Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Are we only allowed to link to youtube? I did find working links to dailymotion. Can we just point people in the direction of the isubs forum for the entirety of the episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Welcome to the club! I'm pretty sure this is most people's reactions to the show.

So, problem. Per the discussion a couple of pages back, the end of this next episode isn't up for viewing anywhere online. More importantly it isn't on Youtube, so while there are sources there isn't anything I can really link to. Should I put up links to the first parts? None of it? Any general ideas?

Why not just use DailyMotion links? iSubs has them.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Revenant Threshold posted:

Welcome to the club! I'm pretty sure this is most people's reactions to the show.

So, problem. Per the discussion a couple of pages back, the end of this next episode isn't up for viewing anywhere online. More importantly it isn't on Youtube, so while there are sources there isn't anything I can really link to. Should I put up links to the first parts? None of it? Any general ideas?

You could post up the first parts but it's going to be maddening for first time viewers watching because they won't know how Yoo Jae Suk becomes Yooruce Willis.

It's also pretty strange as to how this particular part is missing while a lot of the other episodes have remained intact online.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

sharktamer posted:

Someone already did.

Awesome. Jong Kook and the kids are the best.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just finished City Hunter. Kwang Soo was hilarious all the way through.

Can someone explain to me the last 2 minutes of the series?

Also is there gonna be a second season? I have no idea what the story would be, but I just want to see more of these characters and their antics. Seriously after 20 episodes I want some satisfying romance resolution, dammit! That ring was a Chekov's gun that never got fired. :(

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

qbert posted:

Can someone explain to me the last 2 minutes of the series?

From NATE (http://news.nate.com/view/20110729n08195) and allKpop:
http://www.allkpop.com/2011/07/spoiler-city-hunter-the-producer-of-city-hunter-clarifies-the-ending

Without providing spoilers, I can say it's an ending most can appreciate.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Lyer posted:

Are we only allowed to link to youtube? I did find working links to dailymotion. Can we just point people in the direction of the isubs forum for the entirety of the episode?
It's not so much that only Youtube links are allowed, but one of the standards in the rules is that it being up on there means that interested parties haven't yet attempted to take it down. For now i'll go with the Dailymotion links, but hopefully i'll be able to switch them out later (or if a mod decides it's not kosher).

TV Zombie posted:

It's also pretty strange as to how this particular part is missing while a lot of the other episodes have remained intact online.
My assumption is it's the TV programme they end up on in the punishment that's pinging SBS's sensors, rather than Running Man.

Episode 13:
Guests: Jang Dong-Min (Comedian), Lizzy (Idol, After School)

1 2 3 4

If you’re following along with this thread but weren’t bothered by earlier episodes, or you’re looking for a good jumping in point, watch this episode.

First thing to say is; I hope you like Lizzy. She’s not in the cast list in the OP, but she does in the late teen episodes become a temporary main cast member (and she’s also in next week’s episode). Anyway, we start this episode where the last left off, thanks to the punishment. Lizzy repeatedly mentioning non-SBS stuff, in their own building no less, was pretty great. And we have a unique punishment, suited to the location, detailed right from the start; unfortunetly, the identity of the losers is really obvious even with the faces disguised, so I’d advise being careful about that if you’re reading this before watching (frankly, the “in this episode” flashforwards quite often seem to spoil a lot of things, which sometimes doesn’t matter and sometimes is pretty annoying).

We start off straightaway this week with the thief card game, and Jae-Suk really has terrible, terrible luck with this game, though his quickly seizing advantage of Lizzy’s mistake was hilarious. The first game is the first bit/last bit word game from last week, which manages to continue on some running jokes and also adds Gwang-Soo’s attempts to avoid being out. I wonder what the odds are on that thief card passing. Then we have a similar game to the calling out game last week.

Next up is the hide-and-seek, this time with the mission being to find certain videotapes, and it’s really a great location for this game; the usual long hallway-style floor with the doors at either end, plus all the random rooms, work well for it. I wonder if, by now, they have Running Man clips in that museum? Ji-Hyo’s automatically collapsing when she saw Jong-Kook, combined then with her immediate readiness to betray a teammate (and pick which one, for that matter) was unexpectedly funny. Getting the staff to actually go snoop around for them is a pretty inevitable result of the growing presence they’re having on the show. Gary’s hiding place is probably my favourite bit of the entire show, jointly with the blue team innocently opening a door, only to find Jong-Kook literally right behind it. Finally, we have Jae-Suk (and his VJ)’s finest hour, which I’m not even going to try and describe since all of it is awesome.

Finally we have the punishment, which is certainly a change from the norm. Jae-Suk deservedly gets to skip out on it, though, and that’s the important thing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

This episode was everything you all said it would be. It doesn't get better than this one does it? At the end when you see Jae Suk and the sweat stains on his blue get up, you really know he was fighting this one with everything he got. Just amazing.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The best part of it is when he actually elbows Jong-Kook to the side to escape. JK actually seems to take a moment to think, "Did that just happen?".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I do not like After School, but I LOVE Orange Caramel, so I do enjoy when members of Orange Caramel show up on variety shows. Although I thought Lizzy was quite dull and a non-entity when she guested on Invincible Youth, here, she's very bubbly and sharp enjoyable to watch. Also super-cute.

And really, nothing else can be said about this episode. It just needs to be watched.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I really hope you'll be adding the various crew members to the opp when they start to appear.

I loved Lizzy's tenure on the show. I think she worked herself into the cast really well. And yes, she's hella adorable too.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Jamesman posted:

I do not like After School, but I LOVE Orange Caramel, so I do enjoy when members of Orange Caramel show up on variety shows. Although I thought Lizzy was quite dull and a non-entity when she guested on Invincible Youth, here, she's very bubbly and sharp enjoyable to watch. Also super-cute.

And really, nothing else can be said about this episode. It just needs to be watched.

How the gently caress can you like Orange Caramel? Bangkok City is an abomination

Selane
May 19, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

How the gently caress can you like Orange Caramel? Bangkok City is an abomination

It sure is, though Magic Girl, A~ing, and Funny Hunny are all super catchy even if they are obnoxiously cutesy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

One of the many things that I liked about that episode is how Jae Suk and his VJ worked so well together. After telling his VJ to try to catch up in the previous episode to using him now to block the doors so that he could escape to their episode with Choi Min Soo, it's been a pleasure watching them work together.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I'm now caught up to the latest episode. It's been very fun and touching to watch these people become closer over time.

Is Family Outing just as good?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm just going through some of the upcoming episodes, and there's a run of really good episodes here. In the first place I watched quite a few out of order, so it's nice now to watch them back in order and see a good run. We've got Yong-Hwa back again, Yuri, the ship, the trainyard. Basically all the episodes up to the ski resort one are excellent.

sharktamer posted:

I really hope you'll be adding the various crew members to the opp when they start to appear.
As to that, when I was first writing up the thread I considered just having "the crew" as a general cast member, but I came to the same idea you did. So yes, basically, assuming I can find good enough pictures of the wigged producer, the Staff Monday Couple, 1-2 Punch, and so on. Likewise Lizzy will go up there in a few episode's time.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Because SHUT UP. :mad:

Although yeah, I didn't like Bangkok City very much.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Episode 27 was fantastic. Everything one of the games was top notch, especially the drawing game. The part with them drawing Gary was fantastic, and Ji Hyo and Jong Kook's reaction to HaHa's drawing had me cracking up.

I do have a question for those of you further ahead in the episodes. Does the format ever change back to having the hide and seek as the main event of the show? While episode 27 was pretty good, overall I'm not a fan of them moving the hide and seek portion to the start of the show as a way for them to find the guests. The show feels right when it builds to that segment, and unless the other games are exceptionally good, the show overall loses something with the front loaded format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

DFu4ever posted:

I do have a question for those of you further ahead in the episodes. Does the format ever change back to having the hide and seek as the main event of the show? While episode 27 was pretty good, overall I'm not a fan of them moving the hide and seek portion to the start of the show as a way for them to find the guests. The show feels right when it builds to that segment, and unless the other games are exceptionally good, the show overall loses something with the front loaded format.

Yes. Eventually they stop doing the "find the guest at the beginning" stuff and go back to having the main mission as the climax of the episode.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Honestly, the main chasing part is often the part I enjoy the least when there's no significant variation to it. After a few dozen episodes you can pretty accurately predict the performance of many members and it just gets kind of boring to watch KJK bossing it up or Suk-Jin going out without getting anything done week in week out. The cast vs. guests, 3+ teams and spy variations are generally fun though, and luckily there doesn't seem to be many 2 team chasing parts any more.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 29, 2012

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I was surfing around Wiki to learn about the show a bit more and found out about Infinite Challenge with Jae-Suk and Haha. Anyone seen it or know what's its like? Running Man has made me interested in this kind of format.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Archer2338 posted about it in the other thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448723&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post398253219

It's not subbed as frequently as running man and a lot of older episodes aren't subbed at all. The few episodes I've seen were pretty funny, though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Raeg posted:

I was surfing around Wiki to learn about the show a bit more and found out about Infinite Challenge with Jae-Suk and Haha. Anyone seen it or know what's its like? Running Man has made me interested in this kind of format.

Here's what I posted about it in the IY2 thread, after Archer introduced me to it.

quote:

I'm almost done with watching all the subbed eps of IC I could find (around 80 eps in all), and I feel that in a lot of ways it's actually a superior show to Running Man, just in terms of the sheer variety of concepts and the seamless blending of humor, sentiment, tension, etc. I certainly recognize its brilliance on an intellectual level. It may be much less structured than Running Man, but all of the cast is so good at playing their roles that they're constantly creating amazing moments out of very organic situations.

I love how the members of IC approach "mission" episodes as opposed to how the members of RM approach them. For example, concepts like the tail-grabbing game or the Gangs of Seoul game on IC could easily have appeared on RM, but the difference is that on IC every member immediately tries to think of ways of cheating the system or finding loopholes to game the other players. Hong Chul going to a yarn store to buy different colored tails to trick the other players, or figuring out he can fold in the fingers on his "paper" to make it appear as "scissors" creates these insane scenarios that I don't think the producers even anticpated. It's awesome. RM members would just approach things in a more straight-forward manner. IC also never feels scripted (although I have no idea how much of it is), like in the zombie episode where they spent so much money and effort putting makeup on hundreds of zombie extras, only to have PMS ruin the game almost immediately by sacrificing the other members.

I think IC may be the better show, even though RM is still my favorite of the two. I think it's just because I really like the cast of RM and the presentation of challenges, whereas IC's humor is derived mostly from the cast making fun of each other (even though you can tell they all love each other ultimately).

To summarize my ramblings, thanks for introducing me to an amazing show!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Is there a top ten list for the IC newbies?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Is there a top ten list for the IC newbies?

IC is a little different than Running Man as a lot of games/missions span multiple episodes.

Off the top of my head I would recommend the Money Bag episodes, the Tail Grabbing episodes, the Trash Bag episodes, the Gangs of Seoul episodes, and the Pimple Break episodes.

If you still like the show after those, then definitely watch the Wrestling arc (spanning 10 episodes!) and the New York trip arc (6 episodes!).

All the ones I listed you can find subs for. http://z7.invisionfree.com/DDDteam/index.php?showtopic=233

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I really liked Park Bo Young in ep. 25. She was really enthusiastic and basically radiated fun and good times. She really deserved to figure out the 1:9 game too, especially being such a fan of the show. The location (and the intro and singing game that sprang from it) was great as well.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If we're talking about upcoming episodes we love, Episode 22 is one of my favourites. Siwon's excited expressions and movements during the toy buying game were so funny and the sound effects to match were perfect. The 1 vs. 10 mission itself wasn't incredible, but the acting segments used as distraction were all hilarious. Jaesuk's "serious expression" has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Then Kim Jong Min's KEUDAEYEOOOOOOO in the chasing game and his vehemence after not winning a single running ball, ripping the socks off each member of the opposing team after arriving late each time.

If I had created my top 10 when it was appropriate, this one would definitely be on it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I think my absolutely favorite thing about isubs is that they usually put up a note about the music being used, and even if they don't it can usually be found on their forums. It's really great of them to provide that service. :)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So later episodes occasionally mention the (a?) scriptwriter. Which makes me wonder, how much of the crew's responses is scripted? The way they talk makes me think it's all improv, but if so, what's the scriptwriter's job?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Wahad posted:

So later episodes occasionally mention the (a?) scriptwriter. Which makes me wonder, how much of the crew's responses is scripted? The way they talk makes me think it's all improv, but if so, what's the scriptwriter's job?

With a lot of these types of shows, one person tends to do all the transition statements. Usually any show with Yoo Jae-suk will have him do everything as he just has a natural ability to not make it awkward.

Or in Running Man you'll see random statements like "oh we arrived at so and so" to make it seem like a less abrupt change when they leave and arrive at places since the inside of airports generally look the same. So any time you think that they are being awkward and re-shooting a scene, they probably are.

edit: Episode 79 is pretty rampant when it comes to scripted events and statements.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Emalde posted:

I think my absolutely favorite thing about isubs is that they usually put up a note about the music being used, and even if they don't it can usually be found on their forums. It's really great of them to provide that service. :)

Speaking of this, I just found a track that nobody was able to identify; 15 minutes into Episode 21. Nobody from isubs has a clue, does anyone here know?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I can't wait for subs for EP 79. Most of the episode is dialogue and text, but when the reveal came, I cheered.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

IC is a little different than Running Man as a lot of games/missions span multiple episodes.

Off the top of my head I would recommend the Money Bag episodes, the Tail Grabbing episodes, the Trash Bag episodes, the Gangs of Seoul episodes, and the Pimple Break episodes.

If you still like the show after those, then definitely watch the Wrestling arc (spanning 10 episodes!) and the New York trip arc (6 episodes!).

All the ones I listed you can find subs for. http://z7.invisionfree.com/DDDteam/index.php?showtopic=233

I made a account on the forums you mentioned but still having no acess to the topic in the link.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Nexal posted:

I made a account on the forums you mentioned but still having no acess to the topic in the link.

You have to reply to their rules thread first to verify your account. They only provide the subtitles file, so you still need to find the actual show elsewhere.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

qbert posted:

I can't wait for subs for EP 79. Most of the episode is dialogue and text, but when the reveal came, I cheered.

I thought it was slightly disappointing towards the end because you knew it was coming. But the jokes along the way are pretty funny. And how awkward the guests are.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 14:
Guests: Lizzy (2nd. App.)

1 2 3 4 5

Another interesting location this week. I’m afraid I don’t know the geography of the region well (though I know Japan has it’s fair share of natural disasters), but I guess Korea is on some faults or the like. It’s also the birth (officially, anyway) of the Monday Couple, a running gag which will pretty much be brought up in every episode from now on.

This week we have a reversed 1 vs. X; this time, Jong-Kook is solely in on the plot against every else, a version which comes up fairly often and leads on to the spy format of later games. Anyway, it’s applied to a singing game, which makes the idea all the better since JK is a singer himself. The game itself (without the 1 vs. X twist) comes up fairly often, as do the blowing microphone. He’s actually pretty cunning at this, but everyone else largely does his job for him, even when the crew change things around a bit. I feel bad for Joong-Ki earnestly trying to help him out. It’s also fun to see everyone’s singing style when they’re not on a rollercoaster; Gwang-Soo and Haha are especially passionate on these tasks.

Next up is the thief card game. I’d forgotten how long it went on, to be honest, but it’s a good excuse for the minigames in between rounds that inevitably end up with bickering and petty gloating, so it’s all good. Speaking of, the first game is probably familiar to most of you, though I know it under a different name. The last three are disturbingly good at the game. Gwang-Soo taking advantage of the opportunity to lord it over the rest of them for once is hilarious. The standing up game is, thankfully, a bit less tricky to get than the counting games in the previous episodes.

Finally up is the hide-and-seek game, which works pretty well here, with the payphone mission meaning the hiders have to be out in the open for an extended bit of time. Jae-Suk’s courage from last time seems to have used up his year’s supply, judging by his encounter with Jong-Kook. I was impressed by Lizzy’s acting, only for it then to fall down when she didn’t figure out she was talking to a prop. And once again the VJs get involved in getting the members out of a sticky situation.

And to finish off, sausage district punishment. Make your own jokes. Next time; Hitting on Ji-Hyo.

I feel the need to point out, given that this episode is the birth of the Monday Couple, that Ji-Hyo turning up at one of Gary’s concerts to sing as mentioned earlier in the thread is actually up on Youtube currently, though they’re all fancams and pretty poor quality.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I love how funny the minigames between the thief card rounds can be, despite being so simple. Kwang Soo really shined as the drill instructor. Suk Jin and Jae Suk's literal threat exchange was hilarious too.

Bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo bibo.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I was totally rooting for KJK to win the challenge, dude looked so happy when he fooled them all. Kwang Soo has really come alive these past few eps and it's awesome to see.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Every time they use music from the Bourne films I want to stop whatever I'm doing and re-watch the trilogy again, although I usually do that once a month anyway. It's Pavlovian at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 15:
Guests: Tony Ahn (Idol) Kim Kwang-Kyu (Actor)

1 2 3 4

On the face of it, an incredibly boring location. But it’s actually a pretty awesome one when it comes to the chasing game.

First up, a sort of 1 vs. X, only there’s no trick or person secretly in on a plot. This time round, the first game (and pre-investigation) is who can successfully hit on Ji-Hyo, which goes probably about as well as you’d expect. The different approaches the men take are pretty funny, but Gwang-Soo shines out as really getting into the show again this week, and the “house” joke just gets funnier every time. The repeated cuts to Gary’s blank face when everyone else is doing ok are great as well. I suspect those Joong-Ki and Jong-Kook fans in the thread will be happy with this particular segment.

After all that, we come to the hide-and-seek, which has a really strong chasing team (or maybe just a really weak mission team) this week, but it’s actually a good game this week so it doesn’t seem to matter. This is also the first time they have the concept of resurrection tags, which don’t show up too often but does provide a nice little quirk to the game. I end up feeling sorry for Kwang-Kyu after Suk-Jin basically sacrifices him. After being overpowered yet again, Haha takes the opportunity to do some more action movie posing, and manages to get caught. Jae-Suk sadly isn’t as good at pretending to be out as Lizzy was last week, and the free-for-all that then ensues is pretty hilarious.

Another random game cut out, this time the thief card game, but I’m not really sure I’d want to cut out anything else in this episode to make room for it. And Haha is again incredibly lucky in the lottery.

Next time; the members make Yuri cry.