Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

The fact that Venom isn't already in is a crime.

I'm all right with Venom not being in it. I'd rather have Doc Ock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

kaujot posted:

I'm all right with Venom not being in it. I'd rather have Doc Ock.

If he played similar to Omega Red then gently caress yes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a rumor somewhere that Capcom wanted both Doc Ock and Silver Surfer in the game but couldn't because of time/money/gameplay constraints?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think Doc Ock is referred to in data on the disc and I remember the Silver Surfer thing being a bad photoshop.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Kuvo posted:

Wasn't there a rumor somewhere that Capcom wanted both Doc Ock and Silver Surfer in the game but couldn't because of time/money/gameplay constraints?

It was doc ock and frank west (in vanilla)

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Jmcrofts posted:

It was doc ock and frank west (in vanilla)

One of Marvel's guys mentioned in an interview that Doc Ock was almost in but they couldn't make him work Gameplay wise so he was dropped.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My team is currently Nova/Captain America/Morrigan. While Captain America I've just added recently and am messing around with, I'm actually halfway decent with both Nova and Morrigan and will probably keep them on my team for as long as I can. I don't know who would be good to help them play well together, but that's for later.

Right now, my biggest problem with getting the most out of my team is: fly cancelling

I just can't do it. I either accidentally TAC, drop the combo completely, or end up just hovering there in the air as the harmlessly enemy techs out. Some people seem to be able to do it perfectly 100/100 but I can barely even do it once or twice in a combo.

I really like both Nova and Morrigan, but without fly cancelling, they're really gimped. Morrigan especially benefits a LOT from someone with strong fly cancelling skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESK-WhLEtxs

Check out Omniscythe's Morrigan here, if I could combo like that/fly cancel that reliably without messing it up, it would make my team infinitely better, not to mention all the fun things Nova could do.

UMVC3 is the first fighting game I've ever cared enough to go out and buy a stick for, so I'm relatively new to these concepts and movements. Is there any trick to doing it? Is there a video tutorial I could watch? I find that just seeing how people's hands move when they're doing this kind of stuff really helps me with the timing but I still am having a hell of a time figuring it out.

What should I do?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My team is currently Nova/Captain America/Morrigan. While Captain America I've just added recently and am messing around with, I'm actually halfway decent with both Nova and Morrigan and will probably keep them on my team for as long as I can. I don't know who would be good to help them play well together, but that's for later.

Right now, my biggest problem with getting the most out of my team is: fly cancelling

I just can't do it. I either accidentally TAC, drop the combo completely, or end up just hovering there in the air as the harmlessly enemy techs out. Some people seem to be able to do it perfectly 100/100 but I can barely even do it once or twice in a combo.

I really like both Nova and Morrigan, but without fly cancelling, they're really gimped. Morrigan especially benefits a LOT from someone with strong fly cancelling skills:

Check out Omniscythe's Morrigan here, if I could combo like that/fly cancel that reliably without messing it up, it would make my team infinitely better, not to mention all the fun things Nova could do.

UMVC3 is the first fighting game I've ever cared enough to go out and buy a stick for, so I'm relatively new to these concepts and movements. Is there any trick to doing it? Is there a video tutorial I could watch? I find that just seeing how people's hands move when they're doing this kind of stuff really helps me with the timing but I still am having a hell of a time figuring it out.

What should I do?

Hi!

Do you know the difference between a cancel and a link? They even exist in the super fast game of Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Think back to SF4 with me for a second, though.

To link something like lp, lp, lk together, you have to time it precisely and slowly so that the previous move ends before the next one starts.

However, if you do something like cr. Mk XX Hadoken, you input the hadoken right away, CANCELLING the kick into it.

Flight cancels are, well, cancels.

So when you're going for something like j.H xx Fly, j. H with Nova, make sure you're doing the j. H xx Fly as fast as you would be doing something like cr. MK xx Hadoken.

Fly cancels only seem weird because there's no MOVE, no FIREBALL, you're cancelling into. You just go on blind faith. Cancel into that fly motion right away, pause a brief second, then do that second j. H.

j. H xx Fly, j.H. Note the difference between the "xx" notation and the comma notation.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Sex Vicar posted:

One of Marvel's guys mentioned in an interview that Doc Ock was almost in but they couldn't make him work Gameplay wise so he was dropped.

Just like Phoenix Wright!

Whenever Capcom says "We can't make this work", it means "Saving it for the next version of the game."
See: Frank West's RAM issues and Spectator Mode.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What should I do?

The most common mistake I make is hitting S too early (at downback instead of back), which gets you a TAC. Make sure you do the full motion and other than that it's just about practicing the timing till you get it down.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Learning to do fly/unfly combos:

You must practice doing the qcb + S motion fluidly and correctly. If you are getting a TAC it is because you are hitting S too early (in which case I believe you get a down exchange) or because you hit S too late (in which case you will get a side exchange). Hitting S too late means that you pressed S after the window for inputting the move had passed. You may have done the motion correctly and even still be holding back, but you're too late and you'll get a side exchange.

Once you have the motion down you need to think about timing. After a character enters fly there is a set amount of time during which they cannot act. This amount of time is different for every character. You need to learn how long this time is for each of your characters so that you can link moves after flying. Fortunately, I believe Nova and Morrigan have rather short delays before they can act after entering flight.

In contrast to fly, a character is free to act the very instant they unfly.

When you're canceling moves with flight take care to not cancel them too early. Some moves can be canceled before they connect.

If you're trying to learn the Nova j.H loop it helps to know that during the superjump after the launcher (actually during any jump or superjump) there are 4 frames of pre-jump. During pre-jump a character is on the ground, cannot block low, and is about to jump. Any normal you input during pre-jump will come out as soon as possible once the jump has begun. If you get used to inputting the first j.H during the pre-jump frames you will always get it at the correct height.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lord Chumley posted:

Just like Phoenix Wright!

Whenever Capcom says "We can't make this work", it means "Saving it for the next version of the game."
See: Frank West's RAM issues and Spectator Mode.

I thought Human Torch was the subject of the "RAM issues" quotes?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So was Frank west, because his moves would involve throwing objects like zombies, and that was labeled a problem.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

404GoonNotFound posted:

My mistake. Human Torch was "RAM issues" and Frank was "Too much online lag" or something.

http://www.damnlag.com/frank-west-practically-confirmed-as-dlc-for-marvel-vs-capcom-3/

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxoMPx2NMw#!&t=6810s

Rare footage of Phoenix Wright winning.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What should I do?

Hey, lovely player here. I just recently landed a fly/unfly training mode combo with Nova, and the problem I ran into was that I used Rocket Punch H immediately after activating fly, every single time. That, and the TAC I think come from hitting buttons too early in the motion. Take enough time to learn it piece by piece, I had to learn how to fly instead of TAC, then I had to learn to kick instead of Rocket Punch, then I had to learn to j.H and then unfly without TACing, etc. You can't do the fly/unfly combos super quick, gotta press poo poo at JUST the right time.

edit: Nova junk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i53-BvmLc

I like seeing hands too, maybe some videos where it shows the sticks and the action at the same time? That seems like it would be helpful.

Hawaiian Shirt fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 28, 2012

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

TheTofuShop posted:

The F+H is able to be jump canceled and followed up with j.L (or any air normal really), which is what you need to do to keep your pressure up, and deal with pushblocking a little better. I'd actually rather use Doom with Rocks or Plasma Beam for IF though, since those assists should help IF cover the horizontal space a bit better. Try to call your assist as you get in, if the assist hits you cant be pushblocked and you can jump cancel the F+H into a j.L or j.H to keep up pressure or force your opponent to block high. If you can get them to constantly block high, then you can start cancelling into QCB+L rekka to get a low mixup instead of jump cancelling the F+H.

No idea on if that string doesn't work on some characters, but with Arthur/Joe/Firebrand's smaller size, it wouldn't surprise me if the string was a bit tighter.

Wanted to follow up on this from last page. First thanks for the advice! I went back to training mode and tested a few things. The c.H in that combo string will wiff on smaller characters unless they're in the corner, but the combo works by just dropping either the H or c.H and chaining it to f.H (smaller characters still tend not to get hit by the typical followup QCB L QCF L QCF H, I should try and find a more universal rekka followup). Thanks for the tip with the jump canceling too, feels way better moving around now.

I had Doom with Missles to help cover IF's weak air game, but I tried Plasma Beam instead and I think the whole team works better for it. Its much easier for me to combo off of a plasma beam for Wolverine and the amount of screen it covers lets IF wavedash or jump to recover much better. Also much harder to punish the assist. I'm bad at keeping assists safe and my Doom usually comes in with 50% health. Still trying to figure out how to convert beam hits into a combo for IF though. Grounded launcher is annoying.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Welp, I just figured out how to do the Clockwork loop with Doom so now he has officially replaced Vergil. Plasma Beam is so much more useful than Rapid Slash I can't even believe it. Doom also uses a lot less meter than Vergil and he builds his own pretty well with the Clock loop so there's plenty of it left if/when Strider comes out. I can do Orbs or L3XF Ragnarok as soon as I open someone up. This is so awesome and I wish it didn't take me this long to learn Doom combos.

AND best of all I get to play Strider and Doom again!

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 28, 2012

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
With Bad Boxart Mega Man making an appearance in SFxT Capcom needs to get on the horn with Raul Julia's estate so we can have SF: The Movie Bison as DLC.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

TwoPair posted:

In case it hasn't been posted, you can check out what DLC characters Japanese players want to see. And apparently, they hate Mega Man too! They also know a lot of obscure Marvel characters...
My favorite part of this is how much Japan appreciates the Marvel book "Runaways."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

cams posted:

My favorite part of this is how much Japan appreciates the Marvel book "Runaways."

Well it volume 1 WAS released entirely in manga-sized paperbacks, IIRC.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Capcom on more DLC: "unless we planned for it beforehand it's impossible to add more".

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/27/cap...-wasnt-planned/

:I

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

They probably don't believe they can squeeze more revenue from UMvC3 (which was very low to begin with), so it's all hands on SFxT from now on.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Double Bill posted:

They probably don't believe they can squeeze more revenue from UMvC3 (which was very low to begin with), so it's all hands on SFxT from now on.

What's the consensus on Strekken anyway? All I know about is my local scene and most people I've talked to are incredibly non-plussed about the game so if I was to hazard a guess I'd imagine Strekken is going to do worse than MVC3.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

duffath posted:

Strekken

Is this seriously what some people are calling it?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Liku posted:

I say we call it MML3.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 28, 2012

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Liku posted:

Don't see anything wrong with that. Takes less effort to say than SFXT or the complete name.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Cuchulain posted:

I say we call it MML3.

This is perfect.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

duffath posted:

What's the consensus on Strekken anyway? All I know about is my local scene and most people I've talked to are incredibly non-plussed about the game so if I was to hazard a guess I'd imagine Strekken is going to do worse than MVC3.

It would be really nice if it did worse, given how pretty much every design decision they've made so far has been awful, but frankly I don't think they're in danger of it bombing. It's a new, full-fledged Capcom fighter featuring a huge roster of very recognizable fighting game characters, and that alone will sell a healthy chunk of copies.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

It would be really nice if it did worse, given how pretty much every design decision they've made so far has been awful, but frankly I don't think they're in danger of it bombing. It's a new, full-fledged Capcom fighter featuring a huge roster of very recognizable fighting game characters, and that alone will sell a healthy chunk of copies.

It will also probably review really well.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AXE COP posted:

Capcom on more DLC: "unless we planned for it beforehand it's impossible to add more".

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/27/cap...-wasnt-planned/

:I

So how does that explain AE, AE2012 and the second wave of costumes?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Well they also said that spectator mode was impossible so I've stopped taking Capcom's words on what they can or cannot put into their own games at this point.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
It's definitely not impossible for them to add more DLC. It's basically just "we don't want to, get off our backs."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't see why they even respond with poo poo like that. They're under no obligation to respond to barrages of "where is the megaman DLC capcom/obama? where is it?", and blatantly lying does nothing except make everyone hate them a little bit more as a company.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Why not add that DLC everyone's been asking for, anyway? Does Capcom not like money all of a sudden?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Question, what knowledge do people here have about the development process of MVC3 that allows them to call Capcom liars so easily?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Krad posted:

Why not add that DLC everyone's been asking for, anyway? Does Capcom not like money all of a sudden?

Apparently, they only like money if Sony is giving it to them to hamstring their own games sales.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Van Ishikawa posted:

I had Doom with Missles to help cover IF's weak air game, but I tried Plasma Beam instead and I think the whole team works better for it. Its much easier for me to combo off of a plasma beam for Wolverine and the amount of screen it covers lets IF wavedash or jump to recover much better. Also much harder to punish the assist. I'm bad at keeping assists safe and my Doom usually comes in with 50% health. Still trying to figure out how to convert beam hits into a combo for IF though. Grounded launcher is annoying.

Off of a beam hit you can do ground normals into a rekka string ending in QCF+H, then wavedash forward and otg wit QCB+M xx QCB+L xx QCF+H xx QCF+PP, as long as you have the wallbounce still, you can even combo after Iron Rage by catching them with cr.H B+H xx DP+PP for more damage. It's not the most efficient string, it will work in the corner but at some midscreen distances it is harder to connect with.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

cams posted:

Question, what knowledge do people here have about the development process of MVC3 that allows them to call Capcom liars so easily?

The cold hard proof would be stuff like telling us that Spectator Mode is literally impossible to do in this game and then putting it in the next version of the game. Same thing with them saying that Frank West was impossible to implement because of his fighting style and then him being in the next version of the game. They do this stuff all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Quick question: When dormmamu does his purple bullet projectile think (I think its his forward M) and he teleports, which way do I block? I can jump to avoid but it sometimes I dont have that option.

• Locked thread