Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Alright, I finally finished burning through this. Overall it was excellent with the exception of Forest Whitaker, who was absolutely terrible. It seemed like he came up with a character he was going to play before he read any of his lines and then refused to reconsider.

Season 1 was mediocre. Season 2-4 were outstanding. 5-6 were pretty good. 7 was a mixed bag of great and bad. The impact of the ending was blunted by the cartoonish impossibility of it, but all the sideplots were great.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who said to stick with it, because I originally gave up on it after the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

cornface posted:

Overall it was excellent with the exception of Forest Whitaker, who was absolutely terrible.

You are so wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Ktik posted:

You are so wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!

I hate to say this, but I agree with him. I didn't like Whitaker, but I think it's because he bothers me as a person, his performance was probably fine. His voice really grated on me, especially when he was trying to be really intense, the staccato of his voice was really irritating. But I'm admittedly sensitive to stupid stuff. The scene where he was offering gum to what's her name sticks out in my mind as the worst. I was thinking in my head, 'stop talking like that, it's creepy! You're creepy!'. But I expect he was supposed to be and therefore did his job.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

when worlds collide posted:

I hate to say this, but I agree with him. I didn't like Whitaker, but I think it's because he bothers me as a person, his performance was probably fine. His voice really grated on me, especially when he was trying to be really intense, the staccato of his voice was really irritating. But I'm admittedly sensitive to stupid stuff. The scene where he was offering gum to what's her name sticks out in my mind as the worst. I was thinking in my head, 'stop talking like that, it's creepy! You're creepy!'. But I expect he was supposed to be and therefore did his job.

Yeah, that was what I meant for the most part. Like I said, he seemed to have this character picked out that didn't match the dialog he had, especially in the beginning. It made more sense towards the end of his run but by that point I was just sick of him. I think also his coming on the heels of the other guest star started feeling a little like Dexter, in a bad way.

It is a small thing, though. Looking forward to the day when Kurt Sutter hits his head and forgets that montages exist, though.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I hated Whittaker and he annoyed me but I think that was the point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I hated Whittaker and he annoyed me but I think that was the point.

Yeah, I love him as an actor, and I wanted Kavanaugh to be brutally murdered by... anyone, really.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I love him as an actor, and I wanted Kavanaugh to be brutally murdered by... anyone, really.

Guess I'm in the minority because I loved his character, he made season 5, and him planting evidence on Vic I thought was an amazing turn, but that only lasted an episode. He had some incredibly powerful moments, especially when he confronts his crazy ex-wife and ends up arresting Lem on the spot.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

CortezFantastic posted:

Guess I'm in the minority because I loved his character, he made season 5, and him planting evidence on Vic I thought was an amazing turn, but that only lasted an episode. He had some incredibly powerful moments, especially when he confronts his crazy ex-wife and ends up arresting Lem on the spot.

I loved what he contributed to the story too, he was a great antagonist as an anti-villain that I don't remember any examples of good guys we hate so much. I don't mean any antagonist in a story where an anti-hero is the protagonist, this was on a different level. It is pretty awesome how it explores how perceptions change or become reality.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I loved what he contributed to the story too, he was a great antagonist as an anti-villain that I don't remember any examples of good guys we hate so much. I don't mean any antagonist in a story where an anti-hero is the protagonist, this was on a different level. It is pretty awesome how it explores how perceptions change or become reality.

"Anti-villian" is the perfect way to describe him, such an ultra rare character type

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Just started season 6. We've enjoyed the show but I think the implausibility of a lot of these scenarios we're given detract from it. I guess that's where the Wire has sort of spoiled me (until the final season anyways) in that I felt it strove for ultra-realism. Granted I get that the only thing the two shows had in common were the fact that they were shows about cops the 'points' of each show couldn't be more different. Still, the way the Wire handled the actual X's and O's of police work spoiled me on a show like the Shield.

So many things went down in the dumbest way possible. Spoilers if you aren't up to season 6 (which is what we just started)

Kavanaugh setting up shop in Billings office - no Captain would allow that and no Chief would allow it either.

Any lawyer, I mean any lawyer, would be able to quickly show a pattern of harassment with Kavanaugh that there is just no way he would have been allowed to continue his investigation - especially after blowing the sting operation.

Carrin(sp?) not immediately pressing charges the moment Kavanaugh came over and touched her.

Everything that went down with Antoine Mitchell. Two cops had their guns used to kill a girl and then didn't report it for weeks. That sort of poo poo just wouldn't fly without serious repercussions for Shane and his partner.

Every single moment someone in the show talked to the cops or IAD without a lawyer present. The Strike Team not all having their own lawyers from the start, etc, etc.

I guess I just wish that things had gone down slightly more realistically. Either that or I just wish I had watched this show before I watched the Wire.

It's still a pretty good show but a lot of these inconsistencies/plot holes remind me I'm watching a basic cable show sometimes.

Also - At some point Claudette started looking remarkably like Bill Cosby and Dutch rules.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Finished season 6 last night. Have read this thread in it's entirity and am so glad people stuck to spoiler tags. Although I suspect 1 or 2 might have snuck through, I'm confident I'm heading into season 7 with no clue what's ahead.

Season 6 spoilers.
I thought Kavanaugh setting up in Billings office was perfect. It showed what a complete tool Billings was. When Claudette became Captain she kicked his rear end out - shows the difference between the two characters. And with his lawsuit at the end of season 6?! Can't believe he ended that season with the upper-hand... he single-handidly messed with Dutch, the new Strike Team lead, the hot cop and the entire department!

Corrin... I somehow missed what Kavanaugh did. When Vic approached her and asked "Did he touch you?" I fully thought the visit had been completely innocent. Thank god they actually showed a flashback or I would've assumed Corrin was filing false charges!

Season 4 and 5 have been my favourites so far. Initially I didn't like Glen Close's casting but it turned out to be fantastic. Probably my favourite Captain.
And Dutch... he's been consistantly awesome. Him breaking down after Miracle Joe's death was definitely the high-point. That little subplot took me by surprise... I've seen a lot of cop docos where they buddy-up to the long-time homeless and I never expected The Shield to give that aspect of the job a nod. One of the many, many things I love about this series.
I also suspect it sets the stage for season 7 opening with him and that sergeant finally getting together.

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just started season 1, I'm 3 episodes in. The pilot was pretty good, though weirdly it seemed kind of early-2000s dated with the shakycam and Kid Rock soundtrack. I must be getting old, reminded me of high school.

I'm a huge fan The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Mad Men, etc and The Shield is probably the only 'big' acclaimed show I haven't seen yet. Looking forward to it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LifelongFan posted:

Just started season 1, I'm 3 episodes in. The pilot was pretty good, though weirdly it seemed kind of early-2000s dated with the shakycam and Kid Rock soundtrack.
Well it did start in 2002, so theres that.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

LifelongFan posted:

Just started season 1, I'm 3 episodes in. The pilot was pretty good, though weirdly it seemed kind of early-2000s dated with the shakycam and Kid Rock soundtrack. I must be getting old, reminded me of high school.

The first season and the pilot in particular had a few hiccups before things settled down. Bawittabaw was definitely one of those. On the whole though the writers did a pretty good job with their use of music. Hopefully you'll agree after episode 8.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also there is one episode that happens in season one that they will never repeat the tone of and subject matter.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also there is one episode that happens in season one that they will never repeat the tone of and subject matter.
which are you referring to? It's been 10 years ( holy poo poo, 10 years?) since I watched the first season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

which are you referring to? It's been 10 years ( holy poo poo, 10 years?) since I watched the first season.

Cherrypoppers Chicklis did not like the content

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Now I've got this idea that Vic Mackey is known as Cherrypoppers Chicklis in real life.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Previously, on The Shield:

Suck eet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Parachute posted:

Previously, on The Shield:

Suck eet.

He made you.... suck

Blackmail Box Blackmail Box Blackmail Box

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

bobkatt013 posted:

Well in fairness the same type of content pops back up every now and then ("When am I gonna get to bust a nut?", butterfly tattoos, 98 Degrees band posters***), but you're right the Law and Order SUV tone disappears and Chiky is more separated from those cases.

I remember having a discussion with Dead Snoopy about that topic (Cherry Poppers) after he mistakenly thought it was Danny's actress that objected--when she actually had objected to that stuff in general (IIRC and pilot stuff mostly) but was okay eventually while it was Chiky who really had problems with the episode CP. Kinda interesting since the first episode had Vic "offering up" his daughter Cassidy to the "domination control pedophile" while Cass is played by Chiklis's actual daughter. Anyway, for anyone who's interested, the commentary tracks on the first season discuses these behind the scenes things (mostly the pilot and CP)

***Super Shield fan trivia time!!!! Any poster that can identify the three moments I'm referencing will win a gold star and the grand prize---full immunity from all crimes confessed to. I suggest probably wanna use spoiler tags for the explanations due to courtesy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

("When am I gonna get to bust a nut?", butterfly tattoos, 98 Degrees band posters***),

***Super Shield fan trivia time!!!! Any poster that can identify the three moments I'm referencing will win a gold star and the grand prize---full immunity from all crimes confessed to. I suggest probably wanna use spoiler tags for the explanations due to courtesy.

Bust a nut was the foster kid who raped the other foster girl then she had bleach poured down her throat by the other foster kids to cover the evidence I think.

Butterfly tattoos was Armadillo raping the girl and tattooing her cheek after he found out she helped the strike team with info or something or other

98 degrees was Billings recognizing a 98 degrees poster that his daughter had that was inside a pedophiles house that he made up to look like a kids room.

The last one might be off a bit I need to rewatch the series again soon.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

drat. Way quicker than I expected, nice job.

You definitely get credit for the last one, although to more accurately describe it, the pedo was preserving his own runaway daughter's room and using it for his rapes/"go back home convincing" but your description is accurate enough that you clearly knew the reference and everything else is just spot on.

Good job. Gold star won and confess away to your crimes... Do you have any idea what you've done to me?

I'm thinking about writing up way more trivia for fun later and maybe doing an official quiz on one of those crappy quiz websites. I'll definitely post it for y'all if I do.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

truther posted:

Corrin... I somehow missed what Kavanaugh did. When Vic approached her and asked "Did he touch you?" I fully thought the visit had been completely innocent. Thank god they actually showed a flashback or I would've assumed Corrin was filing false charges!

Wasn't there a problem where that episode ran for longer in the broadcast version but not in the dvds?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Good job. Gold star won and Do you have any idea what you've done to me?

I've done worse.

Also, lookin forward to more trivia.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Well in fairness the same type of content pops back up every now and then ("When am I gonna get to bust a nut?", butterfly tattoos, 98 Degrees band posters***), but you're right the Law and Order SUV tone disappears and Chiky is more separated from those cases.

They were dove tattoos! The little girl dropped her butterfly hair clip in the interrogation room which was how Armadillo knew she was snitching on him. :eng101:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

They were dove tattoos! The little girl dropped her butterfly hair clip in the interrogation room which was how Armadillo knew she was snitching on him. :eng101:

True. I'm glad that somebody pre-emptively reconfirmed my thoughts.

New quiz topic: funniest moments of the Shield

First offering-"Dude, she's not even that hot!"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ratatozsk posted:

True. I'm glad that somebody pre-emptively reconfirmed my thoughts.

New quiz topic: funniest moments of the Shield

First offering-"Dude, she's not even that hot!"
When Vic made some bad guy write out a suicide note or something but purposely made him mispell something.

"Too bad, looks like youre gonne die a bad speller"

Probably butchered it but its been a while since I watched.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Cage posted:

When Vic made some bad guy write out a suicide note or something but purposely made him mispell something.

"Too bad, looks like youre gonne die a bad speller"

Probably butchered it but its been a while since I watched.

LIFE SUX

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd post a funny moment, but I need to get some food first.

For you see... I'm hungry.

Like the wolf.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Jerusalem posted:

I'd post a funny moment, but I need to get some food first.

For you see... I'm hungry.

Like the wolf.

That was the first thing I thought of.

Anyway, the only trivia I have is that Kristen Bell was the person who talked about the dove tattoo to the Strike Team.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TUS posted:

That was the first thing I thought of.

Anyway, the only trivia I have is that Kristen Bell was the person who talked about the dove tattoo to the Strike Team.

She also had a headblowing cameo in Deadwood

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

C'mon Roy, that dog had a piece and he was gonna use it!

:smith: Scoobie got his name in this scene

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm watching the series finale again and I love how you can hear so much emotion in Walton Goggins' voice when he's talking to Vic (after he finds out Vic has a deal with ICE).

I haven't watched The Shield in a while, but have been following Justified religiously, and I forgot how different he is in the 2 shows.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barbe Rouge posted:

I'm watching the series finale again and I love how you can hear so much emotion in Walton Goggins' voice when he's talking to Vic (after he finds out Vic has a deal with ICE).

I haven't watched The Shield in a while, but have been following Justified religiously, and I forgot how different he is in the 2 shows.

He is a more competent, less racist shane

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

He is a more competent, less racist shane

Sorry, but I disagree.

Shane has zero charisma for me, while Boyd is practically overflowing with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barbe Rouge posted:

Sorry, but I disagree.

Shane has zero charisma for me, while Boyd is practically overflowing with it.

I think we are both agreeing Boyd is a less raciest more competent shane and he also has a lot more charisma.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

As I said, I disagree.

If he's a charismatic, intelligent, competent, criminal (yeah, Shane was a dirty cop, but Boyd is a Harlan crime lord right now), less racist Shane, then what does he have in common with Shane?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Boyd's a leader, Shane's a follower. That's all you have to really understand about the two characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

Boyd's a leader, Shane's a follower. That's all you have to really understand about the two characters.

With the extra detail of intimidation and hero worshiping of Vic.

Of course in Shane's case he gets the whole strike team in trouble throughout the series since he makes careless mistakes and also unlike Vic is prone to use violence/torture just because he can.

In Vic's case he only used things such as violence and torture just because his standard intimidation tactic or other types of manipulation didn't get the criminal to become his catspaw.

• Locked thread