Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Does pumpkin chili freeze well? I made some, but I live alone and I don't think I can eat the whole pot fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hell, unless it looks like a horror movie prop, cheese is ready to go. Do not be feared of it!

Aerofallosov posted:

Does pumpkin chili freeze well? I made some, but I live alone and I don't think I can eat the whole pot fast enough.

Chili = freezes well. The pumpkin bits might wind up getting a little mushy (if they aren't already) but no harm in it.

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
I'm craving for crab and I'm gonna go to the market to get some fresh Dungeness crabs, any recommendations for recipes?

I usually cook them asian wok style but I'm looking for something easier like a boil.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Ok I am making the leap into making some Indian cuisine this weekend. However, at the Indian places we go to...they all seem to have a tamarind sauce. It's not chunky, but rather smooth with a bit of pulp in it.

It is sweet with a strong tangy/sour/slightly spicy flavor to it and I adore it. Question I have tho, is that the tamarind chutney? I was under the impression that it should be more chunky if it were a chutney.

Any ideas on how I could replicate this? Whenever I ask at the restaurants what it is they just say it is tamarind sauce that they make there daily and that's all the info I get out of them.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 27, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Amethyste posted:

Ok I am making the leap into making some Indian cuisine this weekend. However, at the Indian places we go to...they all seem to have a tamarind sauce. It's not chunky, but rather smooth with a bit of pulp in it.

It is sweet with a strong tangy/sour/slightly spicy flavor to it and I adore it. Question I have tho, is that the tamarind chutney? I was under the impression that it should be more chunky if it were a chutney.

Any ideas on how I could replicate this? Whenever I ask at the restaurants what it is they just say it is tamarind sauce that they make there daily and that's all the info I get out of them.

Like this?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Wow...it looks really close to it! :) Thanks!

I'm heading out to get stuff to make lamb rogan josh, so I can pick up these ingredients as well. Appreciate the help!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last night I made corn tortillas and then made chips out of them. Today, they are stale to the point of injuring someone's teeth. Is there ANY hope for these things? I've only done this twice and corn flour around here is cheaper than dirt (it really is!) so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to salvage them if I can.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

scuz posted:

Last night I made corn tortillas and then made chips out of them. Today, they are stale to the point of injuring someone's teeth. Is there ANY hope for these things? I've only done this twice and corn flour around here is cheaper than dirt (it really is!) so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to salvage them if I can.

If they were fried then I think they're done.. Baked ones you could steam until soft then re-bake.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

If they were fried then I think they're done.. Baked ones you could steam until soft then re-bake.
They were deep fried.

Behind the shed I go. Thanks for the info. I also discovered that I fried them for about ~3x longer than I should have. They're really thick so I thought I was doin good :ohdear:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

scuz posted:

They were deep fried.

Behind the shed I go.

If you can't come up with a different tactic, I'd steal give steaming a go before I throw them out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jignx posted:

I'm craving for crab and I'm gonna go to the market to get some fresh Dungeness crabs, any recommendations for recipes?

I usually cook them asian wok style but I'm looking for something easier like a boil.
I'd just steam 'em (call it about 7 minutes a pound) and serve the meat with butter. Dungeness crab has good flavour by itself, unlike say king crab (and other related crabs sold as king crab) which usually profits from the addition of other flavours.

If you're getting them whole and aren't squeamish about the rest of the animal, you want to save at least the fat (that's the yellowish stuff) and the liver (that's the greenish stuff. from a lobster this is called `tomalley'; I don't know if there's a different term for it from a crab). This stuff can be used to flavour gumbo or stock (the gut is good here, too, and less useful otherwise). You can also eat it directly. Fried is common. So's just sorta blended together with a little stock and rice wine (usually served in the shell kinda like a shot of liquor or a raw oyster). I've also had it shirred eggs in something kinda in between an omelette and a custard.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

If you can't come up with a different tactic, I'd steal give steaming a go before I throw them out.
Goin' to the drat stored with my tail between my legs, that's my tactic :suicide:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

scuz posted:

They were deep fried.

Behind the shed I go. Thanks for the info. I also discovered that I fried them for about ~3x longer than I should have. They're really thick so I thought I was doin good :ohdear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilaquiles

Just make them extra wet.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Like this?

How do you seed tamarind? I can't find the pre-processed stuff, but I have come across whole pods.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's a real bitch. You basically have to crack open the pods and discard the shells, heat up some water, chuck in the peeled pods, and then soften up the pulp enough to squeeze out the seeds and fish them out along with all the fibers. There might be some knack to it that makes it really simple, but the one time I did it was enough to turn me off whole tamarind forever.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Was going to try eggplant parm tonight, any tips other than this goons recipe I should follow? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Eggplant_Parmigiana
It looked pretty awesome and I have eggplants and Parmesan so...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like to use breadcrumbs made from fresh bread in my chicken/veal/eggplant parmesan, so the crumbs are soft and moist and fluffy. I think it gets a better crunch than dry crumbs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

RazorBunny posted:

I like to use breadcrumbs made from fresh bread in my chicken/veal/eggplant parmesan, so the crumbs are soft and moist and fluffy. I think it gets a better crunch than dry crumbs.

I was going to do this with the leftover baguette I had and a cheese grater! Seems more efficient and easier (than going to the store)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was going to do this with the leftover baguette I had and a cheese grater! Seems more efficient and easier (than going to the store)
Breadcrumbs you make yourself, like croutons you make yourself, are almost always better than the ones you can buy, with only a few exceptions. Breads with dense, moist crumbs don't make very good breadcrumbs in general---so I wouldn't try making breadcrumbs out of challah, for example.

If you're stuck buying them, I'd get panko instead of breadcrumbs for most kinds of breading, unless you're fretting over `authenticity'. They'll hold up a lot better than most breadcrumbs to oil and so forth. I wouldn't use panko when you're going for a fine, herbed coating, like if you're doing a rack of lamb or something.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What's the best way to go about making spanish rice in a rice cooker?

Also,is mole sauce supposed to be served hot or cold?

sponges fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 28, 2012

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
What is the trick for making soft, rich, delicious cookies? There is an insomnia cookie (http://www.insomniacookies.com/) on campus, and there cookies are just so good. I don't know what makes them so good, but I wish I knew.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Egg yolk?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So, a question of a different kind:

I'm a broke college student and the closest supermarket is half a mile away. I have no car, but there's a CVS pretty close. How do I motivate myself to actually acquire and cook something delicious and not-Ramen?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lt Moose posted:

What is the trick for making soft, rich, delicious cookies? There is an insomnia cookie (http://www.insomniacookies.com/) on campus, and there cookies are just so good. I don't know what makes them so good, but I wish I knew.

Proper creaming of butter may help, but also try underbaking the cookies slightly and than cooling them on the tray for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Doing this means they don't overbake which is what often causes a cookie to become hard.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

I'm a broke college student and the closest supermarket is half a mile away. I have no car, but there's a CVS pretty close. How do I motivate myself to actually acquire and cook something delicious and not-Ramen?

You just do it because eating lovely ramen sucks?

If you want to eat cheap/low effort food, get dried lentils/beans and a bag of rice as well as some spices/tomatoes/onions/garlic/stock and you can make curried stuff for months.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

User-Friendly posted:

Find a friend with a bike you can borrow, or see if there's a local bus line that goes to the supermarket? Either that or put on some comfy shoes and a jacket, throw on some music, and go for a walk. Half a mile's piddling to walk.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

User-Friendly posted:

Yeesh, half a mile? Get in your weight bearing exercise in by carrying groceries home, it's not that far.

Buy what Iron Chef Ricola says and then only buy meat on sale. Do you have an oven at your disposal? Or a slow cooker? Because you can then get cheaper stewing meat and make stews.

Or roast a chicken. Whole chickens can often be cheaper than the equivalent number of boneless skinless chicken breasts beside them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah half a mile's nothing, my closest walkable grocery store is a mile and that's not really much of a trip. If I had a bike it would probably be a piece of cake. Stock up on rice and beans and you'll only have to run to the store for vegetables.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

User-Friendly posted:

Plan a couple large meals. Make a pot of chili and freeze it, then make a baked macaroni. Eat the macaroni for a week or so, then thaw the chili and eat that. By then it'll have been two weeks since you went to the supermarket and you can go again and get some exercise.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Proper creaming of butter may help, but also try underbaking the cookies slightly and than cooling them on the tray for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Doing this means they don't overbake which is what often causes a cookie to become hard.

Thanks! I have some dough in the fridge right now, so that looks like it will be my first method. After doing some more research (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoN0PtsIIQ) it looks like some things to try are:
Substituting half of the whole eggs for egg yolks
Using melted butter
Creaming the butter and sugars, then add eggs
Refrigerating the dough overnight (the hardest part)

I'll report back with my results.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Seriously you can't walk ten minutes to the grocery store?

You motivate yourself to walk ten minutes because the other option is eating ramen. That's your motivation.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Can anyone recommend a good Indian food site/blog that's still being updated? Non-vegetarian preferred.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
How do I brown meat? Like, how hot should the pan be and how long do I do it for.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

User-Friendly posted:

There is tons of stuff you could make and freeze to have at a later date. Chili, stews, soups, red beans and rice. All are fairly simple too. poo poo, you can just cook up a bunch of chicken and reheat for salads and wraps, which is what I usually do for bare minimum effort for lunch during the work week. The only thing you have to worry about going bad there is your greens and tomatoes.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Is there a cheese that is good on a fish taco? I usually just top them with a cabbage slaw and a sour cream sauce.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

Congrats you are a goon, you are suppose to eat nothing but Ramen.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Indian food site/blog that's still being updated? Non-vegetarian preferred.

I follow http://www.indiansimmer.com/

I found her off a recommendation from Steamy Kitchen. Includes meat options, nice photos, and the few dishes I've tried have turned out far better and more complex in flavor than other Indian recipes I've used. She doesn't seem to post super often, but I'm still working through her backlog anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Xandu posted:

How do I brown meat? Like, how hot should the pan be and how long do I do it for.

350-400 for most things (medium to medium high), maybe 500 for beef.

If defrosted meat, pat it dry so that there's as little water as possible on the surface.

As for time, steaks I'll cook to internal doneness in the oven and then just sear at high heat for 30 secs to a minute per side. Other things are usually done at lower temps and for longer, so I just eyeball it and when the color is browned its done.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 28, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Thanks. I was thinking about chili specifically, so the meat should already be basically cooked by the time I add everything else to the pot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

indoflaven posted:

Is there a cheese that is good on a fish taco? I usually just top them with a cabbage slaw and a sour cream sauce.

Cotija or queso fresco are both Mexican leaning and good options. Feta if I have some in the fridge and someone is begging for more dairy.

Xandu posted:

Thanks. I was thinking about chili specifically, so the meat should already be basically cooked by the time I add everything else to the pot?
It should be cooked in the sense that the pieces have been seared and the interior is still pretty rare. Although if you're using ground meat then yes, it should basically be cooked through.