Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Merchant of Death posted:

Those would be constructs, I remember them from the 80's

Construx actually. I used to love those as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CADPAT posted:

Construx actually. I used to love those as a kid.

I had a friend that had a ton of them. I liked them, but the beams had a tendency to get permanently bent if you stepped on them (even as a child). Also LEGO was just plain better. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lego was better, but construx was still really good. And you could make huge stuff out of it without your folks sinking a few hundred dollars into your lego collection.

Hmm... wonder what happened to my k'nex battlemech?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red posted:

What are these things called?

Flimsy, easily-broken garbage

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
What was the name of that one building toy that was all triangles that snapped together on the sides? Some pieces had raised parts that connecting rods could go into, or you could snap eyes on for faces.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zaks?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaks

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Forgive a link to a tripid site, but you could do some cool poo poo with Construx...
http://construxion.tripod.com/

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe I was a brat, but I was always a little bummed when people would buy me building toys that weren't legos. I had at least one set of every kind of building toy from the 90s, people would want to buy me something for the holidays or whatever, my parents would be like "he loves legos, maybe that?" and they would be like "oh if he loves legos then he'll LOVE [some toy that doesn't fit in with the piles of legos he already has]"

I mean, thanks for taking the time and spending the money, but don't reinvent the wheel, you know?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Maybe I was a brat, but I was always a little bummed when people would buy me building toys that weren't legos. I had at least one set of every kind of building toy from the 90s, people would want to buy me something for the holidays or whatever, my parents would be like "he loves legos, maybe that?" and they would be like "oh if he loves legos then he'll LOVE [some toy that doesn't fit in with the piles of legos he already has]"

I mean, thanks for taking the time and spending the money, but don't reinvent the wheel, you know?

Haha, same for here. All those toys were a distraction at best. I would always come back to Lego and always wished I had more bricks.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Just a reminder to check out your local megastore clearance aisles. One of my walmarts had the aqua theme sets with the underwater sub with the drill on it half off, $15 down from $30. Has like 265 pieces or so. They had about 25 of them. Are they ending that line or something?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ChesterJT posted:

Just a reminder to check out your local megastore clearance aisles. One of my walmarts had the aqua theme sets with the underwater sub with the drill on it half off, $15 down from $30. Has like 265 pieces or so. They had about 25 of them. Are they ending that line or something?

One of my Walmarts had bunch of signs saying that new sets are being released on Feb. 10th ("So go online and get your preorders at walmart.com!"), so I'm guessing they're clearing out space. Most of my local stores have finally been picked clean. I'm hoping they do another round of cuts at the one Walmart, though. The big Clone Wars tank is at $90 right now. Hopefully it will go lower and I can snatch it up then. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My walmart was picked clean, except for those loving wiimotes and ds cases. I decided to get another potc one and rgb one that were half off. And they STILL don't have series six.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

Fooley posted:

What was the name of that one building toy that was all triangles that snapped together on the sides? Some pieces had raised parts that connecting rods could go into, or you could snap eyes on for faces.

A bit unrelated. Remember those wooden circles with all the holes in it. About the size of an oreo. You would connect them with wooden rods. Loved those things! What were they called?

Lord Ryan fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 27, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Lord Ryan posted:

A bit unrelated. Remember those wooden circles with all the holes in it. About the size of an oreo. You would connect rods. Loved those things! What were they called?

Tinker toys, they also came in jumbo sizes that were the size of a dishplate with huge rods a few feet long

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Deep Sea Raider was the one I got. It was a great little build for $15. Lots of new pieces I didn't have before! Might head back to walmart and grab a couple more.

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005
Here are some everyday photos of Lego, including some of the ever popular "Stormtroopers doing normal stuff" shots:

http://legogenre.tumblr.com/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
My fiance just showed me this link, which is very relevant to the thread title:

http://youtu.be/ivtWQTjXCDs

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Elendil004 posted:

Forgive a link to a tripid site, but you could do some cool poo poo with Construx...
http://construxion.tripod.com/

This is actually really cool. Perfect for action figures.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if you guys saw it, for those looking. The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape is back instock on Lego's website

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Like so many others, I love the Power Armor Luthor set. But it doesn't have enough of a classic Lex vibe.
So I built him a hardsuit.
Pardon the bad cell phone pic, I am currently without a computer.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Realized most people don't realize how Japanese people do collectible minifigs so I took some pictures at our version of the LEGO Store; LEGO clickbrick

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I really want a lego vending machine in my apartment now

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Can you buy them on the shelf? And are they still the same price?

Whats bad is even at (according to Google's conversion) $4 I know I'd still be pumping money into them.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fooley posted:

Can you buy them on the shelf? And are they still the same price?

No, they are not available off the shelf. They just ship them to Takara TOMY and they stick them in bubbles and deal with distribution. The machines are in more places than just LEGO stores since those kind of machines are EVERYWHERE kids go. I bought most of my series 2 figs at an arcade while I was there playing music rhythm games.

I really like how it's random, but you know which 8 are possible to get. I'm not a fan of a boxful of figs people don't want because all the good ones have been felt up.

And yeah, the Yen is doing so well against the dollar. It makes me sad since I'm paid in dollars :cry:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Japanese vending/capsule machines would ruin the US. That doesn't mean that I still don't want them.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Does anyone have the Millennium Falcon 7965 Set? I have a coupon that gives me 30% off any kids toy or book from Barnes and Nobles so I might end up using it on that. Or I might get the excavator... or the republic frigate... or Robie House/Fallingwater... Any good recommendations on sets online or in store?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

InfinEight posted:

My fiance just showed me this link, which is very relevant to the thread title:

http://youtu.be/ivtWQTjXCDs

Oh man, I laughed pretty hard at "WHAT THE gently caress IS A NOSE?"

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I just found a lot of 500 minifigs for sale in my area. I thought to myself, "SCORE, I am going to get all of these!". Then I thought about it and realized that even if I lowballed at 1$ or 50 cents per fig, it's still over 250$ which is a ton of money to drop just on minifigs.

Now I get how prices for MOCs spiral out of control. It might be just a few hundred pieces, but it all adds up.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I saw that lot and am tempted to get it since there is a lot of older minifigs that I love, and just dump the rest on bricklink.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ordered Lex's Power Armor on Amazon.

UPS were being dicks and wouldn't drop off my package without my signature, despite me signing the stupid little slip. Third attempt happens, I go to their website and tell them to hold it at the distribution center.

Let me tell you, I really really really hate going to this UPS. I had to go there twice before to pick up my roommates laptop and it's just very unpleasant. It's in the stupidest part of town and it's a real hassle to get to.

So it takes me an hour to make the 10-mile trip, but I get there! And then I find out they just ignored my request and returned the package to Amazon.

So I go to Target, where they had a pile of Power Armor in stock the day before. Nope. All gone. So I go to the other Target. Nope.

The world just doesn't want me to have that sweet-rear end set.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Toys R Us finally got in a box of series 6. Picked up 7 packages blind and wound up with 2 Minotaurs, 2 Leprechauns, Skater Chick, Mechanic, and the Sleepyhead.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Sockser posted:

Ordered Lex's Power Armor on Amazon.

UPS were being dicks and wouldn't drop off my package without my signature, despite me signing the stupid little slip. Third attempt happens, I go to their website and tell them to hold it at the distribution center.

Let me tell you, I really really really hate going to this UPS. I had to go there twice before to pick up my roommates laptop and it's just very unpleasant. It's in the stupidest part of town and it's a real hassle to get to.

So it takes me an hour to make the 10-mile trip, but I get there! And then I find out they just ignored my request and returned the package to Amazon.

So I go to Target, where they had a pile of Power Armor in stock the day before. Nope. All gone. So I go to the other Target. Nope.

The world just doesn't want me to have that sweet-rear end set.

That sucks! Don't they have the thing now when you can set up a time to drop your packages off at your house when you are available? Is there a wal-mart or Kmart around you? I would check there. I know that Kmart doesn't have the new Lego toy layout set up because it's not due to be set until the beginning of February but they should have them because I know ours does.

Also took a trip to the next town over to visit a TJ Maxx and found a few sets marked down and some on clearance. Picked up a Prince of Persia 7572 Quest against Time set for 15.00 bucks. Not bad and I know I saw some sets at each retailer that are going on clearance. Sooner or later Kmart does percent off clearance prices so keep checking them every now and again.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Feeling up minifigs through the package like a perverted Helen Keller is what makes the collectables fun, this picture makes me sad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now you can play a lego slot machine.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now you can play a lego slot machine.

I will cheat like a bastard, do whatever I have to do, but I want that Galaxy Patrol minifig in series 7. Holy crap that is awesome.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
OK so today I picked up the Wilis Tower, Rockfella center, Brandenburg gate, white house and SRG museum for a total of around 85 EUR which was a bargain for Romanian prices.
I previously had the Burj Kalifa which I didn't rate at all (it was just 1x1 cylinders stacked, nothing interesting), but at these prices I couldn't resist.

My verdict is that the Architecture series sucks if you hate repetition. Seeing "x16" in the white house build was the rule rather than exception. The models look nice, but man are they boring to build.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Speaking of, and I have no idea how I missed this, but the Robie House features this new part. they've only needed one since the early 70s.

Also, I don't think it was posted in here, but two as-yet-unreleased bracket parts found their way into LDD recently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25678535@N06/6725896245/

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Adregan posted:

That sucks! Don't they have the thing now when you can set up a time to drop your packages off at your house when you are available?

They can't really do that; deliveries are based on a route, and the truck gets to your house when it gets to your house. (I'm at the very end of my truck's route, which means they generally show up between 5 and 7pm, for instance -- it's always later close to the holidays, and once they got here at 8:30.) Setting up individual delivery times would be a logistical nightmare. UPS My Choice lets you reschedule by date or electronically authorize dropoffs, but that's about as far as it goes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My apartment building doesn't have an intercom or anything, so they were actually 'attempting' to drop off packages while I was, in fact, available. But, no intercom means they're just gonna slap a slip on the door and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Made a trip out to the Orlando Lego store today. God could I spend thousands in there! They had all the new sets, I picked up the Fire Brigade. This is by far the biggest and most expensive set I've ever bought and I can't wait to break into it and start putting it together! Only sad thing is I'll probably never be able to complete the whole little town. They have the Pet Shop still which I might have to make another trip to pickup which I still can. While I was checking out the set, a lady, in her at least 60's commented that she was putting together that big rear end bridge and said how the corner grocer is selling for upwards of $400 online. AFOL knows no age limits which is pretty dam cool!