Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

But Blas Perez is a fatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Well that was a boring and pretty poorly played game but that's three wins in a row with one of them being on the road down a man. It's a good string of results and I really don't think the B team from 2-3 years back would have been able to hold out for the win like we did tonight.

Either way, Sapong should be playing more as he actually knows how to hold the ball up it seems.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Well that was a boring and pretty poorly played game but that's three wins in a row with one of them being on the road down a man. It's a good string of results and I really don't think the B team from 2-3 years back would have been able to hold out for the win like we did tonight.

Either way, Sapong should be playing more as he actually knows how to hold the ball up it seems.

Yep. CJ is gonna have a breakout year for us this year (both for the US and Wiz)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
D-man, did you go to Barrett's? I couldn't make it. Haven't gotten to a match there since I moved up here/AO Omaha came about

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I just love when we win.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

A bunch of foreigners discussing why Landon Donovan stays in the US instead of going abroad without mentioning:

1. He likes the US and living in the US
2. He makes a lot of money staying in the US
3. He's the big man on campus in the US

Basically just questioning his work ethic and whether or not he is a coward.

Landycakes is poo poo, and its a shame hes the (second) best we have to offer.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Reek posted:

Landycakes is poo poo, and its a shame hes the (second) best we have to offer.

Uh, right. Must be why he's consistently been the best player on the pitch for Everton since he's been back.

Landon makes way more money in the US. The paycut he'd have to take to play for Everton full time is just ridiculous.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Games minus Donovan when we're playing our A-TEAM you always notice he's gone, and it's even more terrifying when he's playing and he's anonymous. Furthermore, as good as Dempsey is it seems like without fail during USMNT game he's either falling or being knocked over constantly. It's become a running joke since the World Cup between my friends and I "Oh where's Dempsey heh he's on the ground" and more often than not he is.

He still owns though and can Score a Goal and he's doing very well at Fulham this season.

Mafiostasso
Jul 23, 2007

I'm greasing up my whoozits!

80085 posted:

Uh, right. Must be why he's consistently been the best player on the pitch for Everton since he's been back.

Landon makes way more money in the US. The paycut he'd have to take to play for Everton full time is just ridiculous.

Seeing as he wasn't the first or second best player for the Galaxy this past season, all this tells me is that Everton is true poo poo. (or he's finally motivated again)

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

He was totally our second best player last year. Omar edged him out but slightly, but he was still better than everyone else.

Mafiostasso
Jul 23, 2007

Well, I'll say he's the second best still on your squad. I really think Juninho was better than him this year.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

80085 posted:

Also he would have to live in England and I don't think he wants to.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cheese posted:

If he could have figured his poo poo out in Germany we could be talking about a top 25-50 player in the world in Donovan. Instead he decided to go back to SoCal and let his development stagnate, and be the big fish in a small pond in MLS.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Mafiostasso posted:

Well, I'll say he's the second best still on your squad. I really think Juninho was better than him this year.

He wasn't. Juninho was great, but Donovan was way more valuable to us.

Donovan's stints in Germany were terrible because he was in terrible environments. Every single team he played for simply gave no fucks about his development and would actively stymie his attempts to play. If he had stayed at Leverkusen, he would be just another Sal Zizzo, Preston Zimmerman, etc. Coming back to the US saved his career and made him the player he is today along with the attitude adjustment he received when he came back.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Shrapnac posted:

If he could have figured his poo poo out in Germany we could be talking about a top 25-50 player in the world in Donovan. Instead he decided to go back to SoCal and let his development stagnate, and be the big fish in a small pond in MLS.

Pretty sure this is 100% false. I don't think he would have developed at all in Germany. I completely agree with B.B. Rodriquez's assessment.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He wasn't. Juninho was great, but Donovan was way more valuable to us.

Donovan's stints in Germany were terrible because he was in terrible environments. Every single team he played for simply gave no fucks about his development and would actively stymie his attempts to play. If he had stayed at Leverkusen, he would be just another Sal Zizzo, Preston Zimmerman, etc. Coming back to the US saved his career and made him the player he is today along with the attitude adjustment he received when he came back.

While I agree that Germany probably would have been bad for his development (mostly because of his issues with being out of America) I really do not feel he developed much further than where he was in the US. There is little difference between 2010 WC Donovan and 2002 WC Donovan. One is a bit slower but smarter and takes better set pieces.

In reality, I really think Donovan's growth would be stunted no matter what he did.

Mafiostasso
Jul 23, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I kind of agree with you, but that doesn't make Donovan sound any better in the Donovan/Dempsey debate. It's not like Dempsey had it any better with Fulham where each year saw a new manager come in and say "Yeah, I know you were one of our leading scorers, but I'm going to start these other guys over you because they HAVE to be better than you- they're from Europe while you're just from Texas".

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Even though Clint is doing great, I still don't think he's better than Landon. Look at what has happened to Everton since his arrival. They were dreadful and now they are simply ok. Donovan is the best player on the field constantly. Without him and his set up play, they would have lost every game this month. He just isnt scoring because thats not his job for Everton. This stint in England has actually made him better in my eyes. In November, at the MLS Cup, I would have said what you said, but seeing him play in the EPL for a worse team than Clint and still being great is proof enough for me. And all this is coming from a Liverpool fan who finds it difficult to say nice things about Everton.

Mafiostasso
Jul 23, 2007

I really don't have a dog in the hunt either way. I like Donovan's total game more than Clint's, but I respect the path Clint has traveled to get where he is more than Landon.

I still think prior to this Everton run, which I totally agree has been great, Donovan's play has been subpar for him Specifically this season and about half of last. I'm not knocking him as a player really, just seems like he's been off to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This seems like a reasonable place to ask in regard to our national team: Why do the Olympics put age restrictions on the men's team? I don't think they have it for the women's team, or most sports in general.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This seems like a reasonable place to ask in regard to our national team: Why do the Olympics put age restrictions on the men's team? I don't think they have it for the women's team, or most sports in general.

Because nobody gives a gently caress about the Olympics and there's already this big international tournament called the World Cup. Maybe you've heard of it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shrapnac posted:

Because nobody gives a gently caress about the Olympics and there's already this big international tournament called the World Cup. Maybe you've heard of it?

Hey thanks for being a dick, but the existence of the world cup doesn't prevent national teams from playing on other meaningless tournaments, so why not the olympics?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hey thanks for being a dick, but the existence of the world cup doesn't prevent national teams from playing on other meaningless tournaments, so why not the olympics?

The Summer Olympics also conflict with the European Championships so you'd never see a Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, whatever representing their Olympic team because the Euros are more prestigious.

I'm all for the Olympics being a U-23 tournament. It gives senior players a chance to rest during the summer and is a good shop window for up and coming talent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense, thanks.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

That makes sense, thanks.

It probably also has to do with FIFA and how they view the Olympics (not a money making venture for them). England also can't play in the Olympics so that might make people upset.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympics wants to be the most prestigious event in every sport. The World Cup will always overshadow the Olympics so they just turn into a silly U-23 tournament instead.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Conartist posted:

It probably also has to do with FIFA and how they view the Olympics (not a money making venture for them). England also can't play in the Olympics so that might make people upset.

Won't the Great Britain team essentially be the England U23s though? I thought the other Home Nations had decided not to participate.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Plus the Olympics likes to pretend they only allow amateur athletes, so it SORT OF makes sense to only use younger people... right?

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
In case anyone that cares didn't already know, US Women v Costa Rica is currently in the 8th minute or so -- win and they're through to the Olympics. CONCACAF.com and Universalsports.com both have legal feeds.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Howdy posted:

In case anyone that cares didn't already know, US Women v Costa Rica is currently in the 8th minute or so -- win and they're through to the Olympics. CONCACAF.com and Universalsports.com both have legal feeds.

excellent. espn3 was a bust

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

joshtothemaxx posted:

Plus the Olympics likes to pretend they only allow amateur athletes, so it SORT OF makes sense to only use younger people... right?

I'm not sure that can really be said since the days of the Dream Team, but yeah, originally, it was all about being an amateur.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

foobardog posted:

I'm not sure that can really be said since the days of the Dream Team, but yeah, originally, it was all about being an amateur.

The Soviets killed that 'amateur' thing long before the Dream Team, by giving their athletes military positions that involved no military duties whatsoever.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
ladies need to finish one or two of these and put this game away

e:GOAL

Reek fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 28, 2012

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

Lamont Cranston posted:

Won't the Great Britain team essentially be the England U23s though? I thought the other Home Nations had decided not to participate.
They can't stop their players from going, like Bale or Ramsey, but they're paranoid about losing their independent FA status with FIFA i guess.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Alex Morgan puts away the third goal in the 89th, and that's the end of the game.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Everyone loves Alex Morgan :allears:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

cheese posted:

Would you?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

CPColin posted:

Everyone loves Alex Morgan :allears:

Hey look, still true two days later.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

that was a great run and finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This game is actually being televised on Versus if anyone gets that.

• Locked thread