Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

ease posted:

I'm having issues with my digitizer, and I'll be getting a new evo3d through TEP.

About 5 days ago, my Evo 3D started having digitizer issues as well at the bottom of the screen, right where any submit buttons, phone answering buttons, and the keyboard spacebar are. It virtually rendered my phone unusable for the majority of tasks. It was HBoot 1.5, HTC-unlocked, with CM7 installed. I downgraded to Senseless ROM, and tried a few others, to no avail. I unrooted and went back to Stock, and still had the same issue - it was definitely a digitizer hardware problem.

I took the phone to Sprint and they charged me $35 for a replacement phone (I don't have TEP and they didn't have the part in stock). Things are fine with my replacement now.

I'm going to leave this phone locked since I can't find any ROMs that make me happy and don't require me to make feature compromises. This phone has been a real letdown for me for various reasons, but I can't wait to move to either a Galaxy Nexus or a Lumina 900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Jeratain posted:

I took the phone to Sprint and they charged me $35 for a replacement phone (I don't have TEP and they didn't have the part in stock).
Wow, that's cheap. Did you at least have the ESRP insurance, rather than TEP?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

He's a frickin dumbass.

If I may be so bold, I'd bet he knew better. He just wanted to try and get a phone sale out of him.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Jeratain posted:

:words:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm sort of hating HTC lately, and really want to try something different.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

If I may be so bold, I'd bet he knew better. He just wanted to try and get a phone sale out of him.

Haha no, the dude was a dumb rear end. We get paid the same and actually sometimes better if the customer brings their own equipment. For certain it pays more than an iPhone. If someone comes in wanting to activate a new plan on sprint with their own phone, there is literally no reason for me to try and sell them something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Huh, I would have figured the commission would work out better for you. But it does make sense, Sprint's making pure profit, no subsidy to eat. Good to know.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

td4guy posted:

Wow, that's cheap. Did you at least have the ESRP insurance, rather than TEP?

Wait why did he have to pay anything? It was still under manufacturer's warranty and that sounds like a problem with the device.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Wait why did he have to pay anything? It was still under manufacturer's warranty and that sounds like a problem with the device.

Sprint has always just ate the cost when they did work under the manufacturers warranty. They have decided to no longer to eat that full cost and you can now either contact the manufacturer or pay sprint.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The problem with a warranty is its with the manufacturer, you want it fixed under the warranty at no charge go to the manufacturer. ESRP exists to cover out of warranty devices, minor issues and to make warranty issues a lot quicker than they would be if you went through HTC, Motorola or whatever. With that sprint needs to do something to offset the cost, either per month or per incident.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

PTrexitus posted:

The problem with a warranty is its with the manufacturer, you want it fixed under the warranty at no charge go to the manufacturer. ESRP exists to cover out of warranty devices, minor issues and to make warranty issues a lot quicker than they would be if you went through HTC, Motorola or whatever. With that sprint needs to do something to offset the cost, either per month or per incident.

I manage mobile telecom for my work which uses AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Unless it's for an iPhone, the carriers always handle warranty replacements themselves. I don't know if Sprint is different, or if it's because they're business accounts, but I've never had to deal with manufacturers besides Apple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I manage mobile telecom for my work which uses AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Unless it's for an iPhone, the carriers always handle warranty replacements themselves. I don't know if Sprint is different, or if it's because they're business accounts, but I've never had to deal with manufacturers besides Apple.

We love business customers more than normal customers.

And yeah, Sprint repair centers do warranty work, but if you don't have any type of TEP it'll cost $35 because we then have to file the warranty work. A warranty is through a manufacturer like HTC, Sprint offers a quicker repair/swap as a convenience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Verizon made changes to their certified like new program last year that basically made it better to deal directly with the manufacturer in most cases.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/31/verizon-changes-certified-like-new-replacement-program-phone-protection-plans-now-a-must/

You simply can't get an in store swap anymore unless you are within the 14 day exchange period. The only free CLNR option now is 5 day shipping and they can decide to charge you $299 if there's the tiniest of blemish on the phone. You can get overnight CLNR for $12.99.

I'd gladly pay $35 to have the option to just walk in a store to get a refurb and be on my way. As it stands right now, I basically have to ensure I have a backup phone to fall back on even if I have a legit warranty claim.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

We love business customers more than normal customers.

And yeah, Sprint repair centers do warranty work, but if you don't have any type of TEP it'll cost $35 because we then have to file the warranty work. A warranty is through a manufacturer like HTC, Sprint offers a quicker repair/swap as a convenience.

Makes sense. Hell, I don't go to stores or service centers. I call, get a replacement shipped to me, and then send the bad device back. Yay work!

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Makes sense. Hell, I don't go to stores or service centers. I call, get a replacement shipped to me, and then send the bad device back. Yay work!

That was the general M/O for business customers and some IL customers until late last year. I did tons of exchanges per day. Still the whole process was just as duckman said a convenience for people with phone still in warranty.

Side note, duckman did the Brooklyn "incident" make any waves at your location?

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 26, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ooh, ooh, what Brooklyn "incident"?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Employee Is Stabbed to Death at a Cellphone Store in Brooklyn

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

It's actually a Wireless Lifestyle store :ssh:

Not that that means anything really but v:shobon:v

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PTrexitus posted:

Side note, duckman did the Brooklyn "incident" make any waves at your location?

Christ that's crazy, haven't heard that one at all. Either way, letsgoflyers has met me and can back me when when I say that I a pretty badass mofo that could kick that guys rear end. Right.... :/

Oh btw, sprints getting a new lovely tablet. At least this ones priced better:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/1/25/2735046/zte-optik-7-inch-android-tablet-tipped-for-sprint-99-99-on-contract

Yeah, its ZTE ....

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 26, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alman posted:

It's actually a Wireless Lifestyle store :ssh:

Not that that means anything really but v:shobon:v

It's also in Flatbush, which last I heard was not exactly the best place to be manning a store full of desirable electronics packaged for sale.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

The Entire Universe posted:

It's also in Flatbush, which last I heard was not exactly the best place to be manning a store full of desirable electronics packaged for sale.

Yeah, Flatbush is kind of a lovely neighborhood.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Christ that's crazy, haven't heard that one at all. Either way, letsgoflyers has met me and can back me when when I say that I a pretty badass mofo that could kick that guys rear end. Right.... :/

You're about as intimidating as a 14 year old girl.

And holy poo poo that's a hosed up story.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh btw, sprints getting a new lovely tablet. At least this ones priced better:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/1/25/2735046/zte-optik-7-inch-android-tablet-tipped-for-sprint-99-99-on-contract

Yeah, its ZTE ....

Seriously, no one try to gently caress with this guy. He's one badass motherfucker alright. :ughh:

You know, for $99 on contract the specs aren't bad. 1.2GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage, Honeycomb and possibly ICS. I don't know much about ZTE products though so it might be about as useful as a doorstop.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Seriously, no one try to gently caress with this guy. He's one badass motherfucker alright. :ughh:

You know, for $99 on contract the specs aren't bad. 1.2GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage, Honeycomb and possibly ICS. I don't know much about ZTE products though so it might be about as useful as a doorstop.

The ZTE blade was pretty great as far as I remember, so this could be decent. And the price is definitely good.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Sprint people (and principally you, Duckman), can I swap the contract date on a line with another date on a different line under the same family plan?

It goes like this: Wife has Evo 4g, contract is up June 2012. I have Evo 3D, contact is up July 2013. My work pays for an ATT phone, so I am missing out on a benefit that could save me ~45 a month if I ended a line with Sprint. Could I swap the contract dates on the Evo line with the Evo 3D line, and then cancel my phone number in the family plan while my wife counts down the clock on my contract?

I would just pull the get-out-of-ETF-free card with the change in family plan discount T&Es, but that could be financially onerous on the other 3 people in my family plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

Sprint people (and principally you, Duckman), can I swap the contract date on a line with another date on a different line under the same family plan?

It goes like this: Wife has Evo 4g, contract is up June 2012. I have Evo 3D, contact is up July 2013. My work pays for an ATT phone, so I am missing out on a benefit that could save me ~45 a month if I ended a line with Sprint. Could I swap the contract dates on the Evo line with the Evo 3D line, and then cancel my phone number in the family plan while my wife counts down the clock on my contract?

I would just pull the get-out-of-ETF-free card with the change in family plan discount T&Es, but that could be financially onerous on the other 3 people in my family plan.

You can trade upgrades, but not ETFs. ETFs are tied to each specific line and number with that, reason being that people would heavily abuse it otherwise. So unfortunately that's a no go.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Seemed ripe for abuse as I started typing the post, but thanks for the quick response! What if I were to TOL 3 of my 5 family lines into their own plan divorced from me and my wife, and then I invoked the change in T&C to kill my wife and I's lines? I imagine there would be resistance from Sprint, but I hear it is a legit change to the T&C, and hence a reason to get out ETF free.

I guess I would have to setup an ATT family plan first, and then arrange a porting of the numbers, which would kill the lines on Sprint... which would mean I had to retroactively fight for a refund... and if I fight for the discharge of ETF then I can't port my numbers... :negative

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

letsgoflyers81 posted:

What does $99 "on contract" mean, so current sprint customers could pick it up for 99 dollars or do you have to renew your contract? Also, do you need a special tablet contract or can someone with a Sero account get it?

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

Seemed ripe for abuse as I started typing the post, but thanks for the quick response! What if I were to TOL 3 of my 5 family lines into their own plan divorced from me and my wife, and then I invoked the change in T&C to kill my wife and I's lines? I imagine there would be resistance from Sprint, but I hear it is a legit change to the T&C, and hence a reason to get out ETF free.

I guess I would have to setup an ATT family plan first, and then arrange a porting of the numbers, which would kill the lines on Sprint... which would mean I had to retroactively fight for a refund... and if I fight for the discharge of ETF then I can't port my numbers... :negative

Referencing your previous comment of a contract move. I have on very, very rare cases moved a contract to another line to allow a cancellation. It again is very rare and only on a case by case situation I don't think it would fly for you.

Referencing the TOL, some clarification would be needed. A TOL generally means you are wanting to move 3 lines to another account, as in different account number. A plan change by it's self wouldn't move them from the account. To get out of your ETFs if you really need to. Wait until the Share plan second line changes go into effect then speak with account service you may be able to get out of the contracts. My best advice for you on this is arrange the waiver of the ETF before hand, have it notated and go from there. Don't retroactively try to get the ETF waived if you can help it as it'll take a while will be much harder but not impossible.

@duckman the only reason I mentioned the store stabbing is because it made the internal sprint news pages. I had no idea until it was brought to my attention on those.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

dundun posted:

What does $99 "on contract" mean, so current sprint customers could pick it up for 99 dollars or do you have to renew your contract? Also, do you need a special tablet contract or can someone with a Sero account get it?

I think the tablet contract is that 99 dollars and then like 15 dollars a month for a gig of data and upwards from there. Not totally sure though.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

PTrexitus posted:

@duckman the only reason I mentioned the store stabbing is because it made the internal sprint news pages. I had no idea until it was brought to my attention on those.

You happen to work at HQ?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

atomicvocabulary posted:

I think the tablet contract is that 99 dollars and then like 15 dollars a month for a gig of data and upwards from there. Not totally sure though.

It works just like a cell phone. The device has a retail price, for the sake of argument I'm going to say $400. You only pay $99 but you are required to keep an active line of service, in this case a data-only plan, for two years. Cancel before then and you pay an ETF.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

This post gives me a headache since I worked all day. All I will say is that it sounds possible and worst case would protect the lines you want to keep, but retentions could notice and not want to do it. If you want to try it try it.

And fyi tablet plans are in the OP, so I am hurt that people are asking about the plan rates. But here they are :)

$19.99: 1gb
$35: 3gb
$50: 5 gb

I could be off by a gig on the $50 plan. Note that sprint overages are terribly archaic and go by the MB and not by the GB like verizon and ATT, which is the main reason the plans suck. It boggles my mind why sprint won't fix that.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Alman posted:

You happen to work at HQ?

I do not. I'm a Premier care SME/TC in a call center

PTrexitus fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 27, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sometimes this thread makes me want to post an A/T thread about where I work, but then I remember some poo poo and decide not to tell anyone what I do. Y'all get treated so nicely :)

Who I work for sure isn't Sprint, though. Not even in the ballpark, unless your definition of ballparks is something out of an Escher nightmare. Anyway, regarding phones, I have a bit of a question:

Have there been any internal rumblings regarding an impending ICS update push to the Evo 3D? This is a longshot since I don't think any Sprint employees in this thread work in that part of the company, but who knows, maybe someone'll pop out and say it's en route for a push next week. There's bound to be training covering support with the new features, right?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The only official news is Q1 2012, according to a leaked roadmap from a month ago. It's a pretty safe bet that the 3D will be the first or second Sprint phone to get ics - depending on wtf is going on with the Nexus S.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Sometimes this thread makes me want to post an A/T thread about where I work, but then I remember some poo poo and decide not to tell anyone what I do. Y'all get treated so nicely :)

Who I work for sure isn't Sprint, though. Not even in the ballpark, unless your definition of ballparks is something out of an Escher nightmare. Anyway, regarding phones, I have a bit of a question:

Have there been any internal rumblings regarding an impending ICS update push to the Evo 3D? This is a longshot since I don't think any Sprint employees in this thread work in that part of the company, but who knows, maybe someone'll pop out and say it's en route for a push next week. There's bound to be training covering support with the new features, right?

They never send out trainings beforehand, its just "software update coming" about 1 week before it launches. There are some great ICS roms out anyway, so you can just flash it now.

And sometimes I get treated nicely, sometimes I don't.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

They never send out trainings beforehand, its just "software update coming" about 1 week before it launches. There are some great ICS roms out anyway, so you can just flash it now.

And sometimes I get treated nicely, sometimes I don't.

I cant speak to your experience but the ics training was sent out this week for us. In general we get up trainings on all major os and device launches beforehand

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm going to be so pissed if when the Evo 3D gets ICS before the Epic Touch. I haven't heard a single word about it. Yes, I know, it's Samsung and it's what I expected.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PTrexitus posted:

I cant speak to your experience but the ics training was sent out this week for us. In general we get up trainings on all major os and device launches beforehand

Hopefully this means Nexus S 4G will get ICS soon as well as the GNex dropping on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm going to be so pissed if when the Evo 3D gets ICS before the Epic Touch. I haven't heard a single word about it. Yes, I know, it's Samsung and it's what I expected.
I knew what I was getting into when I got the ET. After using my friend's 3D, I'm happy with my decision, even if I get ICS after he does. :colbert:

But seriously Samsung, hurry the gently caress up please.