Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drillpresses own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Drillpresses own

Milling machines own more :smug:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Congrats, now time to get that other thing.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Next time I go out there I'm going to make my own souvenirs instead of buying one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Milling machines own more :smug:

Didnt even notice that. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOUUUUUUUU

im mad jelly. What make/model is that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Didnt even notice that. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOUUUUUUUU

im mad jelly. What make/model is that?

It's a Jet JMD-15. Cheap Taiwanese Chinese mill but can't beat it for the price.

Korwen posted:

Next time I go out there I'm going to make my own souvenirs instead of buying one.

Your funeral. Also where did you get that exquisite avatar? :allears:

Sanchez, yeah, only 2 or 3 more pieces of major equipment before I can start machining stuff. Just need to find a source for cast off metal to practice with...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

where did you get that exquisite avatar? :allears:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458623&userid=34048

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah I'm an idiot, so what of it?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Don't mill with a drill chuck. The Jacobs taper is good in compression but bad in side loading and you can pull the whole thing out of the spindle. So either take it VERY easy or look for a collet setup or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

henne posted:

Don't mill with a drill chuck. The Jacobs taper is good in compression but bad in side loading and you can pull the whole thing out of the spindle. So either take it VERY easy or look for a collet setup or something.

Got it, thanks for the warning. I'm planning on picking up a collet/etc setup but I'm not quite sure what exactly to get...see debate here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&pagenumber=87#lastpost

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Another friend of mine has one of these.

All in all it's a pretty solid machine despite its origin.

Recommendation:

Find a way to mount a couple of small LED "lasers" to the head. It'll save you a lot time when aligning the drill/mill.

Experience:

Don't trust the registration when you change vertical head position on a Jet JMD-15.

I'd wish they made square columns instead of round columns. It's a bit wobbly.

Conclusion:

This is not a precision machinist tool. Don't expect it to be. Used to fabricate parts for mounts, frames and such, it's pretty good though. You could have done a hell of a lot worse.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Next on the list, a complete workbench:

http://couponcravings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screen-Shot-2012-01-17-at-2.28.41-PM.png

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Up at 530 and out of the house with a bundle of cash. Gonna be a good day.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Uh oh what now...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Worlds first motorcycle shaped crack rock

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The suspense is boringkilling me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Long time friend is offering him some super rare nice bike at a great price that he'll part out?

:master::iceburn::nattyburn:

:rolldice:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

It's going to be a welder.

edit: Also get a job, or at least get on loving messenger during the day hours. I'm loving bored at work you jerk.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can't really part this one out.

Cash is my copilot :whatup:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 27, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

A solid billet motorcycle

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
whatever it is it loving better be orange

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Korwen posted:

It's going to be a welder.

edit: Also get a job, or at least get on loving messenger during the day hours. I'm loving bored at work you jerk.

This.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Worlds first motorcycle shaped crack rock

And this.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
If it's not for TIG or Oxy/Acetylene welding tools this time, you're on your way to make yet another catastrophic mistake of possibly epic proportions.

I'll bribe Kristin to beat you up if you fail at life again.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 28, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Looks like the passenger seat of a compact car. If it were a motorcycle, I'd expect a truck to be involved.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Looks like the passenger seat of a compact car. If it were a motorcycle, I'd expect a truck to be involved.

Damnit youre right I was hoping for something cool like a CBX

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I paid 2.5k for a couple of boxes?

I think I got ripped off. :saddowns:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

O wait here's the good one

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Here's a list of things that came to mind when I first saw that picture:

world's smallest motorcycle
irrelevant
lame
boring
not orange

:fuckoff:

(what are you going to blob weld?!?)

needknees fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 28, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yo mang, harbor freight sells that poo poo for hella less cheddar

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Holy poo poo, that's a $6K welder.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I think this is my favorite post ever.

edit for content: So is it time to put that carbon tail on the SV finally?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
You did well. gently caress the haters.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Actually, you can pay a metric fuckton for worse dope (or cheddar) than a Dynasty 200.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 28, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can only assume you're going to use this to weld the bumpers together of every car in the BART parking lot like we discussed, yes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Here's a list of things that came to mind when I first saw that picture:

world's smallest motorcycle
irrelevant
lame
boring
not orange

:fuckoff:

(what are you going to blob weld?!?)

Yeah so it's not a motorcycle but if I try hard enough, maybe I can make my SV like a KTM!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I can't help but believe that a HF welder is the best way to figure out exactly how well you conduct electricity.

Bucephalus posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a $6K welder.

Yeah, I was super stoked. With gas and paying for a few extra items he had on hand, it was a total of $2600 for:

Welder - 22 minutes on it, 40 arcs struck. Made in 2011, still has 4? years left on the warranty.
Foot pedal
2 torches, both air cooled, one larger and one smaller with flex heads plus an assortment of different size collets, cups, gas filters, etc.
Stick welding attachment
Autodarkening welding mask
half a dozen sets of gloves
A bunch of assorted tungstens
a bunch of assorted filler rods
Manual/registration card/etc
Regulator/hoses
15 pounds or so of assorted blocks of aluminum/steel/stainless to practice with

All that and we spent about 2 hours welding with him giving me tips on stuff/going over the machine.

Not bad. More than I wanted to spend, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run! Also, super stoked that it only requires 20A 110 circuit for up to 150A, or a 30A 220 circuit for 200A, which means no calling an electrician to do wiring in a house I'm renting!

Korwen posted:

I think this is my favorite post ever.

edit for content: So is it time to put that carbon tail on the SV finally?

Yup! Just need to pick up an argon tank and check if the plug is correct for the dryer/make an extension cord.

Sir Cornelius posted:

You did well. gently caress the haters.

Actually, you can pay a metric fuckton for worse dope (or cheddar) than a Dynasty 200.

I'm so excited. I'll be bugging ya when I can't get 2 pieces of metal to melt together right.

Xovaan posted:

I can only assume you're going to use this to weld the bumpers together of every car in the BART parking lot like we discussed, yes?

The human mechanical centipede will rise again!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

With a purchase like that, you will probably not lose any money if you ever choose to sell it. Minimal-depreciating assets are the best assets.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

Yeah so it's not a motorcycle but if I try hard enough, maybe I can make my SV like a KTM!

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/forums/showthread.php?4166-SV650-Dual-Sport

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

I'm so excited. I'll be bugging ya when I can't get 2 pieces of metal to melt together right.

You'd be more than welcome.

I'm not a pro at TIG welding aluminum though. Well I'm not a pro at welding anything, really. Just know the theory and can do most things when I need them to be done and the success criteria is my own satisfactory.

The forum user you should ask is "Ultimateforce".

He's bait-able if you start a thread in the main AI forum. Title should be something like: "Hi dude, have a look at my fancy fluorescent green-yellow wheels".

Then just post a picture of your equipment and a weld you've made.

He'll probably correct you and tell you exactly what's wrong with that weld besides not being a green fluorescent wheel. If he does, you should listen, because he will be dead on right.

Mild steel and stainless I'll be happy to try to help you with, but I'm probably not the right teacher for alu.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Welding is fun yaaaay!

Z3n posted:

Autodarkening welding mask
Above all else, these are amazing. So much better than the position hand,flip down, weld, flip up, move hand routine you had to go through before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Make me an exhaust and I will give you 2 (!!! wow !!!) forum upgrades.

• Locked thread