Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hirams Bitch posted:

I can't believe this thread has survived as long as it has with that typo in the title, but then I remember this is the WCW thread and it's quite fitting.

Yeah it really looked like something a bird left on the hood of my car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Wendell posted:

I liked Flair's book a lot, especially his story about Dusty and Harley Race drunkenly chasing him in a car while shooting at him.

I think it was Austin's book that I read the first few pages of but couldn't continue because it was so poorly written.

And Regal's book is fantastic for his story of addiction. It was interesting to see the shame he felt over that "stiff" Goldberg match that everyone used to praise on the internet.

Never read Austin's book, but Rock's was the worst I ever read. It's ok for a while, but soon starts divvying up the book, half in normal speak and half in bolded third-person Rock speak. So loving annoying.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've read drat near all the books from the big stars, and I think Bret's book is BY FAR the best. I don't think anything is close really. The book is hilarious, gut wrenchingly sad, and extremely insightful.

The highlight for me was finding out that Bulldog smoked crack before the famous summerslam match, and bret had to carry him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The highlight for me was finding out that Bulldog smoked crack before the famous summerslam match, and bret had to carry him.

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in the wrestling business, but :stare:

I need to read Bret's book. Read both Foley books and the Rock's book (the latter being toilet reading fodder, whereas I read both of Foley's in a short amount of time because I was gobbling up all the info). Going to have to look into some of these other ones.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
IIRC the American version of Bret's book is edited down from the original Canadian version, so you may want to seek that one out. Not sure if it's anything substantial, though.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

nasboat posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in the wrestling business, but :stare:

Yeah he talks a lot about the drug usage in the industry during his entire career. Lots of sad stories and some not surprising. Did you know that 3 out of 5 members of the Hart Foundation in 1997 were massive drug addicts? But he does talk a lot about his drug usage too so its not entirely one sided.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Never read Austin's book, but Rock's was the worst I ever read. It's ok for a while, but soon starts divvying up the book, half in normal speak and half in bolded third-person Rock speak. So loving annoying.

I had totally forgotten that! Yeah, I skipped every terrible kayfabe chapter after the first few.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

ColeM posted:

Yeah he talks a lot about the drug usage in the industry during his entire career. Lots of sad stories and some not surprising. Did you know that 3 out of 5 members of the Hart Foundation in 1997 were massive drug addicts? But he does talk a lot about his drug usage too so its not entirely one sided.

I like how he got ring rats to give him the drugs, even!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

ColeM posted:

Yeah he was extremely open about doing steroids. He basically picked drinking beer and loving chicks as his drug of choice after the shows, whereas all his buddies would pound beers and do pain killers/coke/anything else that was around.

Outside of the aforementioned "Bulldog smokes rocks" story, something I found the most surprising was that he didn't make Hogan out to be a terrible person per se....but just as an extremely selfish dick. Hulk would still dress with the boys, and did lots of charity work at least. The Ultimate Warrior, though.....man that guy sounds like a piece of trash. Telling Make-A-Wish kids to gently caress off is pretty awful. He sounded like he was an awful human being. It's not surprising that to this day he's pretty much universally hated by everyone in the industry.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ColeM posted:

I assumed that many of them were (I knew Bulldog and Pillman both had documented drug problems, though the crack + SS 92 reveal was something I didn't know). Out of Owen, Bret and Neidhart, I wouldn't have been surprised if all of them were, honestly. :(

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Outside of the aforementioned "Bulldog smokes rocks" story, something I found the most surprising was that he didn't make Hogan out to be a terrible person per se....but just as an extremely selfish dick. Hulk would still dress with the boys, and did lots of charity work at least. The Ultimate Warrior, though.....man that guy sounds like a piece of trash. Telling Make-A-Wish kids to gently caress off is pretty awful. He sounded like he was an awful human being. It's not surprising that to this day he's pretty much universally hated by everyone in the industry.

Warrior has to be handicapped by the fact that he's totally insane. Those Destrucity rants he used to post on his old website were like reading work by the loving Unibomber. Doesn't excuse poo poo with the Make-A-Wish kids (admittedly I don't know these stories), but the guy has been off his rocker for decades.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 25, 2012

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
My sister sent Warrior a hate mail over 10 years ago after I pointed out his website to her one day for shits and giggles.

She was a semi-serious fan back in the day when I was absolutely hardcore, and she always hated Hogan and Warrior for their characters, but then after learning about what an rear end in a top hat nutcase Warrior was in real life, well...maybe I should find out exactly what she wrote him and if she ever got a response.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Brets book is GREAT, one of those books where you get sad when it ends.

I have read both of Jerichos book, His first book was great, and the second was OKAY (the WWF bits), but the band bits, while vaguely entertaining, I could care less about.

Mick foley's first book was also very good, I love hearing about the inner workings. I am a quarter into his second book, and it's great to hear about the I quit match and the hell in the cell, interesting to see where it goes!

I have Austin's on my kindle, but am I bit worried it's going to read poo poo after coming from such great books.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shiki Dan posted:

sending emails to Warrior

I wrote him an email a few years ago saying I was a big fan as a kid and asking his opinions on current wrestling stuff and about the rumors from years past about him. It was like a 2 paragraph email.

He responded with this 4 page letter where he rambled off-topic and switched subjects and gave rapid fire opinions on all aspects of life. It was crazy. He also thanked me for being a fan. I wish I still had that email.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

simosimo posted:

Mick foley's first book was also very good, I love hearing about the inner workings. I am a quarter into his second book, and it's great to hear about the I quit match and the hell in the cell, interesting to see where it goes!

Its a good book but Foley devotes the entire end section into a defense of the WWF, which was under a lot of political/media fire at that time being the Attitude era and all. It was a good read when I was 21 and a huge WWF fan but I reread it a few years ago and it doesn't really stand up as either entertainment or an actual defense of the WWF.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

oldpainless posted:

Its a good book but Foley devotes the entire end section into a defense of the WWF, which was under a lot of political/media fire at that time being the Attitude era and all. It was a good read when I was 21 and a huge WWF fan but I reread it a few years ago and it doesn't really stand up as either entertainment or an actual defense of the WWF.

:science: That's actually the end of "Foley Is Good", his second book! The first is very worthwhile. I'm not an enormous fan of modern American pro wrestling, but he touches on a really good era and goes into more detail about Japan than most.

Speaking of which, has anyone actually written a wrestling book about Puroresu? I've kind of gotten into it via proxy (I spent my teenage years training shootwrestling and BJJ) and can't find a lot of cool reading material on it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Does anyone remember the Latino World Order? Were they a spinoff of the NWO or something?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Forceholy posted:

Does anyone remember the Latino World Order? Were they a spinoff of the NWO or something?

It was just to give the cruiserweights something to do. It basically revolved around Eddie and his cronies attacking Rey and trying to force him to join, as far as I remember.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ColeM posted:

3 out of 5? It's assumed Owen was clean, but unless Bret was clean in 97 it was 4 out of 5.

:laffo: Or Pillman was other clean one :laffo:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Matlock posted:

3 out of 5? It's assumed Owen was clean, but unless Bret was clean in 97 it was 4 out of 5.

:laffo: Or Pillman was other clean one :laffo:

Na at that point Pillman was hosed on pills due to the car accident

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Matlock posted:

Bret wasn't a "massive drug addict", one would presume.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Bret's only addiction was having sex with ring rats.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Bret's only addiction was having sex with ring rats.

And himself.

Bret was addicted to Bret.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

And himself.

Bret was addicted to Bret.

Are you saying Bret screwed Bret?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

Are you saying Bret screwed Bret?

Bret *would* screw Bret but Bret cannot screw Bret. Alberta causes shrinkage.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Bret *would* screw Bret but Bret cannot screw Bret. Alberta causes shrinkage.

If you were gonna give Canada an enema you'd stick the hose right in Rimbey!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

simosimo posted:

I have Austin's on my kindle, but am I bit worried it's going to read poo poo after coming from such great books.

Austin's book is beyond terrible. I mean, it's just a genuinely terrible read. It's billed as being written by Austin and JR, but Dennis Brent is the ghostwriter, and the voice is just completely off. (I'm not exaggerating when I say that nearly every single paragraph ends with a whitewashing of the prior five sentences and an exclamation point. As in, "My first wife and I had some problems, blah blah blah blah blah. But it was an experience that made me stronger!")

Mick Foley wrote in Foley is Good about how horrified he was when he saw the first chapter from the ghostwriter that the WWF gave him for Have a Nice Day!, which prompted him to write the book himself. Austin's book is what happens when you let the ghostwriter do his thing.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

triplexpac posted:

It was just to give the cruiserweights something to do. It basically revolved around Eddie and his cronies attacking Rey and trying to force him to join, as far as I remember.

Yeah and didnt rey finally join and then the NWO came in and said "stop being the LWO" and everyone stopped except for Rey and then Rey got beat down.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The most :staredog: part of Bret's book is when he's talking about a tour of Israel:

"I was particularly amazed by the imprint of a human hand in a white stone wall. Dorit (the tour guide) told me it was said that Jesus leaned there while carrying the cross. My hand fit inside the imprint.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling p 340

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DAS Super! posted:

Yeah and didnt rey finally join and then the NWO came in and said "stop being the LWO" and everyone stopped except for Rey and then Rey got beat down.
That's exactly what happened. Rey hated being in the LWO until he was told not to be, at which point he was like, "I'm not taking off this shirt. It's not the right time for me." WCW, everybody.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The most :staredog: part of Bret's book is when he's talking about a tour of Israel:

"I was particularly amazed by the imprint of a human hand in a white stone wall. Dorit (the tour guide) told me it was said that Jesus leaned there while carrying the cross. My hand fit inside the imprint.

One of my fav. lines was when he comparing his fans to Hulk's fans, and he was like "My fans were different. Like they really believed in me as a person". Seriously BARF time!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

ColeM posted:

One of my fav. lines was when he comparing his fans to Hulk's fans, and he was like "My fans were different. Like they really believed in me as a person". Seriously BARF time!

That one woman in Wrestling with Shadows said that Bret inspired her to go back to school for computer graphics.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That one woman in Wrestling with Shadows said that Bret inspired her to go back to school for computer graphics.

Compare that to all the cancer kids that Hulk Hogan inspired to die.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Was Bret going to go over to England and bodyslam all the rioters like Hogan was?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah, but he'll be teaming up with them in heaven. You don't see Bret promising that.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Z-Magic posted:

Yeah, but he'll be teaming up with them in heaven. You don't see Bret promising that.
There's never been a right time to say goodbye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Z-Magic posted:

Hulk Hogan needs to be a man

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just bought that book yesterday. I love how it's like

"Then I had a match with X who was the greatest wrestler and was really nice and tought me a whole bunch. He did his signature move, and he was such a pro he barely touched me, but I sold the hell out of it.

After that we all went home and had a shower. Keith and Smith pissed in my and Owen's mouths. But the worst was peeing in your eyes, it stung like crazy."

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
WWE Vintage just showed World War 3, the one where The Giant wins. The camera work was atrocious, with three camera going at the same time crammed into one screen. At one point, two cameras were following exactly the same thing (Curt Hennig being elimated) but from the different angles, so we saw two different shots of Hennig's butt hitting the mat.

Poor Bobby Heenan said, right after the Giant won, "This is the greatest pay per view I've ever seen in my life."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Psychlone posted:

Poor Bobby Heenan said, right after the Giant won, "This is the greatest pay per view I've ever seen in my life."

That type of bullshit completely ruined any credibility that the announce team had. Surely they had to realize that calling every night the greatest night in pro wrestling history had to look silly, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Astro7x posted:

That type of bullshit completely ruined any credibility that the announce team had. Surely they had to realize that calling every night the greatest night in pro wrestling history had to look silly, right?

To be fair I am pretty sure Bobby was drinking the entire time he was in WCW