving new shows or movies, rather than specify the folder to save them to (e.g. D:\Movies\new movie), I specify the library (e.g. Movies\new movie). With this setup, all my shows and movies show up in the same place and are saved to the same place, regardless of what drive they actually reside on.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

szlevi posted:

For HTPC I think mine is one of the best options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I4RW8C/ref=sc_pgp__m_A294P4X9EWVXLJ_5?ie=UTF8&m=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&n=&s=&v=glance

You can even use it vertically, it's RF, it charges off the USB Y-cable that holds the receiver etc etc.

How is the range? A lot of the reviews say it is very short.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

silversum posted:

I have this problem on my htpc since I routed it through my receiver instead of directly to the tv. From googling all I've seen is that it's windows scanning for a monitor signal, so in my case if I turn off the tv before the receiver it'll detect no monitor and change things to 1024x . I haven't been able to figure out how to disable it though. I think I'll just lose the receiver and hook it up to a cheap 2 channel amp.

I sort of have this same problem with my new Zotac Zbox running XBMC, but I just have it hooked up directly to the TV with HDMI. I think if I turn the TV off and on it's fine, but if I change the input on the TV to the cable box and then go back to the computer, XBMC is still in "full screen" mode, but it's resized to what is probably 1024x768 with the Desktop visible behind it, and I have to take it out of full screen and back again for it to fill up the screen.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Glass of Milk posted:

Anyone know of a fix for MCE for when it comes out of sleep mode and the display resolution goes down to 1024x768? It seems to do this randomly- sometimes it's fine, other times it's hosed up.

The issue is that your PC is losing connection to the TV and dropping the EDID information, which tells it what resolution the monitor can support so windows is dropping it to a safe default.

I had this problem with my projector and no amount of software fuckery could get around it (that didn't require a manual button press), my only interaction free 100% working solution was this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

Best $100 I ever spent.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

evensevenone posted:

How is the range? A lot of the reviews say it is very short.

Brooklyn brownstone living room here, it's fine for me.

Make sure the receiver is not hidden behind your alu chassis though...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

szlevi posted:

Brooklyn brownstone living room here, it's fine for me.

Make sure the receiver is not hidden behind your alu chassis though...

I bought one of these as well based on a recommendation in this thread and I can't recommend it at all. The track pad isn't sensitive enough and I found it more fiddly than functional because you're thumb-typing rather than full-keyboard typing. Not to poo poo on szlevi's parade, I'm just chiming in that I ended up using the wireless keyboard/mouse that came with my Revo when I actually need to do keyboard/mouse input and keep them hidden when I don't, because the Rii ended up frustrating me.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Scratch2k posted:

The issue is that your PC is losing connection to the TV and dropping the EDID information, which tells it what resolution the monitor can support so windows is dropping it to a safe default.

I had this problem with my projector and no amount of software fuckery could get around it (that didn't require a manual button press), my only interaction free 100% working solution was this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

Best $100 I ever spent.

Try using the "Configure TV" wizard first: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/82332.aspx

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

BattleHork posted:

Try using the "Configure TV" wizard first: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/82332.aspx

Well goddammit, I just built my second HTPC for the main living area and despite a completely different set of hardware/tv/amp etc it is doing exactly the same thing. I don't really want to spend another $100 on another gefen device (as good as it is) so I'll give this solution a try and report results.

EDIT: I don't use MCE, I use XBMC so I'm not sure if that solution will work, I'll have to see if I can make this happen with MCE open and try this fix then see if it carries over when MCE is not running and XBMC is. Otherwise, after the many hours I've spent on this in the past I know I could easily spent another 10+ hours loving around and it will be cheaper (in my time) to just buy another HDMI Detective.

I didn't try the "Configure TV" suggestion but while I was doing some more research before ordering another HDMI Detective I stumbled upon this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12606463-post9.html

Gave it a try and turned on/off my AVR/TV a few times and so far so good, it seems to have fixed the loss of EDID info. A few of the posts I found say that they had problems with the PC losing the monitor/tv entirely and requiring a restart so i'm no convinced yet but it certainly is a step in the right direction and it didn't cost $100 (yet).

Scratch2k fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 25, 2012

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Okay, tentative build:

Case: Silverstone ML03B: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174
PSU: 400W Corsair or something?
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157261
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942
Video card: Radeon HD6550, onboard the CPU
RAM: 4GB of whatever DDR3, I think I have some lying around
DVD drive: something generic, they're all much of a much
Hard drives: two existing 7200RPM SATA drives totalling 1.5tb, a new 2TB drive.
TV Tuner: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13328

How does that all look? Anything I'm missing out? How important is RAM/CPU in HTPCs, because I'd like to cut down the price if possible and a 2.9ghz quadcore seems a bit excessive.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Peas and Rice posted:

I bought one of these as well based on a recommendation in this thread and I can't recommend it at all. The track pad isn't sensitive enough and I found it more fiddly than functional because you're thumb-typing rather than full-keyboard typing. Not to poo poo on szlevi's parade, I'm just chiming in that I ended up using the wireless keyboard/mouse that came with my Revo when I actually need to do keyboard/mouse input and keep them hidden when I don't, because the Rii ended up frustrating me.

It's personal preference, I guess - I cannot imagine keeping such a monster like your Revo next to me on the couch and that's just me, my wife would be worse...
Also I have regular-sized fingers (I'm 6'2"-6'3"), not those frankfurter-style thumbs. :)

Touchpad worked fine for me right out of the box - perhaps you've received a lemon or your mice settings were off in Windows...?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Flashing Twelve posted:

Okay, tentative build:

Case: Silverstone ML03B: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174
PSU: 400W Corsair or something?
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157261
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942
Video card: Radeon HD6550, onboard the CPU
RAM: 4GB of whatever DDR3, I think I have some lying around
DVD drive: something generic, they're all much of a much
Hard drives: two existing 7200RPM SATA drives totalling 1.5tb, a new 2TB drive.
TV Tuner: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13328

How does that all look? Anything I'm missing out? How important is RAM/CPU in HTPCs, because I'd like to cut down the price if possible and a 2.9ghz quadcore seems a bit excessive.

Get this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 (Antec Earthwatts 380D)

And that's more or less my current build. Just make sure you pick up some fans because the case comes with none.

As for the CPU it depends what you want to do. If you plan on doing light gaming, the Llano + onboard will be of good use. If not you can probably drop down to an A6 or something.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Hey, I don't have the resources (computers or cash) to build a HTPC but I want to use my laptop as a media center for watching movies/music on my desktop networked computer as well as netflix etc. They're both running windows 7 and networked fine. What programs (assuming XBMC?) should I use to set up and browse files? OP is from 2007 so maybe a new thread or editing is in order?

I don't have a remote and it would feel like overkill. I have the laptop next to my couch hooked up to my receiver and projector.

I have all my files on different drives. One drive is movies, one is music.. might even want to browse photos that are on another drive?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Just chiming in to say the silverstone ML03B case is amazing.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Get this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 (Antec Earthwatts 380D)

And that's more or less my current build. Just make sure you pick up some fans because the case comes with none.

As for the CPU it depends what you want to do. If you plan on doing light gaming, the Llano + onboard will be of good use. If not you can probably drop down to an A6 or something.

Thanks, sounds good. Gaming won't be a concern so I think I'll drop the CPU down a notch to save a few dollars.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Not an Anthem posted:

Hey, I don't have the resources (computers or cash) to build a HTPC but I want to use my laptop as a media center for watching movies/music on my desktop networked computer as well as netflix etc. They're both running windows 7 and networked fine. What programs (assuming XBMC?) should I use to set up and browse files? OP is from 2007 so maybe a new thread or editing is in order?

I don't have a remote and it would feel like overkill. I have the laptop next to my couch hooked up to my receiver and projector.

I have all my files on different drives. One drive is movies, one is music.. might even want to browse photos that are on another drive?

I may be missing what you're going for here, but if you just want to use your laptop to play or view stuff that is stored on the desktop, just do windows file sharing and make all those files available on the network. If you still want the pretty interface and what not, you could make the files available on the network, map them as network drives on the desktop and then just view them through WMC

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any good options for an HTPC setup with an analog TV? I've been doing some research, and it doesn't look like there are any good options on a tight budget for systems that will output to component audio/video. I am considering just getting a Wii or a Roku to watch Netflix/etc, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any better solutions here. I mainly would like to be able to use it to watch streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and network websites.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

oxsnard posted:

Just chiming in to say the silverstone ML03B case is amazing.

Yeah, if you can fit in there it's pretty nice. I was looking at it last year but eventually went with Lascala LC20B: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FJS44A/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details
This not only allowed me to put in more HDD but I was able to build an AM A8-3850-based system incl. decent PSU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000292DGI/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

BTW last night I received my lab-tested InfiniTV replacement from Ceton so I guess I know what I will be doing Saturday after my daughter went to sleep. :)
I'm really curious if there will be any difference...

szlevi fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 26, 2012

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Selavi posted:

Are there any good options for an HTPC setup with an analog TV? I've been doing some research, and it doesn't look like there are any good options on a tight budget for systems that will output to component audio/video. I am considering just getting a Wii or a Roku to watch Netflix/etc, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any better solutions here. I mainly would like to be able to use it to watch streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and network websites.

Any HTPC with a VGA card should work for you.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've installed the Shark007 codec pack on my W7 box and used my 360 as a Media Centre Extender. The codec pack performs some file header/container voodoo and not only lets MCE see MKV files, but lets your Xbox decode them.

Managed to play a 1080P MKV on my Xbox with 0% load on the W7 machine.

The only reason I don't do this now is because MCE is dog slow.

Was there anything else beyond stock MCE/W7 that you had to do for this to work (and installing the codecs, of course?) How does MCE know to start indexing those files?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Malderi posted:

Was there anything else beyond stock MCE/W7 that you had to do for this to work (and installing the codecs, of course?) How does MCE know to start indexing those files?

I've not got it set up at the moment, but that's all I remember having to do. The codec pack applies the registry hack to make WMC index MKVs, which will then be picked up in MCE.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've not got it set up at the moment, but that's all I remember having to do. The codec pack applies the registry hack to make WMC index MKVs, which will then be picked up in MCE.

Awesome, thanks, I'll try it out.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I'm going to be building a HTPC with an i3-2100 and I want to use XBMC Live, skipping Windows entirely.

I plan to playback MKV, and Bluray Discs from an internal BD Drive.

Will the i3 be enough to handle all this flawlessly or would I be better off running XBMC in Windows and using a DXVA card?

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Scratch2k posted:

I didn't try the "Configure TV" suggestion but while I was doing some more research before ordering another HDMI Detective I stumbled upon this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/12606463-post9.html

Gave it a try and turned on/off my AVR/TV a few times and so far so good, it seems to have fixed the loss of EDID info. A few of the posts I found say that they had problems with the PC losing the monitor/tv entirely and requiring a restart so i'm no convinced yet but it certainly is a step in the right direction and it didn't cost $100 (yet).

Sorry to quote myself but wanted to follow up and say that this solution did not work, it seemed to be OK for about 3-4 TV/AVR power cycles but last night I powered everything up and XBMC was sitting neatly in a window in the middle of the screen, ugh.

I'm going to order another HTML Detective, it's a known working fix and I don't want to get in to the cycle of hours and hours of failed software based attempts again.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

Okay, so I've done this, and it partially works. It shows up in WMC and plays just fine on my laptop. Through my 360 though, it sees it now, but when I play it I get no video. The screen is black, but the audio is going through okay. Any suggestions?

TGuard50
Oct 27, 2007
I don't have a dedicated htpc, but i recently bought a 25 foot HDMI cable to run from my desktop's video card to my new tv.

The video card is an ATI 6870, with 2 displayports and 2 DVIs. I'm already using the 2 DVI's for my dual monitor setup. Can I buy a regular hdmi to displayport adapter to get the TV to hook into my computer? Or will I need a special kind (powered/active)?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just wanted to pimp out my build because I built it from some of the suggestions here and in the SH/SC thread and it works like a charm:

Mobo: Asrock H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Mini ITX
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Case: SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B (comes with 300w PSU)

Total cost on the above is about $550, which is maybe on the high side for an HTPC but it's a lot more powerful than I figured it would be. I didn't add an optical drive because it only takes slim ones and I didn't really want to shell out the extra for something I would use to install Windows and basically never again, so I just left the case off and hooked up an old DVD drive I had laying around to do the initial install. The motherboard comes with a lovely wireless adapter which I chucked and used a cheapo USB adapter instead. Also doesn't need a video card with the onboard chip from the Sandy Bridge. So the expansion slot is empty right now, I may try to stick a cable card in there or something for live TV events. Large internal hard drive since I didn't really have a big drive with a lot of space available on any of my other computers in the house, and the case has room for a 3.5" drive -- so this is something you could cut back if you plan to stream across your LAN for the most part. But I do kind of like that I can run everything off this box and turn all my other computers off. The Samsung drive above is surprisingly quiet. Case also has room for a 2.5" drive if I want to expand into more space.

Having never worked with an HTPC before I wasn't sure how the above specs would perform, but it turned out awesome. Running under Windows 7, it can be downloading and processing stuff through Sickbeard/Couchpotato + SABnzdb + XBMC and playing high-def video at the same time without a hitch. It also can do streaming video from my other computers or over the web with no issues. I don't plan to use this for gaming or anything so it does everything I need and it never feels like it's bogging down or struggling. The only complaints I have are that the case fan is a little loud (although there's an Asrock utility to turn the speed down), and that the remote which came with it is a piece of poo poo, so I need to go buy a real remote of some sort. Although for now, iPhone with XBMC commander and a little cheap handheld keyboard/mouse combo wireless thing are doing the job just fine.

Anyway, thanks to this thread and the SH/SC guys for all the great info. I really had never even thought about building an HTPC until a few weeks ago when I finally got fed up with the limitations of the Boxee Box. The whole setup is amazing to me, especially with Sickbeard and Couchpotato ticking away in the background, stuff just shows up like magic. I may never leave my couch again.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TGuard50 posted:

I don't have a dedicated htpc, but i recently bought a 25 foot HDMI cable to run from my desktop's video card to my new tv.

The video card is an ATI 6870, with 2 displayports and 2 DVIs. I'm already using the 2 DVI's for my dual monitor setup. Can I buy a regular hdmi to displayport adapter to get the TV to hook into my computer? Or will I need a special kind (powered/active)?

You'll need an active adapter unless one of your monitors has a display port connection you can use.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Finally throwing away my Xbox1+XMBC, so looking to build my 'first' HTPC. Is there a 'go-to' CPU and Mobo for a rig that will play 1080p in XMBC and be downloading/processing in SABnzbd at the same time?

StarkRavingMad kindly posted his one above which does just that (Mobo: Asrock H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Mini ITX , CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core) but I was wondering if there's other options? Getting a bit over my head! Cheers.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Lusername posted:

Finally throwing away my Xbox1+XMBC, so looking to build my 'first' HTPC. Is there a 'go-to' CPU and Mobo for a rig that will play 1080p in XMBC and be downloading/processing in SABnzbd at the same time?

StarkRavingMad kindly posted his one above which does just that (Mobo: Asrock H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Mini ITX , CPU: Intel Core i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core) but I was wondering if there's other options? Getting a bit over my head! Cheers.

Honestly, the E350 apu works great with openelec. I set up switches on sabnzbd suite so that it does all the hardcore stuff while I'm in bed. If you really wanna do a lot of stuff at once I'd suggest getting a more robust processor

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Decided along with a new TV purchase to build a new HTPC. I went a little overpowered in case I decided to play a few games on it.

Shuttle SH67H3
Intel Core i5-2500k
16GB DDR3 1333
2TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium
Samsung bluray drive (harvested from old HTPC)

I haven't decided if the Intel HD 3000 graphics will suffice for the level of machine I am going for. Any sugestions on a video card with HDMI out midrange performance and can handle 24p video?

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Giblet posted:

Decided along with a new TV purchase to build a new HTPC. I went a little overpowered in case I decided to play a few games on it.

Shuttle SH67H3
Intel Core i5-2500k
16GB DDR3 1333
2TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium
Samsung bluray drive (harvested from old HTPC)

I haven't decided if the Intel HD 3000 graphics will suffice for the level of machine I am going for. Any sugestions on a video card with HDMI out midrange performance and can handle 24p video?

A little overpowered? For a HTPC that's complete overkill, I'm running XBMC on a E350 with 4GB RAM and it runs flawlessly.

If you want to play games a HD3000 will be woefully inadequate (but handles DXVA playback - 1080p - without a hitch) so you kind of have an overpowered HTPC but a horribly underpowered gaming rig. The worst of both worlds for too much money.

I'd add a decent mid-range GPU (HD6950 is good) for some gaming grunt without adding too much heat/noise if you really want to go down that path (but you'll have to ditch the shuttle case to fit it, this applies to pretty much any decent GPU, you'll have to make compromises to fit in that case).

Having said that, personally I think a better way to go if you want to play games on your couch is to buy an XBOX/PS3 and use cut down your costs on the HTPC to the bare essentials, a PS3 also gives you bluray/DVD playback so you could get away with no optical drive in your HTPC.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Scratch2k posted:

A little overpowered? For a HTPC that's complete overkill, I'm running XBMC on a E350 with 4GB RAM and it runs flawlessly.

If you want to play games a HD3000 will be woefully inadequate (but handles DXVA playback - 1080p - without a hitch) so you kind of have an overpowered HTPC but a horribly underpowered gaming rig. The worst of both worlds for too much money.

I'd add a decent mid-range GPU (HD6950 is good) for some gaming grunt without adding too much heat/noise if you really want to go down that path (but you'll have to ditch the shuttle case to fit it, this applies to pretty much any decent GPU, you'll have to make compromises to fit in that case).

Having said that, personally I think a better way to go if you want to play games on your couch is to buy an XBOX/PS3 and use cut down your costs on the HTPC to the bare essentials, a PS3 also gives you bluray/DVD playback so you could get away with no optical drive in your HTPC.

I already have a ps3 and a core i7 gaming rig. Just looking for something to have some fun with on the TV. I'll have to measure the length of a card that I can put in, but I'm sure there are plenty of options that will fit. I've installed new cards into much smaller cases.

I guess it's a "I had money to blow on something dumb" computer and less a purpose built htpc. I figure if I am spending thousands on the rest of setup I can throw an extra 200-300 at one of the items I get the most use out of. Torrent box/dvr/Internet browser/ect... Also Diablo 3 on a 64 inch should be fun.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

oxsnard posted:

Honestly, the E350 apu works great with openelec. I set up switches on sabnzbd suite so that it does all the hardcore stuff while I'm in bed. If you really wanna do a lot of stuff at once I'd suggest getting a more robust processor

Thanks for the advice. On second thought, having SABnzbd do the intense stuff overnight does seem reasonable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If I decided I needed another box (mostly just as a CableCard DVR really) but was too lazy to build one, some small nettop (like E350 or better) with a big rear end external drive would be fine right?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

japtor posted:

If I decided I needed another box (mostly just as a CableCard DVR really) but was too lazy to build one, some small nettop (like E350 or better) with a big rear end external drive would be fine right?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I have a question, mostly because I've been out of the PC building scene since the original Athalon. I've got a digital cable box and I want to be able to record on my HTPC from that. What card would I need? Also just upped the ram to 4 gigs recently and what a difference in play back.