Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Washed it and went to pick up a cam position sensor for it that I ordered the other day. Turns out it was just the trigger wheel and the sensor is NLA. So they stopped making the part that fails :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Got timing set on the GTI and put the new belt on. Whoever designed the motor mount on the transverse 2.0T's needs to be dragged out back and shot. Christ.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Put on a new exhaust tip. The car looked stupid with the exhaust ending 30cm behind the bumper. I think that's the first original Volvo part i bought...

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Got most of my red MR2 buttoned back up, fired it up.

I did figure out that starting a car with no exhaust and a nonworking o2 sensor in a 10x20 storage unit will cause you to lose hearing for a few minutes. Goddamn a backfire is loud.

I need an oxygen sensor.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

tonedef131 posted:

Hit some black ice on I94 just outside of Detroit and within a matter of seconds destroyed the thing I loved more than anything else I've ever owned and almost died twice. After getting out of the car a lady slid into my car and almost crushed me between the giant concrete barrier and my car. I'll be pining for this car for the rest of my life, guess it was just too perfect to last.

She was a good car, I'm sorry for your loss. :( Good thing you weren't injured. Black ice is a bitch.

Johnny Mash
May 21, 2007
I hope to see you soon in La La Land
White ice is a bitch too when it is tennis ball sized.

Just had mine written off with hail damage.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

New supercharger heat exchanger and I/C pump for the E55. A bit of difference.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
gently caress the spark plug locations in the GM 54o V6. Did 3 of them. Then, it started snowing. Started removing NPS. Gave up and came inside after re-covering the beasty.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Two weeks and almost $1600 later the RX8 is out of the shop with a new motor.

Runs better than ever but I am just done with this car.

Thinking about trading it in on a econo car (RIO or SOUL) or keep it for another year, Filling it up at the gas pump and lack of utility is just a major pain in the rear end.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

evilnissan posted:

Thinking about trading it in on a econo car (RIO or SOUL) or keep it for another year, Filling it up at the gas pump and lack of utility is just a major pain in the rear end.

Man you're going to be disappointed when you find out that the Rio and Soul both use gas, too :tipshat:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

MrSaturn posted:

Man you're going to be disappointed when you find out that the Rio and Soul both use gas, too :tipshat:

Yes but my $60-$70 a week fuel bill would just about be cut in half if I picked up a boring econo car....

Fake edit: IE browser crashes everytime I try to edit a post. Awesome.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

evilnissan posted:

Yes but my $60-$70 a week fuel bill would just about be cut in half if I picked up a boring econo car....

Fake edit: IE browser crashes everytime I try to edit a post. Awesome.

Yeah, but then you have to drive a boring econo car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I drove a Soul not too long ago and it was pretty fun for a econo car with an auto. Had way more power than I expected.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Lightbulb Out posted:

My old Honda CB900C will make up for driving a boring car.

Billy Tully posted:

I drove a Soul not too long ago and it was pretty fun for a econo car with an auto. Had way more power than I expected.

My dad has been out of town and I have been driving his 2.0L 4speed+overdrive Soul+ for a few days while my car was in the shop and its pretty zippy little car with lots of space and handles nice for daily driving use.

It's also nice not having to take the spare tire out of the trunk everytime I have to put something in it thats bigger than a egg carton.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 25, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

evilnissan posted:

TEN SPEED?!?!? oh please oh please oh please...

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

TEN SPEED?!?!? oh please oh please oh please...

gently caress yea, hi-low range on a street bike for life!

Got to get a new set of forks or the orginals re-chromed this spring.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

More like what did my ride do to me today

the alternator light is lit if your lovely cellphone photo interpreting skills aren't up to par

The original belt lasted 12 years. The new lovely Duralast belt? 12 months. :colbert: Admittedly it may have had some coolant splashed on it at one point.

And on this car, the serpentine belt also runs the water pump. Just moved to a new city and don't know anybody either, looks like I get to take the bus to AutoZone tomorrow, or maybe walk, it's only 2 miles. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you are in Boise I can always let you borrow the garage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

evilnissan posted:

My dad has been out of town and I have been driving his 2.0L 4speed+overdrive Soul+ for a few days while my car was in the shop and its pretty zippy little car with lots of space and handles nice for daily driving use.

It's also nice not having to take the spare tire out of the trunk everytime I have to put something in it thats bigger than a egg carton.

A Kia Soul has lots of space? The trunk is like the size of a briefcase. I couldn't even fit a stroller in it when the wife and I were looking at one!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Imperador do Brasil posted:

A Kia Soul has lots of space? The trunk is like the size of a briefcase. I couldn't even fit a stroller in it when the wife and I were looking at one!

Compared to a CB900 the trunk is enormous.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I get the same feeling when I drive behind one in my Wrangler, which probably has more space with the back seat in (short-wheel-base).

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Well the trunk isnt that deep but it has a lot of usable space.

Back seats that can fit proper childs seats and adults, flat trunk area and back seats that fold down. It almost box truck size of usable space compaired to an RX-8.

Bla bla bla, ordering brake pads for the RX-8 right now and plan to put them on tomarrow if napa can get them in on time.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2012

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Changed the serpentine belt on my Volvo. Did not have the right tools to do it but the squeeling annoyed me so i jury rigged something together that worked. Only lost some skin and barely bled :smug:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just bought this naughty little girl.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just bought this naughty little girl.

Sooooo...the wing is already being removed?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Its stock and its staying.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's a stock wing.

It's sort of hideous, but stock.

e: beaten

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I didn't say anything about stock or not... :v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
They are hilariously flimsy. They will shake a bunch when closing the trunk and will wiggle at highway speeds. It's kinda disappointing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ziploc posted:

They are hilariously flimsy. They will shake a bunch when closing the trunk and will wiggle at highway speeds. It's kinda disappointing.

Wow, that sucks. Was the wing optional on SSes at least?

Don't get me wrong, I think Cobalt SSes are cool and I'd totally rock one. I'd have to make it look like a base model though - no wing, no badges, maybe even sell the wheels for some steelies. It's always fun to surprise people. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Cobalt SSes are cool and I'd totally rock one. I'd have to make it look like a base model though - no wing, no badges, maybe even sell the wheels for some steelies. It's always fun to surprise people. :v:
They made a four-door version and you can could get it in one of the boring shades of blue. You just know that was their intention from the start.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I like the wing. I also like the big gently caress-off wings on the WRX and Evo though so maybe my opinion is invalid. I also love the wheels. However I think I might debadge it at some point.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

It ain't that bad man. :(

Seriously though -- a 'boring' economy car with a few decent suspension mods makes for a riotous DD.

BTW I'm in the mood to shoot some photos. We should finally get together and take some pics of your ugly BMWs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wow, that sucks. Was the wing optional on SSes at least?

It's hard to find 18" steelies. My SS can't go smaller than 18" because of the brakes.
Also, the huge wing was optional. There was a standard small wing, but 90% of SS cars have the big wing.
People still don't expect a Cobalt to pull on them, no matter what the wing or badges say. There are so many "clone" SS cars around here that seeing a real SS is always a surprise. I also never see any other turbocharged ones, just the supercharged ones.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 28, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's hard to find 18" steelies. My SS can't go smaller than 18" because of the brakes.
Also, the huge wing was optional. There was a standard small wing, but 90% of SS cars have the big wing.
People still don't expect a Cobalt to pull on them, no matter what the wing or badges say. There are so many "clone" SS cars around here that seeing a real SS is always a surprise. I also never see any other turbocharged ones, just the supercharged ones.

I had the same problem tracking down 18" wheels for my MS6 so I just bought another set of the stock wheels. Ended up being $150 cheaper than the cheapest 18" wheel on Tirerack.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do you have upgraded brakes? I read that the 16" Pontiac G5 5-spoke steel wheels will fit on a SS/SC (although I know you have the SC/TC). My pops works for a company that delivers OEM car parts to body shops and mechanic shops so I can probably get a discount on some for my winter tires.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

That's crazy. How wide are the tires? Does the car really need discs that big?

Mostly I just hate how huge wheels have gotten in the last few years. :arghfist::corsair:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's crazy. How wide are the tires? Does the car really need discs that big?

Mostly I just hate how huge wheels have gotten in the last few years. :arghfist::corsair:

Not all of us are as luck as Dr14"D.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Admittedly, I really like the Soul. Way more than I should. Except they don't offer a stick on anything except the base 1.6. :argh: I'd rather have the 2.0, sunroof, map lights, and power mirrors... but not quite enough to give up having 3 pedals. And they have a bit more usable room than my late 90s Nissan Altima.

I could have sworn you could get M/T on the 2.0 before 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

some texas redneck posted:

Admittedly, I really like the Soul. Way more than I should. Except they don't offer a stick on anything except the base 1.6. :argh: I'd rather have the 2.0, sunroof, map lights, and power mirrors... but not quite enough to give up having 3 pedals. And they have a bit more usable room than my late 90s Nissan Altima.

I could have sworn you could get M/T on the 2.0 before 2012.

Well, make an AI Soul. I don't need to tell you what to do even, you're already planning it out.