Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I am quite happy to take the cheap kill from legging the Coordinator if it means I actually contributed something to the battle. It is a shame the ejection seat on my 'mech seems to have been faulty, but perhaps it is better this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Targetting computer, immobile opponent, everything in short range.

The only thing stopping me from sniping out the dragons' cockpit on a 2+ is that the mission is over.

Edit: and not that it matters anymore, but did P4 end up prone in the water? It should've been fine with breached torsos in L1 water, unless you're just taking artistic license, in which case its all good.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 28, 2012

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The only thing stopping me from sniping out the dragons' cockpit on a 2+ is that the mission is over.

It's not over, you still have to 'escape' for the secondary objective to count.

Make it count, shoot the cockpit of the Draconis Combine Coordinator.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
LOL, man that was a rather amusing way for Takashi to drop; the image of a limbless charred Dragon hitting the ground is pretty funny. In some ways I expect dying outright would have been far less humiliating for him.

And hey, let's hear it for the Ilkhan dying like a champ; he's the one whose shots took out Takashi's legs in the end. Taking out the head of your enemies even as you die under massive fire is definitely the manly way to go by Clan standards. And folks were worried he would come out looking bad (well, OK, I suppose his corpse isn't that pretty now...).

Well, it cost big time but you apparently got Takashi well enough to win (guessing the demoralizing effect will be enough, or maybe he'll do the belly-slitting thing). Time to run away at max speed/avoidance of LOS and see if you can make it for the secondary objective (it's not cowardice if you're just making sure someone can tell it for the Rememberance!). Not that impossible an objective with Gargoyles I think. Unless you have a chance to flat-out run max distance in a straight line(preferably into cover), jump every chance you get for the move modifier.

AtomikKrab posted:

You are not escaping, try to wipe Yorinaga.

No. The remaining Kuritas are gonna go BERSERK on you at this point, do not waste what you won. At most, one of you can hang back to cover the other falling back; whichever of you has least damage at this point should be the one booking in that case. But honestly, just get out of there and deny the Kuritas any vengeance.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Mission isn't over, you still need to try to escape.

I suggest you finish the job properly. Get next to him somehow and just unload everything as aimed shots into the dragon's head.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Why not just go finish the job with the remaining Gargoyle?

I agree. You are not escaping alive. The Coordinator is still alive in there, and is immobile.

DFA THAT MOTHERFUCKER

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Well, the solution to make sure this works is for our last player to stand still and empty everything he has into the crippled Dragon. He's got 1 armor and 9 IS on his CT, and 9 IS on his LT. He's immobile for a -4.

An alpha strike will almost certainly kill him.

Seconding this. It's not like the last remaining mech will make it back home, not with four gauss rifles aimed at his back. Better to make sure the target is dead-dead.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

MadDogMike posted:

No. The remaining Kuritas are gonna go BERSERK on you at this point, do not waste what you won. At most, one of you can hang back to cover the other falling back; whichever of you has least damage at this point should be the one booking in that case. But honestly, just get out of there and deny the Kuritas any vengeance.

There's one remaining player 'mech, all the others are dead or incapacitated. This 'mech has an open-air cockpit currently and Yorinaga Kurita on his rear end + several DC 'mechs looking for revenge. He is not getting more than another turn.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Give the victory more than just a veneer of legitimacy: Kill the Coordinator!

The others are right; You aren't getting away from here, anyway.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The coordinator isn't dead yet. One head of state for another. Finish the job! (you're doomed anyway)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Edit: and not that it matters anymore, but did P4 end up prone in the water? It should've been fine with breached torsos in L1 water, unless you're just taking artistic license, in which case its all good.

P4 took 3 engine hits.

Also, it would be higher than 2 to hit the Dragon if you aim for the head. Head is a +3 to the TH, not the standard -4 for immobile target. Even after you still need to roll the 6-8 to hit the aimed loc. Add to that the Atlas guarding it. Probably easier to just target the CT or attempt to complete the secondary. If you somehow survive next turn you have a legit shot of escaping behind line of sight.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 28, 2012

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Uhh. PTN, are you using the punch table for partial cover hits, or was that just a really, really bad set of location rolls?

edit: yeah, I just realized that. I was reading too much into the fluff piece instead of the actual combat log, which I'm looking at now.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I doubt you're going to make it to the river hexes... You've got jumpjets, which may help, but you're still going to be in range of a decent amount of firepower for a turn or three before you get there. And once you do get there it's likely there are pissed-off SRM wielding yakuza in the buildings.

I say march over to the downed Dragon, alpha it, and kick it for good measure. Or alpha the dragon from where you are and attempt to DFA Yorinaga, if that's possible mechanics-wise. The ilKhan's orders were to escape once the target was dead... He's not dead yet, a warrior eager to die in battle would have no problem stretching the meaning and getting himself a glorious death.

Plus, think of the morale destruction there. The last remaining clanner not only finishes off their Dear Leader, but kamikaze charges Yorinaga with his last breath. Drac troops are *NOT* going to want to gently caress with that level of crazy, unless martyrdom and suicide-vests are BT canon.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Yyyyyeah..... you're not going to live through this even if you jumped max for the river. Not with all that gauss at your back, as has been said. Do what you can to make sure the Coordinator is dead. Though I'd advise against DFA or charging; your weapons can do more than a DFA would, especially if with the TC you can call shot to his head. And you can always kick him in the physical phase if you survive that long.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
That kicked over Atlas is pretty good. Make it better by finishing the Coordinator.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The mission was intended to humiliate, not kill - there's a reason it's called "Counting Coup," after all - but it'd still be hard to argue if P3 wanted to DFA "just to make sure."

'Course, give Hell's Horses a rep for headhunting enemy heads of state and you might cause the Sphereoids to actually smarten up and stop letting their rulers engage enemy 'Mechs in nigh-suicidal engagements. Hunting down Takashi might well be a bad idea, strategically (no matter how satisfying it would be).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah I am sorry PTN but I cannot believe this counts as a kill.

There is a pilot hit on the Dragon which PTN didn't resolve... or didn't resolve in public.

He also encouraged flight in the fluff text. Why nobody thinks he's being devious by listing the Coordinator's status as "Unknown" to encourage the surviving Gargoyle to take another round of shots and guarantee failing the secondary victory condition, instead of being devious to encourage the surviving Gargoyle to take his own advice, baffles me. PTN plays straight with the players. If the victory condition has been achieved, it's been achieved.

Bravo to him for creating a sense of tension and uncertainty over what will happen the turn AFTER that bloodbath.

I also can't help but love that after THIS mission someone thinks PTN made things too easy. Coordinator was just a big drat hero all over the place. If he survived, this performance would earn him major respect from the Clans as well as his own people. And we're not even sure yet if he did survive. If he did, coming out to fight himself was stupid and handing the players the win, it was awesome.

Looking forward to the next turn.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
There is only one option. FINISH THE JOB. :black101:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Pilot hits aren't like crits. They just add up and make consciousness rolls harder.

6 hits kills a pilot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Relevant facts:

1. the Dragon is not immobile.

2. DFA is the only thing :black101: enough to end this.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the defeat that's important, not necessarily the 'killing him.' He just took a tumble in a `Mech and he's not going to be in a position to countermand Samsonov's "CHARGE!" order.
He's got a working engine and a full head on his mech, he's in a perfect position to do it. Yorinaga is too. Heck, they're probably going to be crowing over the radios about how the Coordinator just demolished an entire Star solo, so everyone just trust in the Dragon's wisdom and stick to the plan.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The mission was intended to humiliate, not kill.

Actually, the primary objective was always 'Kill Takashi Kurita'.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Losing both legs is not immobile, just 0 move.

Also let me tell you guys something. Goonstar lost, they lost because if ptn did not throw the coordinator to you you would have lost more mechs getting to him, and then he would have killed you with tandem charge. You should thank your lucky stars PTN is throwing you a bone and letting you "complete" the mission.

I say ptn should let you try to finish the coordinator off, go out gloriously. DFA.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The secondary victory condition is a nigh-impossibility. Esp. with the Warhammer still active. Hell, his head has no armor so he can't even submerge. There is no escape for the Gargoyle.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Narsham posted:

I also can't help but love that after THIS mission someone thinks PTN made things too easy. Coordinator was just a big drat hero all over the place. If he survived, this performance would earn him major respect from the Clans as well as his own people. And we're not even sure yet if he did survive. If he did, coming out to fight himself was stupid and handing the players the win, it was awesome.

Looking forward to the next turn.

He absolutely did make things easy. While yes, Takashi would definitely charge out there, from a gameplay perspective it cheapens the players win. The second he walked into short range of 200+ damage the scenario was over. There is absolutely no way they could have lost that.

Not saying this to make the players feel bad or anything, but the second he charged out from cover the players were able to abandon any notion of tactics and just bum rush him knowing they had it in the bag.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Narsham posted:

There is a pilot hit on the Dragon which PTN didn't resolve... or didn't resolve in public.

Now that you mention it there is an unresolved critical hit in the center torso of the Grand Dragon as well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tiny posted:

Or alpha the dragon from where you are and attempt to DFA Yorinaga, if that's possible mechanics-wise.

It's not; initiating a charge or a DFA prevents you from shooting in that same turn.

Also, you still have a chance to make it out of here.

It's a snowball's chance in Hell, but it's still a chance.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, 2 clan omni kills, one the ilkhan and the other an assault. (You know the stormcrow kill is getting credited to the coordinator, and possibly not wrongly.)

Least humiliating defeat ever.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Now that you mention it there is an unresolved critical hit in the center torso of the Grand Dragon as well.

These Should be Resolved, it should not be over, the garg should go out in a blaze of glory killing him.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

AtomikKrab posted:

Losing both legs is not immobile, just 0 move.

Also let me tell you guys something. Goonstar lost, they lost because if ptn did not throw the coordinator to you you would have lost more mechs getting to him, and then he would have killed you with tandem charge. You should thank your lucky stars PTN is throwing you a bone and letting you "complete" the mission.

I say ptn should let you try to finish the coordinator off, go out gloriously. DFA.

You know other people probably agree with you but they either chose not to say anything or explain themselves more tactfully like Knoxzone does. Just because you can piss in the players cornflakes doesn't mean you should.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Trast posted:

You know other people probably agree with you but they either chose not to say anything or explain themselves more tactfully like Knoxzone does. Just because you can piss in the players cornflakes doesn't mean you should.

I pretty much have no tact at all so errr whatever, and sometimes people need to have their cornflakes pissed in. Other than SD the players did not do too badly but they still should not have won.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Keru posted:

Actually, the primary objective was always 'Kill Takashi Kurita'.

And it says "Sucess" next to the objective. So he's dead.

Garg should ignore chucklefucks like Krab and try to complete the secondary.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, you still have a chance to make it out of here.

It's a snowball's chance in Hell, but it's still a chance.

I'd disagree there - I couldn't even begin to figure out the odds of that. P3, even moving in the best possible ways, is going to spend at LEAST two full turns under fire from the Gauss brigade. After that point it's either 1) spend another two under Gauss fire to get around the buildings or 2) charge straight through a HD building and pray the Jenner doesn't completely block him off (it would). PTN's dice luck is nowhere near bad enough to make that even a million to one shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guys, guys, let's not blame this on anyone. Or at least anyone currently in the thread. Let's follow the time honored tradition of blaming the guy who's not here. Shadowdragon. Was he wrong, was he right? It doesn't matter now. He's gone, and we're still here. So it's :argh:HIS loving FAULT!:argh:

You may now return to your scheduled theorycrafting.

Oh and please headcap the coordinator, you came too far to leave him legged and you're not getting away from this.

Atomikkrab you're on the shitlist too now! :argh:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 28, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Guys, guys, let's not blame this on anyone. Or at least anyone currently in the thread. Let's follow the time honored tradition of blaming the guy who's not here. Shadowdragon. Was he wrong, was he right? It doesn't matter now. He's gone, and we're still here. So it's HIS loving FAULT!

:argh:

You may now return to your scheduled theorycrafting.

I can agree on this compromise position.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AtomikKrab posted:

I can agree on this compromise position.

As can I. When In Doubt, Blame SD. :v:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The Dracs really don't have a recourse fluff-wise except mass suicide to redeem their honor? I thought the Coorindinator had a designated successor.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
That's the second mech to burn out while destroyed (this one was much more likely though)!

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 28, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Regardless of whether or not the mission is technically accomplished, what is more acceptably death metal? Trying to run away an inevitably being torn apart from behind or by freebirth infantry, or going out unloading every weapon into the best of your enemy's best surrounding you as your reactor explodes in nuclear fire?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

80-100% causalities is difficult to categorize as a 'win' regardless of objectives accomplished. For the record I would prefer DWM to make for the exit rather than stay and shoot the Coordinators cockpit, but I can not see how he will get there alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MVP goonstar: Takashi Kurita.
MVP Otomo: Oda for guarding that Crazy diamond
MVP SSL: Panther 8 for cockblocking the IlKhan.

• Locked thread