Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

nemoulette posted:

why do 10th planet dudes wear gi pants

comfortable to grapple in and less skin on skin contact would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

comfortable to grapple in and less skin on skin contact would be my guess.
But it gives you a false sense of friction which you won't have when competing in no gi

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
It's probably more like "well we bought these gis before we did no-gi only so at least I can get some use out of the pants."

You should be allowed to wear pretty much whatever the gently caress you want anyway, like ADCC.
There are some "for everyone" non-ibjjf tournaments that give you some lenience in dress-code though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

nemoulette posted:

But it gives you a false sense of friction which you won't have when competing in no gi

Yeah, I'd prefer a pair of compression pant's if I was trying to avoid skin contact.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Who Gotch Ya posted:

It's probably more like "well we bought these gis before we did no-gi only so at least I can get some use out of the pants."

You should be allowed to wear pretty much whatever the gently caress you want anyway, like ADCC.
There are some "for everyone" non-ibjjf tournaments that give you some lenience in dress-code though.
didn't Bravo abandon the gi a pretty long time ago? It just strikes me as weird since I never see non-10th planet people in clips with that sort of rigout other than those submission 101 jerks. If anything, I see no offensive benefit (since you can't grab the fabric) other than possibly the hygienic aspect.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

nemoulette posted:

didn't Bravo abandon the gi a pretty long time ago? It just strikes me as weird since I never see non-10th planet people in clips with that sort of rigout other than those submission 101 jerks. If anything, I see no offensive benefit (since you can't grab the fabric) other than possibly the hygienic aspect.

Sub101 are tenth planet affiliated

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I tweeted the question to bravo, maybe we'll get an answer :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think he prefers the gi pants because of the friction in the guard.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I think he prefers the gi pants because of the friction in the guard.

He's come out and said so. This is also why whenever you see 10th planet guys competing no gi they were either tights or ankle/knee braces(or both).

Lockdown chat - I don't like the lockdown because I feel like it limits my mobility too much(incidentally Jean Jacques Machado feels the same way, when we did specific sparring from half guard he would tell people not to use lockdown during those rounds).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I too am from a Machado school and everyone here knows the lockdown and can generally deal with it without much drama. I do believe Eddie has said that if you catch the lockdown and just sit there, "you're do'in it wrong", so I don't think its the lockdown being bad so much as its people reading the first paragraph of a book and applying the move without context or any gameplan for step 2.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I see too many white/blue belts using the lockdown as a crutch to stop other white/blue belts passing their guard and not really learning a whole lot.

Braulio showed a mindblowing simple way to open up and pass the lockdown in class not too long ago. While shifting back slightly, position your free leg underneath the lockdown and lift it. With the whole thing elevated there should now be nothing securing the lockdown so you can just slide out and put your shin down flat. As a bonus, if they uncross their ankles and try to switch their legs back to a regular half-guard, there can be a brief window where it's weak enough to mule kick your leg backwards and pass.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Xguard86 posted:

I too am from a Machado school and everyone here knows the lockdown and can generally deal with it without much drama. I do believe Eddie has said that if you catch the lockdown and just sit there, "you're do'in it wrong", so I don't think its the lockdown being bad so much as its people reading the first paragraph of a book and applying the move without context or any gameplan for step 2.

When we have been taught the lockdown, though they never used that term, it was just as the first step of a sort of sweep.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I(and I think Jean Jacques) aren't talking about how people using it to stall so much as it really limiting your mobility.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I think a lot of people underestimate the lockdown. It's not just for when you're lying on your back and keeping someone flat, you can put it on at pretty much any time from a half guard position. If someone has a high half guard on you and are trying to work some annoying choke, you can put on the lockdown and easily pull them off, it'll be there for you!
You don't always have to be extending your legs to the maximum of your ability either, you can keep it on loose and use it to control and feint before you finally go for the whip-up or something, there's a lot of options.
I don't really feel like it limits your mobility more than a lot of other techniques where you dedicate limbs. It's just a transitional move like any other.

Maybe I just like terrible techniques, because one of my go to positions is the Z guard. It's just so easy to get the knee in there, and so annoying for everyone else, so why not.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

nemoulette posted:

why do 10th planet dudes wear gi pants

Already answered but at the start of the book he talks at length how when you start working out you get too sweaty to properly apply the lockdown and other moves using the legs.

The Gi Pants give added friction to the legs while at the same time not limiting what you can do. He doesn't like the Gi because of the jacket more than the pants.

George Sotiropolis wears compression shorts under his normal shorts with ankle and knee supports when he fights to create as much friction as he can, Joe Lauzon whined like a bitch about it before their fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

I think a lot of people underestimate the lockdown. It's not just for when you're lying on your back and keeping someone flat, you can put it on at pretty much any time from a half guard position.

You certainly can, but if you put it on when you're not already on your side, the position of your legs and hips makes it very difficult to get up on your side without letting it go. Similarly if you are on your side and put it on and your opponent flattens you, you're going to have a hell of a time getting back on your side without letting it go. Since the vast majority of high percentage moves from half guard are launched from getting onto your side, devoting a lot of time as a beginner to a technique that makes it very difficult to do so can retard your development.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
As a sort of abstract technique, it probably isn't something a beginner should be spending too much time learning when there is so many fundamentals they need to get down, but I definitely think it's something you should learn, if only so you can learn how to counter it. While perhaps not something for a 6 month white belt, it definitely has its place in jujitsu, and it's not a Bad Technique.

Oh, and Bravo got back to me.
"hey dude, i'm curious, what's the deal with the gi pants when you otherwise forswear the gi?"

Now we know, I guess

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Did my first kimura-attempt-into-sweep the other night. drat but Our Gay Sport is so much fun.

It looks like my gym also has a no-gi sport sambo class that runs a couple times a week. That sounds weird enough to be really interesting.

that sounds like its just a bunch of dudes wearing nothing but terry cloth short shorts just sorta hanging around

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
Rolling no-gi last night my opponent was inside my closed guard and had gripped around my head/arm (like someone might do from side-control) and I found that I couldn't sweep from that position, and he was stronger than me enough that I couldn't break his grip around my arm/head.

I was trying to duck his arm and take his back but couldn't get out from under. I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
What should I have done?

I ended up sinking a triangle (but he was saved by the bell) but only because he eventually tried to pass guard. If he hadn't tried to pass I would have just been stuck there.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

quote:

my opponent was inside my closed guard...

...I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
Does not compute (even if it felt like it to you) unless your opponent was literally double your weight. Assuming the weight difference wasn't that insane:

Short answer - speak to your instructor.

Long answer - someone in your closed guard voluntarily putting their arm under your head is a ridiculous gift. You have a ton of options for sweeps, armbars, triangles, omoplatas etc. from that position and without seeing first hand why you felt stuck exactly it's hard to say which ones your opponent was gifting. Ask your instructor to talk you through the position (ideally using the same training partner who you were with in the first place so that he learns why he shouldn't do that).

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Rids! posted:

Rolling no-gi last night my opponent was inside my closed guard and had gripped around my head/arm (like someone might do from side-control) and I found that I couldn't sweep from that position, and he was stronger than me enough that I couldn't break his grip around my arm/head.

I was trying to duck his arm and take his back but couldn't get out from under. I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
What should I have done?

I ended up sinking a triangle (but he was saved by the bell) but only because he eventually tried to pass guard. If he hadn't tried to pass I would have just been stuck there.
Can you find a picture or draw something to show how he was gripping your head/arm because I can't visualize it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If I have this right in my mind you're saying he had an underhook under one arm with the other arm around your neck gripping his own hands?

Unless he's an exceedingly tall feller I imagine you'd have been stacked a little bit with your guard closed.

Unless he was crushing you pretty hard I imagine you'd have had the pendulumn open, the butterfly or even the opportunity to look for an arm bar or ompaplata. If you're flexible enough rather than going outside with your triangle choke you probably could've pulled it under.

Sounds like he might have just been too big and crushing you. In that case I love using the butterfly since it works on bigger guys, especially if their weight is forward on you.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rids! posted:

What should I have done?

If his arm is under your head, can't you scoot out that way and take his back?
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIs-qpQnnM
Granted, it's from half-guard, but it still should apply.

EDIT:
then to break the grip:
[video type="youtube" start="199s"]/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WtATPMfk630[/video]
again, more or less - the framing should be able to bust your way out of there.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 18, 2012

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Rids! posted:

What should I have done?

If you can, try flipping one leg in to a butterfly instead of closed guard. Counter-hug to make sure he stays anchored to your shoulders. Instead of a normal single-butterfly sweep (which probably won't work due to being pinned down), use your free leg to push your partner's knee away from yourself. So, instead of trying to move or flip them, you use the fact that they've locked down their upper body to yours, and corkscrew their hips.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
When someone goes head and arm from the top of your guard, control their hips with your feet

widunder
May 2, 2002

Ridleys Revenge posted:

When someone goes head and arm from the top of your guard, control their hips with your feet
Yeah it's basically impossible for someone to control from within your closed guard like that, save for passing or a can opener or something similar. Beginners who go for kimuras from inside my guard is good fun.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

also push their head down and off to one side of your hip. That, combined with getting your feet on their hips gives you all the leverage you need to scoot out to the side and avoid getting crushed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Got my first open mat roll in today after joining an MMA gym this week. (I'd gone to one for a couple of months two or three years ago but ended up moving out of town and just got back into it)

First roll was with another white belt and I made him tap with an Americana that we'd gone over in class on Thursday night and I was so happy. :dance: We went again for about 5 minutes and he pretty much dominated me from there on out but wasn't able to sub me.

After that I rolled with a higher belt that of course worked me over but gave me awesome helpful advice at every step of the way. (and I was pleased in that I was at least able to apply the defensive fundamentals that I know to make him have to work for it and slow him down...which he gave me props for)

God its good to be back, and I'd sure as hell forgotten how much of a workout rolling is. Honestly I was gassed 5 minutes in.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Got my copies of Jiu Jitsu University and Drill to Win in the mail the other day. How I love Our Gay Sport.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Didn't see this one posted anywhere, but here's a video of Marcelo rolling with Jake Shields in Gis. Marcelo sweeps him immediately and it's the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2szZe0G8mwM

Audio is broke or something so mute it and play your favorite hip hop rap track instead.

edit: The sweep to side mount at 4:08 is pretty much the raddest poo poo ever.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 25, 2012

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Words of wisdom from Mario Sperry

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sorry to ask the often asked question but I've spent about half an hour trying through the search feature and google to find good gi websites but I'm not having much luck.

Going to be doing some gi BJJ as well this year and I'm gonna need me some pyjamas.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

BlindSite posted:

Sorry to ask the often asked question but I've spent about half an hour trying through the search feature and google to find good gi websites but I'm not having much luck.

Going to be doing some gi BJJ as well this year and I'm gonna need me some pyjamas.
Do you mean reviews of various gis or which websites you can order stuff from?

This website has a number of reviews on various gis.

As for distribution companies...
http://www.freestylecustoms.net/
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php
http://www.jiujitsuprogear.com/
http://www.brazilianfightwear.com/
http://www.mmawarehouse.com/
http://www.matrat.us/

Personally I prefer Judo gis as I can can a double weave for much cheaper.

**Edit
Some BJJ and Judo gis do not come with a belt. So make sure to get one if you need to.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Also Aesopian just did a massive online survey of gi owner satisfaction and so forth.

http://bjjgear.aesopian.com/

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cheers guys

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dear Grapplers, a math equasion:

Pride + Bad Technique + 10 seconds left in the round = Injury.

Mods please change my name to "Don't loving Cross your Ankles in Back Mount". Thanks!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

genki_sudo posted:

I'm going to the USA as the head coach of Japan's National wrestling team.

genki_sudo posted:

Dave Schultz Memorial International wrestling game at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Drewjitsu posted:

Dear Grapplers, a math equasion:

Pride + Bad Technique + 10 seconds left in the round = Injury.

Mods please change my name to "Don't loving Cross your Ankles in Back Mount". Thanks!

What happened? Did your opponent cross his legs over your feet and ankle lock you?
Sorry to hear about your injury :(

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

beadgc posted:

What happened? Did your opponent cross his legs over your feet and ankle lock you?
Sorry to hear about your injury :(

Yeah, this. I had a palm to palm choke while he was ankle locking me. I had one hook on the inner thigh, and the other hook was on the same leg, just on the outside (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B3eRddYiHH4#t=64s), and I thought about going to the body triangle. Just as I was thinking about that, I slipped the palm to palm choke and totally forgot about my feet (which then crossed). 10 seconds to go, I felt him give the ankle lock 100%, and then back off, and it wasn't too bad. With about 3 seconds to go, my coach told me to give it 100 on the choke, which added pressure to the system, and my ankle popped with about a second and a half to go.

I distinctly remember thinking to myself that I wasn't going to tap to the ankle lock.

It's not super bad, right now, still have most of the mobility, we'll see how this ends up two weeks from now. I can still walk on it, etc. Just frustrating stuff, I never usually cross my ankles in rear mount :(

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i hope the dave schultz invitational is full of cheating and kimuras